Start by marking “The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)

The Heir (Windham #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,591 Ratings  ·  466 Reviews
AN EARL WHO CAN'T BE BRIBED

Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven, is the first legitimate son and heir to the Duke of Moreland. To escape his father's inexorable pressure to marry, he decides to spend the summer at his townhouse in London, where he finds himself intrigued by the secretive ways of his beautiful housekeeper...

A LADY WHO CAN'T BE PROTECTED...

Anna Seaton is a beaut
Published December 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Heir

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
50th out of 613 books — 1,101 voters
The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaught
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
60th out of 337 books — 656 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane
When it comes to new authors that I pick up to read, I always think of their book as a dish I’ve never tasted before, and this mentality has served me well as I’m rarely disappointed and it’s always nice to have a few recommendations/reviews when trying something new. Grace Burrowes’s The Heir was a yummy debt that was light with a smokin’ hot kick that left me asking for “Seconds Please!”

Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven is at the end of his rope- pretty much. Not only is he having to deal wi
Anne
Jun 23, 2014 Anne rated it it was ok

Let me say up front that I think this series has potential, and I'm planning to give the next book (The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2 )) a shot. The dialogue was witty, and the story had some definitely decent moments. However, there were several things about The Heir that got on my nerves.

First, the idiot heroine.
No, she wasn't truly stupid. Which is what made her refusal to trust the duke to help her seem really idiotic.
I mean, he's already asked you to marry him how many times, and
Verity
May 05, 2012 Verity rated it it was ok
The heir & The help.

Ye gods, to quote the hero after fucking housekeeper heroine silly (author’s words, not mine) : Sweet, ever-loving, merciful, abiding Christ, this imaginary, logic-and-conventions defying cocktail left me spaced out. The grandma of all wallpaper-ish regency tales is rife w/ B.S., choppy & incoherent story-telling, chatty characters, overabundance of PDA, a plethora of repetitions, H/h inexplicably calling each other by full names, nonsensical storyline, over-consumpti
Beanbag Love
Dec 12, 2011 Beanbag Love rated it liked it
Very poor pacing and manufactured issues (why don't people just talk to each other?) mar this story about a disaffected earl and his mysterious housekeeper.

If I'd been reading a dead tree book I'd probably have been banging it against the wall by the end as the hero and heroine asked themselves "whatever in the world could he/she mean by that?" well into the 90% range. After an entire book (longer than necessary, IMO) of this kind of willful miscommunication, it gets a little tedious.

Oh, and an
Lady Wesley
After reading all the books in the Windham series (except the one that has yet to be published), I have to say that I liked them, despite some truly annoying flaws. So, I decided to write a series review rather than individual ones. Here’s a little roadmap first. The Windham series is divided between three subseries. The Duke’s Obsession is about his three sons, and his obsession is to see them married and populating their nurseries. The Duke’s Daughters is about his five daughters, and he does ...more
Bookaholics
Dec 07, 2010 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
The Heir by Grace Burrowes
Historical Romance Dec. 7th, 2010
4 stars

The Heir is an amazingly touching and genuine regency romance with very human main characters. I enjoyed this authors debut book and look forward to more stories in the series.

Gayle Windham is the poor, beleaguered Earl of Westhave. He is unfortunately, the heir to his father, the devious Duke of Moreland. His father is a crazy wastrel and ran through the familys income putting them near financial ruin. And now the Duke has a
Christy
Dec 17, 2011 Christy rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
This book is the epitome of a wallpaper historical. I'm on page 9 and so far:

1) The housekeeper has requested a tray with tea and muffins or cookies.
2) The earl has seated himself on a coffee table.
3) Said housekeeper has cleaned his wounds with disinfectant, and
4) Said earl has proceeded to inform his housekeeper that it is the male servants' half day.

I've heard that she is a good writer but really, why even bother writing historicals if you're not going to pay any attention to the historica
♥ Beth
Dec 15, 2010 ♥ Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one and will definitely be looking for more from Grace Burrowes!

The Heir, is the debut romance novel for Grace Burrowes and she has a winner here!

