Ashes in the Wind

Ashes in the Wind

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,414 ratings  ·  220 reviews
A novel ablaze with the flames of a magnificent passion that captures the clash of wills of two proud people: Alaina MacGaren, the impudent, plantation bred beauty whose reckless bravado could never be crushed - until she met the one man whose sheltering arms made her incapable of reason...and Cole Latimer, the tall, ramrod straight Yankee surgeon who rescues her, is decei...more
Mass Market Paperback, 664 pages
Published April 1981 by Avon (first published 1979)

Blacky *Romance Addict*

This one is tough for me to rate because there are some parts of this book I LOVED, and some I absolutely HATED!!

First I have to say that I really enjoy the author's writing style, it's so much different from the modern books that it's like in another universe. But that's OK cause it's still great.

What I didn't like here was the story, or how the author chose to develop it, and every major event that happened in the book.
Almost every potential good scene between the main characters was somehow
Glamdring
*Re-read*
*Buddy read with Blacky <3<3<3*

Over the last twenty years I read this book many times, this was my first time in English and it still is one of my all time favorites.

I just LOVE Al/Alaina & Cole. Al & Cole relationship is hilarious while Alaina & Cole together are beautiful, and most of all Al/Alaina & Cole relationship development throughout the book makes sense.

The first time I reached the 30 % mark or so I was devastated but then it makes sense in the conte...more
Karla
"Ashes in the Wind" is set during the Civil War in the South and is about Alaina, a young Southern woman and a doctor who is a Union soldier. Alaina's life and home have been torn apart by the war and she is forced into disguising herself as a young boy "Al" to ward off unwanted attention and to work as a spy. This is a captivating saga that pulls you into the story and you will not want to put it down. You feel the aura of the Civil War around you as you read this book. Expect to experience a f...more
HÜLYA
Rüzgarla Savrulan Küller - Kathleen E.Woodıwiss

Bu roman hakkında ilk söyleyebileciğm şey kesinlikle kaçırılmaması gereken bir kitap...Yazarın en iyi kitaplarından olduğu şüphesiz..Yazdığı romanı tarihsel mekan ,karakterler,mizahı,cinselliği o kadar güzel harmanlamış ki yazar..Yapmamız gereken sanırım kitabın kapağını açıp okumaya başlamak..Alaine ile Cole'ın aşkı,tarihsel kurgu..Özellikle Alaine katlandığı zorluklar yaptığı fedakarlıkları yazar çok çarpıcı bir şekilde anlatmış..Rüzgar Gibi Geçti...more
Keri
It is scary sometimes doing re-reads, because sometimes story lines don't hold up to the test of time. But of course with the great dame KEW writing the story how could it now??? AITW did hold up and I loved the Civil War love story today just as much as I did when I was 14!
Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002"
Aug 23, 2010 Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dani "The REAL Cullens_Girl since 2002" by: bodice ripper group
Okay I guess I am ready to write my review for this book. Reading it was definitely a labor of love for me. I feel as though now that I've read my first Woodiwiss novel I can officially label myself a fan of the bodice-ripper genre.

That said, never in all my years of reading have I encountered a heroine I wanted to slap more than Alaina "Al" MacGaren. Admittedly, one of my biggest pet peeves in a story is the whole "girl-in-pants" deal. I can't wrap my head around the idea of a woman passing of...more
Monica
Okay so I read this book in Junoir High. Shyly and quietly because god forbide any of my friends find out that I was reading Romance!Oh the shame. Anyway it came in a box full of other books and I thought, well Ill just randomly pick one.
Then and there I fell in love with this book. It was such a fun book. It was exciting and totally new experience for me in reading. ( for fantasy is more my stlye)I recomend this book for people who really don't enjoy romances.Yes, it does follow some of the typ...more
Karla (Mossy Love Grotto)
Way too slow-paced. I like long setups, but the characters here didn't grab me to make the investment worthwhile. It went ok for about 250 pages and then became a long, boring slog until the last 50 pages or so, where the big reveal scene was so lopsidedly OTT WTF compared to the rather staid historical that came before it. Messy. I only was able to finish it by skimming.
Patrick
The first romance novel I ever read, and still the best. I all but gulped and breathed it in voraciously, reading while eating, getting up during the night to see what would happen next, only to end up reading all night long, and sighed with satisfaction and gratification, in the afterglow of the end. I read it all, in 3 days.
Rich Meyer
Boy, I really have to start thinking before I read books on a dare...

