Start by marking “Immortal” as Want to Read:
Immortal

Immortal (Immortal #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  88 reviews
IMMORTAL is a first person confessional, penned by a man who is immortal but not invincible. In an artful blending of sci-fi, adventure, fantasy and humor, Immortal introduces us to a world with vampires, demons and other "magical" creatures, yet a world without actual magic. It is a contemporary fantasy for non-fantasy readers and enthusiasts alike.

NOTE: the HIP edition o...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Hamel Integrity Publishing (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Immortal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Immortal

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Unique Narrators
121st out of 225 books — 267 voters
Bloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalThe History of White People by Nell Irvin PainterEven the Dogs by Jon McGregorMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerShadowland by Alyson Noel
Can't Wait to Read That One
23rd out of 43 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Astrid Paramita
Immortal tells a story about Adam, a man who existed (most likely, according to Adam) since the beginning of mankind. He was not your typical immortal superhero guy with superpowers nor was he the most handsome man in the universe. Adam was more or less like a normal human; except that he stopped aging at thirty-two, has a super immune system, and a whole lot more story to tell.
To me, it was a modern book about being immortal. It’s funny and sarcastic (which I love!), and at the same time it’s a...more
Lori
From author/publisher

"Part science fiction fantasy, part action adventure and thriller, Gene Doucette creates the perfect balance of humor and edge-of-your-seat anticipation in this genre-defying story of an immortal man named Adam, who finds himself battling demons and bounty hunters in his eternal search for Eve, the red haired mystery woman of his dreams. Witty and wonderful, with a bite of sarcasm, Immortal is a five star read for any fiction lover. " (Book Blurb submitted by yours truly!)

I...more
Liang
5 out of 5 stars! Wow, this book is a true gem. This was tailor-made exactly to my likings. I give props to the author for being very original. It's got contemporary, historical, lust, fantasy, adventure, and mystery - all blended together. I've always been into the whole immortality concept, but I was so glad this time the main character was actually a human!

So Adam, one of the many names he goes by, is an immortal man who's been around for approximately 60,000 years. During that time, languag...more
Lukáš Lovas
Perfect :) Just....perfect. The homour of this book is the best I've read in some time. I like the language, the writing style.....and I loved the story and main character. I don't like gushing reviews....so I'll just say, that I loved this book, it never bore me, and it made me laugh almost continuously. I applaud the author and thank him for this experience :)
Michael Ryan
This was an incredibly fun romp. A perfect airplane read, the story moves along at a superbrisk but natural pace, glibly covering thousands of years of history in a tightly woven narrative.

Once I got about 20 pages in, I couldn’t put it down. The story is a first-person narrative following the life and times – and a particularly exciting week or so – in the life of Adam, an ordinary man who happens to never age, get sick or, at least so far, die.

Now I’m a sucker for an immortal life story, and f...more
John Herbert
Not only did the good reviews draw me to this book, the Immortal premise attracted me favourably, with its tentative link to time-travel, which I’m a great fan of.
The only concept that made me pause before buying was the inclusion of Demons, Pixies and Vampires etc, which I tend to avoid on a permanent basis.
I needn’t have worried, as they complement the story rather than detract.

I was a bit peeved to see that the book was only available on Kindle, as I’m a book person, who enjoys the solid feel...more
Sue London
Sep 27, 2010 Sue London rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sue by: Gene Doucette
Immortal is probably the modern (and historical) fantasy you've been seeking.

By the end of the first chapter I was fairly convinced that Gene Doucette had found this manuscript between seats on the subway because it had clearly been written as a collaboration by some of my favorite authors while they were sharing a bottle of whiskey. He has the wit of Douglas Adams, the sarcasm of Jim Butcher, the droll plotting of Spider Robinson, and the sly twists of Neil Gaiman, just to mention a few. But do...more
Anoop Menon
Witty, captivating and very very interesting story telling, loved this book and will be getting the second book in the series to see how things go with the lead character Adam; very much love to see this series go on and on... it reminded me of the ryira chronicles (mind you only the characters of Hadrian and Royce and their banter) the mood was also similar.. though the story is not.. I wish Gene would have more to tell than just three books for Adam..
Molly Mortensen
Warning: This is an adult book for violence, sex, and adult humor.

I am a sucker for funny books, so I when I read the summary I was sold. I mean, a funny immortal guy? I’m there.

There’s also more to the world than just one immortal guy, there’s vampires, iffrits, demons and all sorts of other things, which was cool.

