Start by marking “Slag Attack” as Want to Read:
Slag Attack

Slag Attack

A slag is what survivors are calling the slug-like maggots raining from the sky, burrowing inside people, and hollowing out their flesh and their sanity. Slag Attack features four visceral, noir stories about the living, crawling apocalypse. The Devastated Insides of Hollow City - Hack detective Shell joins in the insane search for a girl named Pearl, who just might hold ...more
Published July 19th 2010 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about Slag Attack, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slag Attack

Andersen Prunty
Jan 25, 2013 Andersen Prunty added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
I'm not actually reading this book. I wrote this book, which means I have read this book. Several times. It's good. You'd like it. It has 4 longish apocalyptic stories in it. Three of them are previously unpublished. One was previously published in the blue Bizarro Starter Kit. I'm giving it four stars because there are four stories. It's really like a seven star book.
Lea
Feb 19, 2012 Lea rated it really liked it
I have to give this one 4 stars on the writing alone -- Prunty is just an amazing writer. Did I like it? I'm not sure. But I have to give credit where it's due.

From the back cover:

Four interconnected tales set in a darkly surreal post-apocalyptic world.

A slag is what survivors are calling the slug-like maggots raining form the sky, burrowing inside people, and hollowing out their flesh and their sanity. SLAG ATTACK features four visceral, noir stories about the living, crawling apocalypse.

"The D
Bandit
Mar 31, 2016 Bandit rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apocalypse has seldom been grosser. Prunty's end of the world is told through four interconnected stories taking place around the eponymous attack. This must be bizarro, sometimes the plots are odd enough to tell immediately, sometimes they are too close to horror to discern. This one was odd enough to qualify. My first read by Prunty and I must say he's a good writer, but most of it gets buried under the repulsiveness of the context. It's like looking for jewels in giant piles of steaming fecal ...more
Matthew Vaughn
Feb 13, 2012 Matthew Vaughn rated it really liked it
Shelves: bizarro, 2012, reviewed
I got a copy of Slag Attack not knowing anything about this book. All I knew was it’s written by Andersen Prunty and I haven’t read anything from him that I didn’t like. It turns out this worked in my favor since this book was cool as hell. I’ve said it before, Prunty is a master of the dark and depressing. He puts his characters through some serious crap, and he does it like the expert he is.
The Slag’s fell from the sky, they look like a cross between slugs and maggots, and they basically feed
Belinda
Feb 24, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
So I will not sit here and pretend I know anything about bizarro fiction. I certainly know of it, and am familiar with the authors etc but I am no expert.
I loved this book. 4 short stories interconnected (a concept I really like) that deal with life during and after the apocalypse created by the raining down of creatures from the sky called "slags", a cross between a maggot and a slug (that got me right away as I hate both..lol..) so the creepiness factor was amped up for me.
I loved the way
Donald Armfield
RUN THE SLAGS ARE COMING!
4 stories from the hollow city where people are extinct due to these maggot looking slugs. People who are infected may show signs of vomiting, bleeding from the eyes and things crawling outta of there crevices. Anderson ties together. Gasoline drinking, kidnapping, action and just plan out gross that will make you quiver. Kinda like a movie straight outta of Tromaville.
Neil
Sep 17, 2014 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange book very very weird but highly enjoyable interconnected stories about creatures called slags that infest human beings turning them into jibbering wretches. 4 stars.
Chris Bowsman
Oct 07, 2010 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing
Finally, an apocalypse story devoid of any religious messages. No Satan vs god nonsense, just a bunch of slags and people forced to deal with them.
Justin Day
Nov 23, 2016 Justin Day rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was insane! I loved it! Such a cool vision of the apocalypse. It is so bizarre, and yet it kept me hooked from beginning to end. This is my second Prunty book and he never ceases to amaze me with his creativity. It's a nasty book, not for the easily sickened or offended but for certain people like me, I think it is perfect! Read it!
Nick Cato
Sep 24, 2010 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
Prunty's latest is a 4-story "mini-epic" centered around an apocalypse that's brought on by slug-like creatures raining from the sky. These nasty critters (known as Slags) like to eat their way inside people and before turning their insides to mush, wreak havoc with their minds.

