Goddess of the Sea

Goddess of the Sea (Goddess Summoning #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  6,144 ratings  ·  438 reviews
After her plane crashes into the sea, an Air Force Sergeant finds herself occupying the body of the mythic mermaid Undine-and falling for a sexy merman.
Published October 7th 2008 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Goddess of the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goddess of the Sea

Julie (jjmachshev)
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Oct08
This Oct08 release is the trade paperback release of a 2003 original.

“Goddess of the Sea” is my first foray into P.C. Cast’s ‘Goddess Summoning’ series about normal women transformed by their willingness to believe in the spark of the Feminine Devine that makes all women magical! But the series is not about witchcraft and crones and spells and such, rather it celebrates the female viewpoint and the joys to be found in the care of tending of beaut...more
Holly
Synnin
Thanks goodness i was smart enough not to buy this piece of "literature", i'd really really regret my money, even if it was 5 cents..

I have a habit, either good or bad: I never give up books, no matter what a torture it can be to finish them. Perfect example of pure torture it was! After finally, finally scrolling the last page, i ended up with 2 thoughts in my mind:

~ There's never ever any book (and there can't be!) about mermaids, better than the "original" Andersen's The Little Mermaid, anyth...more
Charissa Sophia de la Rosa
I really like this book. I love how P.C. Cast wrote it. It spells A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I love how P.C. Cast twist some interesting Mythological stories much more interesting relating it to the 21st Century! :) I'm going to read the next books in this series!

What I love:

-The plot! It is not just like any other mermaid tale nor anything related to Little Mermaid! P.C. Cast made a unique turn of the story that'll just leave the readers breathless!
-Characters! I love Christine Canady or CC! She's a...more
holly quigley
Eh. I had some serious reservations about continuing this book past the first two chapters. The heroine, "CC" (short for Christine Canady, a sergeant in the Air Force who is afraid of flying), is just annoying. Actually, correction: The way the author writes her constant blathering to herself is annoying. Beyond annoying. More like bizarre. If that sounds small and petty, I challenge you to read the first chapter out loud, and think - really think, about whether or not you or anyone you know has...more
Anna-Lisa
I totally loved "Goddess of Love" and "Goddess of Troy" and now understood why in Germany "Goddess of Love" wasn't published as the first book in the series like it originally is. This book was so boring. I couldn't connect with any of the characters, there was too much clichee, I didn't like the world which was built here and the romance between Dylan and Christine was...kinda strange mostly the sex scenes.

*** german review ***

Meine Meinung: "Göttin der Liebe" hat mir richtig gut gefallen, bei...more
Sandra
As primeiras 40 páginas foram de um profundo e completo disparate.
Ao lê-las só pensava para comigo - mas o que é isto?
Está bem que este dito disparate advém muito do facto da personagem principal se embebedar. Mas havia melhor forma de escrever isto.

Mas quando cheguei à página 172, não pude deixar de pensar que muitas vezes se desiste por causa de umas primeiras páginas desastrosas e se perde um bom livro. Porque agora começa a coisa a aquecer e a tornar-se deveras interessante!

É um perigoso...more
ஐ Canan ஐ `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._
Şuanki duygularımı anlatamam size...ağlasam mı, gúlsem mi, sinir krizi mi gecirsem bilemedim...
Bu nasıl bir sondur bóyle? Ama o son sahnelerde adamın biri 'olamaz, bu adam - sean- yaşıyor' dediğinde tahmin etmiştim...okuyan bilir, merak eden okur °°)
neyse siz bu kız neyden bahsediyor demeden yoruma geçeyim...
ama óncelikle bayanlar baylar, en yakınınızda ne varsa tehlikeli madde olarak (tava,oklava,merdane vs.) elinize alın...
Zira dóvecek adam çok..(órn. sperdon, rahip william, azıcıkta andras..a...more
Lili
UUUGGGHHH!!
what a waste of time, if i had to describe this book it would be 'little mermaid meets house of night'... though, instead of Sebastian she got a dolphin... at least the crab could sing!!

what a lack of imagination!, even I can steal pieces of other stories and semi write my own, that doesn't make me a writer...
mer
My first by P. C. Cast and I liked it. I heard about her House of Night series too but wouldn't dare to read because it's YA. Yep, I'm currently having disappointed-with-YA-books. Anyway, this premise is marketed as adult but after I finished it, I think this book has a bit/slight of YA. The way CC/Undine's - the heroine - thinking isn't exactly adult-like or should I say, childish?

There are two time settings in Goddess of the Sea and I was confused by it in the beginning of my reading. Instead...more
Alexandria Brim
In Cast's YA novel, Air Force officer Christine "CC" Canady wishes for some magic in her life. She is deployed to the Middle East but never makes it. Her plane goes down in the middle of the ocean. About to drown, CC encounters a mermaid who offers to change places with her. CC accepts and switches bodies with the mermaid, Undine. She learns Undine is the daughter of Gaea, the goddess of the Earth, and Lir, the god of the sea. The mermaid was looking to escape her life, pursued by her brother Sa...more
Carina
My sisters are always critizicing me because Im a bookworm, so when my younger sister brought me this book to read i was VERY skeptical.

