The Variant Effect

The Variant Effect

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The old furrier building in a rundown part of Metro was the perfect place to find a body, and Joe Borland knew they wouldn't have dragged him out of retirement to see it if something hadn't eaten its skin.

It's been twenty years since Borland battled the Variant Effect, and twenty since he let his partner get skinned alive.

Now both of them are ordered back into action to me...more
Published June 14th 2010 by Smashwords Edition

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
444th out of 1,118 books — 3,409 voters
Apocalypse by Rashad FreemanWorld War Z by Max BrooksRot and Ruin by Jonathan MaberryFeed by Mira GrantTaking on the Dead by Annie Walls
Amazing Zombie Books
178th out of 212 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

If you can get buy the bad ebook formatting and every 2 pages a reference to the main character's hernias, then you will like this book. The story is plausible and enjoyable. It's action moves you and gets your pulse racing. You want the hero's to survived and succeed in their mission.

However, if you are like me and like things to look like a book and not a run on sentence then the formatting will drive you crazy. The constant referrals to the main character's hernias become like nails on a cha...more
Tasha
I really liked this book. Based on the reviews, and the fact that it was being offered for free, I was honestly a little worried. It starts out kind of slow and mentions the main characters hernias more often than probably necessary. I actually almost put it down but stuck through it and I'm really glad I did.

The villains of the book (biters/skin eaters) are a nice change of pace. They embody elements of monsters we already know and love (like zombies) while still being unique to the author's un...more
Olethros
-Sssssssskin! Skin!.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Joe Borland es un capitán retirado de las escuadras Variant, que para abusar del alcohol, sufrir de sobrepeso y estar lleno de achaques (a destacar, sus hernias) se conserva bastante bien y es reclamado de vuelta a su trabajo un par de décadas después de su jubilación cuando los incidentes Variant comienzan de nuevo. En el escenario de un crimen se encuentra con el también retirado capitán Eric Hyde que perdió la mayoría de su piel...more
Falanor
So a while ago I picked up a book on my Kindle called The Variant Effect by G. Wells Taylor. It was, from its excerpt, an interesting twist on the Zombie genre and being a sucker for a yarn on the idea of the Hungry Undead, and that it was a freebe, I picked it up to read. Some free books on Amazon are quiet good, actually. A large portion of them are free to stir up new readership for a series and others are to get a new author a quick and decent sized readership.

With Taylor’s spin, we have a n...more
Gunnhildur Rúnarsdóttir
I like this book. I found the story interesting.

A drug that is supposed to cure everything from mild anxiety to Schizophrenia but ends up turning people into monsters.

I know some people thought that the mention of Borlands hernia was a bit to much but it did not bother me. Borland is supposed to be the grumpy old squad leader that has nothing left but his hernias and booze.

