Start by marking “The Moral Compass” as Want to Read:
The Moral Compass

The Moral Compass

This companion to THE BOOK OF VIRTUES traces life's lessons from those first taught in the home to the countless choices that call virtues into play as we grow older. Offers many moral examples from great works of literature and exemplary stories from history, ranging from tales of Washington Irving to the folklore of Africa.
Published July 1st 2008 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group (first published October 10th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Moral Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moral Compass

Jan 11, 2012 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This, and The Book of Virtues, were my childhood storytime mainstay. Needless to say, I love these books and know them almost by heart!
Oct 04, 2015 Poiema rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner, an excellent anthology in the same vein asThe Book of Virtues. The choice of readings is excellent, each reading is short but rich in moral import. These are pieces that form the canon of our Western heritage, stories to read, reread, and pass along to future generations. The audio version is outstanding. A great resource for Homeschoolers, or anyone who wants to brush up on wisdom literature.
Jul 09, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
I borrowed this book from the library with the intention of having "family reading time". I read the stories myself and kept a list of the stories that I thought my 13 year old daughter would be most interested in. Dang teenagers... she didn't want anything to do with it! As for myself, there were some stories I really liked and others, not so much.
Apr 26, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book on my shelf for a long time and just started reading it the other day. Why did I wait so long? It is very enjoyable, so much so that I have shared some of the stories with my grandson. He liked them as well. This is a great resource book to share with your family. Turn off the TV and read a book (OUT LOUD)some evening. It is great fun and brings your loved ones closer.
Feb 15, 2010 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great book. Read portions of it aloud to kids frequently. Every home should have this book. Love Bennett.
Brenda Cregor
Feb 01, 2010 Brenda Cregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What wonderful memories I have of reading from this compilation to my little darlings. Those were the days!
Oct 14, 2016 Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: pre-high-school
This book is so worn out because I read various parts of this book so many times growing up. I absolutely love this book.
Sep 10, 2008 Rachelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is over 800 pages and I confess I haven't reard very much of it. It is a collection of short stories gathered from all over the world from a variety of peoples and cultures. These stories are those used in different societies throughout the ages to teach morals and values. A check-out from the library is not a sufficient way to use this book. It needs to be owned. So I am adding it to my I-want-to-own-this-book-list. I actually read a few stories to my 4 year old daughter who really li ...more
Nov 09, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection really got me contemplating which stories are of most worth, especially when it comes to telling them to my children. Included in the collection are "The Garden of Frost Flowers" by Francis Jenkins Olcott (great description with a lovely "disobey your parents and you will die" message; severals works of real literature, such as "A Worn Path" by Eudora Welty and "The Drover's Wife" by Henry Lawson; poetry ("Opportunity"); and many good stories ("Rip Van Winkle," "The Little Girl W ...more
Avery Miller
Nov 13, 2015 Avery Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very persuasive. It made you think about life as if you lived life in a different perspective. I have never thought as myself as a "bad" child, but reading stories that make you think as much as this, I would now consider myself a "bad" person. This book not only brought back nostalgia to early days when I would do stunts like those in this book for fun, but this book also taught me a lesson. That lesson is that you are never too old to behave well. Just because your personality ch ...more
Apr 10, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-kids
A wonderful compilation of heroic, character building, and inspiring short stories. I began it with the thought that it would be more of an adult read, and found that it was very appropriate for children and youth as well. Therefore, it turned into a family read.
John Boettcher
Aug 28, 2016 John Boettcher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, great book, but seems a bit hypocritical coming from the author. I think he may need to take a little bit more of his own advice. And yet, he keeps coming out with more books on morals and ethics. Amazing. lol
This book was given to me as a college graduation gift by a dear friend(13 years ago). I'm finally reading it cover to cover. It's the kind of thing where you can put it down, only to pick it up again weeks later.
Jul 12, 2008 Pat rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: can-not-abide
The idea of collecting stories to teach what is honorable, to show good and bad, etc has been done before -- with greater success. I wouldn't suggest this to anyone. In fact, I can't decide to give it away or throw it away.
Jasmine W7
May 16, 2009 Jasmine W7 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dis book is real good. a fabulous book for parents to read to their children before going to bed. parents and their children will learn morals from the touching stories. also a good way for parents to bond with their kids.
Jan 30, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book a few years ago, and really enjoyed it, but I didn't make it very far into the book. I'm looking forward to rereading and finishing this book.
I actually listened to this on CD. It contained enjoyable short stories with overarching moral themes.
Apr 05, 2009 Vickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has great stories on moral lessons. I use it extensively at school for the virtue lessons I teach. Not the kind of book you sit down and read cover to cover.
Stacie Lindsey
Aug 19, 2008 Stacie Lindsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these stories. I love reading them to my kids. I just like reading about good people doing good things.
Aug 16, 2012 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like the Book of Virtues - best to just open up at a random spot and read rather than a cover-to-cover read.
Jan 11, 2009 Carel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our young children slept with this book - no kidding - it was that cherished! However, Bennett's first "Book of Virtues" was their first love.
Brian rated it liked it
May 04, 2008
Brian Hughes
Brian Hughes rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2013
John rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Marilyn rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2011
Sherrie rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2008
Yee Peng
Yee Peng rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2009
Elliot Koh
Elliot Koh rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2012
Lisa rated it it was ok
Mar 16, 2008
Gwen rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards
  • The Folks That Live on the Hill
  • Favorite Poems Old and New
  • A 5th Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul: 101 More Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit (Chicken Soup for the Soul (Paperback Health Communications))
  • It Couldn't Just Happen (Classical Conv): Fascinating Facts about God's World
  • Letters of a Nation
  • The Power of Vision
  • Spot's First Walk (color)
  • A Patriot's Handbook: Songs, Poems, Stories, and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love
  • Migrations and Cultures: A World View
  • A Mothers Rule of Life: How to Bring Order to Your Home and Peace to Your Soul
  • Jefferson and the Rights of Man
  • The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success
William J. "Bill" Bennett is a politician and author who served in the Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush administrations, as chief of National Endowment for the Humanities and later Secretary of Education under Reagan, and Drug Czar under Bush. He is a nationally well-known figure of political and social conservatism and authored many books on politics, ethics, and international relations.
More about William J. Bennett...