Start by marking “Gung Ho!” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,015 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles, co-authors of the New York Times business bestseller Raving Fans, are back with Gung Ho! Here is an invaluable management tool that outlines foolproof ways to increase productivity by fostering excellent morale in the workplace. It is a must-read for everyone who wants to stay on top in today's ultra-competitive business world.

Raving Fans
Published October 8th 1997 by William Morrow (first published September 23rd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Gung Ho!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gung Ho!

Kristen
My boss had us read this book. I would actually like to buy it; Ken gives good advice on how to motivate people and what motivates them. Even if for your own personal information, it is very enlightening. In the end it is leadership and inspiration, not just management.
Cristián Morales
Some of my notes:

This is a very beautiful theory.

I greatly enjoyed the fable aspect of it.

Gung Ho! is basically a system that turns the behavior found in a highly motivated sub group into an organizational culture. The scenario described is ideal. Everybody drinks the Kool-Aid and the system works, but how could you positively address a pervasive unwillingness of the existing culture to comply? Is it immoral to peer pressure others into motivation? (hah!)

I wish there was a real life case-study
Cathy Allen
One would not expect to find Native American philosophy in a book called Gung Ho! but that is exactly what we have here. Thought-provoking, applicable, much-needed, and timely philosophy, embedded (because it is Blanchard and Bowles) in an easily-read story. This time the tale is less fable and more adapted true story of a real-life newbie CEO who is sent to oversee the closure of a factory owned by a large conglomerate, but instead turns the organization around and saves it.

Key to her success
Doug Warren
This is exactly like every feel good "we are going to work together as a team and build a successful team!" books I have ever read. I think the only difference is it didn't have the word synergy. (At least, thinking back, I don't ever remember seeing that word. There's still a good change it was there.) And the margins and the top and the bottom of the page were ridiculously large. I mean, if you don't have enough content to fill 256 pages, then don't make your book 256 pages! (Seriously, 2 inch ...more
Carl Paukstis
Real, practical advice about managing and motivatoing people. Wrapped in a somewhat schmaltzy fable or fairy-tale pretending to be a documentary of a real-life manager's success story.

I'm a sucker for chick-flicks and inspirational stories. I found this book inspirational. Anybody who cares about managing people in business - no matter what the business - should read this book.

Very quick read. Less than one day. Probably a LOT less.
Corey
It's hard to get past the silly animal analogies and (made up) narrative. It has concepts that are good on their own merit, but they are presented in a very juvenile way.
Kimberly Devault
Great read! Quick and impacting. Easy theories to implement with teams.
Danijel Brestovac
prvič sem jo prebral 11 aprila 2010. Knjiga je polna navdiha in koncepta unboss, ki ga je letos predstavil g. Lars Kolind. Meni se zdi to fascinantna ideja, ki se je izkazala v praksi, saj sem to preizkusil na lastni koži, odličen način vodenja. Če te naučijo in ti potem zaupajo ter te kot sodelavca in člana spoštujejo, pripravljen dati 110% od sebe ter nikoli ne 'moraš' iti v službo, ampak hočeš delati, je čisto drugačen način dela.

Nekaj zanimivih citatov:

Str. 74- (pot Bobra) Nič ni sla
Juan Camilo VT
es interesante...
lo lei para gerencia de sistemas.

My Notes

* el espiritu de la ardilla, el estilo del castor y el don del ganso

[HA] buscar info sobre ensenhanzas de los indios

> "los budistas dicen que el maestro aparece cuando el alumno esta listo" !!!

? Peggy Sinclair @ Walton works #2??
? Andy Longelaw (indio) ???
? Andrew Payton - artist ??

||> El espiritu de la ardilla:
"trabajo que vale la pena"

+ el trabajo debe ser visto como algo importante
+ debe llevar a una meta comprendida y compa
Isabelle
This book was required reading for a business class I took. I thought this book was pretty good. The format and lack of formality was interesting, but did not detract.
The book was written just like a novel/story. I enjoyed learning and progressing right along with the characters, and mentally cheered for their successes. It was relatable and an easy read. Great business concepts as well, revolving completely around helping the people in your organization. Would definitely recommend.
Becky
It's another Kenneth Blanchard business book that offers tips in the form of a story rather than a dense book full of statistics and jargon. This one is definitely more for management than employees, but I appreciate the concept. The message worked better than did "Whale Done," in my opinion, but "Raving Fans" is still my favorite book of his.