Oddly enough, Ashes in the Wind wasn't nearly as horrid as I thought it would be. Predictable, yes. Characters of the stoutest cardboard, true. But I didn't mind the writing style as much as I thought I would. There was a bit too much description at times. Anyone who's seen Gone With the Wind, and who would be reading this book if they hadn't, should've been able to easily imagine each scene with a little less than what we are...more
Melis
Abi sen nasıl bir yazarsın yaa. Okurken kalbim resmen ağzımda attı. Kathleen teyza mekanın cennet olsun. Sağolasın varolasın bize böyle muhteşem kitaplar kazandırdığın için. Laaa hala aklımdalar sanırım uzun süre unutamayacam oyhhh
Cheap and Lazy
Kathleen Woodiwiss Classic. If you’re unable to set aside sensibilities for a romance of this age (first published in 1979), find bodice-rippers in general, or cross-dressing heroines particularly distasteful or implausible, your reading time will likely be spent more happily elsewhere. Typical of Kathleen Woodiwiss, this is a long—nearly epic—tale.

For the rest of us:
I’m a fan of this author for several reasons, not the least of which is that she’s the mother of historical romance as we know i...more
Feminista
Oct 31, 2013 Feminista marked it as never-to-read  ·  review of another edition
The big age gap between hero and heroine, and the way it was depicted wasn't to my liking...
Carolyn F.
What a book! As I was reading it, parts started coming back to me and I used to read a lot of Woodiwiss in the early '80s so I must have read this book. The beginning was strange. The middle was horrible, I hated Alaina so much while reading this part. Could she never say anything nice to Cole?!? The last part of the novel was better and the ending was great.

Things that drove me crazy besides the above: Cole being rescued from the river - 2 times. Alaina litterally running into Jacques - 4 time...more
Contessina
Gerçekten kusursuzdu ve kesinlikle kuru kuruya bir romantizm değildi . Yazar , okuru içinde bulunduğu zaman ve mekandan koparıp kendi muhayyel dünyasına atıvermeyi çok iyi biliyor . Kendisi de bir asker ile evlenmiş olduğundan mıdır bilmem , çizdiği savaş manzaraları, hastahanelerdeki yaralıların durumlarını bildirirken kullandığı tasvirler çok gerçekçi . Woodiwiss 'e hayran kalmamak gibi bir seçeneğim hiç olmamıştı zaten .
Ah o doktor yok mu o boyu posu devrilmeyesice Latimer... Bir ara cibil...more
Regan Walker
Captivating Civil War Romance!

When Kathleen Woodiwiss did romance well, there was no one better--and such a novel is ASHES IN THE WIND. To my thinking, it's up there with her best (THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER, THE WOLF AND THE DOVE and SHANNA).

It is a compelling tale of a young Southern woman from Louisiana who loses everything in the Civil War. The Yankees take her family and her home and finally, even her identity. Disguised as a boy for her safety, 17-year old Alaina MacGaren thinks to seek refu...more
Erin
Someone recommended Woodiwiss as the archetypal romance writer, as research for a novel I'm writing about a romance writer, so I gave this one a shot. It's a flawed novel but I loved the experience of reading it anyway.

