Hemlock Lake

Hemlock Lake (Catskill Mountains Mystery #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
(If you like this mystery, please check out the sequel, Through a Yellow Wood.)

Arson. Murder. Vengeance. Betrayal. Love. Loss. Redemption.

For generations only a few families held title to land in the isolated Catskill Mountain community of Hemlock Lake. But with the turning of the century one man, lured by easy money, sells his inheritance to a developer of luxury homes. A...more
Published (first published July 21st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hemlock Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hemlock Lake

Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Was the attack on the construction site only a distraction for the real target....Dan Stone? One bizarre attempt on Dan's life after another with no clues or any reason why puzzled everyone. Could the attacker be a local resident, a total stranger, someone who Dan arrested, or some unknown crazed person?

Along with the attempts on his life and the mourning of his wife and brother, Dan had nothing but friction from everyone in Hemlock Lake...no acceptance and no help. After being away for many y...more
Carolyn Rose
Feb 27, 2011 Carolyn Rose added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this. It's set in the Catskills and deals with love, loss, betrayal, and redemption. I'm looking forward to your opinions.
I originally gave it 5 stars because it was a book that suffered a lot of rejections on the road to publication and because giving it less would be like not voting for yourself for class president. But now that others are reading and posting, I'll let them decide its worth.
Allene
Hemlock Lake
A rattlesnake, a missing shotgun, a phantom in the mountains and a small town revolt are some of the ingredients in this Carolyn J. Rose novel. Add to that an accidental death, followed by a suicide, fires set by arson, graffiti on the walls of newly constructed lake homes, a mysterious dark-skinned woman and small, carefully crafted stone mounds that magically appear in the moonlight. Mix these together and you have a heart-thumping, mind boggling, suspense filled ride that careens...more
Jacqueline Hopkins
I rather liked this book of a man who goes back to his home town as a police officer to make sure nothing happens on a new construction site, where a lot of bad things keep happening. Is it the local towns people who don't want the new subdivision there or someone else. When he comes back home to his old home, he has to face that some of the people who still live there don't like him because he left in the first place. He also has to fight his own demons: that of the death of his wife and brothe...more
Kriston
So let me start by saying I really like this novel, in fact I more than like it. This story follows a mans life after he loses his brother and true love to a tragic accident. While coming to terms with his inner demons, his old hometown treats him like an outcast while he is trying to protect them from a crazed arsonist.

The characters we get to know make a great team, their wit and banter will make you laugh and they love disrupting Dan's life every chance they get...and these are his friends.

C...more
Connie
I picked this book up planning on reading a couple of chapters and then doing some errands. The next thing I knew I was halfway thru the book and had decided the errands could wait until another day! This book was a pleasant surprise since this was a new author to me. I really enjoyed the cast of characters and the storyline. Who could not love a great mystery with a little romance thrown in! I sure hope there are more books in this series as I am looking forward to reading them.

FTC disclosure:...more
Sharonm
I liked this book, set in the Catskills. The solution to the mystery sort of came out of the blue, and this was the weakest aspect of the book. The motivation of the murderer wasn't very clear. I really liked the main character, Dan, but the characterization of the others was spotty -- some well developed and some just surface. I liked that the book had a sort of reverse fem jep aspect. If this is the start of a series, I would read the others.
Elaine
You know. Even though I had guessed the perp early on, I really liked this story. It held my interest throughout. At times I thought Dan was a blind idiot. Ron was always a strong-arm. Camille - quite lovely. Willie Dean -well, I don't know how folks put up with him. Ditto for Louise Marie.
Linda
Nov 10, 2011 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to Linda by: checking the shelves
Coming home is sometimes painful especially to a small town where every one knows you. lots of high adventure and you are almost lured into the comfortable setting in the Catskill resort town. A good mystery that in parts will leave you gasping for more.
Astrid
Didn't think much of this book and I couldn't bring myself to finish it either. I'll try to get through it again some other time.
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Marcia
Marcia marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Pamela Kern
Pamela Kern marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Mike
Mike added it
Oct 26, 2013
Kurious Jo
Kurious Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2013
Hevel Cava
Hevel Cava marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2013
Sandy
Sandy is currently reading it
Jun 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
2062469
Carolyn J. Rose grew up in New York's Catskill Mountains, graduated from the University of Arizona, logged two years in Arkansas with Volunteers in Service to America, and spent 25 years as a television news researcher, writer, producer, and assignment editor in Arkansas, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, and her interests are reading, gardening, swimming, and...more
More about Carolyn J. Rose...
No Substitute for Murder A Place of Forgetting An Uncertain Refuge No Substitute for Maturity (Subbing isn't for Sissies) No Substitute for Money (Subbing isn't for Sissies)