Start by marking “The Guild (The Guild, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guild (The Guild, #1)

The Guild (The Guild #1)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,621 Ratings  ·  346 Reviews
Internet phenomenon The Guild comes to comics, courtesy of series creator, writer, and star Felicia Day (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)! Chronicling the hilarious on- and offline lives of a group of Internet role-playing gamers, the Knights of Good, The Guild has become a cult hit, and is the winner of numerous awards from SXSW, YouTube, Yahoo, and the Streamys. Now, Day ...more
Published November 24th 2010 by Dark Horse (first published April 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Guild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guild

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineSnow Crash by Neal StephensonDaemon by Daniel SuarezCity of Golden Shadow by Tad WilliamsReamde by Neal Stephenson
Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality
21st out of 168 books — 328 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
400th out of 2,263 books — 5,362 voters

More lists with this book...

Felicia
Oct 07, 2010 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: graphic-novels
I HAVE A BOOK I WROTE ON GOODREADS! WOOOT! SO EXCITING!
Is it douchy of me to rate it 5 stars? Ah, whatever :)

This is released early December!
Melki
Jun 21, 2012 Melki rated it it was amazing
Yeah. I gave this 5 stars, even though FELICIA DAY IGNORED MY FRIEND REQUEST! SURE - I'M AN UNHIP, MIDDLE-AGED WOMAN, BUT SERIOUSLY...WHO DOES SHE THINK IS BUYING ALL THOSE "CHEESY BEARDS" AND "8-BIT BABY" T-SHIRTS? FAN-BOYS WHO LIVE IN THEIR PARENTS' BASEMENTS? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

....deep cleansing breath....

Anyway, this is a prequel to the web series.

Meet Cyd. Her real life is nothing to brag about - she has a dead end job, and her boyfriend treats her like a doormat. She's discovered a fanta
Heidi Wiechert
Aug 17, 2016 Heidi Wiechert rated it really liked it
The Guild is a must-read for fans of Day's show and gamers who haven't seen the show may enjoy it too. Other readers may want to give this a pass as it deals almost exclusively with gaming or RL relationships through gaming.

As much as I enjoyed this book, I felt like Day missed a golden opportunity to present the show in a completely different way. Day could have written this as characters in "The Game" with only brief moments of RL intruding into it. It would have flipped the show on its head a
Norah Una Sumner

Really enjoyed reading this - so funny! Why the three stars then? I hated how indifferent she was towards her boyfriend's attitude and behavior. For God's sake woman, grow some balls. And her sessions with her therapist? What the actual hell was that? The rest was pretty cool, I liked the art and her virtual friends. It was definitely better than I expected it to be!

description

Also Felicia is a cutie.
Tamora Pierce
Jan 23, 2012 Tamora Pierce rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I'd heard about the Guild long before I actually decided to read the comics (it helped that I found the downloadable e-book form). I like it a lot! A quiet female hero, based very much on Felicia Day, has a selfish musician boyfriend, a judgmental therapist, and no life apart from the boyfriend's. She decides to try a roleplaying game online and begins to make online friends who look nothing like their avatars, being real people instead of muscular, gorgeous elves, warriors, and healers. The fun ...more
Sesana
Dec 22, 2011 Sesana rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of The Guild web show (and who isn't?) this is really a must read. It's the prequel to the show, explaining how poor Cyd got involved with her guild. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from the show (it is written by Felicia Day, of course), and the art is great. I especially liked that there are two distinct styles for what happens in the real world and what happens in the game. Really well-done, especially for a tie-in.
Holly Letson
I enjoyed this alot more than I thought I would. It's about a girl, who is going through therapy for being anti-social. Her therapist keeps telling her that she needs to form connections with "real" people, but she finds true friends in an MMORPG instead.

She finds out her boyfriend is actually gay, and leaves him. But, ends up with a 30-yr.-bill to pay off in the wake of that.

No matter what happens, her online friends are always there for her.
Celise
Jan 31, 2016 Celise rated it it was amazing
Deeper than I expected in places, this graphic novel is such an enjoyable look into Felicia Day's world. Fans of the web series should definitely consider checking out this adaptation. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't familiar with the series, or with Felicia, as the show goes more into character development and makes the story clearer. I treated this as more of a companion.

The art was the highlight for me. Jim Rugg switches between his normal drawing style for the parts that take pl
Gary Butler
Jan 31, 2016 Gary Butler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book is less than 80 pages which is the cut off line for a book to be entered onto my all time book list. I do not really consider this to be a book at all. This is a mere 79 pages, which gets it a written review instead of a video review. If you’re a fan of the web series this is a real treat. If you’re not this is still a real treat. Beautifully written, funny, and surprising. This is one of the best prequels I have ever read or seen. Well Done! 5 out of 5.
Elizabeth
Jan 01, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Hilarious and nerdy and awesome. We meet a few new characters in this one!

