The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1) (Windham, #1)

The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1) (Windham #1)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  3,170 ratings  ·  372 reviews
AN EARL WHO CAN'T BE BRIBED

Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven, is the first legitimate son and heir to the Duke of Moreland. To escape his father's inexorable pressure to marry, he decides to spend the summer at his townhouse in London, where he finds himself intrigued by the secretive ways of his beautiful housekeeper...

A LADY WHO CAN'T BE PROTECTED...

Anna Seaton is a beaut...more
Mass Market Paperback, 471 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1)

Rane
When it comes to new authors that I pick up to read, I always think of their book as a dish I’ve never tasted before, and this mentality has served me well as I’m rarely disappointed and it’s always nice to have a few recommendations/reviews when trying something new. Grace Burrowes’s The Heir was a yummy debt that was light with a smokin’ hot kick that left me asking for “Seconds Please!”

Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven is at the end of his rope- pretty much. Not only is he having to deal wi...more
Anne

Let me say up front that I think this series has potential, and I'm planning to give the next book (The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2 )) a shot. The dialogue was witty, and the story had some definitely decent moments. However, there were several things about The Heir that got on my nerves.

First, the idiot heroine.
No, she wasn't truly stupid. Which is what made her refusal to trust the duke to help her seem really idiotic.
I mean, he's already asked you to marry him how many times, and...more
Beanbag Love
Very poor pacing and manufactured issues (why don't people just talk to each other?) mar this story about a disaffected earl and his mysterious housekeeper.

If I'd been reading a dead tree book I'd probably have been banging it against the wall by the end as the hero and heroine asked themselves "whatever in the world could he/she mean by that?" well into the 90% range. After an entire book (longer than necessary, IMO) of this kind of willful miscommunication, it gets a little tedious.

Oh, and an...more
Bookaholics
The Heir by Grace Burrowes
Historical Romance Dec. 7th, 2010
4 ½ stars

The Heir is an amazingly touching and genuine regency romance with very human main characters. I enjoyed this authors debut book and look forward to more stories in the series.

Gayle Windham is the poor, beleaguered Earl of Westhave. He is unfortunately, the heir to his father, the devious Duke of Moreland. His father is a crazy wastrel and ran through the familys income putting them near financial ruin. And now the Duke has...more
♥ Beth
I really enjoyed this one and will definitely be looking for more from Grace Burrowes!

The Heir, is the debut romance novel for Grace Burrowes and she has a winner here!

The plot was truly well executed with wonderful characters! I loved both the H/h as well as the supporting characters. The relationship between the Earl and the housekeeper was believable, with great chemistry, I loved all of the wit and the interactions between the Earl and his brothers, and also with his father, the Duke. The lo...more
Verity
The heir & The help.

Ye gods, to quote the hero after fucking housekeeper heroine silly (author’s words, not mine) : Sweet, ever-loving, merciful, abiding Christ, this imaginary, logic-and-conventions defying cocktail left me spaced out. The grandma of all wallpaper-ish regency tales is rife w/ B.S., choppy & incoherent story-telling, chatty characters, overabundance of PDA, a plethora of repetitions, H/h inexplicably calling each other by full names, nonsensical storyline, over-consumpti...more
Dana S
Christy
Dec 17, 2011 Christy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
This book is the epitome of a wallpaper historical. I'm on page 9 and so far:

1) The housekeeper has requested a tray with tea and muffins or cookies.
2) The earl has seated himself on a coffee table.
3) Said housekeeper has cleaned his wounds with disinfectant, and
4) Said earl has proceeded to inform his housekeeper that it is the male servants' half day.

I've heard that she is a good writer but really, why even bother writing historicals if you're not going to pay any attention to the historica...more
willaful
Jan 31, 2011 willaful rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: janet w
Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven, first gets to know his housekeeper Anna Seaton after she bashes his skull with a fireplace poker, thinking he’s assaulting a chambermaid. It sets the tone for their relationship: not the bashing, but the tender care she gives him afterward. As Anna nurtures Westhaven, tending him through his injury, an attack of chicken pox, and the complexities of his reponsibility-filled life, attraction and affection grows between them. But Anna is hiding secrets, and refuses...more
Nisha
I enjoy this theme; a heroine who becomes a sort of mistress to the hero, before they have their HEA. But in many ways, this book surpassed all the books of this type.

