Start by marking “Madame Pamplemousse And Her Incredible Edibles” as Want to Read:
Madame Pamplemousse And Her Incredible Edibles

Madame Pamplemousse And Her Incredible Edibles (Madame Pamplemousse #1)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Madeleine is forced to work in her uncle's horrible restaurant. By chance she comes across the most marvellous shop, run by Madame Pamplemousse. A quiet comradeship develops between Madeleine, Madame Pamplemousse, and Madame's cat. Together they create some wonderful culinary magic.
Published August 1st 2009 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Madame Pamplemousse And Her Incredible Edibles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madame Pamplemousse And Her Incredible Edibles

Dawn Rutherford
I was looking for kids foodie chapter book for my bookgroup to read this summer and stumbled upon this little treat. I'm not sure who the market is for this series, as they are a bit odd. Francophiles tweens who love Roald Dahl? But I enjoyed the atmosphere of this one, and the passion for cooking it celebrated. I think it will make a nice light summer read for the foodies.
This delectable little treat took about half an hour to read and was absolutely charming. Young fans of Ratatouille will adore it (there is a cooking cat instead of rat) and the loose pencil drawings reminded me of Quentin Blake. It would make a fine readaloud for 4th/5th grade.
Madeleine, neglected by her parents, was sent each summer to work for her uncle, Monsieur Lard. Monsieur Lard ran a restaurant in the centre of Paris called The Squealing Pig. Madeleine would have loved working at The Squealing Pig if she had been allowed to cook. She loved to cook for others, sharing her passion for food.

Unfortunately for Madeleine, at The Squealing Pig, her role was more that of a Cinderella then a Top Chef. She spent her days at the kitchen sink, large stacks of dishes and po
Cela faisait un moment que ce titre était dans ma PAL. A tel point que je ne sais même plus comment j'en ai entendu parler !

Sans être le titre de l'année, c'est un ouvrage sympa, et j'ai bien apprécié ma lecture.
Le personnage principale, Madeleine, est une gentille jeune demoiselle, qui contrairement à beaucoup d'héroïne jeunesse, n'est pas une agaçante madame je sais tout. Elle sait beaucoup de choses en cuisine, mais est consciente qu'elle a encore beaucoup à apprendre. Elle est gentille, obé
A cute story with a nice dose of grossness and almost malicious justice. Clearly, a good choice for fans of Roald Dahl. In fact, the Dahl comparison is not only readily apparent, but probably intentional. The illustrations are even a similar style. Almost immediately, we get a description of the types of edibles that can be found in Madame Pamplemousse's shop.

Among the dried meats, there are Salt-Cured Raptor Tails, Pterodactyl Bacon, Smoked Sabre-Tooth Tiger, and Rolled Tyrannosaurus Rex Tongue
A wonderful, little book; if you enjoy Roald Dahl/Lemony Snicket type books, this should appeal to you, also!
Madeleine has parents - but they don't seem to care for her at all. Every summer she is sent to work in the kitchen of the restaurant run by her cruel and greedy Uncle Lard. She does discover, however, that she has a gift for cooking. One day, she mistakenly enters the shop of the mysterious Madame Pamplemousse and the rest, as they say, is history.
This would be a great read-aloud for a
Tina  M
I bought this on Kindle today, and Truly and I are finding it DELIGHTFUL!

I love this quote (it reminds me of you, Truly)...

"The ingredients I use are not especially remarkable. Exquisite, yes, and delicious, but only things. It is you yourself that gives flavour to your cooking- your character, your dreams, your smiles, your tears."
Asi nakoniec 2,5*
Briti tú to trilógiu oslavujú, ako niečo úžasné. Mne sa to však nepáčilo. A btw. najprv som mal pocit, že to bude niečo historické, veď aj tá obálka tak vyzerá, aj postavy aj dej je taký a napokon som zisti, že sa to odohráva v súčasnosti... nuž otras...
Neodporúčam nikomu :)
Timothy Power
This book is charmingly written, but the story is so slight I was afraid it would blow away at any minute! I longed for a custard, what is here is a meringue. :)
Charlyn  Trussell
Madeleine is an excellent cook, a talent which she should be able to use in her uncle's restaurant in Paris. Monsieur Lard, her uncle, forbids her to cook lest she outshine his efforts--which she would quickly do. In her errands for him, she finds a small shop owned by a Madame Pamplemousse that sells "incredible edibles" made from fantastical ingredients such as dragons and sea monsters. Instead of the paté which her uncle chooses from another store, Madeleine buys paté here and it quickly bec ...more

Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles
by Rupert KIngfisher
160 pages
Bloomsbury Publishing PLC $8.99
ISBN 0747592306

Madeleine is not here to stir up trouble but working at her selfish, mean and arrogant Uncle Lard's restaurant has made her so. A chef herself, she knows why her Uncle's restaurant is in trouble and tries to help. Unintentionally, she runs into a little shop full of curious food and finds friendship in an unlikely setting and a chance to get
Très sympathique petit roman pour la jeunesse emprunt de magie, de cuisine et de chat borgne bien mystérieux.

Madeleine est mal traitée par son oncle. Celui-ci ne supporte pas qu'elle soit douée en cuisine et décide de faire comme avec ses cuisiners : proscrire son talent. Elle doit faire la plonge et ne toucher à rien d'autre. Les autres cuisiniers ont peur de leur patron et ne bougent pas.

C'est en envoyant Madeleine chercher un pâté que son oncle affectionne que celle-ci découvre un met délicie
Julie Davis
Madeleine must work in her horrible Uncle Lard’s restaurant, The Squealing Pig, every summer. Though a fairly good cook herself, Madeleine is only allowed to wash dishes and stay out of the way. But one evening while on an errand for the chef, her luck changes. As she wanders through the streets of Paris, she happens upon a tiny shop. Not just any shop, but Edibles owned by Madame Pamplemousse.
This is a delightful little book which shows faint echoes of Roald Dahl's influence. The sense of whim
Books Kids Like
Madame Pamplemousse owns a tiny shop that sells exotic food delicacies. Monsieur Lard owns the Squealing Pig, a restaurant of questionable cuisine. The finest chef at the Pig is Lard’s niece, Madeleine, but Lard forbids her to cook because of professional jealousy. One day, Monsieur Lard sends his niece to buy more “Mixed Innards” pate. On the way, Madeleine sees a white cat stand on his hind feet and walk through a door. She follows him and meets Madame Pamplemousse who gives her “Pate of North ...more
Yesterday, Mom and I were driving to Anchorage and back to watch Logic videos with some homeschool moms. Mom was looking for a short story that I could read to her and chose this. It was a cute story taking place in Paris. But, I must say it was a little gross, and since I'm not exactly a foodie, I didn't find anything particularly charming about this story. If I could, I might give it a 3.5 rating, but since I can't I settled with three.
Mickaéline Cuny
Les personnages sont peut-être un brin caricaturaux, mais qu'est-ce que j'ai aimé détester, ce "gros" Lard. Le nom donné à l'oncle de Madeleine, est vraiment judicieux. Je ne vous parle même pas de la représentation qu'en fait Sue Hellard.
En bref, des livres à découvrir, ou à faire découvrir à vos enfants, malgré un côté féminin, ils conviennent aussi parfaitement aux jeunes garçons.
3 stars. Grades 2-4. Madeleine is a sweet young girl who can really cook. But she is forced, every summer, to scrub dishes and do menial labor for her horrible, hateful Uncle Lard, the owner of the Squealing Pig restaurant. One day, sent on an errand, Madeleine happens upon a shabby little food store and encounters the mysterious Madame Pamplemousse. When she returns to the Squealing Pig with a rare and extraordinary delicacy from Pamplemousse all sorts of things begin to happen. It's bubble, bu ...more
Olivia Woodhead
A great book different to any other I have ever read! The plot is about a young girl who is sent away every summer and has to stay with her 'big jolly' uncle and has the most gruesome time until one day she discovers the weirdest things ever tasted along with a new friendship that will last forever...
très mignon, tout chou, très frais, sucré, de jolis dessins, c'est un petit livre à déguster avec plaisir et très rapide à lire, tout léger, pour se détendre, que vous soyez enfant ou pas, pour vous-même ou vos enfants, petits cousins, nièces,... je lirai certainement la suite ! :)
Un roman digne héritier de l'univers de Roald Dahl. Je me suis régalée avec cette petite fille futée, cet oncle incroyablement bête et méchant et les mets les plus improbables de Madame Pamplemousse, dans un Paris de carte postale !
A lovely story with hints of Dahl and Ratatouille...not short of delectable details! #1 child reading it now. ..can't wait for the next two books in the trilogy to arrive in the mail!
This is a great read aloud / practice reading book for 10-11 year olds. Engaging and funny, silly, but dark enough at points to give it some depth. We loved it.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
This delicious and charming little gem is ratatouille and Willy Wonka's factory (if it makes regular foodstuff and not candies) rolled into one, sprinkled with Rupert Kingfisher's own brand of gentle humor and inventiveness. At parts it made me laugh out loud, and it holds enough suspense to keep me interested to the end. It's great that the evil pig-like Uncle Lard is not so severely punished! He just found his true calling. The naming of all characters with French food names makes it a highly ...more
Madeleine is sent every summer to work at her terrible uncle's restaurant. She's a pretty good cook but her uncle refuses to let her do anything besides wash dishes. One day, she is sent by her uncle on an errand and accidentally enters the mysterious shop run by Madame Pamplemousse and everything changes!

