Start by marking “The Autumn Palace (Ondine, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Autumn Palace (Ondine, #2)

The Autumn Palace (Ondine #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  77 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
One boy, one girl, one plot to be foiled! Hamish the gorgeous man (and part time ferret) has a new job with the Duke as a spy in his Autumn Palace. So Ondine goes with him. She imagines a hugely romantic escapade together that involves lots of kissing. What she hadn't imagined was having to do endless laundry, go to school and keep Hamish the man a secret. All the while tr ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Egmont Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about The Autumn Palace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Autumn Palace

Angelc
Feb 07, 2011 Angelc rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I absolutely loved the first book in this series - "Ondine: The Summer of Shambles." The mix of fantasy, sweet romance, and an adorable talking ferret had me head over heels in love. "The Autumn Palace" did not disappoint, and I was left with that warm fuzzy feeling all over again.

This time around, Shambles the ferret and his super cute human self, Hamish, along with Ondine and her Aunt Col, travel to the Duke's Autumn Palace. The Duke has enlisted Col and Shambles to utilize his ferret
Becky
Apr 28, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
Ondine: The Autumn Palace is the second book in the fairytale adventures of Ondine and the love of her life – Hamish. The story is just as humorous and endearing as The Summer of Shambles and is even more evocative of the romantic fairytale setting.

The story begins with Ondine and Hamish ready to take a train journey to visit the Duke. Hamish is ready to take on his role as a royal spy and Ondine is ready to agree to anything the Duke asks of her if it means she gets to stay with her beloved. Th
Liz
Jun 05, 2012 Liz rated it really liked it
The Autumn Palace was a fabulous sequel to The Summer of Shambles – in fact, I think I liked it even more! Ondine had gone with Shambles/Hamish to work for the Duke, but things did not turn out the way she wanted at all. Instead of spending lots of time with her boyfriend, she was made to do laundry, attend lessons at school and help the very odd Infanta, while Shambles was off trying to find out who wanted to kill the Duke!

The narrative in Ondine was just amazing. So funny, sometimes even a lit
Lexie
Oct 18, 2010 Lexie rated it really liked it
Prelim review: Much like its predecessor THE SUMMER PALACE is filled with humor, misadventures and romance. I admit I enjoyed the first book a little more, if only because in this one it was heart-breaking to see Ondine go through so much trouble and have so much heartbreak over Hamish.

Fulll review:
Much like its predecessor The Summer Palace is filled with humor, misadventures and romance.  I admit I enjoyed the first book a little more, if only because in this one it was heart-breaking to see O
Yin Chien 인첸
Aug 09, 2011 Yin Chien 인첸 rated it liked it
The Autumn Palace is also known as the 'Palechia' in Brugelish. If you're not informed about this, Brugel, the place where Ondine lives in, is a fictitious country ruled by a Duke. In this book, Ondine's boyfriend Hamish/Shambles was recruited by the Duke to act as a spy in the palace to see if anyone has ill intentions towards the Duke. Unable to stay apart from him even for a day, Ondine decided to follow him to the Palace and got herself a job as a laundress.

Basically, this book doesn't have
Emmie Dark
Feb 17, 2011 Emmie Dark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Loved the latest outing of Ondine and Hamish! Dastardly and mysterious deeds are happening all over the place at the mystical Autumn Palace and there are so many potential culprits! The foreign laundress, the seemingly clairvoyant butler, the dramatic infanta and the drunken duchess are all at play and it's up to Ondine and Hamish to work out what's going on.

In amongst all this, Ondine and Hamish still need to find time for their relationship and each other, which becomes increasingly difficult
Alison Stuart
Feb 27, 2014 Alison Stuart rated it really liked it
Shelves: rwaus-writers
This is the second book in the Ondine series, set in the fictional country of Brugel. Ondine, Hamish and Old Col find themselves on a secret mission to discover who is trying to kill the Duke. Along the way they encounter a miscellany of potential (and real villains) before the truth is revealed.

Once again this book just fizzes along with wayward magic, the dilemmas of failing at Maths (Ondine has my sympathy), a sexy boyfriend who changes into a ferret at all the wrong moments and a cast of fab
Linda
Ondi and Hamish are up to their proverbial again in high drama - because there's always someone trying to knock off the Duke - and they're there to save the day! Again. But with more washing.

I love the characters, and just like the first book, once I'd started on the train to the palace I was along for the ride. Hardly put the book down and couldn't help but read some of Hamish out loud - because well, Scottish is like that.
Heidi Kneale
Mar 15, 2014 Heidi Kneale rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, contemporary, fantasy
Ah, teenage love! Ondine follows Hamish (against the reluctance of her parents) to the Duke's palace and there finds intrigue.

The story is solid, the voice and style light and fun to read. I like how the plot (and the intrigue in the palace) has a lovely, deep twist regarding the Duke's illness.
Lindsey
DNF
I just couldn't get into this book, I read Ondine a few years ago and enjoyed it quite a lot, so I don't know whether its because I'm just growing to old for the series or whether I just didn't like this book in particular I don't know, but I was a bit disappointed.
Alethea A
Mar 23, 2011 Alethea A rated it really liked it
such good fun. in my head, all of Hamish's lines are read by David Tennant.
Krystal
Oct 23, 2012 Krystal rated it it was amazing

Really fantastic book. Love the series. Wish it continued.
Leanne Bell
Ebony Mckenna has done it again with this beautifully written sequel about a ferret, a not so psychic girl called Ondine and a love so true you will happily swap places with Ondine for the day.
Of course, there is a lot more to the story than that but I like to match my reviews to the tone of the book, and since The Autumn Palace is very funny at times, that is how my review is going to be.

