Start by marking “Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. Batman Created by Bob Kane” as Want to Read:
Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. Batman Created by Bob Kane

Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told. Batman Created by Bob Kane (The Greatest Stories Ever Told)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  164 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Since 1939, in Gotham City, one man has ruled the night, striking fear into the hearts of the venal, the superstitious, the cowardly - the Batman! Now, in this collection of classic Batman tales by some of the greatest talents ever to have written his adventures, you can experience the thrills and chills, triumphs and tragedies of the Dark Knight's long career protecting t ...more
Published May 23rd 2005 by Titan Books (UK) (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Jason Luna
This is a poorly structured anthology. It calls itself "the greatest stories ever told", then proceeds to do almost nothing of the sort.

The biggest issue (meta-pun intended?) is that there are 5 stories or so structured around Bruce Wayne's parents being killed. The origin issue published in the 1930s, makes sense. The one where he thinks about Jason Todd with bullet wounds, good art. But the other ones are redundant and lack historical significance.

There is a big lack of historical issues.

Is th
Eliran
May 28, 2015 Eliran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An overall great collection of Batman stories. It was nice getting to read the origin story, albeit a reprint(I'm pretty sure the original one is beyond my financial reach!)
I'd have to say my favorite story in this collection was "Death Strikes at Midnight and Three". It's presentation was what impressed me the most-- it was written out, like a novel! I admit I was rather incredulous at first, but the story was very well written and immersive. Additionally, there were side panels with minimalist
Jackie "the Librarian"
Aug 22, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: superhero fans, 12 and up
I really enjoyed this collection of key stories from the Batman mythology. Starting with Batman's motivation - the death of his parents by a mugger, we follow Batman through important developments in his life. We also get stories that highlight the villains The Joker and Catwoman.

I think my favorite story might have been the one where Batman has allowed himself to be subjected to stress tests such as astronauts would face during space travel. The effects are so strong that Batman hallucinates th
Addison
This collection of traditional Batman adventures filled me with anticipation and excitement. However, when the cover page flew back, I knew something was horribly wrong.
The artwork, for starters, was very old. I was fascinated by it, but it didn't add any grit or action to the story. After reading a few of these comics, I felt as if my adored DC superhero had been once some childish joke.
I was extremely disappointed when I did not find any of the Batman adversaries that I have always known and
Victor Orozco
Basic set of stories. "Greatest Stories Ever Told?" Above average maybe but not as groundbreaking as I expected. C+
Lionel
Just read the mark millar
Klaas Roggeman
Amusing collection of Batman short stories from over the years. Most of them are only interesting from a nostalgic viewpoint, as they seem to be lacking the grit and modern feel of the Dark Knight films (haven't read those comics yet).
S
Aug 10, 2011 S rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the older comics far more than the newer ones, with the exception of Devin Grayson's odd story at the end (which included a random gay couple that didn't die, so I can forgive it a lot.)
Timo
Jul 31, 2012 Timo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Ei nämä kyllä mulle ihan täytä sitä vaatimusta, mitä käyttäsin ilmaisusta Parhaat tarinat. Pari ihan mukiin menevää, mutta aika heikko tasosia nämä kuitenkin olivat.
Sara Forler
Oct 22, 2013 Sara Forler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great introduction to batman, with a historical flair.
Kimberlee
Jul 31, 2008 Kimberlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice collection - the last few were my favorite!
Lydia
May 01, 2008 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Batman!
HBooks91
HBooks91 marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Onome
Onome marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Kate Haskell
Kate Haskell rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Emmanuel Camargo
Emmanuel Camargo marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Michael Unterberg
Michael Unterberg rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Byron Brubaker
Byron Brubaker marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Annah Jensen
Annah Jensen marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Cody moyers
Cody moyers rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Gilles Callens
Gilles Callens marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
David Wardrop
David Wardrop marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Tonia Edwards
Tonia Edwards marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Mari
Mari rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Ryon Keith
Ryon Keith rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens
  • Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Batman International
  • Countdown to Darkness
  • Batman: Knightfall, Vol. 2: Knightquest (New Edition)
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 11: Worship
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 2
  • Warcraft Legends, Volume 2
  • Arkham Asylum: Living Hell
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 4: Vengeance
  • Captain America: The Death Of Captain America, Vol. 3: The Man Who Bought America
  • Star Wars: Darth Vader, Vol. 2: Shadows and Secrets
61922
William "Bill" Finger was an American comic strip and comic book writer best known as the uncredited co-creator, with Bob Kane, of the DC Comics character Batman, as well as the co-architect of the series' development. In later years, Kane acknowledged Finger as "a contributing force" in the character's creation. Comics historian Ron Goulart, in Comic Book Encyclopedia, refers to Batman as the "cr ...more
More about Bill Finger...

The Greatest Stories Ever Told (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told
  • Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told: Catwoman and the Penguin
  • Batman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told, Vol. 2
  • The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told
  • The Joker: The Greatest Stories Ever Told (Batman)
  • The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told