Anna, the heroine, and her sister, are on the run. From what, we don't find out until the end. But their circumstance forces them to take jobs, as a housekeeper and chambermaid, respectively. Gayle, our hero, is the heir to a duke, and has been pressured to get married by his meddlesome father. In fact, Gayle has become so frustrat...more
Lady Wesley
After reading all the books in the Windham series (except the one that has yet to be published), I have to say that I liked them, despite some truly annoying flaws. So, I decided to write a series review rather than individual ones. Here’s a little roadmap first. The Windham series is divided between three subseries. The Duke’s Obsession is about his three sons, and his obsession is to see them married and populating their nurseries. The Duke’s Daughters is about his five daughters, and he does...more
TJ
Very promising new author. Burrowes excels in her characters, her writing flows smoothly and the story is engaging, if a little mundane. The biggest problem is the TSTL heroine. HUGE pet peeve! This is where the "first time novel" syndrome screams through - and all the little inconsistencies add up to frustration. Each of the heroines choices just don't ring true to life, given the way the author painted her character - especially the totally incomprehensible reason she refused to trust Westhave...more
Sans
I'm sad to say that I wasn't overly impressed with this. The first half of the book was wonderful. But then the plot started to get in the way and Anna got way too stubborn. Seriously, all she and Westhaven had to do was fucking talk to each other without beating around the bush and without assumptions that the other person magically knows what the other is thinking and feeling and means.

And that last scene before the epilogue? I totally didn't buy it. (view spoiler)...more
Christy B
There were a few things I liked about this book, but most of the time I found myself just wanting the book to be over with.

Let me start with the things I liked about it. The main characters – the earl and his housekeeper Anna – while a nice hero and heroine, were a bit infuriating at times. However, I adored the earl's brothers – Valentine and Dev. They were both quite charming. The dialogue, overall, was quite witty and humorous. The exchanges between the three brothers are among my favorite pa...more
Lelyana Taufik
Housekeeper memang tidak boleh cantik dan pintar rupanya ya.
Itulah yang di alami Anna Straton yang cantik dan pintar saat bekerja di rumah Gayle Windham, Earl of Windhaven.
Awal nya sih saat Anna manjat2 buat nyiram bunga, dan kancing nya tersangkut, dilihat Gayle, di tolong Gayle, lalu mereka berdua terjatuh, dengan Anna menimpa Gayle yg saat itu langsung pingsan karena jatuh terbentur kepala nya.
Anna yang merasa bersalah majikannnya sampai pingsan dan memang keibuan ..ehm..merawat Gayle denga...more
Terra
This was such an incredible book that I couldn't put it down. It carries itself nicely from the first page to the very last at a pace that is perfectly executed. The cover of the book is beautiful but it doesn't begin to do justice to what is in between.

The story has a strong heroine and an even stronger hero with lots of romance and nice hot bits of sex that will leave you tingling in their aftermath.

This is a story of secrets that will drive you to the end of your seat in anticipation, of lov...more
Jacqueline
Dec 11, 2010 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: regency romance lovers
4-1/2 stars

Totally enjoyed it. It had a feel to it that I would label 'earthy'. The people used chamber pots and used curse words beyond just saying 'the devil you say!' occasionally. We know that f*** and s*** are old words. They would have used them.

The actions were mostly believable and realistic. This was one time where I felt that the actions of the hero and heroine were portrayed realistically as to the seduction and the heroine giving up her virginity out of the bounds of marriage to him...more
Diana~
I can honestly say that my heart broke for Anna and Gayle. Their moments together were not only special, but it also signfies that they are perfect and complete for one another. Regardless of their social status and mistrust, in the end, everything will eventually work out. Miss Grace Burrowes, I am officially you're new fan. I can't wait to read The Soldier, the second installment to this series when it comes out next!

First off, I'd like to point out how oddly this story reminds me of Unveiled...more
BonnieL
Who the heck is rating these books? This is getting 4 stars and I'm darned if I know why. The story had possibilities and then it went off the rails. What makes me really grumpy, hence almost certain to give a bad rating, is serious historical inaccuracy - it means the author didn't care enough to do basic research. And there is no way, in Regency England, an Earl blithely thinks he should marry his housekeeper, and his brothers not only agree with him but suggest he do just that, and that his f...more
İlkim
Mirası kim yemiş? Kitabın adını mirasyedi değil de varis felan koysalarmış daha iyi olurmuş. Hikayeye gelince çok da etkilendiğimi söyleyemeyeceğim. Ortaklaşa gösterdikleri kalın kafalılıkla birbirlerine bir türlü tam açılamamaları kurguda en sinir yerdi heralde. Bundan başka söyleyecek pek bir şey gelmiyor aklıma çünkü sıradan bir historical olarak nitelendirebiliriz romanı. Boş vaktiniz varsa, elinizde de pek seçenek kalmadıysa alın okuyun diyebilirim.
Mitzi
Absolutely wonderful book!!! I loved the dialogue, the plot, the whole entire story and can't wait to read another novel by this author!!!
Kathleen
I truely enjoyed this book as a matter of fact I'm not sure if I should rate this higher than a 4 star read for me,

The story was well writen and kept me interested the whole way through. I loved all the charaters in this book and the love/sex scenes where very steamy, just the way I like them.