I’m still not sure if I like the main character or not. He’s definitely an antihero; killing when necessary, and not always saving people, though he does feel bad about it later. He’s...more
Jonas Drieghe
My relationship with alcohol is complicated. Give or take a few days
here and there, I hadn’t been dry since the speakeasy fire in 1922. By all
normal human standards that would make me a raging alcoholic, except
that by those same human standards I would also be dead by now, if not
from old age then from cirrhosis of the liver. But eighty years for me is like
a glass of wine with dinner for anybody else. - Adam

Adam is a thirty-something-year-old mister average with some extraordinary personalit...more
Hallie
Mar 19, 2013 Hallie marked it as life-is-too-short
Shelves: not-my-cuppa, fantasy
My decision to stop listening (no audiobook in GR atm, and I may or may not have the energy to add it) was a combination of frustration with the audiobook and the things I didn't like about the book overwhelming those I did. First off, the reader was okay except for when he was reading women - especially the medieval French vampire, which was bad enough that I would have returned the audio if I hadn't listened for quite a while already. But pretty darn close in annoyingness was the modern-day Bo...more
Passion For Pages
Review on http://passionforpages.blogspot.ca/20...

When I first heard of Immortal I admit I wasn’t all that interested. Not because I didn’t think it could be a good story but because I didn’t think it was a story I would like.

I was wrong.

I cannot even begin to explain how much I loved this book. Absolutely loved it. The plot was captivating, the characters were interesting, it was funny and amusing – just one of those books I didn’t want to put down and once I had to I couldn’t stop thinking ab...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This is a very personal first person POV story about Adam. Adam is a fairly normal guy albeit more self aware and honest about himself. He is a professed alcoholic with serious intimacy issues. He avoids thinking about or confronting everything, preferring to lose himself in a glass of beer. Adam is the type of guy who makes a good acquaintance, but a bad friend.

I found the humour to be dry and subtle. There were quite a few chuckle-worthy moments, and even more smile-worthy ones.

The ending left...more
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
FUll Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/1/post/2...

Without giving away the plot that develops, I can say that the story gently touches on interesting issues of scientific and business ethics without being heavy-handed or preachy. While there are also some scenes of violence, it is not overly disgusting and the other "non-human" creatures that also exist alongside Adam and play parts in the story are interesting as well. Although there are some sex scenes in the book (Adam is quite appreciative...more
Donna Huber
It isn't often I come across a book that feels like a truly original idea. While I can't say that there is nothing out there like it (I believe there are very few original ideas out there any more), it was definitely a unique read for me. Full review: http://www.girl-who-reads.com/2011/09...
Jenn
Wry, cynical and very funny dialogue made this paranormal fantasy about the misadventures of the worlds' oldest man for me. I'll read the next one just to see what else Adam has to say, and finding out what he did to piss off the 'little redhaired girl' all those years ago.
Michael Loring
Immortal is the first in Author Gene Doucette’s Immortal series, following the immortal man Adam (although that is only his current name) who is the oldest man alive.

Adam is a comical character, surviving his six millennia with wit alone. He’s lived through wars, slavery, political rise and fall, and was there for the creation of just about everything from the Internet to the Wheel.

He’s a very practical character, if not a little diluted by his alcoholism. I enjoyed his musings quite a lot, alth...more
Carrie Slager
[Full disclosure: I requested and received a free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

What I’ve always wondered at is if there really are immortals, how will they live in today’s society where you need an ID to do almost anything? At what point do mortals discover their existence? Well, Gene Doucette certainly deals with that in Immortal.

Adam is probably one of my favourite characters I’ve read about in a long time. Sure he’s a drunken lecher of the first degree, but after...more
Jessica (D2LG)
Oct 01, 2010 Jessica (D2LG) marked it as to-read
* I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. *
Katrina Tinnon
Adam has been around since the beginning of mankind.

Adam takes us through the events that lead to someone discovery what he is. He has a few encounters with other species, and is able to finally figure out how to get rid of one of them. You also get a glimpse back to his earlier times and when he first encountered some of the beings that are after him. His memories back to some of the earliest moments in history shape him and give you an idea of the man he is now.

This is a great book. It's def...more
Scott
This book was fantastic! It's about a man who has been alive for 40,000-60,000 years and currently has a price on his head. It goes through several episodes of his extremely long life, introducing various supernatural (as we think of them) creatures that he has contact with, as well as placing him alongside several major people and events throughout history.

Doucette does a great job of letting you into the mind of an immortal man. He is an alcoholic who doesn't mind letting people know what he i...more
Glass
Review posted on Ja čitam, a ti?

Did you ever wonder what would you do if you knew you'd never die? That you are going to live forever? I know I did. Actually, I was obsessed with that concept when I was much younger. I was terrified of death (and fascinated by it at the same time) - I was a weird kid, I know. That's when I started to get interested in paranormal, mythical creatures as vampires, other religions and their believes regarding life, death and immortality. I read Anne Rice's Vampire...more
Lisa
A big “Thank You” to Net Gallery for the advance copy!

