Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi, #2)

Mortal Danger (World of the Lupi #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,471 ratings  ·  172 reviews
Published November 1st 2005 by Berkley Books (first published October 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mortal Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortal Danger

Catherine
I really like the way the author is slowly unfolding this world. Lily and Rule aren't a perfect couple even though they're mates. They're still trying to figure out their feelings for each other, especially on Lily's end. She didn't grow up believing these things so it's harder for her to just go with it. She finds herself questioning her feelings and especially Rule's feelings.

I really liked how the author had Lily feel insecure about Rule's acceptance of fidelity. Just because fate has made y...more
Jess
Ehh.. this one was a tad confusing. I don't want to go into that much detail because it would kind of ruin part of the plot. But I was definitely re-reading parts because I didn't know what was going on.

I like Rule and Lily but I don't know... there's something about this series that just bothers me. It just doesn't quite draw my attention like other series have and I'm not really sure why.

I'm debating about continuing on... I would like to see what happens with Lily and Rule, but I'm just sort...more
Amanda Croley
If the Lupi, gnomes, a sourcerer, and a sensitive werent enough for you, Mortal Danger should take care of that. In the second book in this series, Wilks added an annoying demon, who does grow on you. She also adds a Finder, dragons and many other not so friendly demons. Rule and Lily are still trying to figure out the mate bond, as well as find Harlowe and the staff. Cullen plays a much larger role, and I hope Wilks continues to show us more of his character. I would like to learn more about Ru...more
Katyana
***3.5***

This one is tough for me to evaluate. First and foremost, let's just get this right out of the way: I liked the book. I feel attached to the characters, engaged in what happens with them. And hell, I have already started reading the 3rd in this series.

That said, there were some flaws.

First flaw: I am really not fond of Wilks' tendency to tell us about the action after the fact. This happened in the first book, and it is happening here too. (view spoiler)...more
Tracy
Solid Urban Fantasy Series
If you're looking for a paranormal romance, Eileen Wilks' World of the Lupi series may not be quite your cup of tea. While there are romantic elements in the book - more in Mortal Danger than in Tempting Danger, the series opener - those elements are not the driving plot of the book. If you like your books more along the lines of urban fantasy, then give Wilks a try. You won't be disappointed.

Lily Yu is no longer a homicide cop, but her life and her job as an agent for...more
❃ Brandy ❃
You know... I have no idea what to make of this book. Was it good? Yes. Like book 1, it was difficult to put down. However, It was confusing at times, but I think that was the point. Once you got used to the book being confusing, it wasn't so confusing anymore, if that makes any sense whatsoever. Like I said in my review of book 1, this is NOT a romance series. The romance is in the background of the much larger plot & the events that take place, especially the ones that took place in this b...more
Chachic
Originally posted here.

Mortal Danger by Eileen Wilks is the second book in the World of the Lupi series. I started reading this one right after I read and reviewed Tempting Danger. Should the series be read in order? Yes, because we follow the same set of characters throughout the whole series and it would be too confusing if the books aren't read according to how they were published. For the benefit of those who haven't read the first book, I won't be going into specifics to avoid bringing up s...more
Rhapsody
In all honesty, I really only skimmed this one. I was moderately into the series when I finished Tempting Danger, but this was, from the start, was clearly on a lower level, and it just got worse. Not to say that it was a complete waste of time (I'm giving it 2 stars and not 1, after all), but it just got way too ridiculous. Half the book is spent in hell, for crying out loud. There are demons, dragons, and evil gods--all fine if you're reading real fantasy, but kind of over-the-top for this gen...more
Thenia
A very good audiobook production by graphic audio, with different actors that really got into their roles and special effects that added suspense and extra emotion to the story.

In the previous book we get introduced to many different characters, both good and bad, and some threads remained loose after the events that transpired there. The story continues and some of those loose threads are tied up, while the big bad remains to cause trouble for another day.

