Start by marking “Man vs. Weather: Be Your Own Weatherman” as Want to Read:
Man vs. Weather: Be Your Own Weatherman

Man vs. Weather: Be Your Own Weatherman

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A humorous and practical guide to the history and science of understanding the weather-plus, how to build your own barometer For as long as man has walked upon this earth, he has been forced to survive under the cruel tyranny of weather. Let's face it: there is no escape. Now, in Man vs. Weather, humorist Dennis DiClaudio offers up the knowledge to beat weather at its own ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Penguin Books (first published October 16th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Man vs. Weather, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man vs. Weather

Bill
Dennis DiClaudio is a writer for Comedy Central and related groups. In Man vs. Weather he takes a detailed look at weather phenomena and ends with descriptions of equipment that will let you be a weather forecaster. He sprinkles the information with asides and comments, some of which are funny and others just gratuitous.

The information is mostly accurate, but there are a few gross errors, such as saying the speed of light is 300,000 miles per second (it's really 300,000 kilometers per second, or
Holly Lee (Bellas Novella)
Anyone who knows me personally can tell you that I am a bit of a weather enthusiast. I have been known to sit and watch the weather channel for hours on end. Yes I do realize that that is only acceptable behavior after the age of 80, but what can I say? My name is Holly, and I am a weather addict.

There is no doubt about the power of nature. When faced with some of mother natures biggest calamities you can forget trying to save yourself, and just kiss your butt goodbye. I find it all to be wildly
Jen
DiClaudio presents a humorous but informative look at Weather (yes, capital W). Learn about rare phenomena such as red sprites and more common phenomena such as "elite ninja assassins" (tornadoes for the uneducated). DiCladio's excellent sense of humor had me laughing out loud throughout the book! I feel like I could at least be a junior member of the American Meteorological Society after reading this book.
Stephanie
I loved this humorous look at dissecting the weather. Argon is the most boring of gases and does nothing - "much like the British nobility?" Awesome. The troposphere is where "all the shit happens"? Great! This is how I need to learn about weather. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys learning about weather in terms that are easy to understand, although it is a tricky subject.
Bradley Pattrick
Hilarious in the intro. Informative in the body.
An amusing look at the basic principles of weather. I particularly appreciate the concept of clouds as terroist cells. The humor was a little forced at times, though - sometimes restraint is the best option. I briefly understood the reasons why storms form, however, so I guess it did its job.
Jeremiah Jones-goldstein
This was fantastic. I love it from the introduction to the afterword. I thought it was a great book on the science of weather and it was FREAKING HILARIOUS!

Dennis Diclaudio's humor is right up my alley. I laughed so much I ended up reading a quarter of the book out to my wife.
Steve
I find meteorolgy wildly boring - but his book made it wildly fascinating...atleast for half of the book. I don't know if he got rushed for the second half - but his wittiness kind of dies mid-way through.
Beverly
A very wild sense of humor makes it interesting at first, but gets tiring after awhile. I learned a lot about weather, mainly that it's an extremely complicated topic.
David R.
The often-sophomoric humor constantly gets in the way of what could have been an otherwise useful discussion on the mechanics of weather.
Micah Kunze
Very very funny, but sometimes a little over simplistic and weird. Still a great read.
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Feb 16, 2015
Neil
Neil added it
Jan 03, 2015
Jeremy Nelson
Jeremy Nelson is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Tin
Tin marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Rigel May Ǘ
Rigel May Ǘ marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Matthew
Matthew is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Imbri
Imbri marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Jason Manford
Jason Manford marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Nick Humphries
Nick Humphries is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2014
Ritesh Gajjar
Ritesh Gajjar marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2013
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious Hastalık Hastası BULLFIGHT Volume One