Merged review:

I love these comics! Some of the drawings are a big wonky, but still a great read and fun fun fun!

Merged review:

I love it! Very similar to the show. I mean, it's written by F.Day. Also, great visuals. :]
Nina
May 28, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the webseries
Shelves: comics
As a long-time fan of the webseries, I'll admit that I was a bit wary of buying the comic - I was afraid that it just wouldn't do the show justice.

I'm glad that I did get it though. The copy is authored by Felicia Day herself, so the tone of the show and the voices of the characters are perfectly preserved, and come to life as fully on-paper as they do on the computer screen. The story follows Cyd/Codex (played by Felicia Day in the series)'s life before becoming part of the Knights of Good. Th
Tisha
Mar 18, 2016 Tisha rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I gave it five stars but that is probably because I love Felicia day, I love the Guild series (DVD, i'm not cool enough to have watched the web series) and I have a new found love for graphic novels.

If you are like me for at least one of the three points above then I bet you too would enjoy this book!
Michael
Mar 21, 2015 Michael rated it it was ok
Cyd ist Mitte 20 und mit ihrem Leben nicht zufrieden. Sie spielt Geige - wenn auch nicht die erste - in einem Orchester und hat einen Freund, den sie getrost zum Teufel jagen könnte. Doch ein freundliches Wort von ihm, und schon läßt sie sich aufs neue schamlos ausnutzen. Cyd ist neurotisch und ihre Eltern bezahlen ihre psychotherapeutischen Sitzungen, aus denen Cyd auch keinen Nutzen zu ziehen vermag. Überhaupt: der Umgang mit anderen Menschen ist ihr Hauptproblem.
Das alles ist Jammern auf hohe
Stephan Clifford
Jan 20, 2012 Stephan Clifford rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Absolutely one of the best comics about gamers out there. So refreshing to read something from a female's perspective. I would say this is a must read or a must gift for a gamer or someone interested in getting the girlfriend/daughter/wife into comics. The artwork is beautiful and Ms. Day's voice really comes across in the narrative (and she's just a fun person to be a fan of, check her out!)
Michelle Morrell
Yes, technically I already read this earlier in the year, as the three individual comics were released. But I couldn't resist upgrading to the trade and there *was* some new material, so I'm counting it again :) Love it, of course. It has nothing to do with playing a healer myself.
Joy
Cyd Sherman is a twenty-something with a dead-end job and loser boyfriend, but she finds friendship and adventure in an online RPG. Prequel to the webcomic.
Cathy
Sep 13, 2015 Cathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I’ve been following Felicia Day’s career for a while. I’ve seen the YouTube series "The Guild" as well as her participation in the "Geek and Sundry" channel. So I started reading this graphic novel first volume with high expectations.
This first volume can be considered a prelude to what we find in the youtube series. Despite having liked the original format, the comic didn’t work so well. It seemed slower, the characters less interesting and the exaggerated attempt of making the graphics stick t
Librarysteph
Mar 18, 2011 Librarysteph rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gamers, girls, guild fans, fans of MMORPG, felicia day fans
I think I've mentioned my love of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog before on the blog. Whenever I mentioned this, or purchase something related to it (like the comics) people suggested I check out The Guild. This partly because Felicia Day who played Penny is the writer/actress, partly because it's another web-based video series, and partly because it's awesome geekyness that Dr. Horrible nerds are likely to appreciate.

I watched 4 seasons of The Guild in 2 days (the episodes are REALLY short) and
Bry
Sep 11, 2011 Bry rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2011
This was adorable! I am a fan of the web show and was excited to see that they had made it into a graphic novel. The story is a prequel to the web shows and focuses on how Cyd started her journey/addiction into the world of 'The Game'.

I liked this comic so much because despite how the feelings and intentions in comics can somewhat be understated (pushed to the background to use the limited space for action/dialog)you really got to know Cyd and all of her quirks/eccentricities.

The best thing ab
Justin
May 20, 2011 Justin rated it really liked it
After a protracted spell of buying any and all graphic novels I could get my hands on for the past seven months, I’ve finally come to my senses a little bit. I now try to stick to large collections and long one-off stories, and refrain from investing in graphic novels that are under 150 pages or so unless I know I want to own it. This one falls into that latter category. I’m enough of a fan of the web series that I ordered this graphic novel simply out of loyalty. I figured it would be an extra ...more
the golden witch.
If you know me, I love me some “Guild” action, and I’ve always kind of mourned the fact that each episode is so short (well, yeah, it’s a web series, but still…). But now that we have another season being filmed at the moment AND the comics coming out each month, my Codex craving has been satisfied — for now.

