Start by marking “The Guild (The Guild, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Guild (The Guild, #1)

The Guild (The Guild #1-3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  3,502 ratings  ·  270 reviews
Internet phenomenon The Guild comes to comics, courtesy of series creator, writer, and star Felicia Day (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog)! Chronicling the hilarious on- and offline lives of a group of Internet role-playing gamers, the Knights of Good, The Guild has become a cult hit, and is the winner of numerous awards from SXSW, YouTube, Yahoo, and the Streamys. Now, Day ...more
Published November 24th 2010 by Dark Horse (first published April 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Guild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guild

Ready Player One by Ernest ClineSnow Crash by Neal StephensonDaemon by Daniel SuarezCity of Golden Shadow by Tad WilliamsReamde by Neal Stephenson
Books About Video Games and Virtual Reality
10th out of 111 books — 186 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
359th out of 1,824 books — 4,218 voters

More lists with this book...

Felicia
Oct 07, 2010 Felicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: graphic-novels
I HAVE A BOOK I WROTE ON GOODREADS! WOOOT! SO EXCITING!
Is it douchy of me to rate it 5 stars? Ah, whatever :)

This is released early December!
Melki
Yeah. I gave this 5 stars, even though FELICIA DAY IGNORED MY FRIEND REQUEST! SURE - I'M AN UNHIP, MIDDLE-AGED WOMAN, BUT SERIOUSLY...WHO DOES SHE THINK IS BUYING ALL THOSE "CHEESY BEARDS" AND "8-BIT BABY" T-SHIRTS? FAN-BOYS WHO LIVE IN THEIR PARENTS' BASEMENTS? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

....deep cleansing breath....

Anyway, this is a prequel to the web series.

Meet Cyd. Her real life is nothing to brag about - she has a dead end job, and her boyfriend treats her like a doormat. She's discovered a fanta
Tamora Pierce
I'd heard about the Guild long before I actually decided to read the comics (it helped that I found the downloadable e-book form). I like it a lot! A quiet female hero, based very much on Felicia Day, has a selfish musician boyfriend, a judgmental therapist, and no life apart from the boyfriend's. She decides to try a roleplaying game online and begins to make online friends who look nothing like their avatars, being real people instead of muscular, gorgeous elves, warriors, and healers. The fun ...more
Sesana
If you're a fan of The Guild web show (and who isn't?) this is really a must read. It's the prequel to the show, explaining how poor Cyd got involved with her guild. The writing is exactly what you'd expect from the show (it is written by Felicia Day, of course), and the art is great. I especially liked that there are two distinct styles for what happens in the real world and what happens in the game. Really well-done, especially for a tie-in.
Elizabeth
Hilarious and nerdy and awesome. We meet a few new characters in this one!

Merged review:

I love these comics! Some of the drawings are a big wonky, but still a great read and fun fun fun!

Merged review:

I love it! Very similar to the show. I mean, it's written by F.Day. Also, great visuals. :]
Nina
May 28, 2011 Nina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the webseries
Shelves: comics
As a long-time fan of the webseries, I'll admit that I was a bit wary of buying the comic - I was afraid that it just wouldn't do the show justice.

I'm glad that I did get it though. The copy is authored by Felicia Day herself, so the tone of the show and the voices of the characters are perfectly preserved, and come to life as fully on-paper as they do on the computer screen. The story follows Cyd/Codex (played by Felicia Day in the series)'s life before becoming part of the Knights of Good. Th
Stephan Clifford
Absolutely one of the best comics about gamers out there. So refreshing to read something from a female's perspective. I would say this is a must read or a must gift for a gamer or someone interested in getting the girlfriend/daughter/wife into comics. The artwork is beautiful and Ms. Day's voice really comes across in the narrative (and she's just a fun person to be a fan of, check her out!)
Joy
Cyd Sherman is a twenty-something with a dead-end job and loser boyfriend, but she finds friendship and adventure in an online RPG. Prequel to the webcomic.
Librarysteph
Mar 18, 2011 Librarysteph rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gamers, girls, guild fans, fans of MMORPG, felicia day fans
I think I've mentioned my love of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog before on the blog. Whenever I mentioned this, or purchase something related to it (like the comics) people suggested I check out The Guild. This partly because Felicia Day who played Penny is the writer/actress, partly because it's another web-based video series, and partly because it's awesome geekyness that Dr. Horrible nerds are likely to appreciate.