For the first part of the book I found...more
Archer
From Goodreads:

Former cop Lily Yu has her sister's wedding to attend, a missing magical staff to find, and now must deal with her grandmother's decision to return to the old country. Lily could turn to the man she's involved with for advice, but for all the passion that flares between them, she doesn't really know Rule Turner--she's just bound to him for life. Rule happens to be a werewolf, and Lily wonders just how far she can trust him.

The Review:

This books starts a few weeks after she is work...more
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
4.75stars really
This installment picks up shortly after book one ends providing closure to those threads. Lily & Rule seemed to be pre-occupied with new relationship-dom. She with the trivia and he with the guilt. This made some of their scenes necessary but not so much a gift as they worked through this theme. This read also featured a large chunk of time in a new location that may or may not become important to the series. However, the time spent in Dis was overlong for my taste. (Though m...more
Sandra
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Ah, I loved this book. I love Lily and Rule, even when Lily is being so very stubborn. So glad to see more of Cullen and I really like Cynna. Glad she was introduced. So obvious she was put there to hook up with Cullen, though. I have to wonder, if they'll be regular mates or if there will be a mate bond. I think the mate bonds only happen when one is a Chosen, though and according to the Rhej, there are other plans for Cynna. We'll be seeing a lot more of her, I'm sure.

I liked the way the story...more
Stephen
Werewolves, Sorcerors, Sensitives, Finders, Dragons, Demons...WOW. This book has it all and a compelling adventure hook that drives the story along to the very end.

Ok, Mortal Danger is the second book in Eileen Wilks' 'World of the Lupi' series. I enjoyed the first book, 'Tempting Danger', but it took me a while to get back to the series. I am glad I decided to pick this one up.

The story picks up very soon after the first book ends. A major plot-line was left dangling near the end of 'Tempting D...more
Amy
Loved the world building in this one and the introduction of (view spoiler)other species. The plot thickens in this one. Not only are more major players introduced but well, pardon my French, shit gets crazy. Lots of implications that all lead to the same conclusion: earth as we know it will be forever changed. Since I read books 1 and 2 back to back this time, I got to see and experience Lily and Rule's relationship progress more naturally despite their mating b...more
Sophia
I found this a very exciting sequel to Tempting Danger. It began close to where the first one left off. These definitely segue into the next story after it so definitely read them in order. Oh, and if you haven't read the first one, you might not wish to read this review because I need to bring up things from the first story.

This one has Rule and Lily tense and frustrated with each other because they can't seem to compromise about anything let alone how they will handle their mate bond. Unbeknow...more
Kerry
I've had this ever since it came out, but for various reasons I never actually started reading it - which is strange as I loved Tempting Danger and the short story Originally Human.

I loved this too. It was great to see more of Lily and Rule - and a 'soulmate' kind of relationship where they still have to work on the relationship was a nice change from the way the concept is often written.

Cullen is back and new character Cynna is a fascinating introduction. Considering she's human with a dubious...more
~Leslie~
Number two in the World of the Lupi series is very good. It picks up where the first one left off. Lilly is now with the Magic Unit of the FBI and mated to Rule. They are trying to figure out what that means. This is Urban fantasy/PNR for grownups. It is a complicated world and the the author includes worldbuilding in a way that is easy to digest. But don't try this one without reading the first. It won't make any sense at all. I love the relationship between Lily and Rule - it is not the usual...more
Nikki
You know what? This series just isn't doin' it for me. My eyes glazed over and I kept having to re-read to make sure I got things straight. It's not bad and its not great. It just is. And with all the other potentially epic books out there, I'm gonna have to quit this series. When I see Paranormal Romance, that is was I expect from the book. Yu and Rule definitely needed more personal time in this book. Yu's grandma is fantastic though. Lately, in the PR genre the romance has been thrown in to s...more
Jen
Lily and Rule
Cynna and Cullen

A great second book in the series. I did have some mixed emotions on this one. It almost felt like Rule was with a different person, another person, another Lily when he was in Dis. He shared stuff with that Lily that the real Lily doesn't remember and is still trying to learn. I think this will kind of haunt them through a couple more books. I can see why the real Lily is jealous of what went on when she was working so hard to try and save Rule.

