Start by marking “The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story” as Want to Read:
The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

Oprah had a lightbulb moment when she connected with Debbie Ford′s shadow work. Now, Debbie deepens our shadow work and shows how our shadow side holds the key to our happiness. Each of us has a shadow that whispers stories of our own self-defeating fears to us-for example: that we aren′t enough, that we are unworthy of being loved, that we will be deserted by those whom w ...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by HarperOne (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Shadow

Mar 02, 2010 *elasticfate rated it liked it
It seemed like it would have been a great book for me to read several years ago, when I first embraked on this healing path. It didn't sync up well with where I am on that path now, so a lot of information didn't apply, but there were some good things that I needed to refresh on, so it was useful for that. It's definitely great for anyone who is just starting out on that path & is still holding onto a false sense of self.
Heather Anne
Jan 26, 2014 Heather Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
First, a couple of things stood out for me in this book. One, she told the story of a self-help addict who was stuck for many years, and never did get out of her rut -- because this woman was never brave enough to experience the pain before attempting to let go (if that makes sense). The author makes a convincing case of not letting any teaching or book dominate your life, especially if you are still stuck after a year. At that point, she suggests trying something else (maybe a new therapist) -- ...more
Oct 14, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
Your "story" either powers or disempowers. Moves you forward or holds you back. Who knew that getting to know that shadow, that part we don't want to acknowledge, let alone own, has even the slightest to do with anything? :)

Transformative book for me - one I go back to.
May 05, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Obviously, I loved this book. I had read "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" prior to this, and loved it as well. This book is great for someone struggling with self esteem, letting go of the past, and just not loving themselves. It gives realistic exercises to try (written ones) and challenges you to be your best self. Love it.
Erica Behr
Feb 15, 2015 Erica Behr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read self-help books, generally, because of the type of repetitive, overly dramatic, and painfully simple writing style (Debbie Ford is better than some, but on writing quality alone this would have rated a 1 for me). However, she has a valuable message, and her exercises for self-cultivation were very helpful for me.
Chanel Earl
May 14, 2016 Chanel Earl rated it really liked it
I was surprised by how much I liked this and how much I learned from it. I still haven't really internalized all of its lessons, but after one read I feel like I understand myself better, and it has helped to solidify some of the things I knew before, but never put into words or even recognized. I think anybody could learn something from this book if they read it with an open mind and a willingness to look twice at themselves.
Dec 24, 2015 Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: bought-2014
Feb 09, 2014 Siyka rated it really liked it
It's really intriguing to try and follow her ideas
Christian Buch
Jun 02, 2011 Christian Buch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastisk bog der handler om, hvordan du kommer i kontakt med dine skyggesider og at forstå hvordan du kan bruge det i din personlige udvikling. Debbie Ford formidler sit personlige udviklingsarbejde i et flydende sprog. Arbejder du med din personlige udvikling, er bogen absolut "must read" for dig som har indset, at skyggearbejde er styrkende. Bogen henvender sig til dig som allerede er i gang med din udviklingsproces, særlig fordi Debbie anvender en del metaforer for at komme i kontakt med de ...more
Jo Ann
Jan 23, 2014 Jo Ann rated it really liked it
This book "popped out" at me from a box of books given to me for my Little Free does have value, and I learned a lot from it!
Aug 09, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading books by Debbie Ford. She thinks about things in different ways than a lot of other self help authors do. I've read this book several times and uncover new things about myself every time. The exercises are great, if you take the time to do them.
Dec 25, 2013 Pooyan added it
Recommends it for: people who look for spiritual way to deal with their story of life
Debbie Ford proposes a new idea to me. Accept light and dark within yourself and make friends with your story. Own your story and don't let it own you otherwise I'd be in trouble. Profit from your story, not let it profit from you.
Aug 23, 2012 Angela rated it liked it
I wished for a much more substantial book, but the overall message of the necessity of acknowledging and accepting all parts of yourself is always a good one.
arsalan keramat
Apr 18, 2007 arsalan keramat rated it liked it
ein ketab haghaieghe ziadio az khodeman bar ma roshan mikonad. haghaieghi ke shaiad tavane pazireshash ra be rahati nadashte bashim
Fe Dia
Jul 10, 2013 Fe Dia rated it really liked it
Shelves: psycology
هستی مثل یه پازل بزرگ و پیچیده میمونه. ما, انسانها مثل تیکه های این پازل هستیم. وجود تک تک ما برای کامل شدن این پازل لازم هستش!
This is one of those that one must own in order to (hopefully) process through. Incredibly poignant, and very fitting.
Debbie Welsh
Sep 17, 2012 Debbie Welsh rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of hers I ever read and what a great read. I have re-read it again this year.
Fran Berret
Feb 26, 2012 Fran Berret rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-coaching
Healing Steps at the end of each chapter
Jul 18, 2008 Steph rated it it was amazing
This is a good self-help book.
Nazila Arasi
Oct 05, 2007 Nazila Arasi rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Found my life story.
Mar 11, 2013 Christa rated it liked it
Ok self help book.
Julia Moroney
Julia Moroney is currently reading it
Oct 23, 2016
Arezoo rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2016
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Matin MB
Matin MB rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2016
Mehrad added it
Oct 06, 2016
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Nel rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Zakgirl marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Mohsenfahmy Moussa
Mohsenfahmy Moussa marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • Love For No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • Stand Up for Your Life: A Practical Step-by-Step Plan to Build Inner Confidence and Personal Power
  • This Is Not the Life I Ordered: 50 Ways to Keep Your Head Above Water When Life Keeps Dragging You Down
  • Style Statement: Live By Your Own Design
  • Art Is a Way of Knowing
  • Recovery of Your Inner Child: The Highly Acclaimed Method for Liberating Your Inner Self
  • I Will Not Die an Unlived Life: Reclaiming Purpose and Passion
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius(tm)
  • Steering by Starlight: Find Your Right Life, No Matter What!
  • You Can Heal Your Life Companion Book
  • The Dance: Moving To the Rhythms of Your True Self
  • Italian Witchcraft: The Old Religion of Southern Europe
  • The Food and Feelings Workbook: A Full Course Meal on Emotional Health
  • Getting Real: 10 Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life
  • No Matter What!: 9 Steps to Living the Life You Love
  • Soultypes: Matching Your Personality and Spiritual Path
  • Project: Organization: Quick and Easy Ways to Organize Your Life
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...