Start by marking “Dismantling America: And Other Controversial Essays” as Want to Read:
Dismantling America: And Other Controversial Essays

Dismantling America: And Other Controversial Essays

A broad-based and withering critique of AmericaOCOs current trajectory.
"
Published May 14th 2014 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published August 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dismantling America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dismantling America

Tom
Oct 20, 2010 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Reading Sowell is like watching a man smash the idols of progressive thought with a sledge hammer. Sowell gives no quarter while disclosing the negative effects of political correctness, moral relativism, and the thoughtless interference of congressman in our economy.

Chris Dodd and Barney Frank may have escaped judgement from their peers and the press. But Sowell pins the responsibility where it belongs!
Steve Sawyer
Oct 03, 2010 Steve Sawyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book which exposes the hidden agenda of the progressives in both political parties. This book is a great read and easy to understand. However, if you read "Economics in One Lesson" first, then read this book, you will better understand the deeper implications of what this book exposes...
wally
Oct 07, 2011 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sowell
i've been reading thomas sowell here and there for...i dunno...8-10 years? plain english w/an eye to understanding, to relaying information. sowell, i believe, is an educator as well as an economist.
read him and you want to pull out your hair because eventually it begins to dawn on you that yes, what you have long-suspected is true...we are being played for fools.

and we are allowing it to happen...we have allowed our servants to become our masters.

speak for yourself did you say?

yesterday, the pr
lcfcjs
Aug 08, 2012 lcfcjs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible rambles from a mad man. He actually believes that the American Republicans, despite their complete failures of the past decade, are the way forward. Right wing nut, who is almost as bad as Rush himself. Steer clear of this book and this author.
Patrick
Mar 10, 2012 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patrick by: Dan Farley
Shelves: usa-right-wing
Bullshit on stilts.
Johnrh
May 12, 2011 Johnrh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished reading Dismantling America by Thomas Sowell. Published last year it is a collection of his columns on very recent current events. It is reasoned commentary, opinion, and common sense.

The format suits my attention deficits well. Each column/chapter is about 3 pages long, all the way through the book. It is easy to absorb a few chapters at a time and put the book down. There are a hundred or so chapters grouped into the topics of Government Policies, Political Issues, Economic Issues,
ChunniSeth
Feb 20, 2011 ChunniSeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: policy
What a colossal waste of time. I picked up Sowell expecting an erudite Libertarian scholar, but he's in the same category as Bill Maher on the left and Beck on the right. Key styles in the book: Highfalutin moral grandstanding, lack of intellectual depth, simplification of issues to the extent that it becomes moronic to even argue, choosing whatever statistics suit your blend of ideology, and above all, painting everyone on the other side as not just wrong but on a crusade to dismantle America a ...more
Kevin Heldt
Jun 02, 2011 Kevin Heldt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. If only everyone had the ability to think this clearly on these important political and economic issues.
Sandy
Feb 23, 2011 Sandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Drivel and nonsense. Fox 5 News driven prouncements bordering on racism.
Aseem Juneja
Feb 25, 2017 Aseem Juneja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sowell has picked some serious topics and has some extreme viewpoints..However, I found his take on those topics interesting and sometimes funny.
Vincent
Feb 21, 2017 Vincent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book, written by a very smart man.
Rohan
I have loved Sowell's writing from the moment I finished reading his book "Applied Economics". His Books and Articles generally make me question and ponder over things which you would think are very obvious and true on their face. This book is also similar and it didn't disappoint me.

Although at points I felt this was same old Rhetoric about various Foreign affairs and Security policies of Obama's administration but time and again at various points in the essays he did bring up many useful poin
Jeff
Apr 12, 2011 Jeff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two stars - literally, "It was OK". Which is not to say this is a bad book, or that it doesn't contain good commentary. The problem with this book is that it's solely a collection of 3-page newspaper opinion columns. While reading Thomas Sowell once a week in the newspaper is enjoyable, reading 100 columns back-to-back in a continuous stream is less so. Compiled into a single volume, the columns become fairly repetitive (a few common themes show up over and over). Also, the columns are almost re ...more
Kenny
Jul 05, 2011 Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-events
A compendium of newspaper columns by the inimitable Thomas Sowell, who is not only a brilliant economist (his Basic Economics should be required reading for every politician in America) but he's also allowed to state hard truths because he's black.

