The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

The Secret of the Shadow: The Power of Owning Your Story

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Oprah had a lightbulb moment when she connected with Debbie Ford′s shadow work. Now, Debbie deepens our shadow work and shows how our shadow side holds the key to our happiness. Each of us has a shadow that whispers stories of our own self-defeating fears to us-for example: that we aren′t enough, that we are unworthy of being loved, that we will be deserted by those whom w...more
Published December 3rd 2002 by HarperOne (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret of the Shadow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret of the Shadow

*elasticfate
It seemed like it would have been a great book for me to read several years ago, when I first embraked on this healing path. It didn't sync up well with where I am on that path now, so a lot of information didn't apply, but there were some good things that I needed to refresh on, so it was useful for that. It's definitely great for anyone who is just starting out on that path & is still holding onto a false sense of self.
Heather Anne
First, a couple of things stood out for me in this book. One, she told the story of a self-help addict who was stuck for many years, and never did get out of her rut -- because this woman was never brave enough to experience the pain before attempting to let go (if that makes sense). The author makes a convincing case of not letting any teaching or book dominate your life, especially if you are still stuck after a year. At that point, she suggests trying something else (maybe a new therapist) --...more
Tami
Your "story" either powers or disempowers. Moves you forward or holds you back. Who knew that getting to know that shadow, that part we don't want to acknowledge, let alone own, has even the slightest to do with anything? :)

Transformative book for me - one I go back to.
Crystal
Obviously, I loved this book. I had read "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers" prior to this, and loved it as well. This book is great for someone struggling with self esteem, letting go of the past, and just not loving themselves. It gives realistic exercises to try (written ones) and challenges you to be your best self. Love it.
Siyka
It's really intriguing to try and follow her ideas
Christian Buch
Fantastisk bog der handler om, hvordan du kommer i kontakt med dine skyggesider og at forstå hvordan du kan bruge det i din personlige udvikling. Debbie Ford formidler sit personlige udviklingsarbejde i et flydende sprog. Arbejder du med din personlige udvikling, er bogen absolut "must read" for dig som har indset, at skyggearbejde er styrkende. Bogen henvender sig til dig som allerede er i gang med din udviklingsproces, særlig fordi Debbie anvender en del metaforer for at komme i kontakt med de...more
Jo Ann
This book "popped out" at me from a box of books given to me for my Little Free Library...it does have value, and I learned a lot from it!
Natalie
I really enjoy reading books by Debbie Ford. She thinks about things in different ways than a lot of other self help authors do. I've read this book several times and uncover new things about myself every time. The exercises are great, if you take the time to do them.
Pooyan
Dec 25, 2013 Pooyan added it
Recommends it for: people who look for spiritual way to deal with their story of life
Debbie Ford proposes a new idea to me. Accept light and dark within yourself and make friends with your story. Own your story and don't let it own you otherwise I'd be in trouble. Profit from your story, not let it profit from you.
Angela
I wished for a much more substantial book, but the overall message of the necessity of acknowledging and accepting all parts of yourself is always a good one.
arsalan keramat
ein ketab haghaieghe ziadio az khodeman bar ma roshan mikonad. haghaieghi ke shaiad tavane pazireshash ra be rahati nadashte bashim
Fe Dia
هستی مثل یه پازل بزرگ و پیچیده میمونه. ما, انسانها مثل تیکه های این پازل هستیم. وجود تک تک ما برای کامل شدن این پازل لازم هستش!
Jasmine
This is one of those that one must own in order to (hopefully) process through. Incredibly poignant, and very fitting.
Debbie Welsh
This is the first book of hers I ever read and what a great read. I have re-read it again this year.
Fran B
Healing Steps at the end of each chapter
Steph
This is a good self-help book.
Nazila Arasi
Found my life story.
Christa
Ok self help book.
Jade S
Jade S is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Leslie Dvorshock
Leslie Dvorshock marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Shonna Hill
Shonna Hill is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Carolyn Hare
Carolyn Hare marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Lizzlec
Lizzlec marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Nihlaeth
Nihlaeth marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Andrew Sac
Andrew Sac is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Rianna Hampton
Rianna Hampton marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Debbie Ford was an American author of self-help books. Her first book, "The Dark Side Of The Light Chasers", spawned eight more books in the genre and dealt with confronting one's "dark side" rather than ignoring it. Ford also hosted television and radio shows related to her books.

She passed away due to complications from cancer in 2013.
More about Debbie Ford...
The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It Why Good People Do Bad Things: How to Stop Being Your Own Worst Enemy Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life