Start by marking “Street Photography Now” as Want to Read:
Street Photography Now

Street Photography Now

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  20 reviews
For the last twenty years the candid photography of life in public has
been mostly underground but secretly flourishing, stimulated by the
wide availability of digital cameras, a profusion of photoblogs, and new
self-publishing opportunities.

Street Photography Now showcases the work of forty-six image-makers
who are notable for their candid depictions of life on the streets an...more
Published October 15th 2010 by Thames & Hudson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Street Photography Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Photography Now

Jereme Rauckman
I believe that with photography---and street photography, in particular---one must really delve into a photographer's body of work to experience his or her art. Three or four photos is not enough. There are some talented shooters in here that I wanted to explore further, but I was unable to find good presentations of their work elsewhere. As for those who do have published collections readily available, I was quite familiar with them prior to reading this book already.

That being said, this is a...more
Eric Strijbos
Everyone interested in Street photography will have his book shortlist that likely will be topped by Robert Frank's The Americans and contain this or that by Cartier-Bresson, but if you want to look beyond the uncropped, black and white and film dogmas of the Street 'purists', this is it. Street photography is still alive, and very much 'now', and this book shows it. As such it can be a great inspiration, especially when you've got tired and demotivated by the countless online discussions what i...more
Drew Brereton
A beautiful book of modern street photography. It is essentially a sampler of the work of many different photographers, with each getting 2-8 pages, or so. The authors describe the approach used by each, including several quotes and observations. The pictures are really wonderful; often moving, striking, or humorous. It's a great read for fans of street photography. My only criticism is that the text felt a little repetitive toward the end, after describing the often similar styles of so many di...more
Mike
A good collection of current street photography from a global perspective. It is global now.

The book also interviews photographers about changing societal rules that challenge photographers in a world of CCTV, terrorism, and privacy concerns. Just today, March 15, 2014 Hungary passed a law that all photo subjects must consent to being photographed in public...

Overall a good photo book, in a world where there are fewer and fewer photography books at all.
Michael Bacon
As good as a book like this can be expected to be really, except one thing. Despite being a survey of street photography that is interested in different photographer's interests and processes, very little is said of how their photos are actually made. I wish more context was provided for individual photos. Still, it's excellent, and some might disagree with my quibble anyway.
Scott Lapierre
A nice effort. Well rounded, international, heterogeneous sense of what street photography is and can be. I wish the print quality had been a little better, and that the texts for many photographers defied the gallery gobbledegook so rampant in the art world (e.g., picked at random: "There's a tantalizing, asymptotic convergence between reality and a photograph, but the two never seem to get together."). But overall a welcome survey.

The discussion that concludes the book, though kind of nerdy, a...more
Bookworm
the writing was more interesting than the photos. and in photography, that's not the point. they all contained some mediocre aspect of photography, ie, elementary geometry based compositions, and or shock value photos, and gimmicks. nothing artistic or memorable, nothing substantial. the photos were very real and every day, as if just anyone could have taken them. it really made me appreciate the greats (Henri Cartier Bresson, Vivian Maier, Brassai, Diane Arbus..), that much more.
Tony
A good and enjoyable journey of current street photographers and their pictures. Nice to see Asian photographers being shown too. 46 photographers are show-cased from the well-konw, like Bruce Gilden and Martin Parr to the less well-known. Each photographer is given a short biography followed by a description about the style and objectives that each have with a small selection of photographs.

I really enjoyed this and still dip into it to get some inspiration.
Christel
Every photographer, professioanl or amateur, should have a look at this wonderful book. So many exapmles, styles, ideas: you want to grab your camera and start taking pictures immediatly.
My favorite quot from this book: 'If you can smell the street by looking at the photo, it's a street photograph' (Bruce Gilden)
Peter Hall
Plenty of well presented photos - some baffle, others inspire. Interesting essays and photographer profiles. Now where did I put the Leica...
Dan
This is a very good survey of Street Photography as of 2010. I learned about a new crop of active photographers that I will investigate further. It showed a bunch of different styles, as well. A great resource.
Sharada Prasad CS
I liked the choice of photos. But nothing about the exposure information in any of the photos. Also, the organization of the book is little weird. I enjoyed the photographs, but I was not super happy with all of them
Reacher
I was surprised by the high quality of the writing in this book, which being a photography book has an emphasis on the photos. I found it an excellent experience all around.
Ketan Shah
Oct 17, 2013 Ketan Shah added it
Shelves: non-fiction
An inspiring collection of street photography with an emphasis on the photographers and their philosophy of photography. Can be read at one shot or dipped into as the mood hits .
Alison
Well documented and inspiring, this book gives a quick introduction to some amazing street photographers.
Niti
Learnt that you can take pics of everyday routin and it can still tell a story and stand out..
João Lamas
A new look on every day subjects. Something to inspire my next photographic trip.
Jonathan
Fantastically inspiring!
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Paladi Marta
Paladi Marta marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Essence
Essence marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Oct 12, 2014
Diane T.
Diane T. marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart
  • On Being a Photographer: a Practical Guide
  • Woman in the Mirror
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • Understanding Shutter Speed: Creative Action and Low-Light Photography Beyond 1/125 Second
  • Annie Leibovitz at Work