I couldn't help but think of Roald Dahl and the Pixar film "Ratatouille" while reading this. It would undoubtedly be a good choice for fans of both or either. The hint of unexplained magic, the
Cute little story of a hapless girl whose horrible, fat, smelly, despicable uncle forces her to slave as s dishwasher even though she has the potential to be a great chef.

I think where this book fell down for me was the food. I love food -- that's why I got the book. But nothing described sounded good at all. Of course Uncle Lard's cuisine was supposed to be revolting, but Madame Pamplemousse's didn't sound too appealing, either. In fact, it seemed rather like a foreigner's stereotype of weird,
Ratatouille meets Roald Dahl, very enjoyable. My 5yo niece and 7yo nephew loved it.
Simply adorable. Just the type of book I would want to write if I got up the guts! Madeleine lives in France, temporarily under the guardianship of her porcine uncle, who runs a not-so-hot restaurant. When Madeleine stumbles upon a little shop full of delightful and delicious delicacies, she brings back some pate for her uncle, only to find herself hired out as help in the shop and tasked with stealing Madame Pamplemousse's greatest recipe. Instead Pamplemousse fosters the inate skills in the bu ...more
This was a delightful quick read. We liked the descriptive language.
Très jeunesse mais un livre frais qui ramène en enfance
Madeline is sent to live with her uncle during the summer. Her uncle Lard owns a restaurant called The Squealing Pig. Madeline loves to cook, but unfortunately, her horrid uncle makes sure she never gets to do that - she just has to wash greasy dishes and do other grunt work. One day, Madeline is sent on an errand, and she stumbles into Madame Pamplemousse's Incredible Edibles store. This magical store turns Madeline's life around as well as her uncle's.

A quick read with pictures and spaces. Kin
Goodreads Librari...: i cudnt find this book, caun u please add it 2 25 Nov 14, 2014 06:07PM
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)
  • Very Hairy Bear
  • Claude In The City
  • Bodies from the Ice: Melting Glaciers and the Recovery of the Past
  • Wonder Bear
  • The Unnameables
  • Why Did the Chicken Cross the Road?
  • Zorgamazoo
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: The First Adventure
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • Secrets of Shakespeare’s Grave (The Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Bear's Picture
  • Mary and the Mouse, the Mouse and Mary
  • Rose (Rose, #1)
  • Mr Gum and the Goblins
Rupert Kingfisher’s first book, Madame Pamplemousse and Her Incredible Edibles, was highly acclaimed. His favourite authors as a child were Roald Dahl, Susan Cooper and Ursula le Guin. He also loved American horror comics and French cartoon books such as Asterix and Tintin. It was on a family holiday to Paris that he visited a bookshop dedicated to books such as Tintin – and also ate anchovies for ...more
More about Rupert Kingfisher...

Madame Pamplemousse (3 books)
  • Madame Pamplemousse And The Time Travelling Cafe (Madame Pamplemousse, #2)
  • Madame Pamplemousse and the Enchanted Sweet Shop (Madame Pamplemousse, #3)