I watched 4 seasons of The Guild in 2 days (the episodes are REALLY short) and
Bry
This was adorable! I am a fan of the web show and was excited to see that they had made it into a graphic novel. The story is a prequel to the web shows and focuses on how Cyd started her journey/addiction into the world of 'The Game'.

I liked this comic so much because despite how the feelings and intentions in comics can somewhat be understated (pushed to the background to use the limited space for action/dialog)you really got to know Cyd and all of her quirks/eccentricities.

The best thing ab
Justin
After a protracted spell of buying any and all graphic novels I could get my hands on for the past seven months, I’ve finally come to my senses a little bit. I now try to stick to large collections and long one-off stories, and refrain from investing in graphic novels that are under 150 pages or so unless I know I want to own it. This one falls into that latter category. I’m enough of a fan of the web series that I ordered this graphic novel simply out of loyalty. I figured it would be an extra ...more
the golden witch.
If you know me, I love me some “Guild” action, and I’ve always kind of mourned the fact that each episode is so short (well, yeah, it’s a web series, but still…). But now that we have another season being filmed at the moment AND the comics coming out each month, my Codex craving has been satisfied — for now.

I’ll admit it: I totally have a girl crush on the awesome Felicia Day. But not only does she act well, but she writes well, too – which has only been proven repeatedly throughout “The Guild”
Devi
This was a wonderful addition to The Guild's storyline. The Guild comic is a prequel to the web series we all know and love. All your favourite characters are present and their voices seem to leap from the page to sound in your mind. The artwork was well done and fit the story style well. Felicia Day did a wonderful job writing the script and fans are even rewarded with glimpses of The Axis of Anarchy in the background. I would highly recommend this book to any Guild fan, especially those intere ...more
Jay
More introduction/backstory, this time with added gay! Still loving the art, too.

Merged review:

More gay! More violins! I want more violins!

Merged review:

This is a nice introduction to The Guild series proper, and allows some good backstory. And hey, it's Felicia Day.