We met Cynna in this...more
Davinia
the best thing about this series is also the most annoying sometimes :)

No info dumps and only the bare bones of repetition. Which makes this a series that must be read in order because the background story is also slowly unfolding.
I really like the no repetition thing, after all, how many people read a series out of order? But sometimes it might be nice to have a little more background information than we are given. Me as the reader, I'm feeling somewhat like lily, out of the loop, all the time...more
Lea Bourg'
A second book better than the first one in my opinion =)
While Lily and others are still recovering from their clash with "Her", Patrick Harlowe broods over his revenge and with the help of the staff and Her, he gets ready to serve Lily up to Her. Unfortunately, nothing goes as planned with the magic: Rule and Lily end up in Dis accompanied by a demon and a herd of dragons ... while Cullen, Cynna and another Lily are trying to find them.
I enjoyed this book that was rich in adventure and twists. W...more
Sho
Really interesting got to know a lot more of the Lupi culture!
Things I liked
Divided Lilys
Demon world
Gan the demon wasn't treated like a one-shot villan
Cullen and Cynna relationship
DRAGONS!
Things that were so so
Too much in one book
For all that the recue was sort of rushed

Off to the next book.

Mely
Lily Yu's grandmother is AWESOME. I have given the book a whole extra star just because she is so AWESOME.

(Though it's been so long since I read the books that I can't remember if Lily Yu's grandmother actually first appears in this book or the next one. Nevertheless! She is AWESOME.)
Beth
I'm so used to urban fantasy series where the main character stays the main character throughout the series, that this book threw me for a loop the first time it switched to Cynna's POV. Granted, in Tempting Danger, it's almost an equal split between Rule and Lily, with a dash of Cullen thrown in, but that seemed to be so the reader could see how the pull of the bond acted on both people. The Cullen scenes were to keep us in suspense as we learned just enough about the villains to be worried.

Th...more
Margaret

### About the Author

Eileen Wilks is a national bestselling author and

Starfire
Damn, I really enjoyed this one, but I'll be honest - I'm not sure why.

It might be that I just like these characters enough that - as with both of Meljean Brooke's series - I'll happily spend time with them no matter WHAT they're doing. It might also be the originality of the world-building. I do know that the plot in this one went off in weird directions, and that I was happy to keep reading in spite of, rather than because of this.

I also really, really LOVED Cullen and Cynna during this instal...more
~Megan~
I may have liked this book better than the first! I need Lily to just calm down a little bit.....her strong woman routine is really annoying to me.
Shala Howell
Just couldn't get into it. Bored me. Life's too short and my to-read shelf too full for me to struggle with it any longer.
Kathy
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Thunder Moon (Nightcreature, #8)
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Tied with a Bow (Includes: Breeds, #25; World of the Lupi, #8.5)
  • Captured by Moonlight (Moonlight, #3)
  • Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2)
  • Lover Beware (Drake Sisters, #1; World of the Lupi, 0.5)
  • Coveted (Gwen Sparks, #3)
  • Shadow of the Moon (Moon, #5)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Bloodstone (Deadtown, #3)
  • Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
Eileen Wilks’ first book, a Silhouette Desire published in 1996, hit the USA Today Bestseller List and was nominated for Romantic Times' Best First Short Contemporary award. Since then, her books have appeared consistently on national bestseller lists. With thirty two books in print and novellas in nine anthologies, she has been a finalist in the prestigious Rita Awards three times, as well as rec...more
More about Eileen Wilks...
Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3) Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5) Night Season (World of the Lupi, #4) Blood Challenge (World of the Lupi, #7)

“Dogs make sense. They understand hierarchy and the need to cooperate. They come when you call them. A cat though—a cat will take your number and get back to you. Maybe. If he’s in a good mood.” 22 likes
“Women were complicated creatures. Any man who thought he had one figured out simply wasn’t paying attention,” 17 likes