Start by marking “Sweaterweather” as Want to Read:
Sweaterweather

Sweaterweather

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Sweaterweather is about a turtle, a rabbit, and other sweet creatures on a snowy journey. It contains short comics and lots of other delightful things, such as paper dolls, postcards, and stamps. This book will dazzle your senses with its Seuss-ian cast of characters and lush cartoony brushwork.
Paperback, Second Edition
Published by Alternative Comics (first published July 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Sweaterweather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweaterweather

Lilburninbean
Although the illustrations are stylistically similar, this book was nothing like Robot Dreams. It was a series of vignettes about animal characters doing a variety of things including hosting dinner parties, resolving competition and conflict, and finding cute solutions to cute problems that were a little too cute for my tastes. I would definitely classify this as a kid’s book, though I know classifications pertaining to age/reading “levels” can be somewhat arbitrary and traditional. Varon inclu ...more
Siina
Sweaterweather is a cute comic and mostly runs without any words. In a way the comic is diary-like as it contains different short stories that Varon introduces and gives background info on. The comic has mostly animal stories and they are about friendship and caring, which is nice albeit a bit boring at times. This for the reason that there's no conflict and point in most of them. Most of the stories are just happy time. Still, I don't think this is a kids' comic, which brings us to the problem ...more
Abby Brithinee
Sweaterweather is essentially a collection of short stories in graphic novel format. Some of the stories are fictional, some are autobiographical, and others are informational. One of the short stories is an exerpt of the book Robot Dreams, which I really liked. However, I felt like the book was a collection of random cartoons inspired by writing prompts. It felt very disconnected, and while some of the stories were interesting, I had to slog my way through others.

The style is spare line drawing
Sam
Huge thank you to First Second and Netgalley for this ARC!

Reading a Sara Varon graphic novel is like putting on a warm sweater. It's comfortable, familiar, and makes you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. In this new collection of short comics, we see Sara's humble beginnings as a graphic novelist, and how her style has changed from the early years to now.

There's definitely some gems in this collection. We get to see the beginnings of Dog and Robot, cooking adventures with friends, tea time comi
Patrice Sartor
The addition of paper dolls and postcards pushes this one to 3.5 stars for me.

I like Varon's style (Robot Dreams, Bake Sale), though this one was neither as moving or humorous as I found those titles. Also, I have a strong preference for color illustrations, and these are mostly black/white, with a bit of blue (though the paper dolls are color).

Sweaterweather consists of many short stories, often where animals go shopping, and then resolve some soft of problem. Some of the stories have zero word
verygarza
Thank you Netgalley and First Second Books for allowing me to read the digital ARC reissue scheduled to publish in February 2016. Varon's illustrations and stories are cute, charming, and inspiring. This is the perfect book to read when you need a little pick me up and a must read for graphic novel enthusiasts.
Dan
A brief review to come closer to the release date.
Stefanie Kellum
*I read a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.
Allie
I liked this, but I definitely didn't love it. The interactive aspects (especially the postcards) were really appealing, but since I got it from the library I couldn't fully enjoy them. Sweaterweather is my favorite kind of weather, but the book just didn't live up to the fantastic title.
This is a collection of shorter, more experimental comics. Some of them I really liked, and some were just okay. I did think that there were some things in this one that just are not that kid-appropriate. But her illustrations haven't changed, and I just love them!
Aurora
Cute, gets under your radar touching. The stories are very short, which makes it a ridiculously quick read. Definitely it would be more fun to own so you could cut of the paperdolls and postcards.
Amber
A wonderful book. Just goes to show you that you don't need words to get your point across, The Illustrations are wonderful. And a very funny book.
Grace
So funny and creative! I love her use of animals and food. The story with the raccoon protagonist is one of my favorites.
Emilia P
awww.
Sara Varon. Cute, but unique, as always. I wish I could use the stamps and the postcards. Write more, yo.
Nura
It's really sparse of words. suka banget pas bagian gambar yang dikasih warna biru... so creamy...
Jenn
Adorable! And slightly weird, but mostly adorable, plus lots of scarves.
Gwen the Librarian
Quirky adventures of animal friends. For adults.
Mathias
This is just lovely.
Anna
Love love loved it.
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Azza
Azza marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Mel Allen
Mel Allen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Camila Barbosa
Camila Barbosa marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Krista K.
Krista K. marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Johanna Martin
Johanna Martin marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
  • Bayou Vol. 2
  • The Ticking
  • Gray Horses
  • Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • American Splendor Presents: Bob and Harv's Comics
  • Make Me a Woman
  • The War at Ellsmere
  • Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks
  • Our Hero (Babymouse, #2)
Robot Dreams Bake Sale Chicken and Cat Chicken And Cat Clean Up Odd Duck