Start by marking “Pieces of My Heart” as Want to Read:
Pieces of My Heart

Pieces of My Heart

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  375 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Sinead Moriarty's sixth novel, Pieces of My Heart, is a serious look at a dreadful disease, but it's never a downer because it's filled with Sinead's trademark warmth, humour and compassion. With her thoughtful and insightful analysis of what anorexia can do to a family, Sinead brings to Pieces of My Heart many of the qualities of a Jodi Picoult novel, while still managing ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Penguin Ireland (first published July 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pieces of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pieces of My Heart

Sarah Broadhurst
I have read many of Sinead Moriarty's books and I can honestly say this is my favourite of her books so far. This book is a great read.
The story is about Ava, her husband and two daughters, along with her father who is twice widowed and living with them temporarily, while his new appartment is finished. The story starts as a basic story of family life but soon turns to a more storyline when her eldest daughter, Ali, is dumped by her boyfriend, leading her to develop a serious illness, anorexia.
I
Grace
Feb 26, 2011 Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
As a fan of Sinéad Moriarty, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on her new book Pieces Of My Heart - and with good reason!
The story is told by Ava, a working mother. With juggling motherhood, friendship, work, saving her marriage while trying to control her troublesome father, Ava is oblivious to her eldest daughter’s growing obsession.

Moriarty tackles the serious subject of anorexia head on. Although, it’s not a depressing read as it’s balanced out with hilarious sub-plots such as Ava’s sixty-eig
Diyar Harraz
It took me a gracious 3 weeks to complete the whole novel which after reading the first few chapters, I’m partly engaging and moving by its opening story-line It started off with Ava, a mother of two who was also a wife, daughter, friend, fixer, boss and a lover gazing into the reflection of herself in a mirror. She was in a situation which most women in the whole wide world would be in; dazed and stuck in her multiple roles in life. Just by reading the first few passages on Ava who was self-awa ...more
Leah
Jan 17, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The modern woman is a Jill of all trades . . . Ava is a wife, lover, mother, daughter, friend, fixer, boss … so many different people, in fact, she no longer knows what it means to be herself. Not that anyone will let her – not her work-obsessed husband, nor her tearaway younger daughter, nor her out-of-control Dad, nor even her sassy-but-lonely best friend. There’s always someone wanting something from her.She’s trying to do her best for all of them but lately feels like she can’t make everyone ...more
Hazel McHaffie
Ava is a woman torn between her allegiance to husband, daughters, father, work partner ... but when she discovers her eldest daughter is starving herself her problems escalate exponentially. A sensitive story of the effect of anorexia on relationships and responsibilities, spoiled for me by the unnecessarily prolific use of bad language and the improbable elements (eg. Charlie's sex-mad proclivities, Sarah's colossal ego, Maura's aggressive stalking).
Angela
Jul 15, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of family drama but it was a great read all the same. The family was odd and yet familiar and easy to understand and Ali's illness was caught early and she had a lot of support on her side. Charlie was one of the best characters in the book but Sally was my favorite finally a woman who for once did not want children, I can literally count on one hand how many times I've come across such characters in a book.
Sharon
Sep 13, 2014 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Sinéad Moriarty's books, & this has to be one of her best so far. Her characters are always so real & believable, you become totally engrossed in theirs lives. Some tough subjects to write about, but brilliantly & sensitively done, and with all the fabulous humour I've come to expect from Sinéad Moriarty. Not just a good read, but a thoroughly, enjoyable, wonderful read.
Annette Jordan
My first book by Sinead Moriarty but probably not my last. A really enjoyable read with plenty of humor that tackled the issue of anorexia head on, but with sympathy and understanding. Full of real characters that came to life on the page, my particular favourites were Grandad Charlie, and younger daughter Sarah, who were also the most humorous characters in the book
Aishah Azhan
Sep 27, 2014 Aishah Azhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read! I was really engaged & I couldn't let go of the book until I finished it. The story felt so real, & truly eye-opening of how people's lives are affected by a mental illness. It didn't end with sunshines & rainbows, but rather with a realistic ending. A hopeful one, that is.
Pooja Jeevagan
I am confused between a 3 and a 4...and I would rather go with 3...this book would make you wonder what the main theme was...and yes, though it comes to it, n it's one sad theme, thanks to the awesomely good Sarah, it ensures you never end up with wet eyes...

That's the whole plus and the minus of the book...it had to make u either happy or sad...what I couldn't understand is how anything said by Sarah doesn't shake Ali but even they eyes of her dad shake it...but then, honestly Sarah is the stea
Melissa
May 13, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a powerful story and well written. It took a little while for me to get in to it, but when I did it was brilliant. There were quite a few nights when I was up late reading.

For a story that is related to such a serious illness, there were also some great moments of comedy.
Lynz
Oct 29, 2014 Lynz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Sinead Moriarty is up there with Sophie Kinsella.... Two of my favorite authors.