I’ll admit it: I totally have a girl crush on the awesome Felicia Day. But not only does she act well, but she writes well, too – which has only been proven repeatedly throughout “The Guild”
Jannah
Aug 12, 2015 Jannah rated it really liked it
A graphic novel that precludes The Guild webseries videos. Tells the story of how The Knights of Good came to be, all the while perfectly capturing the awkward loner who is Codex in her ramblings.
Probably best if you've watched the show already, actually. Or if you read it before you start, then watch it for a while, then come back and read it again to understand it a little better. Having watched it, I found the graphic novel a wonderful companion to the series.
Brandon
Jul 21, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it
This book is a prequel to the excellent web series of the same name and tells the story of how Cyd - the Felicia Day character - first joins the MMORPG and than met the off beat characters that form the online community that gives the series it's name. This book retains the same subtle, nerdy humor of the web series and stays true to all the characters and also employs two different artistic styles that show both the real world and gamer world that Cyd inhabits. It also adds a few more character ...more
Devi
Apr 14, 2012 Devi rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful addition to The Guild's storyline. The Guild comic is a prequel to the web series we all know and love. All your favourite characters are present and their voices seem to leap from the page to sound in your mind. The artwork was well done and fit the story style well. Felicia Day did a wonderful job writing the script and fans are even rewarded with glimpses of The Axis of Anarchy in the background. I would highly recommend this book to any Guild fan, especially those intere ...more
Brian
Apr 03, 2015 Brian rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, media
fun prequel to the web series

(also counts in 2015 Reading Challenge as book based on or turned into a TV series....hey, I watched it on Netflix on my TV)
Joseph R.
Feb 09, 2016 Joseph R. rated it really liked it
In this prequel to the web series The Guild, Cyd Sherman is working as a violinist in an orchestra. Her boyfriend Trevor was in the orchestra but he's trying to hit the big time with a pop band (even though he plays the cello). Being supportive, she takes flyers for the band's next big gig to various shops in town. She goes to a video game store where she gets the owner to put up the flyer if she buys something. She gets "The Game," an MMORPG or Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game set ...more
Meepelous
Sep 29, 2015 Meepelous rated it really liked it
Picking up this comic I was a bit torn. While I was a pretty die hard fan of the web series back in the day, the art in this book did not look very good. I mean no disrespect Mr. Rugg, lord knows I can't draw, but your sense of proportion kept breaking me out of the story.

That said, there were a number visual things I did really appreciate. I thought the panels in this comic were really good. Lots of dynamic angles and good text placement. I also liked how he switched back and forth between two
Jay
Oct 15, 2010 Jay rated it it was amazing
More introduction/backstory, this time with added gay! Still loving the art, too.

Merged review:

More gay! More violins! I want more violins!

Merged review:

This is a nice introduction to The Guild series proper, and allows some good backstory. And hey, it's Felicia Day.

I really liked the illustrations of the in-game story line. I'm always kind of disappointed when the cover art is so lovely and nice and the drawings inside are just... not. So hooray for fancy-pants drawing!
Steve Groll
Dec 30, 2010 Steve Groll rated it it was amazing
I never was a fan of comic books. In fact, I never even was able to finish one. Maybe it is because I am such a big fan of "The Guild," I loved the book. First comic book I ever finished. If you are a fan of "The Guild," a fan of comic books, or you are a gamer you will enjoy the book. If you do not know anything about "The Guild," you will enjoy the story and want to see the webisodes. This prequel fits perfectly with the webisode story.
Kirra
Aug 23, 2016 Kirra rated it it was amazing
I can't remember how I even found The Guild on YouTube years ago but I think when I did come across it I watched the first two seasons back-to-back and then continued to watch the series as they were uploaded over the years. It was such a compelling comedy but it also had the good feeling of a show that could get you through the bad times. I was also into the style of gaming so I related on that level and even now I still enjoy re-watching the whole series once or twice a year.

So when I found a
Can't recall title 1 2 Mar 11, 2016 06:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: The Guild (Comic/Graphic Novel Series) 2 16 Dec 18, 2014 02:27PM
  • Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.4)
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, #2)
  • Spike: Asylum
  • Farscape Vol. 1: The Beginning of the End of the Beginning
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, #7)
Actress, New Media Geek, Gamer, Misanthrope. Voracious reader of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, especially with a romance twist. Has a book club on Goodreads called Vaginal Fantasy to celebrate the smuttier side of genre literature. Join in if you dare!

Felicia is the creator of The Guild and producer of the web series network Geek and Sundry.
More about Felicia Day...

The Guild (2 books)
  • The Guild: Knights of Good (The Guild, #2)