Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret UFOs

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret UFOs (Encyclopedia Brown #26)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Encyclopedia Brown is back, protecting Idaville from swindlers, con men, and thieves. Since 1963 this brainy crime-stopper has been a favorite character among middle-grade readers. Follow the boy detective on ten new mysteries, including the puzzle of a giant shark tooth and the whodunit of a secret shipwreck. As fans of the series know, solutions can be found in the back...more
Published October 14th 2010 by Dutton Juvenile

Anne Hawn Smith
Another great book of deductive reasoning for kids. I am using this in homeschool lessons on critical thinking. Encyclopedia Brown has a detective agency and for a quarter, any kid can get him to solve a crime, check out a story, or tell if a sale is really a good deal.

Most of the mysteries can be solved by middle graders. I only found one that a child would have to have some special knowledge that wasn't typical for this age group.

I enjoy using the books for deductive reasoning, but I wish ther...more
Alex
Oh man, you guys. I walked by this book in the New Section at the library and it caught my eye. I grabbed it and read the copyright date - 2010! An Encyclopedia Brown book published just last year? Of course I had to read it. My 8-year old self would have never forgiven me otherwise.

I re-read a few of these sometime last year as well as a new one I had never read that was published in 2007 or 2008. This one was just as formulaic but had slightly more plausible answers. It gave me a happy peacefu...more
Doc-mok
Still love Encyclopedia Brown!
Annie
Age range 5-8. Encyclopedia helps his friend Flash find out if he should get a picture of a UFO that is sold by the tigers. The tigers (a gang who bullies others)is selling them and claims they're real but with help from Encyclopedia YOU will find out if they are real. I loved the book because there are other mini stories in the book. I also like mystery's so its a good book for mystery lovers.
Brendon Haithcock
This book was great like all the other encyclopedia brown books. It's like multiple puzzles.
Anna
I love a good ol' Encyclopedia Brown book. I solved 7/10 of the mysteries. :P
Matthew
It was the best one yet.

Katie
Katie added it
Jul 12, 2014
Dana
Dana added it
Jun 26, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 22, 2014
Nanako
Nanako marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
May 21, 2014
Beckett
Beckett is currently reading it
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Donald J. Sobol was an award-winning writer best known for his children's books, especially the Encyclopedia Brown mystery series. Mr. Sobol passed away in July of 2012.
More about Donald J. Sobol...
Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1) Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Secret Pitch (Encyclopedia Brown, #2) Encyclopedia Brown Takes the Cake! (Encyclopedia Brown, #15 1/2) Encyclopedia Brown Solves Them All (Encyclopedia Brown, #5) Encyclopedia Brown Finds the Clues (Encyclopedia Brown, #3)