I think the book could be just as successful without the religious references.
Ramalingam Ramakrishnan
I have cursed myself on why this book was not made available to me when I became a Manager for the first time! Vision led, aligned teams and a purposeful co-existence of team members told through the behaviors demonstrated by 3 animals. A short-book, told with a compelling story intertwined makes it a fast read!
Krishna Kumar
A very simplistic understanding of how business works. The author uses a story to illustrate the theme of group work and enthusiasm, some concepts of which have their place at the worker and foreman level. But of course, real business management requires more work.
Denise
Gung Ho! provides its readers with a simple process that can be used to improve workers enthusiasm for their work and as a result improve productivity. In order to gung ho your company you must successfully make three simple principles part of your business culture. These principles are the spirit of the squirrel, the way of the beaver and the gift of the goose. The thing that I felt was so powerful about this book was that it is a true story. It is amazing to see how Peggy and Andy are able to ...more
Vikas
An inspiring story about a woman's quest to save the manufacturing plant she has recently been selected to lead (with her male superiors handing her the role hoping she fails). Her friendship with a fellow outcast named Andy allows her to learn the only way she may be able to save the plant and her fellow workers: through the teachings of Andy's Native American values. What happens next is a trandormation centered around leadership, motivation, and respect, as well as an extremely touching frien ...more
Julio Pérez
Excelente. Uno de los libros en temas de negocios que más me ha gustado leer en la primera década del 2000.
Oliver Clarke
It's hard to rate a book like this as the real proof of it is in the doing. Reviewing it purely as a book and not as a guide to management techniques, I'd have to say I liked it. The message is clearly relayed and the story that the authors use to frame it is engaging and well told.
Michael Hicks
Enjoyable and insightful read. Useful for anyone who leads people, in business, church, or school.
José Guridi
muy bueno. inspirador y con enseñanzas no sólo para una organización, sino que para llevar la vida.
Tiffany
Ryan read this first for business, then I read it to apply it to our family. We're so excited to go Gung-Ho!
Elizabeth McNabb
A fun, easy read with a lot of good information.
Deborah Paris
Motivation in the workplace...very inspiring!
Eshwar Andhavarapu
Short - gets the point across, but not the most inspiring. E.g. I get the value of Gung Ho! but doesn't mean like I feel like being Gung Ho!
Ginger
Very easy reading non-fiction (but not dry!) about a new factor manager who discovers she's taken over a factory threatened with closure in less than 6 months. But one person from the only dept. division with great numbers and attitudes, offers the opportunity to turn things around using three principles that get everyone GUNG HO! Most of the story is actual dialog between the characters, straight from the true inspiring story! I hope to incorporate these principles to improve my bodywork busine ...more
Terry
1) Worthwhile worka. knowing we make the world a better placeb. everyone works toward a shared goalc. values guide all plans, decisions, and actions2) In control of achieving the goala. playing field with clearly marked territoryb. thoughts, feelings, needs, and dreams are respected, listened to, and acted uponc. able but challenged3) Cheering each other ona. active or passive, congratulations must be Timely, Responsive, Unconditional, Enthusiasticb. no score, no game, and cheer the progress
R
i started this one in 2009 and was so close to finishing it by the end of the year! my goal was to squeeze out just ooooone more book to have read that year. but alas, i just finished it today (1-7-10).

again, this is one my husband had on his night stand to read for his career enrichment. it's an easy, quick read, and highly motivating! reminds me, especially as a full-time homemaker, that ALL work has purpose and significance no matter the pay.
Tim Northburg
I enjoyed the story of Peggy Sinclair who is tasked to turn around a failing plant. There she meets a man, Andy Longclaw, who runs a team in an obscure corner of the plant that is highly productive. Andy Longclaw shares the secrets of his success with the woman. I enjoyed how Ken Blanchard used animals and their characteristics through the teachings and allows you to apply those traits in your life.
Kristy
Sinclair's experience with GungHo! was eloquently retold in this book. It was quick and easy-to-read and delivered rich information about how to produce very effective work while honoring the human spirit. I believe people of all sorts would benefit from reading this book, but truly those individuals leading others would gain so much by understanding this concept.
Dave
I really enjoyed this book. A very easy read. It reminded me of my time over 20 years ago championing a TQM culture in an Air Force unit. This book really gets at the spirit of that sort of culture, with not a lot in the way of techniques. My challenge now is to adapt such an approach to classrooms of struggling ninth graders. My personality needs more "Goose"!
David
Aug 29, 2008 David rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone in a leadership role
Recommended to David by: Mark May
Shelves: management
A really good little business book - a quick read, done in a neat style. It is written as a story in the manner of "Who Stole my Cheese?" Whether it is a true story is left to the reader to decide for him or her self. I like the business principles and the story makes it flow. Only a time or two did I think it left the story to go to lecturing.
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • Fish! Tales: Real-Life Stories to Help You Transform Your Workplace and Your Life
  • Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • Success Is a Choice: Ten Steps to Overachieving in Business and Life
  • Over the Top
  • The Carrot Principle: How the Best Managers Use Recognition to Engage Their People, Retain Talent, and Accelerate Performance
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • The Greatest Salesman in the World, Part II: The End of the Story
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion
  • Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes
  • Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His Shirt: Do What You Love, Love What You Do, and Deliver More Than You Promise
  • When Generations Collide: Who They Are. Why They Clash. How to Solve the Generational Puzzle at Work
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • What Matters Most: The Power of Living Your Values
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
Ken Blanchard, one of the most influential leadership experts in the world, is the coauthor of the iconic bestseller, The One Minute Manager, and 60 other books whose combined sales total more than 21 million copies. His groundbreaking works have been translated into more than 27 languages and in 2005 he was inducted into Amazon’s Hall of Fame as one of the top 25 bestselling authors of all time.

K
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach to Customer Service Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey