Start by marking “Between a Rock and a Grace Place: Divine Surprises in the Tight Spots of Life” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Carol Kent and her husband, Gene, are now living what some would call a heartbreaking life---their son, Jason, a young man who initially had so much promise, is now living out a life sentence for murder in a maximum security prison. All their appeals have been exhausted at both the state and federal levels---humanly speaking, they have run out of options.But despite their ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Between a Rock and a Grace Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between a Rock and a Grace Place

Beverly Frisby
Every parent has their dreams for their children - to be happy, healthy, successful, etc. So what happens when a phone call shatters all those dreams? "Between A Rock and A Grace Place" is the real life story of lives torn apart when the author's son is sentenced to life in prison for murder. How Carol and Gene Kent respond to the pain and sorrow of their son's arrest, trial and imprisonment is told in this tear-jerking, hope-filled and faith-building book.

Carol shares not only their story, but
Shay Michaud
What a different perspective. A book about a family whose son is spending the rest of his life in prison. It talks about hardships and struggles from both the parents and the son. It was cool how God shinned through it all. It makes me look at inmates and their families in a different respect.
After reading Carol Kent's "When I Lay My Issac Down" and "A New Kind of Normai," I knew I had to read " Betwwn A Rock and a Grace Place" as well. She puts into words the difficulties of watching her only child become incarcerated for life, the death of the dream she had for her child and her family, and learning how to come to a new normal in life and flourish there. A set of must reads if you are struggling with any big or small issues in life. Let me warn you, the first book is intense (I wep ...more
Between a Rock and a Grace Place
By: Carol Kent
Publisher: Zondervan

Carol Kent writes from a mother’s point of view, the pain of having a child incarcerated for killing another person. She opens her heart and bears her soul regarding how this event changed not only their lives but the lives of so many people. She openly talks about their journey from the first phone call to the words of “life without the possibility of parole” and beyond.

Although this is about their journey of pain and hurt it is
Nikole Hahn
“Job encountered unthinkable circumstances—livestock stolen or destroyed, servants murdered, children killed, health disintegrated. His wife said, ‘Curse God and be done with it!’ Job’s response is shocking in light of his trials. He said, “we take the good days from God—why not also the bad days?’ When you encounter a major crisis, is your response more like Job’s or like Job’s wife, or somewhere in between?” – Carol Kent

Life in prison.

That’s what Carol’s son received at his arraignment. Jason
Kym McNabney
In reading STORIES OF FAITH AND COURAGE FROM PRISON by CONNIE CAMERON and JEFF PECK, I was lead to MS KENT’S book, BETWEEN A ROCK AND A GRACE PLACE. I hadn’t expected to get as much from it as I did. Not only are you given a glimpse into the life of the Kent’s, but stories from others that have gone through trials in their lives.

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A GRACE PLACE by CAROL KENT is not just for those with a loved one that’s incarcerated. It’s for those that volunteer in the ministry, work in the sy
Lynn Dove
Between a Rock and a Grace Place takes the reader into the life of one family who has faced and still faces the consequences of losing a beloved son. It is not the way you might think. Jason Kent, author Carol Kent's only child, is locked away for life with no chance of parole in Hardee Correctional Institution in Bowling Green for murder. Carol writes with compassion, emotion, and at times painful honesty how their lives have been affected and impacted by this crime perpetrated by her son.

Susan B
by Carol Kent,
Zondervan, 2010

After reading Kent's earlier books, When I Lay My Isaac Down and A New Kind of Normal, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the author's latest book on my (public) library's bookshelves.

Like the previous two books, this one deals with the subject of life after, and in the midst of, difficulty or tragedy. Kent knows her subject well. Her son, Jason, was incarcerated for life without the po
Becky Cook
I did not finish this book because it was far too depressing. The woman in the book son is in prison for murder and the book revolves around him and how they find grace under the current situation. I feel like she dwells way too much on it. She does not move on. I get that it is her son and all but life needs to go on. I saw her hope but then when I turned the page another story of pain filled the page.

When I want to be encouraged by a book I don't want to read countless stories of pain with a
Nora St Laurent
I’m so thankful to have received a review copy of such an inspiring novel. The reader can get the essence of this heart warming, non-fiction book by reading the dedication Carol wrote to her parents.

“Thank you for consistently pressing into the rock and reminding me to find the place off safety and grace in the middle of my darkest hours.”

