Start by marking “Between a Rock and a Grace Place: Divine Surprises in the Tight Spots of Life” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  134 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Carol Kent and her husband, Gene, are now living what some would call a heartbreaking life---their son, Jason, a young man who initially had so much promise, is now living out a life sentence for murder in a maximum security prison. All their appeals have been exhausted at both the state and federal levels---humanly speaking, they have run out of options.But despite their ...more
Published October 5th 2010 by Zondervan (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Between a Rock and a Grace Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between a Rock and a Grace Place

Beverly Frisby
Oct 17, 2010 Beverly Frisby rated it really liked it
Every parent has their dreams for their children - to be happy, healthy, successful, etc. So what happens when a phone call shatters all those dreams? "Between A Rock and A Grace Place" is the real life story of lives torn apart when the author's son is sentenced to life in prison for murder. How Carol and Gene Kent respond to the pain and sorrow of their son's arrest, trial and imprisonment is told in this tear-jerking, hope-filled and faith-building book.

Carol shares not only their story, but
Shay Michaud
Oct 01, 2014 Shay Michaud rated it liked it
What a different perspective. A book about a family whose son is spending the rest of his life in prison. It talks about hardships and struggles from both the parents and the son. It was cool how God shinned through it all. It makes me look at inmates and their families in a different respect.
Tina
Sep 11, 2012 Tina rated it liked it
After reading Carol Kent's "When I Lay My Issac Down" and "A New Kind of Normai," I knew I had to read " Betwwn A Rock and a Grace Place" as well. She puts into words the difficulties of watching her only child become incarcerated for life, the death of the dream she had for her child and her family, and learning how to come to a new normal in life and flourish there. A set of must reads if you are struggling with any big or small issues in life. Let me warn you, the first book is intense (I wep ...more
Sally
Dec 20, 2014 Sally rated it it was amazing
Between a Rock and a Grace Place
By: Carol Kent
Publisher: Zondervan

Carol Kent writes from a mother’s point of view, the pain of having a child incarcerated for killing another person. She opens her heart and bears her soul regarding how this event changed not only their lives but the lives of so many people. She openly talks about their journey from the first phone call to the words of “life without the possibility of parole” and beyond.

Although this is about their journey of pain and hurt it is
Nikole Hahn
Oct 06, 2010 Nikole Hahn rated it it was amazing
“Job encountered unthinkable circumstances—livestock stolen or destroyed, servants murdered, children killed, health disintegrated. His wife said, ‘Curse God and be done with it!’ Job’s response is shocking in light of his trials. He said, “we take the good days from God—why not also the bad days?’ When you encounter a major crisis, is your response more like Job’s or like Job’s wife, or somewhere in between?” – Carol Kent

Life in prison.

That’s what Carol’s son received at his arraignment. Jason
Kym McNabney
Jun 25, 2013 Kym McNabney rated it it was amazing
In reading STORIES OF FAITH AND COURAGE FROM PRISON by CONNIE CAMERON and JEFF PECK, I was lead to MS KENT’S book, BETWEEN A ROCK AND A GRACE PLACE. I hadn’t expected to get as much from it as I did. Not only are you given a glimpse into the life of the Kent’s, but stories from others that have gone through trials in their lives.

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A GRACE PLACE by CAROL KENT is not just for those with a loved one that’s incarcerated. It’s for those that volunteer in the ministry, work in the sy
Lynn Dove
Nov 11, 2010 Lynn Dove rated it it was amazing
Between a Rock and a Grace Place takes the reader into the life of one family who has faced and still faces the consequences of losing a beloved son. It is not the way you might think. Jason Kent, author Carol Kent's only child, is locked away for life with no chance of parole in Hardee Correctional Institution in Bowling Green for murder. Carol writes with compassion, emotion, and at times painful honesty how their lives have been affected and impacted by this crime perpetrated by her son.

She
Susan B
Sep 03, 2011 Susan B rated it really liked it
by Carol Kent,
Zondervan, 2010

After reading Kent's earlier books, When I Lay My Isaac Down and A New Kind of Normal, I was pleasantly surprised to discover the author's latest book on my (public) library's bookshelves.

Like the previous two books, this one deals with the subject of life after, and in the midst of, difficulty or tragedy. Kent knows her subject well. Her son, Jason, was incarcerated for life without the po
Becky Cook
I did not finish this book because it was far too depressing. The woman in the book son is in prison for murder and the book revolves around him and how they find grace under the current situation. I feel like she dwells way too much on it. She does not move on. I get that it is her son and all but life needs to go on. I saw her hope but then when I turned the page another story of pain filled the page.

When I want to be encouraged by a book I don't want to read countless stories of pain with a
Nora St Laurent
Jul 08, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it it was amazing
I’m so thankful to have received a review copy of such an inspiring novel. The reader can get the essence of this heart warming, non-fiction book by reading the dedication Carol wrote to her parents.