The plot was truly well executed with wonderful characters! I loved both the H/h as well as the supporting characters. The relationship between the Earl and the housekeeper was believable, with great chemistry, I loved all of the wit and the interactions between the Earl and his brothers, and also with his father, the Duke. The lo
Dana S
Dec 18, 2010 Dana S rated it did not like it
Jacqueline
Dec 11, 2010 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: regency romance lovers
4-1/2 stars

Totally enjoyed it. It had a feel to it that I would label 'earthy'. The people used chamber pots and used curse words beyond just saying 'the devil you say!' occasionally. We know that f*** and s*** are old words. They would have used them.

The actions were mostly believable and realistic. This was one time where I felt that the actions of the hero and heroine were portrayed realistically as to the seduction and the heroine giving up her virginity out of the bounds of marriage to him
Nisha
I enjoy this theme; a heroine who becomes a sort of mistress to the hero, before they have their HEA. But in many ways, this book surpassed all the books of this type.

Anna, the heroine, and her sister, are on the run. From what, we don't find out until the end. But their circumstance forces them to take jobs, as a housekeeper and chambermaid, respectively. Gayle, our hero, is the heir to a duke, and has been pressured to get married by his meddlesome father. In fact, Gayle has become so frustrat
Caz
Jul 08, 2016 Caz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for narration and a B- for content at AudioGals.

As a big fan of Grace Burrowes’ historical romances, I was doing the happy dance of joy when I saw that at long last, more of her novels were going to be made available as audiobooks. My dance was even happier when I saw that Tantor had retained the services of James Langton as her narrator; he is someone I always enjoy listening to, and I feel he really ‘gets’ the author’s very individual and sometimes quirky writing style.

The
willaful
Jan 31, 2011 willaful rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: janet w
Gayle Windham, Earl of Westhaven, first gets to know his housekeeper Anna Seaton after she bashes his skull with a fireplace poker, thinking he’s assaulting a chambermaid. It sets the tone for their relationship: not the bashing, but the tender care she gives him afterward. As Anna nurtures Westhaven, tending him through his injury, an attack of chicken pox, and the complexities of his reponsibility-filled life, attraction and affection grows between them. But Anna is hiding secrets, and refuses ...more
Terra
Nov 16, 2010 Terra rated it it was amazing
This was such an incredible book that I couldn't put it down. It carries itself nicely from the first page to the very last at a pace that is perfectly executed. The cover of the book is beautiful but it doesn't begin to do justice to what is in between.

The story has a strong heroine and an even stronger hero with lots of romance and nice hot bits of sex that will leave you tingling in their aftermath.

This is a story of secrets that will drive you to the end of your seat in anticipation, of lov
Lady Wesley
Aug 20, 2016 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
Finally -- the Windhams come to audio!

Grace Burrowes has lagged behind some other popular authors in adding audiobooks to her catalog, but she is making up for it. The first three novels in the Windham series, along with the two novella prequels, are now available, and goodness I am glad!

I don't think that this is Burrowes best book (it was her first published, after all), but she is one of my favorite authors and I almost always enjoy her books. (There are a couple of outliers.)

Roger Hampton
TJ
Mar 09, 2011 TJ rated it liked it
Very promising new author. Burrowes excels in her characters, her writing flows smoothly and the story is engaging, if a little mundane. The biggest problem is the TSTL heroine. HUGE pet peeve! This is where the "first time novel" syndrome screams through - and all the little inconsistencies add up to frustration. Each of the heroines choices just don't ring true to life, given the way the author painted her character - especially the totally incomprehensible reason she refused to trust Westhave ...more
Sans
Jan 04, 2012 Sans rated it liked it
Shelves: not-my-cuppa
I'm sad to say that I wasn't overly impressed with this. The first half of the book was wonderful. But then the plot started to get in the way and Anna got way too stubborn. Seriously, all she and Westhaven had to do was fucking talk to each other without beating around the bush and without assumptions that the other person magically knows what the other is thinking and feeling and means.