I appreciated this story filled with hope and joy found in the most unlikely places. Carol Kent not only chares her story of how her and her husband are findin
Encouraging gut level wisdom to keep you going when the going gets tough. Based on Romans 9:33 "Careful! I've put a huge stone on the road to Mount Zion, a stone you can't get around. But the stone is me! If you're looking for me, you'll find me on the way, not in the way." (The Message) Between A Rock and a Grace Place, tells many stories of people who by pressing into the Rock, have found grace for difficulties.
Georgia Herod
Because I've read Kent's previous two books related to their son's having committed murder and being sentenced to life in prison, I knew I wanted to read this volume upon its publication. I love the title! God does show up in the "tight spots of life"--disappointment, disease, divorce, despair, death--providing grace, love, acceptance, courage, peace, strength, forgiveness, among other things. Kent writes with transparency about her own struggles--and then includes stories from others to whom Go ...more
Diane Aldinger-samson
A great non-fiction book on how to deal with difficult circumstances.
interesting from a "Christian's" view. Sadly i believe the authors experience(s) isnt the norm but rather the exception of how "friends" and "christian's" react to anothers hardship. Faith aside, it justified my feelings related to personal trying times. i would recommend this book to those who are dealing with unhappy circumstances and also to those "church-goers" who feel they are following "G-DS" way.
Ruth Spino
Great book filled with raw emotion from a family that bares their soul concerning their real life experience. This book makes you realize you are not alone when facing difficult situations in life. There are letters from the author's son included in the book and there are other real life stories included from other people that make your realize only the grace of God will get you through certain things.
Although this book is written from an evangelical Christian perspective, the insights on maintaining hope in what appears to be a hopeless situation make it worth reading. The author's son is incarcerated in a Florida prison with no chance of parole.
Patti Gamblin
My small group used this book along with a video for our fall study. When going through hard times, it is sometimes hard to find God. Carol Kent has had her world turned upside down and shares how to find Him even in the worst of times.
It's easy for anyone of us to live in a grace place. But when we were thrown into a rocky place, how are we going to live on a stony life. In the book Carol Kent shared her experiences through the darkness passage.
Zodwa Green
If you have lost hope this is the book to read. This book indicates how all we have different journeys in this world,things may happen but we should always remember that we are not in control. Good book.
Robyn Roberts
As always, Carol is authentic and I can't wait to journey through the book with her.
Five stars. Carol always speaks to my heart. Loved this book.
Jennifer Sparks
Another wonderful but heart breaking book by Carol Kent
Very inspiring, faith put to the test.
Brenda E. Miller
Brenda E. Miller marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Lisa Kruger
Lisa Kruger is currently reading it
Oct 06, 2015
Pam marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Margaret marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Ginnette marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
  • My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
  • God's Guest List: Welcoming Those Who Influence Our Lives
  • Capture the Wind for Me (Bradleyville Series, #3)
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Writing for the Soul: Instruction and Advice from an Extraordinary Writing Life
  • Under Fire
  • The Great Exchange: My Sin for His Righteousness
  • The Writer's Desk
  • The Gospel According to Job: An Honest Look at Pain and Doubt from the Life of One Who Lost Everything
  • Max on Life: Answers and Insights to Your Most Important Questions
  • Final Words: From the Cross
  • Subversive Spirituality
  • NIV/The Message Parallel Bible
  • Daphne du Maurier
  • 25 Books Every Christian Should Read: A Guide to the Essential Spiritual Classics
  • The Inspirational Writings of C.S. Lewis
  • Practicing Our Faith: A Way of Life for a Searching People
Carol Kent is hilariously funny, biblically sound, and heartbreakingly transparent in person and in print. Founder and president of Speak Up for Hope (a prison ministry) and Speak Up Speaker Services (a speakers' bureau), Carol is the best-selling author of many books, including When I Lay My Isaac Down, A New Kind of Normal, Becoming a Woman of Influence, Speak Up with Confidence, Secret Longings ...more
More about Carol J. Kent...
When I Lay My Isaac Down: Unshakable Faith in Unthinkable Circumstances A New Kind of Normal: Hope-Filled Choices When Life Turns Upside Down Becoming a Woman of Influence: Making a Lasting Impact on Others (Thrive! Study Series) Unquenchable: Grow a Wildfire Faith That Will Endure Anything Speak Up with Confidence: A Step-by-Step Guide for Speakers and Leaders