“Thank you for consistently pressing into the rock and reminding me to find the place off safety and grace in the middle of my darkest hours.”

I appreciated this story filled with hope and joy found in the most unlikely places. Carol Kent not only chares her story of how her and her husband are findin
Linda
Feb 06, 2015 Linda rated it liked it
Encouraging gut level wisdom to keep you going when the going gets tough. Based on Romans 9:33 "Careful! I've put a huge stone on the road to Mount Zion, a stone you can't get around. But the stone is me! If you're looking for me, you'll find me on the way, not in the way." (The Message) Between A Rock and a Grace Place, tells many stories of people who by pressing into the Rock, have found grace for difficulties.
Heather Gillis
Dec 08, 2015 Heather Gillis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

This book is for anyone going through a tough time who needs inspiration and hope. Great read. Carol really takes you through how to find grace in the hard places
Georgia Herod
May 31, 2011 Georgia Herod rated it it was amazing
Because I've read Kent's previous two books related to their son's having committed murder and being sentenced to life in prison, I knew I wanted to read this volume upon its publication. I love the title! God does show up in the "tight spots of life"--disappointment, disease, divorce, despair, death--providing grace, love, acceptance, courage, peace, strength, forgiveness, among other things. Kent writes with transparency about her own struggles--and then includes stories from others to whom Go ...more
Diane Aldinger-samson
Jun 15, 2015 Diane Aldinger-samson rated it it was amazing
A great non-fiction book on how to deal with difficult circumstances.
Diana
Jul 08, 2012 Diana rated it really liked it
interesting from a "Christian's" view. Sadly i believe the authors experience(s) isnt the norm but rather the exception of how "friends" and "christian's" react to anothers hardship. Faith aside, it justified my feelings related to personal trying times. i would recommend this book to those who are dealing with unhappy circumstances and also to those "church-goers" who feel they are following "G-DS" way.
Ruth Spino
Aug 06, 2012 Ruth Spino rated it it was amazing
Great book filled with raw emotion from a family that bares their soul concerning their real life experience. This book makes you realize you are not alone when facing difficult situations in life. There are letters from the author's son included in the book and there are other real life stories included from other people that make your realize only the grace of God will get you through certain things.
Marion
Nov 27, 2011 Marion rated it liked it
Shelves: inspirational
Although this book is written from an evangelical Christian perspective, the insights on maintaining hope in what appears to be a hopeless situation make it worth reading. The author's son is incarcerated in a Florida prison with no chance of parole.
Patti Gamblin
Dec 29, 2012 Patti Gamblin rated it really liked it
My small group used this book along with a video for our fall study. When going through hard times, it is sometimes hard to find God. Carol Kent has had her world turned upside down and shares how to find Him even in the worst of times.
Georgia
Feb 13, 2014 Georgia rated it really liked it
It's easy for anyone of us to live in a grace place. But when we were thrown into a rocky place, how are we going to live on a stony life. In the book Carol Kent shared her experiences through the darkness passage.
Zodwa Green
Aug 30, 2015 Zodwa Green rated it really liked it
If you have lost hope this is the book to read. This book indicates how all we have different journeys in this world,things may happen but we should always remember that we are not in control. Good book.
Robyn Roberts
Nov 19, 2010 Robyn Roberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
As always, Carol is authentic and I can't wait to journey through the book with her.
Lori
Jul 15, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
Five stars. Carol always speaks to my heart. Loved this book.
Jennifer Sparks
Jul 09, 2012 Jennifer Sparks rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful but heart breaking book by Carol Kent
Barb
Mar 16, 2011 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very inspiring, faith put to the test.
Lucille
Lucille marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Martinha
Martinha rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
P
P marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Dawn Spice
Dawn Spice marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Mary101
Mary101 marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • My Father, My President: A Personal Account of the Life of George H. W. Bush
  • Valkyrie: An Insider's Account of the Plot to Kill Hitler
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • The Law of Rewards: Giving What You Can't Keep to Gain What You Can't Lose.
  • Writing for the Soul: Instruction and Advice from an Extraordinary Writing Life
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • Under Fire
  • Knit Together: Discover God's Pattern for Your Life
  • Capture the Wind for Me (Bradleyville Series, #3)
  • The Fire of the Word: Meeting God on Holy Ground
  • You Can Understand The Bible: A Practical And Illuminating Guide To Each Book In The Bible
  • Spring Rain (Seaside Seasons #1)
  • Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Final Words: From the Cross
  • Subversive Spirituality
  • Blood Covenant
  • The Gospel According to Job
Carol Kent is hilariously funny, biblically sound, and heartbreakingly transparent in person and in print. Founder and president of Speak Up for Hope (a prison ministry) and Speak Up Speaker Services (a speakers' bureau), Carol is the best-selling author of many books, including When I Lay My Isaac Down, A New Kind of Normal, Becoming a Woman of Influence, Speak Up with Confidence, Secret Longings ...more
More about Carol J. Kent...