Thus is the state of race relations in America, thirty years after Eddie Murphy said "nigger" a hundred times in his HBO special; now, you don't even dare use the word. (I do, but I'm allowed; I'm a writer and all words are fair game for professionals.
David Crain
So many good thoughts, so little time.

Written by a stalwart defender of personal liberties, these essays point out the flaws of "progressive" ideologies and programs. Many, if not all, of these programs have been established within the author's living memory. He remembers what it was like before government was ubiquitous, and encourages us to consider taking the hard path back to those days. Will it happen? I don't know...but his arguments for it are convincing. This book at once eloquently defe
Julie
Dec 07, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sowell lays it all bare, as usual. If you don't want to admit the government has overstepped its bounds in SO many ways, feel free to keep the wool over your eyes, as the Obama administration does so well. Sowell talks about this administration as the pinnacle of the underhand, socialist dealings going on in this country and it's true. Our rights are about to be taken, right and left, for the "good" of everyone. It's true, it's all dismantling America, bit by bit and creating a country that's do ...more
Ray
Oct 06, 2010 Ray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Conservative radio talk-show listeners
I stuck it out, and finished it, but couldn't wait for it to end. Sowell is the foremost Obama critic, and ties every evil of today or the past to Obama, the left, or liberals. The only problem is that it seems to have been one of the many books published around the time of the last presidential election, apparently with the hope of influencing voters to voate against Obama. Now that the election is over, the point of the book is somewhat diminished. Updates can be heard on the Beck, Limbaugh, H ...more
Joseph D. Walch
Sep 10, 2010 Joseph D. Walch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of essays from the inimitable Thomas Sowell's last year of writing. The themes range from Iran's nuclear ambitions and the Duke Lacross rape case to the Civil War and President Coolidge. As an economist, Sowell brings his wisdom to bear on the current events, especially as the foremost black critic of Pres. Obama. It contains phrases, stories and ideas that are somewhat redundant since they are a collection of essays. It is very good, though, and I enjoyed the nuggets of wis ...more
Gavin
Jun 14, 2011 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Scott Lind
Excellent book of Sowell's essays. It shows how all politicians are moving to the left—quickly under democrats, slowly under republicans—and how our culture, politics, law, and education are increasingly becoming more insulated from feedback from reality. It gives a very pessimistic picture of where we are going. It nevertheless is clearly written and it is unfortunately an accurate picture of the poor state our country is in due to the bad ideas of the left. The only consolation we have is that ...more
Tee
Oct 27, 2010 Tee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really awesome book! In addition to Mr. Sowell's easy to read style, he gets straight to the point of the subject and uses impeccable logic to back up his statements. Subjects range from "Gay 'Marriage'" to "Adolescent Intellectuals" to "Racism." A must read for conservatives, liberals, and progressives alike.

Also:
You can't call a black man racist, can you? XD

Read the "Random Thoughts" section in the back of the book. It's quite cute.
Amy
Oct 21, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED. Love, love, love.
Thomas Sowell writes pure, common sense. And I love it. You could call him a genius but I think he would dislike that. Because what he is writing isn't that complicated....at least when he writes it.
I was encouraged by his common sense and practical, even pessimistic, approach to life. What he has to say is good, if pretty politically biased, and I personally enjoyed it immensely.
Paul
Nov 17, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eval_for_5_stars
2010.1117-2010.1118
While this book was a large aggregation of Sowell's new articles, and I have read most of them elsewhere, the collection is a must read. sowell is insightful and fun to read. He reminds us that we need to pars out rhetoric and be careful with blindly excepting 'facts' we are feed.
eden
Apr 29, 2014 eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
3.5

The essays can get redundant, particularly in the first two sections. Also, there are no dates, which is kind of strange and not helpful when you're trying to figure out the context of certain essays. But it's Sowell -- he's great and perceptive, and his style is so simple and plain-spoken that it's easy to undervalue his insights.

