Start by marking “Angels in the Er: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor” as Want to Read:
Angels in the Er: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor

Angels in the Er: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  58 reviews
Twenty-five years in the ER could become a resume for despair, but for Dr. Robert D. Lesslie it's a foundation for inspiring tales of angels who are friends, nurses, doctors, patients, strangers, or those unseen but clearly present "others" in the midst of trial. "The ER is a difficult and challenging place to be. Yet the same pressures and stresses that make this place so ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Angels in the Er, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels in the Er

Hana Candelaria
I found this book by accident, while searching for something else. Because I was intrigued by the title and the fact that it's written by a doctor, I decided to download it to my Kindle. I just finished a couple evenings of delightful reading, and highly recommend the book.
Each chapter is prefaced by an easily digestible passage from scripture, which forms the theme for the real-life stories that follow. This author doesn't inundate the reader with technical language, and writes with great comp
Marlee Nicholson
Angels in the ER is an eye-opening account of the experiences of an emergency room doctor. Dr. Robert Lesslie shares his personal stories of what he has seen and learned over his years in this position. This variety of stories allows the reader to witness the intensity of the emergency room, along with the tragedy, heartbreak, oddities, extreme situations and miracles that take place there daily. The stories range from those of auto accidents, patients with persistent heart failure, freak incide ...more
Diana
I liked this book did not find it as gripping or captivating as other books I have read on this subject.
the book gives a scripture reading and then tells a story about his time in the ER. I don't know why, but especially in the first half of the book, the stories just interesting as they could have been. The second half of the book was better, so keep reading. Some of the stories in this half of the book were like reading about family and you wonder what happened next....after people left the
08justinee
I read the book Angels in the ER. Ir was a great book! It was great for two main reasons. One is I loved the real stories and second I loved the medical refrence. I will give you and idea of this book and why I would definetly reccomend this book.
First is the real stories. I loved the real stories! They were crazy and intense. The book includes stories of patients and their side of the stories. It showed a lot of emotion and you can almost feel the pain they are in. The writing is very descip
Kristin
Nov 27, 2009 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like reading true medical stories
I picked this book up from a general store in Lancaster in early November. The store had a strong Christian theme, and the title of the book lead me to believe it too would be focused primarily on the Christian views of the doctor. I'm not opposed to Christianity in my books, and in fact some of my favorite books involved religion, it's just that I know so little about it, that my ignorance if you will makes it difficult to enjoy the book if it is too relgious. Though I did not like the last med ...more
Gaile
This was written by an ER doctor. He describes his experiences of working in the ER. The descriptions of the patients and staff he works with is outstanding. There was some spirituality in this book but no enough to put off readers. I really think it is an outstanding book. I was looking for something light to read and picked it off my bookshelf. This only took me a day to read and was very absorbing. There are three other titles by this same author that I intend to get.
Victoria Heflin
This is a collection of heart wrenching, tear jerking, warm feeling stories that reassured my faith once again... I work in an Emergency Room, I have seen first hand life, death, and everything in-between. In near death experiences all my patients have told me the same thing..there was an angel with them in the their room with long hair and huge wings who stayed with them in the room, I have heard this so many times prior to reading this book...then while reading this book the patients have tol ...more
Sarah Turnage
It is a great story of recognizing the good around us even in bad situations. I repeatedly found myself with the song Angels Among Us in my head.
Ashley
This was a great book. It's about the author and his experiences as an ER doctor. With each chapter, readers are taught new things and/or are reminded of certain things.

