Start by marking “The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)” as Want to Read:
The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)

The World of Tiers, Volume 1 (World of Tiers Omnibus 1-3)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  488 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Tiers series chronicles the adventures of both Robert Wolff, a man from our world transported through space-time to a cosmos with dimensions and laws different from our own, and Kickaha the Trickster (a.k.a. Paul J. Finnegan, also from our contemporary world). Separately and together, the two heroes contend against the Lords who rule the separate universes, of which th ...more
Published October 1st 1996 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published November 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The World of Tiers, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World of Tiers, Volume 1

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Fantasy Books
324th out of 935 books — 1,189 voters
Dune by Frank HerbertStranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. HeinleinDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. DickThe Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. HeinleinThe Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
Classic Science Fiction - 1960-1969
73rd out of 85 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan 1.0
The World of Tiers is a step-pyramid of mind-boggling size, each tier populated with people plucked from various points in the earth's history as well as monsters created by the super science of the Lord, Jadawin. On with the show.

The Maker of Universes: The Maker of Universes starts out with Robert Wolff, a hen-pecked retiree, hearing the sounds of a horn being blown inside the basement closet of a house he and his wife are thinking of buying. Wolff opens the door and discovers a gateway to ano
Mike (the Paladin)
This is an Omnibus volume of the first 3 books. I read these long ago and really had almost forgotten them. When Robert Wolff finds a horn that opens a gate into what is apparently another universe (and steps through, don't they always? But then if he hadn't we wouldn't have a book to read would we?). He finds himself on a world made up of ascending "Tiers", much like one disc atop another (No, Terry Pratchett had nothing to do with it).

We get a "revelation about Wolff as the first volume ends (
Kristie
This was a totally random find. I realized I had the series digitally and could put it on my PDA so I started reading it. It is a great story, nice twists and excellent writing. Not too much description of the surroundings, but enough to make you feel like you are there. Characters are well done and the situations they are put in keep the story going at a very nice pace.

Highly recommended for Sci-Fi fans.
Gilliam
Lightweight, episodic fantasy adventure inclusive of everything but the kitchen sink; boasting gobs of violence, the obligatory objectification of the female form as well as the prototypical prepubescent obsession with "manly manliness".
Chris Bensen
This is the first in an unforgettable fast-paced series of fantasy novels that would make excellent films, very pulpy and wonderful about another realm consisting of stacked enormous planes like pancakes, each its own world.
Charles
I have the Science Fiction Book club Omnibus of the first two Tiers books, "The Maker of Universes" and "The Gates of Creation." Both books are excellent. Mine is a different cover from this one.
Olga
I have now read the first 77 pages out of "The Maker of Universes". This book makes me want to give up on reading what is called "sci-fi" altogether. The book is really a fantasy book, there is not much "science"... There is a lot of violence, plenty of corpses, ... Endless travel through the tiers (regions). Not much of development of characters... The author threw together some bits and pieces from myths, Native American culture,... Could it be more of a superficial hodge-podge of what an aver ...more
Carol Cotter
Mar 26, 2015 Carol Cotter marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
RC
Pulp fantasy that goes on far too long.
Travis
A rift opens in space and an old man finds himself on the strange wedding cake shaped world. Fun bit of fantasy full of fights, quests, daring do, centaurs and damsels.
The World of Tiers is one of the great fantasy worlds.

My only problem is that Farmer becomes more interested in the main character's sidekick and the 'hero' gradually gets phased out of the book.
That and the threat of the 'Bellers' becoming the main plot and I didn't think they were the most interesting bad guy that Farmer introdu
Tim Deans
I generally love all of Philip Farmer's work and this is no exception. Finding a doorway to another universe might not be a new concept, but the way the universe he describes is incredible. A world built in slices - the tiers of the title - with columns between them. And each world populated by creatures and people abducted from other worlds. The main character, Wolff, finds himself in the world of tiers and has to unravel its mysteries and is aided by a stranded earthman, Kickaha. Brilliant!
Andrea
I'm not a huge fan of stright sci-fi novels, however this one really caught me big time. I was drawn into it within the first three pages and could not put it down until I finished it. I closed the book and looked at it for a few minutes before I could put it down. I gave it to my mother and she had a rave review for it also. I loved the plot in this book, the leads were interesting, and so were the villians. Pick it up and give it a go.
Stuart
Unfinished, although I read most of the first volume (there are two volumes in this book). Just couldn't get into it. A look at Wikipedia made the twist intriguing, but getting there was just not worth it at this moment. Still, I imagine if I had read this while younger, I would have enjoyed it much more.
David
Loved it years ago as a young teenager. It is very corny, as is the whole series, a bit like a hollywood movie where the completely out gunned hero can defeat all comers. But original.
JB Peterson
A fantasy adventure classic. If you follow Robert Wolff into the World of Tiers you will not want to leave.
Dean
Started strong, but then it fell apart. I've been spoiled by more contemporary sci-fi/fantasy authors!
Andy
COMPRISES THREE NOVELS: MASTER OF UNIVERSES (1965); THE GATES OF CREATION (1966); A PRIVATE COSMOS (1967).
Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk
Entertaining - but corny! It has something of the Edgar Rice Burroughs about it.
Peter
I found the Tiers trilogy fascinating when a teen but nowadays it's a bit ho hum
Nietra
One of my all time favorites. Good for a yearly re-read.
Georgi Sokolov
Great fantasy, one I read like 15 years ago
Chris Mcmanaman
Page turner! Loved this series
Albert
So far quite ok
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Stanwise
Stanwise marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
  • High Justice
  • Dwellers in the Mirage
  • Satan's World
  • Doctor Who: The Faceless Ones (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 116)
  • The Argonaut Affair (Time Wars, #7)
  • The Vang: The Military Form (The Vang, #2)
  • Martians, Go Home
  • Dilvish, the Damned
  • Galactic Empires 2
  • Limits
  • The Singers of Time
Philip José Farmer was an American author, principally known for his science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories. He was born in Terre Haute, Indiana, but spent much of his life in Peoria, Illinois.

Farmer is best known for his Riverworld series and the earlier World of Tiers series. He is noted for his use of sexual and religious themes in his work, his fascination for and reworking of th
More about Philip José Farmer...

World of Tiers (8 books)
  • The Maker of Universes (World of Tiers, #1)
  • The Gates of Creation (World of Tiers, #2)
  • A Private Cosmos (World of Tiers #3)
  • Behind the Walls of Terra (World of Tiers, # 4)
  • The Lavalite World (World of Tiers #5)
  • Red Orc's Rage (World of Tiers #6)
  • More Than Fire (World of Tiers, #7)
  • The World of Tiers
To Your Scattered Bodies Go (Riverworld, #1) The Fabulous Riverboat (Riverworld, #2) The Dark Design (Riverworld, #3) The Magic Labyrinth (Riverworld, #4) The Gods of Riverworld (Riverworld, #5)