The Autumn palace takes place pretty soon after the end of the first book. Hamish is still very very handsom
Celine
Jan 17, 2012 Celine rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
Double review of both books originally posted in: http://forget8me8not.blogspot.com.au/...

Covers:
Wow, both covers are so pretty! I love the girl in the cover and also the patterns surrounding the cover. The colours are also really beautiful and suitable such as the purple and pink colours to give a gorgeous effect! So adorable. Both cover gives off this fantasy feeling that makes me really want to read it since I first saw the cover!

Story:

Ondine's life is about to be changed...by a ferret.

Wow, b
Larissa
Apr 05, 2011 Larissa rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Ondine and Hamish have had the whole summer to find each other and fall in love. Now autumn has arrived and Hamish is called away to begin his employment with the Duke as Shambles, his ferret alter ego, to perform duties as a spy. Ondine, although forbidden by her parents to leave home, has decided to follow her heart and Hamish to the Dukes palace the Autumn Palechia. Ondine's parents will not be happy about this at all. However the greater problem will be, if after travelling all the way to th ...more
Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell
First of all , i want to thank Ebony McKenna for writing another amazing book!

From the first book, Hamish got given a job to spy for the Duke, and Ondine doesn't like it, so she goes with him to the Dukes palace, and starts a job and goes to school.

Ondine thinks Hamish is spending to much time working then being with her, and Hamish is actually enjoying working for the duke.

They have to find out who is trying to kill the duke, and its hard because there is 3 suspects, The Duchess, The Dukes sist
Michelle Fayard
Jul 26, 2011 Michelle Fayard rated it really liked it
With warm wit and believable imagination, Ebony McKenna follows through with her sequel, Ondine: The Autumn Palace.

Ondine and her aunt accompany Hamish, Ondine's sometimes-ferret sometimes-human boyfriend, to the duke's palace where they must discover who wants to assassinate him--and do away with them. Ondine is forced to work first as a laundress (her experience in her parents' pub have made her an expert at removing food and wine stains) then as a female butler to the duke's sister, the Infan
Nina
Jul 18, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it
After reading and falling in love with Ondine, The Summer of Shambles, I had big expectations for Ondine, The Autumn Palace. And with a smile on my face I can honestly say that it exceeded all of them.

All of the main characters are still likable and entertaining. I especially liked aunt Col and wished there was more of her in the story. She was pretty hilarious when she used her wicked powers. I hope that she gets a bigger role in the third book. The only complain I have is that Ondine was a bi
Hweeps
Nov 26, 2011 Hweeps rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, series
2.5 stars T_T
This was a somewhat miserable read for me... Wasn't engaging, and although certainly funny at some points, it lacked a certain something that made me want to keep on reading. The only reason (or reasonS) I ploughed on was because

1. I hate to leave a book uncompleted.
2. I had a good impression of the first Ondine book.

I kept hoping it'd be better toward the end, but nooo..

It was interesting because of the 'mystery', I suppose, but it was also pretty meh too. Oh well! At least I
Ellen
Dec 16, 2011 Ellen rated it it was ok
Didn't like this one nearly as much as the first. The reference notes that were cute and humorous the first time around, were irritating and not as funny the second time around.

There were a couple references that annoyed, mostly things that mocked Australia. This annoyed me because, it would exclude non-Australians and most likely insult the actual Australians who read the book. It was confusing, especially since the author is Australian.

If there's a third, I won't read it.
Centrumlumina
A whimsical book with interesting characters and a strong narrative voice. However, it would have been much more enjoyable if the main character, who is otherwise quite intelligent, didn't lose her wits whenever she's with her boyfriend. Realistic perhaps, but incredibly irritating, especially since it takes up about a third of the book.
Amal Rawiah
Oct 22, 2010 Amal Rawiah marked it as to-read
i can't find this book in any bookstores. hope you sell this book in scholastic catalog. i've read ondine #1.. i like it very much <3 i want to know what's next about when hamish work with the duke :/ will hamish does not care on ondine lately because he like the job that the duke gave?
Julia
Aug 26, 2011 Julia rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-ya
The story stayed in my head for days after I read it. With such sweet characters and a fabulous romance I couldn't tear myself away. I loved this sequel as much as I loved the first, which was a lot, and I can't wait to hear more from the world of Ondine and Hamish.
Kimberly
Jun 12, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
a great, colorful sequel to the first Ondine book.
An array of awesome characters live at the palace...and one of them is trying to kill the Duke!
Cat
The Ondine books are such enjoyable reads! I can't wait for more!
Zoe
3.5 stars, not as good as the first book. Felt rushed and overly childish.
Deborah
Deborah rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2011
Laura Power
Laura Power rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
marruman mc mahon
marruman mc mahon rated it liked it
May 01, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Ondine book 2 - The Autumn Palace 3 14 Jun 05, 2012 09:55AM
  • Blackwatch (Wintercraft, #2)
  • If I Could Fly
  • I Loved You First
  • A Gypsy Song (The Eye of the Crystal Ball - The Wolfboy Chronicles)
  • Loving a Prince Charming (Fairy Tales & Ever Afters, #3)
  • Mirror Sword and Shadow Prince (Tales of the Magatama, #2)
  • Embittered (King Arthur and Her Knights, #3)
  • Zombie Dawn (Changeling, #5)
  • Unforsaken (Banished, #2)
  • Not So Snow White
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
  • Rise of Memphis - January Chronicles (Rebel and a Saint Book 1)
  • The Advice Girl (Dalara, #1)
  • Smuggler's Kiss
  • Guess What?
  • Unsuitable
  • Matilda's Freedom
  • Beyond the Grave (Past Midnight, #3)

Ondine (4 books)
  • The Summer of Shambles (Ondine #1)
  • The Winter of Magic (Ondine #3)
  • The Spring Revolution (Ondine, #4)