I know for fact that I'll be reading more of Grace Burrowes book's in the future. I've already added Grace's next book the Soldier to my book's to buy list for 6/1/11.
Jordanoneill99
This was a DNF for me. I had a hard time suspending disbelief enough to go along with a housekeeper splitting open her employer's head (a lord) with a fire poker because she thought he was molesting one of the maids. Not only did he not dismiss her immediately and have her thrown in jail but she and not a physician ended up nursing the wound. To me this was so implausible I just could not read on.
Blodeuedd Finland
Plot:

Gayle, the earl of Wyndham stays in the city over the summer. He is tired of his father trying to find a woman for him, any woman. But then he notices his pretty housekeeper, or more like she makes him see stars when she knocks him over the head. Anna Seaton is not all she says she is and her secret will lead everyone into danger.

My thoughts:

I was a bit worried when I started because I had read two reviews that wasn't thrilled over this book. But the more I read the more I liked it, and I p...more
Heather Wiese
Hanife Albayrak
Rating 2.5/5

Mirasyedi ismiyle münhasır olmayan bir kitap aslında. Ben kitapta miras yiyen bir baş karakter görmedim ama bu mirasyediden kasıt kızımızın aç gözlü ağabeyi ise onun için doğru bir tanım diye düşünüyorum.

Kitabımızın isminden kapağa geçersek gayet güzel bir kapak. Kırmızı cidden kapakta hoş duran bir renk. Ama orjinal kapak olduğu halde amerikada yayıncılardan daha iyi bir kapak beklerdim. Sonuçta dönemi yansıtmıyor. Bizimkilere kızarken onlara ne olduysa böyle? Orjinal kapakta oğlan...more
Katie(babs)
Has a confusing beginning, better middle and then went way downhill toward the end from the sudden change in POV to show the one-dimensional villains.

Also the hero Earl is willing to marry his lowly housekeeper, who is not lowly as she seems. She refuses to marry him but is willing to have him all over the place, not taking into mind that she could get pregnant.

Plus the hero's father is more than happy with is Earl son marrying a servant, seems very out of place and doesn't make sense, at least...more
Katie
3.5 stars.

I was actually surprise at how much I liked this book. The cover is ridiculous. Nice regency era dress. Not.

Anyway, it's premise and cover assured me that this would be a smutty, silly read. Which it was. However, it also had a surprising amount of depth. The hero wasn't the rake that I am so damn tired of reading about.

The heroine wasn't a useless prig. Although the story got a little convoluted and drawn out in the end.

I really enjoyed it.
Annie
It was a but slow at the start for me but I quickly fell in love with the quirky and endearing characters. There's romance in this book, not explicit sex scenes but touching love and romance. I can't wait for the next book! I gave 4 stars only because there were some parts where I expected to be shown heat and passion and frustration but instead was told, not shown but I except the second book to far surpass the first. :)
Elaine Mcdonald
More a 3.5, I did like the book but like some of the other readers, why couldn't she trust the H after everything he had done for her and after sleeping with the guy. Not too believable. I did like the rapport with the brothers. Some sweet scenes, but I wouldn't rush to purchase the other books in the series.
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To Series #1)
  • Just One Season in London
  • What a Gentleman Wants (Reece Family Trilogy, #1)
  • Captured by a Rogue Lord (Rogues of the Sea, #2)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • The Secret Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #3)
  • Lessons From a Scarlet Lady (Northfield, #1)
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Revealed (The Blue Raven, #1)
  • After Dark with a Scoundrel (Lords of Vice, #3)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • The Bargain (Regency #1)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • Barely a Lady (The Drake's Rakes, #1)
  • Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele...more
More about Grace Burrowes...
The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2) (Windham, #2) Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5) Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (Windham, #4) (The Duke's Daughters, #1) The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3) (Windham, #3) The Bridegroom Wore Plaid (MacGregor Trilogy, #1)

“I love you, he thought, because you are honest with me and because you are willing to speak the truth to me when others might seek to curry favor instead. I love you because you are in this bed with me, not trying to conceive the much-awaited next generation of Windhams, but just holding my hand.

-- Gayle Windham”
27 likes
“Even when I cried,” she said, a world of resignation in her tone, “I was glad to be here with you, Westhaven. Believe that, if you believe nothing else of me.”

What she had meant was: Even when I cried because I must leave you, I was glad to be here with you… Believe that if you believe nothing else of me when I find the courage to finally go.”
8 likes