And that last scene before the epilogue? I totally didn't buy it. (view spoiler)
Mitzi
Absolutely wonderful book!!! I loved the dialogue, the plot, the whole entire story and can't wait to read another novel by this author!!!
Diana~
I can honestly say that my heart broke for Anna and Gayle. Their moments together were not only special, but it also signfies that they are perfect and complete for one another. Regardless of their social status and mistrust, in the end, everything will eventually work out. Miss Grace Burrowes, I am officially you're new fan. I can't wait to read The Soldier, the second installment to this series when it comes out next!

First off, I'd like to point out how oddly this story reminds me of Unveiled
BonnieL
Apr 22, 2011 BonnieL rated it it was ok
Who the heck is rating these books? This is getting 4 stars and I'm darned if I know why. The story had possibilities and then it went off the rails. What makes me really grumpy, hence almost certain to give a bad rating, is serious historical inaccuracy - it means the author didn't care enough to do basic research. And there is no way, in Regency England, an Earl blithely thinks he should marry his housekeeper, and his brothers not only agree with him but suggest he do just that, and that his f ...more
Christy B
There were a few things I liked about this book, but most of the time I found myself just wanting the book to be over with.

Let me start with the things I liked about it. The main characters – the earl and his housekeeper Anna – while a nice hero and heroine, were a bit infuriating at times. However, I adored the earl's brothers – Valentine and Dev. They were both quite charming. The dialogue, overall, was quite witty and humorous. The exchanges between the three brothers are among my favorite pa
Lelyana
Dec 18, 2011 Lelyana rated it it was amazing
Housekeeper memang tidak boleh cantik dan pintar rupanya ya.
Itulah yang di alami Anna Straton yang cantik dan pintar saat bekerja di rumah Gayle Windham, Earl of Windhaven.
Awal nya sih saat Anna manjat2 buat nyiram bunga, dan kancing nya tersangkut, dilihat Gayle, di tolong Gayle, lalu mereka berdua terjatuh, dengan Anna menimpa Gayle yg saat itu langsung pingsan karena jatuh terbentur kepala nya.
Anna yang merasa bersalah majikannnya sampai pingsan dan memang keibuan ..ehm..merawat Gayle denga
Carla *Jen7waters*
DNF.
I hate it when the hero gets involved with someone else after meeting the heroine. It's a pet peeve of mine, especially when it comes to historical romance, and the author decides to give me way too much information. Like:

hero: *cute scene with heroine*
hero: okay let me go bang my mistress *cue a rather detailed and rough sex scene*

It kills my mood.
Jordanoneill99
Jan 17, 2011 Jordanoneill99 rated it it was ok
This was a DNF for me. I had a hard time suspending disbelief enough to go along with a housekeeper splitting open her employer's head (a lord) with a fire poker because she thought he was molesting one of the maids. Not only did he not dismiss her immediately and have her thrown in jail but she and not a physician ended up nursing the wound. To me this was so implausible I just could not read on.
Amanda
Aug 11, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Man, I dig the Windham family and Grace Burrowes. I dig them so much I even, apparently, forgave Gayle for sleeping with his mistress who was not the heroine during the book. In a way, that scene (while, blargh) was necessary for the plot because it a) sets the stage for the Duke's obsession, b) shows Gayle's fastidiousness and commitment not to get a child on just anyone and c) makes his "time" with Anna more poignant, in a way. (Are those vague enough terms for you?)

(view spoiler)
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
I truely enjoyed this book as a matter of fact I'm not sure if I should rate this higher than a 4 star read for me,

The story was well writen and kept me interested the whole way through. I loved all the charaters in this book and the love/sex scenes where very steamy, just the way I like them.

