Start by marking “Charlie All Night” as Want to Read:
Charlie All Night

Charlie All Night (Jennifer Crusie Bundle)

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  9,185 Ratings  ·  422 Reviews
Dumped by her boyfriend and demoted from WBBB's prime time spot, radio producer Allie McGuffey has nowwhere to go but up. She plans to make her comebck by turning temporary DJ Charlie Tenniel into a household name. And if he's willing the help cure her breakup blues with a rebound fling, that's an added bonus.

Charlie just wants to kick back, play good tunes and eat Chines
Published January 18th 2011 by HQN Books (first published March 18th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie All Night

Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Sep 03, 2014 Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lkay ❇✾The one-click buy button addict❇✾
4 STARS
This was recommended to my by my good friend, Lana... She must have read all 90s CR out there... lol

Anyway, this book was really what I was looking for, short, funny, and real dialogues along the way!
April Wood
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

That moment when you realize what the title of the book means...

Radio producer Allie has been dumped by her boyfriend, and demoted to the 10 pm - 2 am spot on the radio. When temporary DJ Charlie comes in, he awakens in her this go-getter attitude of making him famous, (and boosting her career in the process). What she wasn't expecting, was to fall in love... Too bad Charlie is only around for a short four weeks.

Charlie isn't interested in being famous. As a matter of fact he isn't even a real
Willow Brook
I tried to give this 3 stars, but just couldn't. Crusie is one of my absolute favorites, but if this book hadn't been on my Kindle, I know I never would have finished it. It lacked Crusie's usual well-drawn characters, full of quirks and insecurities. It definitely lacked the fun and funny banter she is known for. The hero and heroine didn't have much chemistry whether they engaging in brand new lust or falling in love. Plus, they seemed to spend most of the story apart due to a silly "celibate ...more
Katie
So I liked this a lot, but I also feel like it was just slightly off from the Crusie ideal. Like all the pieces were there, there was that great story flow, the fun, and great characters, but I feel like it didn't get all the way there.

More specifically, (view spoiler)
Juliana Philippa
(3.5 stars) Charlie All Night is not my favorite Jennifer Crusie book and like a few of her other earlier ones feels more like a novella than a full-length novel. Regardless, it is an enjoyable read and very entertaining. The chemistry between Allie and Charlie is great and they have some fantastic dialogue, there are several humorous scenes, and the secondary characters are wonderful - especially Joe, Allie's gay roommate. All in all, the book is definitely worth checking out from the library ( ...more
Bree
I've enjoyed a few of the more recent Crusie books and have been checking out her backlist now that it is in eBook form. Unfortunately, I think she was still finding her way in her early books. What I enjoy about her more recent books is the realistic, humorous voice of her characters, primary and secondary. That humor is still in evidence here, but she's also trying to mix in suspense, and I think it results in just too much going on. As a result, character development suffers.

Allie is interest
Jenny (Reading Envy)
My first foray into romance wasn't a huge hit but I could sense this wouldn't be quite my thing. I actually read a few books by Crusie in the early 2000's, and they aligned with this one - light plot, lots of breathless throbbing desire, and a somewhat unique setting of a late night radio show.

I would say Crusie saves her best writing for the sex scenes and she isn't nearly as descriptive in her writing about the radio station or the Chinese food, although those also make multiple appearances.
Mireille
Jul 09, 2015 Mireille rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-in-2015
Ahhhh this was so good. Crusie at her best - it might actually be my favorite Crusie. I highlighted a bunch of lines - that first conversation in the bar, and then with Joe, and then with Mark, it's all so, so wonderful. I also liked the overall radio plot, even though obviously Allie and Charlie were the most compelling part. It's hilarious and also very sexy, way more than other Crusies. Really, a ton of fun.

And now I'm sad because this was the last book in my "Jennifer Crusie Book Bundle" and
Marina
Oct 27, 2012 Marina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I obviously didn't like that book. I do enjoy chick-lit, so it's not that I didn't know what I was getting into, but. But. What is this plot? I didn't like the main plot, which is their love-story but I'll get into this later... Because the "subplots" were even worst: 1) he, Charlie, is investigating some mystery, but I didn't understand if he was a detective or he was just doing it to make his father happy (which makes no sense because he hates him), and it's the most stupid mystery in th ...more
Hazel
Aug 17, 2012 Hazel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Cruise must be an animal lover. Of the books I've read from her they all contained dogs. This one isn't an exception. It's a lethal mix: cute animals, humour & a love story. Everything that a good rom com movie has which is what makes her books so addictive.

I never used to read romance or chick lit books coz the ones my aunts used to read we're sooooo stupid! But thank god there are now writers like Crusie that can write intelligent & funny chick lit.