I really liked the illustrations of the in-game story line. I'm always kind of disappointed when the cover art is so lovely and nice and the drawings inside are just... not. So hooray for fancy-pants drawing!
Steve Groll
I never was a fan of comic books. In fact, I never even was able to finish one. Maybe it is because I am such a big fan of "The Guild," I loved the book. First comic book I ever finished. If you are a fan of "The Guild," a fan of comic books, or you are a gamer you will enjoy the book. If you do not know anything about "The Guild," you will enjoy the story and want to see the webisodes. This prequel fits perfectly with the webisode story.
Brooke
So I really love the web series that this is based off of. As in, I've-showed-it-to-my-friends-and-sisters-and-gotten-them-into-it-too into it. So when I found out that there was a graphic novel based off this series, AND that it was written by Felicia Day, I had to read it. and then, when I started reading, I found out that this was a PREQUEL! God, I love prequels. This explains so much that I didn't even realize I wanted explained.
Up until recently I haven't been into graphic novels or comic
Wendy Browne
I guess I was expecting actual adventures of the Guild itself, not Cyd's introduction to the game. The concept is fine, but, having watched all seasons up until now, I had more or less grasped her history and certainly her personality and understood why the game worked for her, so there was nothing really new to learn from this comic.
LiteraryLover
I sort of have issues that some of the art is pretty good and some of it, particularly when the characters are in the game, kinda isn't. However the storyline was good and as a prequel to the series it was entertaining.
Virginia
Cute backstory on Codex from The Guild. Loved the art difference between real life & the game. I hope they do one of these for each Guild character.
Carrie
I LOVED it! It has the same great energy and humor from the show while telling how The Knights of Good came together as a guild. 5 stars.
Daniel
AWESOME! The Guild is a web series created by Felicia Day that depicts the lives of six role online gamers. The show is amazing. It brings something new to the table and something geeks can all relate to. This comic, which was also written by Felicia Day, really captures the show in comic book format. This is really amazing. For a long time have I not read a character that I truly cheer for completely and identify with and Cyd Sherman is that person. Great comic as it serves as a prequel to the ...more
Paul
A nice introduction to the series. Really had the same feel as the show. Decent artwork. Overall, a good job.
Nicole Cook
Love this graphic novel! I have watched the series, which I also enjoyed. Brings back memories of WOW. :-)
Vickipedia
A great companion piece if you happen to be a fan of the web series.
Brea Jones
great prequel to the series. felicia is a genius.
Nicole
Cyd is a painfully shy girl who's struggling to socialize with more than her shitty boyfriend. While her therapist urges her to speak to people in "the real world," she finds friends through an online game. Each person has a truly unique personality, which at times clashes with the others, and yet this motley band finds they're stronger together in more ways than just killing bosses.
If you haven't seen the show, this is a great way to appreciate all that introvert and gamer humor. In fact, this
Andrew
The Guild is a prequel to the popular web series created by Felicia Day. It's their origin story of sorts - how they came to be part of the guild, and how Codex herself started playing the game.

With Felicia doing the writing, the comic obviously captures the same humor as the series. Changes and tweaks need to be made for the medium, obviously, but Miss Day does a wonderful job making it work. The story itself is great (if perhaps a bit depressing) and gives a lot of insight into Cyd's (aka Code
Janelle Dazzlepants
Firstly, like anything Guild-related I have to preface this by saying: OMG SOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUTE ^__^

This comic is incredibly true to the show, to the point where I can imagine the inflection in Codex's voice as I'm reading. The creative team paid so much attention to detail when writing the dialogue and drawing the panels, managing to capture all those awkward pauses and facial expressions on paper. For me it didn't matter that this was an entirely different medium, it felt like I was watching o
Crystal Starr Light
For fans of the web-series, The Guild, this brief graphic novel is a prequel of sorts. Cyd Sherman is a violinist in the back row of an orchestra. Her boyfriend, a former member of the orchestra, is trying to start his own rock band and completely uses her. As Cyd grows more and more withdrawn, she reaches out to an MMO she bought on a whim. In the game, she is needed and successful.
The graphic novel has three "chapters", set off in a style similar to the webseries with Cyd/Codex sitting in fron
Aubrey
Oct 17, 2011 Aubrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gamers, nerdy types (the cool kind), Joss Whedon fans, and of course Felicia Day fans
What can I say, Felicia Day is pretty rockin'! I first saw her as Vi on Buffy and liked her. Then I saw her on Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (which if you are a total nerd like me but haven't seen it, watch it) and loved her. Then I began watching The Guild, a web series (and have now seen every episode), written by Felicia and really loved her. I'm not even a role playing gamer, so I only know what a "guild" is from my husband who plays World of Warcraft and now the latest Star Wars role playi ...more
  • Dr. Horrible and Other Horrible Stories
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
  • Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, #5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, #7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, #2)
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.6)
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Spike: Asylum
Actress, New Media Geek, Gamer, Misanthrope. Voracious reader of Fantasy and Sci-Fi, especially with a romance twist. Has a book club on Goodreads called Vaginal Fantasy to celebrate the smuttier side of genre literature. Join in if you dare!

Felicia is the creator of The Guild and producer of the web series network Geek and Sundry.
More about Felicia Day...
The Guild: Knights of Good The Guild: The Official Companion The Guild: Fawkes The Guild: Tink (one-shot) The Guild: Bladezz (one-shot)