Start by marking “The Fall of Damnos” as Want to Read:
The Fall of Damnos

The Fall of Damnos (Space Marine Battles #5)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Captain Cato Sicarius and Chief Librarian Tigurius are Damnos's last hope against relentless--and remorseless--alien enemies, and as they lead the Ultramarines against the foe, Tigurius receives a vision thatat could change the tide of war.
Published April 1st 2011 by Black Library (first published March 29th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Fall of Damnos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fall of Damnos

Darrel Altmann
I was initially very disappointed with this book and I have to admit I nearly quit reading it at 1/3 the way through. I am glad I stuck with as the rest of the book was great.
Seeing the internal politics of the Necrons was really nice to reed.
El-jorro

Bookworm Speaks!

Warhammer 40K

The Fall of Damnos by Nick Kyme Review

The Story: On the frigid, mining world of Damnos, mankind dug too greedily and too deep and an unimaginably ancient foe has been awakened, the Necrons. The undead warriors of living metal swiftly and mercilessly subdue the planet until a single city remains. Captain Sicarius and the Second Company of the Ultramarines are dispatched to Damnos to defend the last city and vanquish the Necrons.

The Good: Lately, there has been some
Andrew Ziegler
I would have rated this with 4 stars, but the ending really left it flat, and that has been the case with 3 of the 4 Space Marine Battles books I have read. Open ended or cliff hanger endings in stand alone novels do not sit well with me.
Patrick Hayes
An enjoyable read simply because the villains of this book are the Necrons, and to find books featuring them are few and far between. These machine antagonists seek to reclaim a world they've been buried under for centuries, and it was only be sheer luck that a call escaped the world asking for help from the Space Marines.

I enjoyed reading from the perspective of the Necrons, though I failed to get a clear idea of why some of the higher level ones were involoved in power struggles. In fact, the
Procrastinador Diletante
Tenho que confessar que demorei quase 2 meses a ler este livro (lendo muitos outros pelo meio) e isso aconteceu, não por falta de qualidade do mesmo mas sim pelo facto desta obra não ser de leitura fácil.

Digo que não é de leitura fácil por duas razões: primeiro, remete muito para um livro anterior ("Assault on Black Reach") onde são apresentadas muitas das personagens deste (todos eles Ultramarines) assim como os conflitos e rivalidades que existem entre eles. Em segundo lugar, há algumas parte
Mick
The fourth entry in the excellent Space Marine Battles series, The Fall of Damnos features the 2nd company of the Ultramarines chapter led by Captain Sicarius and Chief Librarian Tigurius fighting the alien Necrontyr across the surface of the planet Damnos. Like previous entries, and much of the Black Library's output, it's an enjoyable, action-packed, and not particularly challenging read. Nick Kyme broadly follows the template of the series, featuring a Space Marine force taking on incredible ...more
Callum Shephard
Set on the doomed world of Damnos, the story follows the conflict between the Ultramarines’ Second Company and the necron horde which dwelt beneath the planet’s surface. Having been awoken long before their arrival, the astartes led by Sicarius find the world’s military broken and the remaining populace in full retreat. Determined to turn the tide, the Ultramarines mount an assault, but internal politics cause many to question the captain’s orders. After so much has been lost, how can any hope ...more
Michael T Bradley
This was really good, and great fun to read. I'll admit, I started to get some of the characters mixed up toward the end, but most of them stood apart & I enjoyed watching Praexos's arc. Agrippen is my favorite character. He's like the gruff uncle who crushes babies. Ultramarines seem so uninteresting, but both Kyme & MacNeill write them in such a way that I find them pretty fascinating. And the Necrons here are intriguing, as well, kind of insane butchers. My main issue with the book is ...more
Rey Mysterioso
I don't recognize the Cato Sciarius in this book, as I 'met' him in the Ultramarine omnibuses (omnibuxii?) and he was not the same man. At all.

This story was good and told well though. Nice little snippet of history (well, ret-con) where the Imperium first meets the plague that is the Necrontyr.
Ben Weemes
One of the better Space Marine books. It had depth and character development. You actually felt emotions from the Space Marines on multiple occasions. Different than Helsreach and Purging of Kadillus because there was less tactical battle strategy and more character interaction. Also a lot of the interaction happened inside characters heads which was very different from the other SM books. Very good though, great ending and great twists.
Tom
Necrons = good, but new necron codex, entirely disregarding the C'tan, instead devolving the necrons into petty lords and fiefdoms, this book was bland. Ultramarines fight, die, don't get completely annihilated, the necrons are more interesting in a way, as they have personalities, but they lack the old menace of the genocidal machine automatons guided by malevolent beings akin in power to greater demons, if not to the chaos gods themselves.
Shawn
This book in a nut-shell was better than i expected. the story starts off Slow, and i was under the impression that it would be another run of the Mill "bolter's barking, while everything explodes in a shower of meat and gore" or in this case "sparks and wires" but boy was i wrong.. in depth character story like. if you're interested in a good read check this one out.
Jamie Bruce
If I wrote this review directly I read the book, it'd be two stars not four. This was released before the Necron background was overhauled, and at the time it didn't really fit into the universe at all. Now, however, it's strongly interwoven into the greater 40k universe and probably more enjoyable for fans of the universe as a whole.
Matthew Shutts
One of my favorites of the series. It's my fifth battles novel to read and it is by far the most action packed. Filled with epic quotes, deaths, and the most chaotic massive green laser filled battles!!!
Corey Krosting
An entertaining book full of battle scenes, but the author does do some minor, but good character stories as well. Good enough that I tried to read it in small stretches of time when possible.
Rob
Reasonably interesting bit of brain candy. Most likely only of interest to those who know about the Warhammer 40k universe. Realistically there is better science fiction available, though.
Selim Tlili
Necrons are a cool but vastly overpowered concept for the war-hammer galaxy. The writing was so-so.
Toby
good plot ,love the internal politics of the ultramarines and the necrons ,finally there is an enemy that even the ultramarines struggle to fight
David
I loved this book as I thought Sicarus was a hard nut and it was also to have it signed too.
Drayke Larson
Do you like Space Marines? Yes? Get this book, then. Quit wasting time!
Ben Arispe
pretty good read. a little too much human characters
Spartan Warrior
Spartan Warrior marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Maddalena
Maddalena marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Marko Jezernik
Marko Jezernik marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Neill
Neill marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Janelle Debiase
Janelle Debiase marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Paul Walker
Paul Walker is currently reading it
Mar 02, 2015
  • Legion of the Damned
  • Storm of Iron
  • Dark Disciple
  • Fear to Tread
  • Chapter War (Soul Drinkers, #4)
  • Blood Gorgons (Warhammer 40,000) (Bastion Wars)
  • Sons of Dorn
  • The Death of Antagonis

Space Marine Battles (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Rynn's World