So yeah I give this book a perfect
Samantha
Aug 01, 2014 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: meh-books

It got better when the radio show started, but it still didn't do it for me. I thought it wasn't plausible, which is hilarious, considering it's contemporary romance.

I've had better.
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 02, 2014 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, steamy
Wow. That was a nice upshift in quality. Still a 90s book (not even that late at 1996) but much closer to her 2000s in quality. I really liked both protagonists, not least because they fit so very well together (but maybe that's my crush on Charlie speaking). Crusie's strengths are all manifest here, if not in absolute top form, then at least firmly in their zone.

A note about Steamy: In the mid range with three explicit scenes of moderate length (and that third is a doozy). Not a lot of fooling
Amanda Westmont
I like just about anything by Crusie, but this wasn't my favorite. These earlier plots seemed to tip heavily around mis-communication between hero/heroine and I just NEVER buy it. She writes these strong, feisty protagonists who refuse to ask simple questions that any woman would ask on a first date, like, WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU GROW UP? Basically, the protagonist of this novel knows NOTHING about the hero and falls in love with him anyway. It's fun and cute and ridiculously difficult t ...more
Jen
Jul 30, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute, one-sitting read. I did laugh out loud for a few parts, but I vaguely remember another book by Cruise that I read ages ago being funnier than this one.

SPOILERS FOLLOW

It got a bit preachy with the whole "legalize medicinal marijuana now" theme and I don't really like spicy scenes, but they were pretty easy to skip and it did make reading the book faster. Not a bad book, but I suspect not her best. I have a copy of her book "Bet Me" and I'm looking forward to reading it. It's bee
Andree
Jul 18, 2014 Andree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Giggle.

Seriously, that's pretty much it. That's pretty much the review. This was generally just charming.

I really enjoy the ridiculous cast of characters at the small town radio station. Snarky Charlie and Allie and their on-air arguments! (Although, I've suddenly realized that "he's the on-air talent, she's his producer pushing him to reach his potential" is a trope I seriously enjoy. (view spoiler)
Rehab
Oct 26, 2014 Rehab rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved it

it's the whole package; sweet, funny, romantic but still down to earth, promotes nice ideas and morals and causes .... and it has many good people in it.

the story is simple, predictable even, yet very interesting.
the charachters are really well written, the plot is nicely weaven.

In addition to Charlie and Allie; I loved every oneelse as much.
Grady, and his mother, Harry, Karen and even Bill.
I felt sorry for Lisa and really wanted to hit Mark.

and I especially loved that the
~KarenH~

I really enjoyed this book, it was just what I was needing since I've been reading a lot of very intense stuff lately. Light, funny, with just a small touch of a serious storyline (legalization of medical marijuana) to give it some substance, but not so much that it made the whole book too serious. I liked the fact that the main characters are both initially described as just kind of average - in fact at one point the hero is described as having "the kind of face that the big, good-natu
Julie
I read this book in one sitting because it was so much fun. It's totally adorable. Allie is a radio producer, and she picks up this dude Charlie in a bar by getting him to pose as her boyfriend in front of her ex. Only she doesn't know at first that Charlie is the new DJ whose show she's producing. They have a one-night stand, which turns into a multiple night thing as they work together. Charlie just kind of moves in with Allie and her gay best friend/roommate, Joe (who needs his own book becau ...more
Izia
Oct 24, 2012 Izia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a short and fun read.
I really enjoyed reading this book.
Reading Charlie All Night was like using heroine. You do it without much thinking, and you really don't benefit from it, but it's fun.

The whole tone of the book is just light and very chic lit-ish.
You can't deny that Jennifer Crusie is one of the best chic lit author out there. Her characters are fun to read and her stories are just light and perfect for off days.

Sometimes, we readers, need a break from dark and deep novels that lea
Kazen
Sep 19, 2012 Kazen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I'm normally a paranormal romance reader Crusie came highly recommended for her characters' witty banter. There was some in Getting Rid of Bradley, but none here.

Not only was the conversation dull, but sometimes it made no sense. Charlie says he's going to miss someone's jokes when I can't remember a single punchline being delivered. Allie reminds Charlie not to be controversial, then gets into a long discussion about sex on air with few reservations. It didn't add up.

Nor did the hijinx a
Jeri
Dec 12, 2010 Jeri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 - Because it was so much fun. This book had me laughing out loud. I find myself wanting to quote favorite bits of dialogue, such as the conversation between the Allie (the heroine), Charlie (the man she has just met and with whom she is considering a fling), Joe (her gay roommate) and Mark (her ex-boyfriend): Mark looked from Charlie to Allie to Joe, evidently reading Allie's mind.

"So who is he sleeping with?"