I have to say the First 100 pages were really slow for me and felt like they dragged too much. But once you pass all that you are emerged in a facinating story of not only love but strugle, passion , survival, fear and sorrow. There were so many emotions going on that one moment i was overjoyed the next i was crying and then outraged.

I have to say that I was ver...more
Kathryn
I read a rave review of another in this series by P.C. Cast and thought that elements of mythology + romance novel sounded like fun. And it would have been fun – without the one-dimensional characters, egregious errors about the time period, unnecessarily drawn-out scenes and a lot more telling than showing. Ugh.
Soa
Patrícia
P. C. Cast tornou-se conhecida do público pela sua saga juvenil de vampiros, A Casa da Noite, que escreve em conjunto com a sua filha, Kristin. Depois de ter conseguido chegar ao sucesso de Crepúsculo, a autora decidiu aventurar-se por algo mais feminino e mais adulto e criou Chamamento da Deusa, cujo primeiro volume é este Deusa do Mar. Também bestsellers, esta saga chegou a leitoras onde a outra não conseguiu chegar e transparece o carinho que a própria P. C. confessa ter por estes livros.
Tenh...more
Jaime West
My Blog BookBuyingAddict
Another of the Goddess Summoning series, this was based losely on The Little Mermaid.

This was good, the story of Christine Canady a US Air Force Seargeant who, through an accident ends up switching bodies with a Mermaid -Princess Undine -and enters a different world. A world of fantasy and magic, where she meets the Goddess Gaea (Earth).

But CC is a Mermaid for maybe 8 hours before she asks the Goddess Gaea to change her into a Human to find her true love. Which is fine,...more
Heather
Some of the words that come to mind: interesting, different, fantastical.
It was ok. Maybe I was bored because of all the books I've been cramming in lately. Maybe I just didn't appreciate the sexual encounters. Probably more of the latter. Anywho, it was really hard for me to get into it. The whole forgetting the birthday/talking to the phone/magic ritual/running errands. Completely boring. I'm not going to lie I started skipping pages just wondering if it was going to get any better. Once (view...more
Vivian
Oh. This really took my breath away. I wasn't anything spectacular from P.C. Cast, since House of Night let me down. But this book was so heartbreakingly quaint, beautiful, and wonderful. IT WAS SO FUCKING HEARTBREAKING. I THOUGHT I WAS LET DOWN AT THE END. :C

What I loved the most was Dylan and CC.
HOLY SHIT. HOLY SHIT. OK. Their true love was described A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN THAT OF LIKE TWILIGHT OR SOME SHIT LIKE THAT. Not saying Twilight is shit.

But really. I felt every single heartbeat...more
Sofia Teixeira
P.C. Cast é uma autora de romances paranormais/sobrenaturais já bastante conhecida. Em Portugal penso que se estreou com a série Casa da Noite e há algum tempo chegou até nós esta nova série, eu chamo-lhe a série das Deusas. Numa primeira edição pela 1001 Mundos, o título dado à obra foi Deusa do Mar, mas recentemente houve uma reedição da mesma em que o título foi mudado para Renascida. Como poderão ver acima, as capas também mudaram bastante. Uma questão de marketing? Sei que este palpite não...more
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Bored, intoxicated and mildly depressed birthday girl CC decides to embrace her inner Goddess and perform a ritual honoring a Goddess from one of her numerous college texts. Loving being worshipped as a Goddess is wont to do Gaea notices CC decides to give her some blessings. It’s great that CC has this, she soon finds herself in a plane, crashing into ocean and drowning, only to be given a mer-body and a brother who wishes to rape her. Gaea’s chooses to save CC from her brother’s very creepy a...more
Mafi
Deusa do Mar, é o 1º livro de uma nova série da escritora PC Cast, autora muito conhecida pela série juvenil Casa da Noite, editada pela Saída de Emergência.

Ainda não me adaptei à temática de sereias tendo apenas lido um livro Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale que gostei mas não adorei. Mesmo assim gosto de sereias, ou não tivesse uma grande panca pelo filme 'A pequena sereia' da Disney.

O livro começa na noite do aniversário de Christine Canady que completa 25 anos e que a único desejo que...more
Rana F. Alardhy
description

P.C Cast, Romance novels isn't my type but this one had me. Great job!

4.5/5 Stars.

I can't believe a book like this was on the shelf waiting for me to be extremely bored to read it. If I only knew what it holds, it would have been read long ago!

last year, I've been looking for a book with Greek mythology involved. As soon as the sight of "Goddess" attracted my attention, I grabbed it and payed for it without even reading reviews about it. I got depressed when I saw that goodreaders didn't like i...more
Rose
Jun 26, 2010 Rose rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like fantastical romantic stories with an adult edge
Recommended to Rose by: A friend of mine from a forum I frequent :)
Shelves: fantasy, romance
The first book in P.C. Cast's "Goddess Summoning" series promises a tale of romance wrapped within a fantasy or faerie tale wrapping. Since it was a book aimed for adults and I found the House of Night series leaving much to be desired, I decided to give this series a try. Suffice to say that I liked this better, but at the same time I come away from "Goddess of the Sea" feeling like more expansion and inventiveness could have made it a much better book.

