Start by marking “Sweaterweather” as Want to Read:
Sweaterweather

Sweaterweather

Sweaterweather is about a turtle, a rabbit, and other sweet creatures on a snowy journey. It contains short comics and lots of other delightful things, such as paper dolls, postcards, and stamps. Sweaterweather is being released in June just in time to save those longing for the cold from a long hot Summer!
Published July 14th 2003 by Alternative Comics

To ask other readers questions about Sweaterweather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweaterweather

Lilburninbean
Feb 27, 2008 Lilburninbean rated it did not like it
Although the illustrations are stylistically similar, this book was nothing like Robot Dreams. It was a series of vignettes about animal characters doing a variety of things including hosting dinner parties, resolving competition and conflict, and finding cute solutions to cute problems that were a little too cute for my tastes. I would definitely classify this as a kid’s book, though I know classifications pertaining to age/reading “levels” can be somewhat arbitrary and traditional. Varon inclu ...more
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN 978-1-67672-48-0
Author’s website: http://www.chickenopolis.com/
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

Review

Normally, I’m not predisposed to anthropomorphic comics. It takes certain panache to pull off being a rarity and almost a retro look in the modern comic’s industry; and Sara Varon pulls it off with a touch more flair, with her eccentrically drawn creatures and people. Sweaterweather & Other S
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Why I Recommend Bumping This Down On Your TBR: It's not a cohesive work, just various little pieces showcased in the same book. This didn't work for the kind of reader I am.

Why You Might Bump This Up On Your TBR: If you consider her one of your absolute favorite creators, then I imagine you would get a lot out of this work.
Abby Brithinee
Jul 24, 2015 Abby Brithinee rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sweaterweather is essentially a collection of short stories in graphic novel format. Some of the stories are fictional, some are autobiographical, and others are informational. One of the short stories is an exerpt of the book Robot Dreams, which I really liked. However, I felt like the book was a collection of random cartoons inspired by writing prompts. It felt very disconnected, and while some of the stories were interesting, I had to slog my way through others.

The style is spare line drawing
Patrice Sartor
The addition of paper dolls and postcards pushes this one to 3.5 stars for me.

I like Varon's style (Robot Dreams, Bake Sale), though this one was neither as moving or humorous as I found those titles. Also, I have a strong preference for color illustrations, and these are mostly black/white, with a bit of blue (though the paper dolls are color).

Sweaterweather consists of many short stories, often where animals go shopping, and then resolve some soft of problem. Some of the stories have zero word
Claire
Jan 05, 2016 Claire rated it really liked it
I read Sweaterweather this week while sheltering indoors during the first of the El Nino rainstorms to hit Los Angeles. (In Southern California terms, this amount of weather is equivalent to a level five nor’easter blizzard.) As my sun-soaked, drought-weakened body shivered slightly in a Starbucks where the air conditioning was inexplicably running, I delighted in Varon’s opening story, “Turtle and Rabbit Comic.” An amicable rabbit and turtle, journeying through a snowstorm together, magically t ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 08, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, humour
This book is made up of a series of wordless comics about animals. There is an introduction to each story about the ideas. I am not sure who this book is geared toward. Some of the stories have adult ideas but they are so simplistic. The stories are all happy endings and sweet but I am not sure young children would get them.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Allie
Oct 28, 2011 Allie rated it liked it
I liked this, but I definitely didn't love it. The interactive aspects (especially the postcards) were really appealing, but since I got it from the library I couldn't fully enjoy them. Sweaterweather is my favorite kind of weather, but the book just didn't live up to the fantastic title.
This is a collection of shorter, more experimental comics. Some of them I really liked, and some were just okay. I did think that there were some things in this one that just are not that kid-appropriate. But her illustrations haven't changed, and I just love them!
Kristin
I didn't care for the meta nature of this. I had hoped it would be more of a straightforward collection, though Varon's asides about her life were passingly interesting. More about process than I cared for. Short and pleasant in any case.
Amber
Dec 26, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphics-novels
A wonderful book. Just goes to show you that you don't need words to get your point across, The Illustrations are wonderful. And a very funny book.
Grace
Nov 22, 2007 Grace rated it it was amazing
So funny and creative! I love her use of animals and food. The story with the raccoon protagonist is one of my favorites.
Caitlin
Jul 22, 2013 Caitlin rated it really liked it
3.5 but I will round up because Sara Varon little blurbs about some of her shorter comics are so darn endearing!

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC!
Aurora
Jul 01, 2008 Aurora rated it really liked it
Cute, gets under your radar touching. The stories are very short, which makes it a ridiculously quick read. Definitely it would be more fun to own so you could cut of the paperdolls and postcards.
Emilia P
Jun 04, 2008 Emilia P rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
awww.
Sara Varon. Cute, but unique, as always. I wish I could use the stamps and the postcards. Write more, yo.
Kristen
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
J a E F A I
J a E F A I rated it it was ok
Dec 23, 2008
Monte
Monte rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2009
Ginn Hale
Ginn Hale rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2012
Dawn Rutherford
Dawn Rutherford rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2015
R
R rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2009
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2007
Jessica Rud
Jessica Rud rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Naturetable
Naturetable rated it really liked it
May 21, 2010
Jonathan Mills
Jonathan Mills rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Carole
Carole rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
Abe Underhill
Abe Underhill rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Anna
Mar 11, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing
Love love loved it.
Casey Bernard
Casey Bernard rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Clouds Above
  • The Golem's Mighty Swing
  • Red Eye, Black Eye
  • Gray Horses
  • The Zabime Sisters
  • The Fate of the Artist
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Big Fat Little Lit
  • The 500 Years of Resistance Comic Book
  • Tales of Woodsman Pete
  • Rock Star (Babymouse, #4)
  • The River and the Book
  • American Splendor Presents: Bob and Harv's Comics
  • The Ticking
  • The Salon
  • Escape from "Special"
  • Breaking Up (Fashion High Graphic Novel)