This is like that SEP novel I read recently, only far better executed. Same basic premise: Southern girl disguised as a boy finds herself at the mercy of a handsome Yankee officer. It's a long book, clocking in at just over 660 pages. A lot of stuff happens. The writing is clunky...more
Chiara Allegranti
Scoperto da sola, mentre cercavo autrici di romance, me ne sono innamorata! Cole e Alaina sono Per me alla stregua dei miei adorati Darcy ed Elusabeth! Altra storia, altro momento storico, altro Paese, ma stesso amore! Che va oltre le convenzioni, oltre la guerra e oltre il loro Orgoglio e Pregiudizio! La forza interiore di Alaina mi ha catturato, in ogni momento del libro, dal primo travestimento per fuggire ad un ingiustizia fino alla fine dove lotta tenacemente per la propria famiglia, passan...more
Mush89
Intanto voglio precisare che sono 4,5 stelle :) Che dire il libro è stato scorrevole e la storia appassionante! I due protagonisti Cole ed Alaina mi sono piaciuti entrambi in egual misura e le ultime 150 pagine sono state emozionanti *-* l'ho adorato davvero: un lieto fine che più lieto fine non si può! C'è stato un punto a circa metà libro che ho trovato un po' più lento e per questo non dó il voto pieno! Per tutto il resto, lo consiglio <3
Nesli
Okuma sürem uzadıkça kitaptan soğurum genelde. Ama Rüzgarda Savrulan Küller'de hiç oyle olmadı. Her sayfada yeni bir heyecan dalgası. Biraz Türk filmi tadında oldugunu inkar etmeyeceğim, ama yazarın tarzı da bu, bol entrika.
Türkiye'de çıkan tüm kitaplarını okumuş oldum böylelikle ve erkek karakterleri içinde Cole Latimer en sevdigim adam olup çıktı. Şu entrikacı, pislik kötü kadın karakterlerini en iyi sindiren, sevdiği kadın için rezil hallere düşen ve asla vazgeçmeyen, ömrünü o kadının yoluna...more
Neisha
This book was the starting of my book reading obsession. I was young and was not interested in reading and my grandmother handed me this book. I was on holiday with my family and I was bored, so I thought what the hell. I couldn't put it down. I have since read most of Kathleen Woodiwiss's books but this is by far one of her best!
Rebecca Piccirilli
i read this years ago as a teen. it was my first romance novel and it is still one of my all time favorites and she is one of my favorite authors of this genre. her heroines are always stong willed and the conflict between the two characters are usually interesting.
Pamela(AllHoney)
Set during the American Civil War. It was a good story but lagged a little in my humble opinion. Alaina MacGaren, a young woman from the south, finds it necessary to disguise herself as a boy, Al. She finds trouble in the form of Yankee doctor, Cole Latimer.
Victoria Williams-Fisher
The best historical novel I have ever read. I absolutely loved it and I read it over and over again!
The history and the setting are perfect. I am extremely particular about what I read because my time is valuable. Kathleen's books are never a waste of time!
Dawn
Just finished. I like that K. Woodiwiss let us get to know the characters and see the relationship develop. A few times I thought, "Come on give Alaina a break, she needs to be with Cole!" I also liked seeing some of their time together.

Long, but good.
Sherrie
This was one of my favorite books from high school. A slight step up from a harlequin?! It is the only book I kept. I think I read it at least three times - I think I'm due for the fourth!
Lise
My absolutely favorite historical romance ever written! The leading man in the book, Cole Latimer, might be the best character in a romance novel I've ever read!
Lena Donan
Už to nie je ako prvýkrát, ale kto by to aj očakával, keď rozostup medzi týmto čítaním a prvým je pekných pár rokov. V každom prípade, jeden z mojich guilťákov :
Misfit
3.5 stars. Enjoyable civil war romance. Full review here, http://misfitandmom.wordpress.com/201...
Andi (A Literal Hottie)
I enjoyed reading this novel even if Alaina annoyed me at times...Cole was perfect and the story stayed interesting right up until the very end.
  • And One Wore Gray (Cameron Family Saga #5)
  • Lost Love, Last Love (Morgan-Challenger, #4)
  • Lady Vixen
  • Tears of Gold
  • Embrace and Conquer
  • Forbidden Love
  • Magic Embrace
Kathleen Erin Hogg was born on June 3, 1939, in Alexandria, Louisiana, she was the youngest of eight siblings by Gladys (Coker) and Charles Wingrove Hogg, a disabled World War I veteran. She long relished creating original narratives, and by age 6 was telling herself stories at night to help herself fall asleep. At age 16, she met U.S. Air Force Second Lieutenant Ross Eugene Woodiwiss at a dance,...more
More about Kathleen E. Woodiwiss...
The Wolf and the Dove The Flame and the Flower Shanna A Rose in Winter Come Love a Stranger