Faye Oney
Feb 17, 2016 Faye Oney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of essays by syndicated columnist and author Thomas Sowell. Sowell offers his thoughts on various topics, and backs them up with actual facts and statistics; unlike politicians who use rhetoric to sway people's opinions. Mr. Sowell is a brilliant economist, and if he ran for president, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.
Anna
Feb 26, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A black man who dared to leave the plantation, use his brain and think for himself. He tells it like it is, straight up. My only complaint is he doesn't go far enough. He talks about how increasing the money supply creates inflation, but fails to address the fundamental issue, the Federal Reserve! He doesn't mind skewering other sacred cows, he needs to have a go with the Fed.
John Martindale
Nov 12, 2014 John Martindale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics, audiobook
This book was torture, I could only handle small doses at a time. It was agonizing and infuriating to see the unfathomable depths our culture has progressively sunk into destructive delusions and sheer stupidity, it sometimes made me want to cry. Sowell truly is brilliant, Oh that he could have been America's first African American president.
Void lon iXaarii
Though Sowell is always brilliant this is probably his book that impressed me the least, not because it was badly written or had bad research, on the contrary, but because it's more a pieced together collection of articles and at times you can feel the (implicit) repetition of ideas.
Jeanne Jacobson
Excellent thought-provoking, sound and foreboding...for America. Sowell discusses all of the societal factors and cultural problems of our technological age and gives very good reasons why this country is breaking down even now as we seem to be more powerful than ever!
Page
Apr 27, 2011 Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Sowell should be required reading of every American. It's a shame young black kids remain unaware of such a brilliant mind and scholar. I think this is done on purpose to keep segments of our population thinking only one way.
Kirt
Mar 19, 2012 Kirt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lucid. Wise. Moral. This man has a brilliant, educated mind, yet his talent for expressing common sense would make it seem an insult to call him an "intellectual."
  • The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party
  • New Deal or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America
  • Rollback: Repealing Big Government Before the Coming Fiscal Collapse
  • Slouching Towards Gomorrah: Modern Liberalism and American Decline
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • Bullies
  • Why Government Is the Problem
  • The Shadow University: The Betrayal Of Liberty On America's Campuses
  • What's So Great About America
  • Comeback America: Turning the Country Around and Restoring Fiscal Responsibility
  • We Still Hold These Truths: Rediscovering Our Principles, Reclaiming Our Future
  • Crisis and Command: A History of Executive Power from George Washington to George W. Bush
  • A Nation of Takers: America’s Entitlement Epidemic
  • The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution
  • The Battle: How the Fight between Free Enterprise and Big Government Will Shape America's Future
  • After America: Get Ready for Armageddon
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Presidents: From Wilson to Obama (Politically Incorrect Guides (Paperback))
  • Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class, and Justice in the Origins of America
2056
Thomas Sowell is an American economist, social commentator, and author of dozens of books. He often writes from an economically laissez-faire perspective. He is currently a senior fellow of the Hoover Institution at Stanford University. In 1990, he won the Francis Boyer Award, presented by the American Enterprise Institute. In 2002 he was awarded the National Humanities Medal for prolific scholars ...more
More about Thomas Sowell...

“Ronald Reagan had a vision of America. Barack Obama has a vision of Barack Obama.” 9 likes
“People are all born ignorant but they are not born stupid. Much of the stupidity we see today is induced by our educational system, from the elementary schools to the universities. In a high-tech age that has seen the creation of artificial intelligence by computers, we are also seeing the creation of artificial stupidity by people who call themselves educators.” 8 likes