Confia em Mim

Confia em Mim

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Luke Dantry perdeu tragicamente os pais quando era adolescente; o pai foi morto por um mecânico enlouquecido, a mãe morreu num terrível acidente. Criado pelo padrasto, Luke trabalha agora com ele na sua pesquisa, vigiando grupos extremistas na Internet. No entanto, no aparentemente inofensivo mundo da Internet residem perigos incalculáveis. E, subitamente, Luke experimenta...more
Published June 2010 by Civilização Editora (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Confia em Mim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confia em Mim

Keith
Following Luke Dantry down the path of betrayal, by everyone he knows or has known, is a hard premise to buy but then to watch his evolution from a naive research assistant into a two-fisted crime fighter is even harder to swallow. However, since the central theme of this novel highlights the cultural paranoia of our times and constantly reminds the reader, as well as Luke, that no one is to be trusted, I suppose we are expected to buy into the concept. As the story moves along and more and more...more
Peachy
Trust ME, do not waste your time!

I picked this one up from my library blind, like I sometimes do when I'm waiting for my holds to come in. I choose a random letter and pick up whatever book is first in that section of Fiction. ('A' being the random letter this time, of course.) Sometimes this works out and I get to read and enjoy a book that I otherwise never would have read. Then there are instances like this one where I pick up a dud and curse myself the whole time I'm reading it.

Honing in on...more
Peachy
Trust ME, do not waste your time!

Honing in on...more
Barbra
I have read most of Abbott's books and have liked them all but I have to admit that I found this one a bit hard to get into and hard to keep my attention going through it.

Back Cover Blurb:
Luke Dantry tragically lost his parents when he was a teenager - his father was murdered by a crazed operative, his mother died in a terrible accident. Brought up by his stepfather, Luke now works with him on his research, monitoring extremist groups on the internet.
Yet within the seemingly harmless world of th...more
Kathleen
Usually I like Jeff Abbott books, but this one was just a bit over the top and too violent.
Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Review/Rating:

3 out of 5

Working on his stepfather’s think tank, Luke Dantry posts on forums and other online communities known for their users being extremists and reports back to his stepfather the users who he thinks are capable of doing terrorists acts. Mostly, Luke thinks the majority of them are just frustrated and aren’t capable of doing the things they say they will. However, he is proven wrong when he is kidnapped and taken to a cabin hidden in...more
Margarida
Jeff Abbott knows how to keep the reader in suspense and intrigued, craving for answers...until some point of the book. I enjoyed reading this book, it was better than what I thought it would be and it kept me entertained. Allthough, it had too many cliches and predictable situations.

SPOILERS (don't read this part if you haven't read the book, really): Aubrey being the final 'piece' in the puzzle was just stupid and unrrealistic. It felt like the author put too much thought into trying to have o...more
Pamela
The war on terror - This is a complicated book. And in a way it is scary. Most of it is very plausible. Extremists or frustrated malcontents? Many people are irritated and frustrated at the way our government works. Do they blow off steam on some online chat room or do they make bombs and kill people? This book makes you think.
Sheila
Luke Dantry, a psychology student works on the computer finding individuals who are potential terrorists for his step-father, Henry. Luke's father died in a plane crash years before and his mother died in an automobile accident. Henry asks Luke to come work with him but before he can begin, Luke is kidnapped and taken to a cabin in the woods where he is chained to a bed. Luke thought he had covered his travels on the computer well but it seems he did not cover them well enough. When his step-fat...more
João Fidalgo
O que parece, não é , é a melhor forma de classificar os livros Jeff Abbot, se fossem um filme ou uma série podíamos dizer que não nós levantávamos da cadeira enquanto não acabasse como e um livro podemos dizer que não só o conseguimos pousar quando lemos a última página.
Viccy
What began as an exciting thrill ride turned into a predictable trip. Luke Dantry has sought for years to understand his father's death, even majoring in psychology. He has ended up on the "Night Road," a term he coined to describe the weirdos that hang out in chat rooms, trolling the Internet, looking for like-minded weirdos to take down the government or commit acts of terrorism, anything to get out of their boxes. His stepfather, Henry, runs a think tank and wants Luke to join. Except Henry w...more
Paula Henley
I loved this book. Lots of action. I read on my lunch breaks a work and it was hard to put it down and go back to work. Fun read.
Steven Scaffardi
If I could sum up all of Jeff Abbott’s main characters from his catalogue of excellent thrillers in one word it would be unlucky. If I could use two words it would be bloody unlucky!

But if I take that same formula, flip it around and point it at the reader of Jeff Abbott books, then that word would be lucky; because we are bloody lucky that Jeff Abbott continues to share his gift of being able to write edge-of-your-seat stuff time and time again.

To read the rest of this review, please click here...more
Jan
Started off with a good story but then just descended into an unbelievable plot line.
Rose
While not my favorite Jeff Abbott book that I've read, this is still a great modern drama featuring an average computer geek who suddenly finds himself in the middle of terrorists and spies. The first half of the book seemed to be a little slow. I think Abbott could have cut out about 50-100 pages and still have written a good book. However, the reward for the extending reading is waiting in the last 100 pages. I feel victim to gasping aloud at some of the plot twists towards the end. I shall le...more
Salima Bensalah
I found this book as any other in my fortnight search at my library. I can safely say it is the first thriller I have ever read which has actually got me caring immensely about the first character and completely lost as to what will happen next.
This book is full with plot-twists, betrayals, shockers and all of those others things that thriller books must have. This is really brilliant, and recommended for anyone who wants lots of suspence and mystery to predict what will happen next, and get th...more
Schnaucl
One day I will learn that no matter how good it sounds, 90% of the time I will finish a thriller and say meh. That was forgettable.