"Me." Allie held her hand like a polite child, her plan now in place. "Joe gets him
Beth
Jul 10, 2015 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The first half is quippy and funny and fast-paced, and then the second half mixed escapism with politics - and worse, it dragged and had a cookie-cutter ending, an ending I didn't believe. (view spoiler)

Obviously I am a persnickety person who is impossible to please, though.
Jennavier
Apr 24, 2014 Jennavier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some days when light and fluffy really is all you need, and when that happens Charlie All Night is a great book to read. I enjoyed the humor and the characters. I found the plot a little weak and the overall resolution a trifle baffling. All in all a win on my end.
Eleni Konstantine
Wickedly funny.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. It was a great book to listen to while driving causing me to laugh out loud and many moments. There were a couple of hot love scenes which were blush worthy if anyone could have heard the story.

The narrator did a great job of distinguishing the comments. Near the beginning when Allie is making a fool of herself trying to 'pick' up Charlie by pretending to be perky, Charlie turns to her and says 'What are you doing?' It absolutely cracked me up.

The roman
Tiffany
Oct 05, 2014 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Super cute and cheesy. I needed a mindless one to cleanse the palette after my last book. The end was a little lame but it was a quick read
D. B.
Sep 02, 2015 D. B. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like romantic comedies, but there is not really a comparable genre in books. The closest I've found are "funny romance novels," and Jennifer Crusie came highly recommended as the funniest romance writer.

Crusie has a natural wit that's only marred when she "goes for the joke" (which are usually cheesy clunkers), and she has a deft touch with prose and a strong sense of character and dialogue. There's a lot to like about Crusie's writing, but not much to recommend Charlie All Night.

The plotting
Lokki
Mar 21, 2015 Lokki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Crusie has proven again and again that she is a force to be reckoned with in the field of chick lit. She creates wonderful lighthearted romps with realistic and lovable characters. Charlie All Night is no exception.

(view spoiler)
TheSlump BookReviewer
What an appropriate title because I stayed up all night reading this one! This wasn’t my first Crusie book but it was the first one that I instantly fell in love with. Charlie All Night by Jennifer Crusie is one of the first books I remember crushing out on. So…what’s it about? Here’s the summary posted on Goodreads:

Dumped by her boyfriend and demoted from WBBB's prime-time spot, radio producer Allie McGuffey has nowhere to go but up. She plans to make her comeback by turning temporary DJ Charli
Sridevi
Charlie All Night
I had read this book because of the name Jennifer Crusie on the cover. I had read Bet Me and 2 other of her works before, but only Bet Me had caught my fantasy.
I decided to give one last try to Ms.Crusie's books and I turned to Charlie All Night pretty much by accident.
I feel glad!!

Easily one of the best clean,simple romances I have ever read. This book had it all!

We start with the heroine Allie a 30-something woman who just got demoted in her job - of being a producer on a

Gina Hott
I must admit that although I did enjoy this book it wasn't terrific. The plot was ok - it had great potential - but it just didn't cut it.

A friend of Charlie's dad, Bill, asked Charlie to come to work undercover at his radio station and see why he's gotten an anonymous letter saying that something illegal was happening at the station. So Charlie jumped on board and came to the rescue. His first day there he runs into Allie - who just happens to be slated to be his producer - and they hit it off.
Romance Readers R...: Buddy read: Charlie All Night 11 23 Mar 04, 2012 06:20PM
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Tangled Up In You (Truly Idaho, #2; Writer Friends, #3)
  • Knock Me Off My Feet
  • Baby, Don't Go
  • Breathing Room
  • The Corset Diaries
  • Making Waves
  • Hot Item (Hot Zone, #3)
  • Not Another New Year's (Holidays, #2)
  • Too Good to Be True
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
19005
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
More about Jennifer Crusie...

Jennifer Crusie Bundle (5 books)
  • Jennifer Crusie Bundle
  • Getting Rid of Bradley
  • Strange Bedpersons
  • What the Lady Wants

“His sentences didn't seem to have any verbs, which was par for a politician. All nouns, no action. ” 104 likes
“King scratched at the door to be let out."
Charlie snorted. "King obviously has a lot of stamina. I'd have been clawing
at the door a lot sooner if I was trapped in a booth with Mark."
"But Mark ignored him, so King... uh, pooped."
Charlie grinned. "And then?"
"Mark yelled at him and scared him." Harry fought back a grin. "So King
pooped again."
Charlie's grin widened. "Mark is an idiot."
"So then Mark waved the script at him, and King—"
"Pooped again." Charlie started to laugh.
"Then Marcia came in and threw a fit because of all the poop in the booth and because Mark was mistreating a puppy. She gave him ten minutes to get the booth clean, and she took the dog away from him.”
6 likes