I liked Hyde and how he found an escape from feeling sorry for himself in online gaming where he got respect and not the us...more
Ken Doggett
Dec 28, 2013 Ken Doggett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who love to read about dystopian societies, the more gruesome the better.
I didn't finish the book, because it's too gruesome for me (and I find books about dystopian societies depressing), but I gave it 4 stars because the writing is good, although the formatting isn't. No table of contents, and needs better chapter separation, although that wouldn't have mattered so much if I had liked the book. The characters, however, are well portrayed, but not too likeable as far as I read. I didn't mind the constant mention of one character's hernias, but with each mention of i...more
Allan J. Ashinoff
Unique concept. But for me, too much friction between the primary characters. Every person was so tainted/damaged that I couldn't grow to care what happened to any of them.
Jessica
This is one of the most original stories I've read in a long time. This takes the very real disorders of dermatophagia and dermatillomania to a whole new horrific level for the reader. Make no mistake: those conditions exist now in our time. Just imagine if a drug like Varion (and it's unintended consequences on those very real conditions) did exist? That would make for one very scary world to live in. I'm interested to read the next insallment in the series and I recommend this book to anyone l...more
Mark Gunnell
Thought the concept was good, but I just couldn't get into the book and how the author chose to present it.
Jill
Interesting and original story. Sort of gruesome in places. I liked the new world, with everyone's vices/mental issues becoming amplified by what is basically prosac. That was an interesting twist. The world was well thought through, the writing wasn't bad. It was hard to decide if I liked the protagonist who is deeply flawed. (Please get his hernias fixed they were becoming distracting!).
Dimka
I'll admit that it took me a few chapters to read me engaged but after that, I was hooked. The world after the effect seems very plausible in our pill popping world. The action's a bit slow in coming but when it comes, it comes with a lot of excitment. Some predictable twists & turns with the "good guys" but a lot of scary moments in between. A fun read!!
Stephine Yoshikawa
Dark & Glorious. And makes you want to refuse every medication prescribed to you for the rest of your life. I, not so secretly, have a slight crush on Mr. Wells, and have read all of his works. If you pass this up, at least do yourself a favor and dive into When Graveyards Yawn; the entire Apocalypse Trilogy is AMAZING!!
Robert
I normally don't start a review by simply stating how much I loved the book or the characters in it - BUT I LOVED THIS BOOK AND THE CHARACTERS IN IT! Joe Boreland is my kind of Mike Hammer and he had my heart from the first mention of his hernias. Have a drink on me Joe. See you again when I can.
Richard Valle
Strangely fascinating book. The writing isn't great and there are some of the logic seems forced to get the setting the way the author wants it. This is really a variation on a zombie story, but the variation is a good one and it was compelling to read to see what happens.
Pammy A
This book was pretty good, although I actually didn't finish it. I had a hard time keeping my head into it but I think that is mainly because I was distracted by too many other good books I wanted to read! Finally just gave it up.
Danielle
Apr 09, 2012 Danielle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of sci-fi / military
This was surprisingly enjoyable. At the beginning I worried that it may be confusing, as there were lots of world basics that weren't explained, but the author wove them into the story quite well!
Shelly
Very interesting concept, far too many hernia references. Seriously, I get it - his hernias bothered him. A lot. Take out 90% of said references and I'll up the rating to 3.5 stars.
Cindy
I'm kind of stuck in the middle of this book right now, I needed a change of pace and it didn't hold my attention. I do plan on finishing it. Just don't know when...
Katherine Tomlinson
The Skin-eaters are back and the city must call upon two men who hate each other to save them from the Variant Effect. Old-school horror done extremely well.
Tentiger
Really enjoyed this book. Quick read. I couldn't wait to read the next one in the series.
Allison Sowell
A truly disgusting story. Really only so-so. I didn't particularly like any of the characters.
Vincent
Awesome. I really liked the Characters and the story was interesting too!
Randall
Horrifically unreadable insult to the written word.
Pam
I Liked it. Couldnt stop reading it till I read it all.
Betsy Content
good zombie thriller, but too violent for my taste.
Abigail Noonan
Oh, this was interesting
Bruce
Very good.
Redwan amazigh
Redwan amazigh marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Secret Apocalypse (Secret Apocalypse, #1)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Outbreak (The Zombie Chronicles, #1)
  • LZR-1143 Within
  • Affliction Z: Patient Zero
  • Hive (No Man's Land #1)
  • State of Decay: Part One
  • Fortress Britain (Arisen, #1)
  • Kellie's Diary #1
  • The Walking Dead: Just Another Day at the Office
  • Zombie Day Care (Impact, #1)
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Gehenna (West of Hell #1)
  • After: First Light (After, #0.5)
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
G. Wells Taylor is busy promoting his new book Mother's Boy and preparing the horror/adventure novel Dracula of the Apes for release.

Taylor lives in Canada. He lists Raymond Chandler, Stephen King, Vladimir Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, J. R. R. Tolkien and Jack L. Chalker among his inspirations.

He would like to thank his readers in advance.
More about G. Wells Taylor...
When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1) The Variant Effect: GreenMourning Menagerie The Forsaken (Apocalypse Trilogy #2) Hijacked (Wildclown)

“Borland never watched much broadband anyway. Getting drunk and arguing with a blue screen made as much sense as yelling at the news. But hooking it up in the first place seemed like something that a normal person with responsibilities would do.” 2 likes
“Sophistry!” 0 likes