I'm writing this review over a month later and it was meh. Forgettable. I remember some of the plot contrivances were improbable and even silly.

It's too bad, because one of the twists could have been very cool but as it was written it just didn't do much for me.

I found it mediocre, but it's not my genre in the first place so take that with a pinch of salt. YMMV.
Carolyn
Liked the book, but it took awhile to get into it. Too much unnecessary detail.
Bilge B
Good plot, not a page turner. 3.5
Rebecca
The definition of a page turner! I couldn't put it down. Good action and chase sequences are hard to write well, but this one flowed without becoming confusing but also without slowing down. I could see it in my head like a movie; actually, I think this book would be a GREAT movie. The final twist was definitely one that I did not see coming. It definitely had some problems with suspension of belief in places, but I thoroughly enjoyed and will look for other books by Abbott.
Priscilla
Meh. It may seem odd to say this but there was way too much action. It was a non-stop recounting of Luke did that, and then he did this, and he managed to survive all of his narrow escapes and beatings and bomb blasts, etc. A little to unbelievable for me.
Swanbender2001
All I really ask of my comfort reads these days is to interest me enough to keep the pages turning and this story accomplished that purpose. There were certainly some farfetched notions in that the main character suddenly became a super spy, capable of taking down any number of opponents with no armed combat training but so what? The concept of the Night Road and the new kind of war being waged was thought provoking enough to spin my wheels.
Goncalo
Aqui é que eu acho que Abbott perdeu o juízo por completo, já que tenho muito pouco a apontar de positivo neste livro.

Situações inverosímeis do início ao fim, personagens mal caracterizadas, espaços mal definidos, lógica meio para o parva, desenvolvimento previsível dos acontecimentos e o enredo em volta dum tema tão vulgar como o terrorismo.

Uma bela perda de tempo este livro.

Não recomendo, de todo.
Johan
Based on the description I expected a high-tech thriller that would appeal to the geek in me. Despite the topic it is actually a very low-tech thriller; IMHO the author knows how to use a browser and email client and that's about it. Lots of running around and chasing each other, and sometimes the roles are reversed. Secret organizations. Some father - son issues, ... Yawn. Where's my next book?
Paula
I listened to this on audio and sometimes it kept me interested and other times I just forgot where I left off. It was a thriller about a home grown terrorist group that Henry, Luke's step father is a big part of. Luke gets swept up in it when he is kidnapped and Henry won't pay the ransom. All of a sudden Luke is a super hero and is going to get to the group and take them out single handedly.
Christopher Pumplun
It started off well but it the last 20-30% seemed to drag on a lot longer than needed. I did really enjoy the first half+ though.
Lhenry
This was like an action movie - lots of close calls, explosions, intricate alliances, and racing around the globe. The pace was fast, but worked well for me. Yes, you do have to suspend your belief in books like this, but I did not find that difficult, for the most part. I didn't really connect with the characters, that much but enjoyed the breathless quality throughout
Lucy
Entertaining thriller although no real surprises and the twist at the end seemed somewhat implausible. Took it out of the library to pass the time being delayed in the airport over Christmas and it entertained me well enough and gripping enough that I wanted to keep reading. The major criticism would be that it is maybe a bit too violent for my taste.
Joanne
Typical thriller premise: an ordinary joe gets caught up in a terror network he doesn't understand, and has to go on the run from both bad guys and police, not knowing whom to trust, and leaves a scorched path behind him. I always think these guys in real life would get killed off in about chapter two, after they meet a professional bad guy. Feh.
Monica Piotrowski
interesting but a little too dragged out for my taste
  • Messiah
  • Summer of the Wolves
  • An Accidental Life: A Novel
  • Her Master Defender (Masters Men, #1)
  • Twisted Wing
  • The Murder Exchange
  • Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)
  • Deviant Way (Jack Paris, #1)
  • The Lucifer Code
  • Back on Solid Ground
  • Blood Brother (Carson Ryder, #4)
  • Fostering Death (A Jesse Damon Crime Novel, #2)
  • Flying Shoes: A Novel
  • Fúria Divina (Tomás Noronha #4)
  • Forbidden (Southern Comfort #2)
  • Anatomy of Fear (Nate Rodriguez, #1)
  • Sooner or Later
  • Mudkin
Jeff Abbott (born 1963) is a U.S. suspense novelist. He has a degree in History and English from Rice University. He lives in Austin, Texas. His early novels were traditional detective fiction but in recent years he has turned to writing thriller fiction. A theme of his work is the idea of ordinary people caught up in extraordinary danger and fighting to return to their normal lives. His novels ar...more
More about Jeff Abbott...
Adrenaline (Sam Capra, #1) Panic The Last Minute (Sam Capra # 2) Fear Downfall (Sam Capra # 3)