First of all - I want to party with Adam!! This is a guy who knows how to party. He should, he has been at it for 60,000 plus years. And along the way he has picked up all the survival skills to survive that long as our "conquerable" immortal (he can be killed). Life skills we all can live by:

One of the first things I learned was if there’s going to be a mob panic, don’t be standing between that mob and wherever it is they want to go. The se...more
Dr. Ben
I wasn't sure what to expect from Immortal other than what the title gave away (spoiler alert: the main character is immortal) and the fact that it was super-highly-rated on Goodreads. So I came in with little of the way of expectations, which helped, I think.

Immortal starts out pretty amusing with a dry, British sort of sense of humor that reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide (though a bit less non-sequitor-ish) and Lamb (but more enjoyable, to me, since it didn't have the Bible Studies pre-req for...more
Kate
Should I read it? Yes, if you're a fan of comedic fiction. Immortal is quirky, absurd and probably good for readers who want a light read. If you enjoy Douglas Adams' style of humor and don't mind reading a full book of it, you're likely to enjoy Doucette's work.

What's the short and skinny of it? Adam is immortal but seemingly not invincible. He's unsure of the hows and whys behind his immortality, but he's not overly concerned by them, either. He just is and, for the most part, always has been....more
The Sunday Book Review
What would you do if you were immortal? Would you live life to the fullest, always excited as to what may appear at the next corner, or would end up being bored quickly knowing you have forever to do something?

If you’re Adam, the “let’s see what I can get away with” guy, you begin to get bored with so called surprises and begin looking for similarities between cultures and centuries that most would miss, but later end up playing an important part of history. While studying his surroundings seems...more
Hassinger

Immortal is not, perhaps, what one might expect from a novel focusing on a being incapable of death by natural causes. Doucette's writing is fresh, original, and riddled with dry humour. Adam, the frank and somewhat cynical immortal man, does not begin his story with the overdone "first I fell in a vat of radioactive material", but instead asserts that he has, perhaps, been around since the beginning of time; admits that he cannot remember back past a certain point; and assures the reader that h...more
Annikka
Sandra
May 09, 2012 Sandra rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who like snark with a bit of fantasy
What a fun read!!! I was intrigued by the blurb and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book when it became available at NetGalley.

I'm so glad I did. I had a difficult time putting it down for sleep and work and other such pesky time consumers.

The story is told in the first person narrative by Adam, who's been around the block a few times (actually, a few tens of millenia, give or take), a somewhat average guy in looks and stature, and who just happens to be immortal, frozen in time at about...more
Mark
What a great book. This is the story of a man who just doesn't die. He can be killed, but he won't die of disease or natural causes. He's been alive longer than most of human civilization and approaches life with a wry-but-fatigued philosophy, having seen pretty much every face humanity has to offer. He spends his time as a drifter, changing his name, changing his place, trying to stay hidden, and drinking lots of beer.

That would be an interesting story in itself, but Gene Doucette takes it up t...more
Let's Talk Love S...: Immortal - Gene Doucette 2 23 Jun 15, 2014 04:38AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: IMMORTAL and HELLENIC IMMORTAL price drop 1 13 Apr 11, 2014 05:14PM
  • Scary Dead Things (The Tome of Bill, #2)
  • Demonspawn (Damned and Cursed, #1)
  • Dante's Journey
  • Old Haunts:  A London City Novel
  • Tree of Life (Tree of Life, #1)
  • Things to Do in Denver When You're Un-Dead
  • God Touched (Demon Accords, #1)
  • The Awakening (Chrysalis #1)
  • The Book
  • Red Moon Demon  (Demon Lord, #1)
  • Good Intentions (Good Intentions, #1)
  • The Hunted of 2060 (Shifter Evolutions #5)
  • Cursed
  • Crimes Against Magic (Hellequin Chronicles, #1)
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • In Dreams Begin (Harrowing #2)
  • Here Comes Your Man
Gene Doucette is the author of Immortal and Hellenic Immortal, Fixer, and the upcoming third Immortal book, Immortal at the Edge of the World.

As G Doucette Gene is also the author of Sapphire Blue, his first erotic novel.

Gene has written short stories as well: Surviving Hector a thriller, and the ongoing series The Immortal Chronicles.

Gene is also a humorist and an award-winning screenwriter and p...more
More about Gene Doucette...
Hellenic Immortal (Immortal, #2) Fixer Immortal at the Edge of the World (Immortal, #3) Immortal At Sea (The Immortal Chronicles, #1) Hard-Boiled Immortal (The Immortal Chronicles, #2)

“I was suicidal for two solid centuries once. That was during the early part of what they now call the Dark Ages, in medieval Europe. Suicidal tendencies were de rigueur at the time, and I’m nothing if not trendy.” 3 likes
“I'm a pretty sad example of what one should do with eternal life. I've never reached any higher level of consciousness, I don't have access to any great truths, and I've never borne witness to the divine or transcendent. Some of this is just bad luck. Like working in the fishing industry in Galilee and never once running into Jesus.” 2 likes