A very heartwarming story about a family who were faced with a problem most of us don't even think about. It gave me a insight to something I have never really given much thought about. It made me laugh & cry.
Georgie
Mar 11, 2012 Georgie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very enjoyable read, I really liked it. I knew from the blurb of this book what illness Ali would have, but that's just from personal experience I guess. Even though the story deals with some very serious topics (self harm, eating disorders, suicide) and I have dealt with all three, I never felt patronised or made a fool of. The story represents the feelings and effects on those around you incredibly well, and you really do feel for the characters. Alongside the darker topic ...more
Zarina
Jan 21, 2011 Zarina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pieces of my Heart is an amazing novel realistically depicting the problems a seemingly average family goes through. A lot of the issues raised (most notably the sibling dynamic and its impact on both sisters, and the father putting his work before his family) felt very close to home for me and reading about them on the pages was an absolute eye-opener. Despite the sometimes difficult and heavy topic matter there were also much needed light-hearted moments to balance the story and make sure the ...more
Priya
Oct 09, 2015 Priya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"‘Ava,’ Charlie said, ‘there’s a Red Indian after coming into your kitchen.’

This was my first time reading this author, and it took me some time to feel totally comfortable, and then once I got comfortable I found myself asking if it was giving me anything that made me LOVE it...and I had no affirmative answer. But, like the protagonist and most of the characters in this story, you have to hang on, stay the path and be patient until you get the fulfillment you're seeking...and it came to me! The
Aaina Sethi
Jan 07, 2016 Aaina Sethi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book takes you into a different world together. A bit emotional and beautifully written, this made me a fan of Sinéad!
Kelly Morrison
Aug 27, 2015 Kelly Morrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting book, well written with humour despite being about a really tough issue, eating disorders. Would recommend.
Rand  Saber
Feb 21, 2015 Rand Saber rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Like watching a bad movie and the dialogue style of writing didint help
Rebecca
CONTAINS SPOILERS

I thought this book was good. I thought the youngest daughter, while an over the top imitation of a teenager, was hilarious. I liked Charlie and Sally as well. I really disliked Ava and Paul. I know Moriarty would have been trying to portray parents trying to cope with their daughters anorexia but it wasn't done in a likeable way. I did think the anorexia story was really well dealt with, with the small touches such as the fridge being overstocked making it seem more real. Howev
Janice Gosling
Very good book. Sinead Moriarty does not disappoint.
Kristie Little
I liked the book because I could relate to the main character who was trying to have it all and wondering if she was enough. I started off liking Sarah's character, but by the end of the book was annoyed with her because instead of being clever she was brash and rude.
Aan Hussam
May 04, 2015 Aan Hussam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So Involving! Loved it till the end
Gina
Sep 19, 2011 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book really shows you the struggles that can happen in life. Ava is a wife, mother, daughter, friend, fixer, boss...so many different people, in fact, that she no longer knows what its means to be herself. This book takes you on a journey, through the ups and down of Ava's life. One thing this book thought me is that things will always get better with hard work, friends and family.
Carole
Feb 24, 2011 Carole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ava is a mother a friend a daughter and a wife, but she has lost herself, fussing over her father Charlie (a wonderful character) her two daughters, not to mention holding down a job and seeing less of her husband. Something happens which forces things to change.
Hilarious in places, was sorry the book ended i couldn't put it down.
waad
Apr 22, 2014 waad rated it really liked it
It's been a while since i've read such a joyful realistic novel,, i laughed and cried and raced the lines,,
Donna Irwin
Nov 27, 2011 Donna Irwin rated it really liked it
First time I have read this auther, and I really loved this book!!! Thew characters were well drawn and sympathetic, and I went through every step of her daughters battle with Ava. It would have bben a five but I thought the Sally/Simon problem resolution wasnt realistic!
Sai1000
I really loved this book! The cover was appealing and the story itself was really really good and funny at the same time. I love how the author made this story from a mother's point of view..... it was just amazing. I surely recommend this book to anyone. :)
Jo
May 03, 2011 Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a simple easy to read book and despite the subject matter (anorexia) it isn't the doom and gloom tale you might expect. I liked all the main characters as they muddle their way through life. Would read more of her books.
Lynda
May 08, 2012 Lynda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not at all wht I'd expected from the blurb or the picture on the cover,I was expecting my usual beloved chick lit story but this was pretty serious in places dealing with big issues and written so well that it made me cry!!
Alicia
Apr 07, 2012 Alicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was basically only one main plot which did not keep my interest, I kept reading hoping that it would get more interesting but it did not. I didn't like any of the characters either.
  • Kill the Possum
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • Halo
  • Better Together
  • Girl Stuff: Your Full On Guide To The Teen Years
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Whisperer
  • Speak No Evil (Gifted, #6)
  • The Silver Donkey
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • Running Wild
  • Love Lessons
  • And Then It Happened
  • Kate's Wedding
  • The Scent of Scandal
Sinead was born and raised in Dublin where she grew up surrounded by books. Her mother is an author of children’s books. Growing up, Sinead says she was inspired by watching her mother writing at the kitchen table and then being published. From that moment on, her childhood dream was to write a novel.

After university, she went to live in Paris and then London. It was at the age of thirty, while wo
More about Sinéad Moriarty...