Start by marking “Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)” as Want to Read:
Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)

Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy #9)

Murder is no laughing matter—especially when it comes to marriage. So before Luanne gets in too deep with her new flame, a dentist named Dick, she’d like her best friend to do a background check. Did Dick murder his two previous wives? That’s what Arkansas bookseller and amateur sleuth Claire Malloy intends to discover…

Everything Claire turns up on this would-be blue-beard
Published November 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Tickled to Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tickled to Death

David Caldwell
May 25, 2013 David Caldwell rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, humorous
This is the 9th book in the Claire Malloy mystery series.Claire owns a small bookstore in a college town. Her husband was killed years ago when he was hit by a chicken truck. Her teenage daughter frequently talks in Capital Letters. Her love interst is a detective for the local police and frequently is at odds with her amateur investigations. Her friends are a collection of odd characters who quite often lead Claire into trouble.

This time Luanne Bradshaw, Claire's best friend, is dating a man wh
Rose
May 16, 2017 Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy Joan Hess's Claire Malloy mysteries. They are set in a fictional university town in Arkansas, and Claire runs a bookstore, The Book Depot.
Loraine
Murder is no laughing matter—especially when it comes to marriage. So before Luanne gets in too deep with her new flame, a dentist named Dick, she'd like her best friend to do a background check. Did Dick murder his two previous wives? That's what Arkansas bookseller and amateur sleuth Claire Malloy intends to discover…

Everything Claire turns up on this would-be blue-beard keeps leading her down a slippery slope. The police are determined to prove Dick guilty of double homicide, but Claire's not
The Badger
Jul 04, 2016 The Badger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Claire Malloy series is a step above a Cozy, mainly because you actually LIKE the characters. Claire is the single mother of Caron, a teenaged daughter who's at the age of speaking in ALL CAPS. Claire is also the proprietor of a bookstore (which she doesn't seem to spend much time in, on account of solving murders and trying to calm Caron down to at least italics). Peter is Claire's detective boyfriend whom she's lucky to have, otherwise she'd spend the majority of her time in a holding cell ...more
Sandy Weir
Oct 27, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Given to me by Susan S., I have put it on the bottom of my stack several times in the last 6 months, but picked it up on a whim, as you really can judge a book my it's cover (and Susan's cover was not lovely).
The first chapter hook me more from humor that the cozy image advertised. Plus I liked the main characters.. I think I did, anyway. A well planned plot and divided comfortably to make it a good companion for a trip or appointment.
I have already ordered 3 more Clair Mallory titles.
Margaret
The front cover calls this book "seriously hilarious!" but I found it to be more like "mildly amusing". I liked that it's written in first person and the character of Claire has a rather dry, droll, witty style. Thought it had a rather slow start but enjoyed it more as I stuck with it. I liked the 2 teenagers (Claire's daughter and her friend) and thought that having them lent some realism to the situation.
Nancy
Claire is asked by her friend to help prove her boyfriend (Luanne's) did not kill his previous wives. Claire ends up going to a bird sanctuary. Wife #2 is not really dead, but faked her death to escape with money from the bird foundation. The husband of the owner of the bird sanctuary killed a marina worker and wife #2 killed the first wife. Wife #2 is killed when a boat explodes.
Joann
Oct 12, 2011 Joann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am reading these books as I purchased them at a sale. For some reason I just don't really like the main character Claire. The stories are OK but it's her and I don't like the way she treats people as in her boyfriend. I have 3 more to go but will not finish the series. She really needs to be a better person.
Mary Newcomb

Claire Malloy is a good friend whose detective fame has spread to the next county. Called in to clear a friend's new beau of suspicions regarding his wives' deaths ( really??), she learns more than anticipated.
Jenn Flynn-Shon
At times I felt the Author forced the characters to jump around (thought there were still inside but they end up on a deck or something) but overall an entertaining read. Fast paced and light characters that were easy to follow even though the cast was large.
Elaine
Feb 05, 2013 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not exactly impressive; didn't particularly like that nearly everyone was involved in one way or another except the person who was suspected or that one character ended up dead more than 2/3 of the way into the book.
Vicki
Aug 11, 2013 Vicki rated it really liked it
Easy to read. Entertaining. Couldn't guess who done it!
Pat
Apr 02, 2015 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Claire's friend's boyfriend is accused of killing 2 previous wives. Did he or didn't he?
Bird sanctuary.
Good.
Barbara
Jan 03, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kindle...very distracting while enduring the flu.
Daelith
This one started out a little slow for me, but at least it picked up. Lots of eccentric characters to keep up with.
Dogsandbooks
Jul 06, 2015 Dogsandbooks rated it really liked it
Rereading. Joan never disappoints. This one has a few more unbelievable turns and more spoiled rich people than usual but solid fun.
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Read this in 1998.
Barbara
Aug 13, 2014 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the characters and the frustrations of the heroine. The bird watchers seemed a bit fanatical, but I think that can be true for any group of hobbyists.
Sandy
Oops. Already read it :(. She needs to write something new.
Shirley
Feb 11, 2013 Shirley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Didn't even finish. Guess just not in the mood. Hess I sometimes enjoy, but just couldn't get into this one.
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; Continuing character: Claire Malloy; amateur PI tries to clear the name of friend's boyfriend, who is accused of killing last two wives.
Judi
Jul 26, 2012 Judi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read with crazy humor and lots of characters "with attitude".
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2017
Carla Langston
Carla Langston rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2014
carolyn bartlettx
carolyn bartlettx rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2017
April
April rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2008
Carol
Carol rated it liked it
May 07, 2017
Patti
Patti rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Elinor
Elinor rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2009
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)
  • Icy Clutches (Gideon Oliver, #6)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • A Farewell to Yarns (Jane Jeffry, #2)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast, #18)
  • Bonnie of Evidence (Passport to Peril, #8)
  • Check-Out Time (Pennyfoot Hotel #5)
  • Murder Gets a Life (Southern Sisters, #5)
  • Do Unto Others
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)