In 'The Devastated Insides of Hollow City,' Prunty delivers a bizarro, noir-ish introduction to detective Shell, who's on the hunt for a woman named Pearl; it seems she might have some info on what's causing the slags to
Tommy Smith
Apr 25, 2014 Tommy Smith rated it really liked it
The book contains four stories. The first of these, I had originally read in an alternate collection and enjoyed, so I purchased the book for the full effect of what Andersen Prunty's Slag Attack was really all about. Four interconnected stories span the book, and for a review's sake, I thought it best to rate each individually.

The Devastated Insides of Hollow City was the story which first attracted me to the book. It paints quite an entertaining and original setting in Hollow City and even the
Kat
Oct 16, 2011 Kat rated it liked it
Technically, I would have rated this book 3.5 stars...

This book is comprised of four short stories all linked to one topic...the world has been attacked by slags, sluggy worm-like creatures who devour anything they can wrap their mouths around. In the first story, "The Devastated Insides of Hollow City," we meet Shell. He is new to Hollow City and is on the search for Pearl, the Queen of Town. One little problem, everyone else in Hollow City is looking for her too, and oh yeah...she supposedly s
R.A. Harris
May 12, 2012 R.A. Harris rated it really liked it
Nevertaken
Dec 01, 2010 Nevertaken rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I won this with just two being given away, and I can't wait for it to show up. I also bought Jack and Mr. Grin, and Morning is Dead that I've been meaning to read, so I'll likely be reading all three within the next 3 weeks or so and getting real reviews up for them all. The first two I got were on the Kindle, so it's awesome I'm getting a signed paperback for free.

Big thank you to Andersen Prunty, Goodreads, Eraserhead Press, and anyone else involved.
Rodney
Nov 09, 2015 Rodney rated it really liked it
Shelves: eraserhead-press
I really liked how Prunty linked the separate stories together. It made for an interesting read. The disturbing maggot-like slags are taking over and the struggle of each set of characters was diverse. I have yet to read anything I didn't like from this author. I am just sad that I have nearly read everything he has published, and will soon be reduced to slobbering in anticipation of all things new. This one does elude to a possible sequel. We shall see.
Bárbara
Jun 23, 2015 Bárbara rated it it was amazing
Cuatro historias que se unen bajo la premisa de que el fin del mundo se produce por la aparición de unos seres que parecen una mezcla de babosas con gusanos los cuales devoran todo y todos. Me gusta que no haya moraleja o algo similar, las cosas simplemente pasan y ya.
Padre
Dec 29, 2011 Padre rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
+ The slag invasion
+ A couple of scenes and ideas

- Present tense
- A bit boring

2,5 stars. I would give it three stars, but I'm too tired of present tense narration. It's a trick. It's overused. Stop it.
Landy
Nov 10, 2010 Landy rated it it was amazing
Thank you Andersen and Goodreads for this free copy to read. I have just recieved the book and have alreeady read the first story. This is a great book and is perfect for my reading enjoyment. Thanks again.
William III
Aug 30, 2010 William III rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Very entertaining. The story, CORPSE MOUNTAIN, is worth the price of the book alone!
Learethus
Learethus rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Stephen Marshall
Stephen Marshall rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2014
Carlton III
Carlton III rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2010
Alan Clark
Nov 01, 2010 Alan Clark rated it really liked it
Disturbing and fun.
Elizabeth Schwartzkopf
Elizabeth Schwartzkopf rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2015
Jon R. Meyers
Jon R. Meyers rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2014
Shane J. Hayes
Shane J. Hayes rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
alexia snyder
alexia snyder rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2015
David Barbee
David Barbee rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
  • THE BROTHERS CRUNK - An 8-Bit Fack-It-All Adventure in 2D
  • The Traveling Dildo Salesman
  • Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy
  • The Egg Said Nothing
Andersen Prunty lives in Ohio. He writes novels and short stories. Visit him at www.andersenprunty.com.
More about Andersen Prunty...