One of the things I think this book makes a point of is that "angels" are people who help out when it is needed. And with this book we are taught that angels can be anyone and the deed can be anything; from a smile to giving hot food to a homeless person. Angels aren't just a biblical thing. They are in our everyday lives whethe
Julie
What a great little book. This is a fast read and very inspiring. It also makes me think twice about how I behave around a doctor. They are real people and have real emotions. We expect them to be proffessional and curtious all the time, when in fact they are working just as hard as us to control themselves. I loved all of the stories. Just a caution, there are a few about children that may make you angry or sad. Took me about a day to read this book.
Ray Pace
I enjoyed the stories, it left me wanting to know the final outcome with some of the peoples stories. But, that is the nature of an ER doctor that you only see the people in a short glimpse of their life.
The stories help build wisdom and faith.
Becky Morlok
Can't remember how I came across this series of books by an ER physician in Rock Hill, SC. Given my son is considering ER as a current med student at MUSC, I wanted to learn more about his world and what it might look like in the future. I can only hope he's as dedicated and gifted as Dr. Lesslie. He shares special stories, the essence of what we would all want in our physicians whether in the ER or not.
Carol
Overall an enjoyable book to pick up and put down as needed. As an RN whose first love is the ER, I could relate to the circumstances and it made me think of people who I met while working that could be considered angels. I hope I was one! I'm generously giving it 4 stars, not that there was any reason I didn't like it, it was fine, just not the compelling read that would make me bump it higher.
Brooklyn
What a neat book. I love Dr. Lesslie's stories as much as I love his writing. Want to read the rest of his series. Sending to Mommo to read next. :)
Susan Kasza
This book is a compilation of short stories, collected over many years of Dr. Lesslie's ER work. Some are funny, some are poignant, and all provide a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the patients that come through an emergency room. However, the title is a little misleading. Only the last story is about "angels" in the ER, and some of the stories involved the opposite of "angels".
Carolyn
This book is great in that aspect - you can read a few episodes and you've gotten the beginning/middle/end result all summed up. The book is not gruesome by any means - just about a Doctor and his experiences with different type of clients - his relationship between he and his colleagues and the cases they handle. Some stories make you think and wonder if there is a higher power :-)
Mandy Huot
I truly enjoyed this book, but then again, I love these types anyway. But in regards to the book, it reminds me of an ER version of Chicken Soup for the Soul, because it highlights special cases this doctor has encountered, the funny ones, downright weird ones, and the sad ones. Excellent gift for anyone in or going into the EMS, nursing or firefighting fields.
Sandra Strange
This book tells the stories not of supernatural angels, but of patients, doctors, and nurses who in their attitudes and actions prove themselves to be angels. The ER doctor narrating these stories for the most part experienced by him is patently Christian, and the stories themselves ARE inspirational because they reveal courage and grace in the face of death.
Jessie
This book is written so good that I felt I was actually there. This book really shows you what doctors and nurses in the ER have to go through, and that no matter how hard you try, you still loose some. I've alway wanted to be a ER surgeon or nurse, but this book REALLY inspired me. I'd recommend this book to anyone over thirteen, due too some scary parts.
Meghan Frick
This book was amazingg!!!! I absolutely love this kind of stuff. I am going into the Medical field and reading these stories just interest me like crazy! actually Dr. Lesslie came in today and spoke with my class because we all read it. He was great!!!!!
I recommend this book to anyone who loves interesting stories!!
Rita
I could not put this book down. It is riveting, and chronicles what really happens in a big city ER with the staff and patients and their families. I read this book when my elderly Dad was in the hospital after falling. Dr. Lesslie is an amazing man, and gives his perspective as a professional and a spiritual human. Wonderful!
Tao
This was the first book I told the stories of doctors and it got me pretty addicted to such real life books. This book was filled with tragic moments and inspirational miracles and knowing that the stories told were absolutely true really added to the effect. This is an excellent book that everyone should read at least once.
Jill
I must admit that I did not even finish this book, and lost interest a few chapters in. I was more interested in the stories of the patients who had experiences, than the structure of all of the characters who actually work in the Emergency room, and their lives.
This is a book that will teach you more than you think that goes on in the Emergency Room in the Hospital. Angels in the ER come in forms of Nurses, doctors and Everyday People like you and me. If you enjoy Just being around People you'll enjoy this book.
Donna Martin
Everyone who has ever worked, visited or is even thought about working in a medical setting should read this book...The stories told by this Dr. made me laugh, cry and get angry...but most of all made me say WOW...I am truly inspired by this writing!
Kim
I thought it would be about near death experiences as told by an ER doc, but it was mostly the heroic people who work with the doc. There was one near death experience. The book was interesting to read, but not what I thought it would be.
Christy
I picked this book up at the airport for an easy read on a long flight. I wasn't dissapointed. Each chapter is about different people that come and go in the ER. I thought it was well written and very inspirational.
Melissa
I really enjoyed this book - it is a good book when you need to read in short spurts - and has a lot of uplifting thoughts in it... Although - I think I will have nightmare's about the "ants"!!!
Angie crosby
I wanted to like this, I really did. And some of the stories were good, but overall this book was just boring and flat. It wasn't inspiring. It fell way short of that for me.
Barbara Larsen
Dr. Lesslie shares some of his experiences as an ER doctor. Some inspiring stories but I felt like some needed a little more detail and some seemed to end abruptly.
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • In Stitches
  • Behind the Mask: The Mystique of Surgery and the Surgeons Who Perform Them
  • Men in Green Faces: A Novel of U.S. Navy SEALs
  • Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon
  • First, Do No Harm: The Dramatic Story of Real Doctors and Patients Making Impossible Choices at a Big-City Hospital
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • Bedside Manners: One Doctor's Reflections on the Oddly Intimate Encounters Between Patient and Healer
  • Paradise General: Riding the Surge at a Combat Hospital in Iraq
  • Intensive Care: The Story of a Nurse
Angels on Call: Inspiring True Stories from the ER Angels and Heroes: True Stories from the Front Line Angels on the Night Shift: Inspirational True Stories from the ER Notes from a Doctor's Pocket: Heartwarming Stories of Hope and Healing Angels in the ER and Angels on call