I know for fact that I'll be reading more of Grace Burrowes book's in the future. I've already added Grace's next book the Soldier to my book's to buy list for 6/1/11.
İlkim
Mirası kim yemiş? Kitabın adını mirasyedi değil de varis felan koysalarmış daha iyi olurmuş. Hikayeye gelince çok da etkilendiğimi söyleyemeyeceğim. Ortaklaşa gösterdikleri kalın kafalılıkla birbirlerine bir türlü tam açılamamaları kurguda en sinir yerdi heralde. Bundan başka söyleyecek pek bir şey gelmiyor aklıma çünkü sıradan bir historical olarak nitelendirebiliriz romanı. Boş vaktiniz varsa, elinizde de pek seçenek kalmadıysa alın okuyun diyebilirim.
Jess
This has a ridiculous meet cute--the heroine (who is acting as his housekeeper despite being the granddaughter of an earl) hits the hero over the head with a fireplace poker because she thinks he's trifling with a member of the staff--but on the whole, I really liked that. Two books in with this author, and I can tell that there's a definite trend of conflicts that could be resolved if people would actually just talk to each other, but there's a strong angsty vibe that's really working for me ri ...more
Laura V.
Mucho y poco qué decir sobre esta novela. Me gusta el argumento. Aunque no es tan genial como esperé que fuera. Con todo esto de que un casi duque se enamore de su ama de llaves, esperaba EL romance.
Gayle es gracioso, exasperante, terco a veces. Me gusta. Es un chico tranquilo. Sin nada que esconder. Un soplo de aire fresco.
Anna es ...bastante buena en su trabajo. Se nota que le gusta lo que hace, es muy protectora, muy atenta, detallista, más TERCA todavía.
Aun no le cojo el hilo al estilo de
Aspoon
May 11, 2013 Aspoon rated it did not like it
This book did not start picking up until CHAPTER 12...like seriously. First off, Anna was so freaking wishy washy it was absurd. I'm starting to get sick of reading these kind of stories."oh I love you, please don't touch me, I want to be near you, this will be our last night together, yada yada yada"

Second, you mean to tell me that Westhaven is asking you for the truth after he confessed that an investigator is going to give him a report tomorrow, and you say to him you can only tell him 1/2 th
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Feb 05, 2016 05:19AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #174-176 Duke's Obsession (Windham) trilogy by Grace Burrowes 1 1 Sep 08, 2015 05:48PM
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • Lord Ruin (The Sinclair Sisters #1)
  • How to Tame Your Duke (A Princess In Hiding, #1)
  • I Love the Earl (The Truth About the Duke, #0.5)
  • Just One Season in London
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • The Other Guy's Bride (Braxton, #2)
  • The Scandal Before Christmas (The Reckless Brides, #3.5)
  • It Happened Under the Mistletoe (Secret Brides, #3.5)
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
  • In Love with a Wicked Man
  • The Rogue's Proposal (House of Trent, #2)
  • The Dangerous Viscount (The Burgundy Club, #2)
  • Fire of the Dragon (Bestiary, #1)
  • Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • My Notorious Gentleman (The Inferno Club, #6)
  • Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes (Geek Girls, #2)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To #1)
Grace Burrowes started writing as an antidote to empty nest and soon found it an antidote to life in general. She is the sixth out of seven children, raised in the rural surrounds of central Pennsylvania. Early in life she spent a lot of time reading romance novels and practicing the piano. Her first career was as a technical writer and editor in the Washington, DC, area, a busy job that nonethele ...more
More about Grace Burrowes...

Windham (9 books)
  • The Soldier (Duke's Obsession, #2; Windham, #2)
  • The Virtuoso (Duke's Obsession, #3; Windham, #3)
  • Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish (The Duke's Daughters, #1; Windham, #4)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • Lady Louisa's Christmas Knight (The Duke's Daughters, #3; Windham, #6)
  • The Christmas Carriage (Windham, #6.5)
  • Lady Eve's Indiscretion (The Duke's Daughters, #4; Windham, #7)
  • Lady Jenny's Christmas Portrait (The Duke's Daughters, #5; Windham, #8)

“I love you, he thought, because you are honest with me and because you are willing to speak the truth to me when others might seek to curry favor instead. I love you because you are in this bed with me, not trying to conceive the much-awaited next generation of Windhams, but just holding my hand.

-- Gayle Windham”
34 likes
“Is this all you want, Anna?” He brought his arms around her and urged her to lean into him. “Merely an embrace? I’ll understand it, if you do.”
“It isn’t merely an embrace,” she replied, loving the feel of his lean muscles and long bones against her body. “It is your embrace, and your scent, and the cadence of your breathing, and the warmth of your hands. To me, there is nothing mere about it.”
11 likes