It feels like a retelling of "The Little M...more
Vannessa
I expected this book to be a more adult version of The Little Mermaid, but there was a bit more to it than that.

CC was a sergeant in the USAF, despite her fear of flying (first off why would she choose a career which would definitely involve some flying even though she was petrified of it?! I certainly wouldn't!). On flying to a new position, her plane crashed in the middle of the ocean and just as she's pulled under the water, a mermaid appears and asks if she wants to swap bodies in order to l...more
❥ Azzurra
Semplicità…questo è il tuo nome!
…e anche banalità?!
Non è da me dirlo, dato che sono anni che leggo romance e ogni volta che leggo in un commento “Ah, è un harmony!” mi irrito particolarmente. Ma stavolta non posso esimermi dal dirlo io (e penso a giusta causa) che questo romanzo è un vero harmony nella peggiore accezione del termine.
Storia che potrebbe (e avrebbe) buoni spunti e possibilità per essere carina e originale, ma che mi scade nel banale e sciocco.
Oltre che improbabile (anche se tratta...more
Ariel
3 stars

Ogni volta che un libro non mi piace io mi fermo prima ancora della metà, se non proprio le prima 150 pagine. Massimo.
Ecco, questo libro non mi è piaciuto.
Per carità, io adoro i libri sulle sirene, e mi piacciono sempre, dico sempre quando le sirene sono un po' arroganti, diciamolo. Aò, mi sa che sono rimasta alle sirene cattive di non so quale film.. Peter Pan, forse?
Comunque, dicevo, io adoro i libri sulle sirene, e non solo perché mi chiamo Ariel. Adoro proprio i soggetti. Sono perfet...more
Jaqueline Miguel
Há muito tempo que estava encantada com este livro e estava mortinha para o ler. Achei a capa lindíssima e assim que li sobre o que era fiquei maravilhada. Sou uma autêntica viciada no que diz respeito a deuses gregos. Quando soube que era uma coleção delirei completamente e não pude descansar enquanto não tivesse os livros todos. Infelizmente não pude começar logo porque tinha outras leituras pendentes, mas finalmente comecei e acabei.
A história é tratada na terceira pessoa através do ponto d...more
Chelsea
The premise of the book is that on her 25th birthday CC is lonely and drunk and performs a ritual in which she asks the goddess of the earth, Gaea, to bring magic into her life. The result of this is that CC switches places with Gaea's mermaid daughter, Princess Undine. She is also sent back in time to about 1014 I believe. CC is allowed to return to land as a human (in Undine's very beautiful form) but she must return to the water and transform into a mermaid every 3 days. The only way to break...more
Natasha Keohuloa

This is my second PC Cast book and it certainly won't be my last. I first read her Goddess of the Rose book and I absolutely loved it! This is the first book in her Summoning Goddess series and I can't wait to read them all! I may not be familiar with the myths of the ancient gods and goddesses but it doesn't keep me from wanting to read more. I love how she portrays the women in her story, very sure and confident of themselves. If ever I find myself feeling down and need a sudden boost of "gir...more
Ashley
I wanted a book with a pagan and mythological touch to it. My friend told me to read this book. I immediately got hooked to the Summoning Series by P.C. Cast.

This book was about a young woman, about my age, who led a very lonely, and drab lifestyle. She was a pilot in Air Force. One night, on her birthday, she decided to enact a spell, and on the following day, she felt pretty silly about that. She was summoned overseas and her plane crashed.

It was when her whole life changed. She was instantl...more
question does it get better 8 31 Jan 08, 2014 06:29PM
  • Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • The Last Mermaid
  • Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings (Real Mermaids, #1)
  • Siren's Surrender (Dark Tides, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Pendant
  • The Secret of the Emerald Sea
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • In Great Waters
  • A Mermaid's Kiss (Daughters of Arianne, #1)
  • Teenage Mermaid
  • Lady Robyn (Knight Errant #2)
  • Beyond the Sea (Beyond the Sea, #1)
  • Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1)
  • Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1)
  • Undercurrent (Siren, #2)
  • Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1)
  • Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1)
P.C. Cast was born in the Midwestern United States, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. With her tour in the USAF completed, she taught high school for 15 years before retirin...more
More about P.C. Cast...
Marked (House of Night #1) Betrayed (House of Night #2) Untamed (House of Night #4) Chosen (House of Night #3) Hunted (House of Night, #5)

“True love is not a potion one person can swallow and another refuse to drink. It happens only when the souls of two join together to form one” 46 likes
“when the thrill of his body fades or changes, and the difficulties of pledging yourself to only one person surface, kindness will be the balm that soothes the wounds of life.” 42 likes