Start by marking “The Hidden Assassins (Javier Falcon, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden Assassins (Javier Falcon, #3)

The Hidden Assassins (Javier Falcon #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  581 ratings  ·  44 reviews
As Inspector Jefe Javier Falc--n investigates the case of a faceless, mutilated corpse, the beautiful city of Seville is rocked by a massive explosion. The discovery of a mosque in the basement of a devastated apartment building confirms everybody's fears of terrorism. Panic sweeps the city and the region goes on red alert. As more bodies are dragged from the rubble, the m ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Mariner Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden Assassins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden Assassins

Lea
A simple murder…an explosion…terrorism

A core review easily writes itself when the heart and style of the author is familiar to the reviewer. Take into account the reviewer never having read any previous books in the series, then the story should stand on its own. The Hidden Assassins does this and more.

Meet Inspector Javier Falcon, the chief homicide detective. Add the sensitive subject of terrorism, bombs and religious factions and you have a forward motion of tension and suspense. Granted the
Gary  the Bookworm
I've read other thrillers by Wilson but this is my first foray into the world of Javier Falcon, a police inspector in the Spanish city of Seville. A murder investigation uncovers a terrorist plot and we are thrust into the world of John LeCarre, albeit it with a Spanish accent. I found the whole thing confusing, but I always have trouble keeping track of characters with foreign names. Falcon didn't seem to be a particularly compelling hero and I became bored by the details of what he ate and dra ...more
Dokusha
Gleich mit zwei schwierigen Ermittlungen muß sich Chefinspektor Falcón herumschlagen: auf einer Müllkippe wird eine unkenntlich gemachte Leiche entdeckt, und einen Tag später explodiert ein Wohnblock in einem armen Viertel der Stadt. Schnell stellt sich heraus, daß die Explosion nur durch Sprengstoff verursacht worden sein kann. Und auch die Leiche vom Vortag hängt damit zusammen.
Aufgrund der Explosion finden sich auch bald die Vertreter der Geheimdienste ein und bestimmen die Stoßrichtung der E
Kay Rollison
Some time ago I read and enjoyed Wilson’s A Small Death in Lisbon (1999), which combines a present day investigation by Inspector Zé Coelho into the death of a young woman, and art theft by the Nazis in World War II. I thought the writing good and the plot clever. With The Hidden Assassins (2006), I expected another Coelho story. Wrong. Not even the same country. This book features Inspector Javier Falcón, is set in Seville, and is the third of a quartet of novels, all of which deal with differe ...more
James
Inspector Jefe Javier Falcón's personal devils we learned of in "The Blind Man of Seville" continue to haunt him in this international mystery. A faceless corpse, a devastating explosion and the future of Andalusia. Can they be connected? I r eally like Javier. Tenacious and resilient. An enjoyable read.
Cliff
This book seems to have had mixed reviews. I found it stunning. It was good to have a police procedural set other than in the UK, USA, Italy or somewhere in Scandinavia. The story of bombing and terrorism is very well told. I particularly liked the lengthy interrogations and the long discussion between Javier and his Moroccan friend, the latter on the nature of terrorism and the Arab mindset in respect thereto, something that the author appears to know a considerable amount about. The twist in t ...more
Sandra Danby
The pace of this thriller does not stop. The setting: Seville, Spain. The beginning: a mutilated corpse is found on a rubbish dump. The first turning point: an explosion at a block of flats turns out to be a terrorism attack on the mosque in the basement. Or is it? Detective Javier Falcón is swept along by the media circus and political panic as fear of a widescale attack on Andalucía grips Spain.
This is the third of Robert Wilson’s four-book series about Falcón and the story twists and turns re
Toni Osborne
Book 3 in the Javier Falcon series

The story explores cultural tensions and provides insights into the world of today. Different characters give us their points of view in the hope of helping us understand why the world has seen a resurgence of horrific events against mankind in recent years.

Through great writing and excellent plotting, Mr Wilson has taken his protagonist Javier Falcon on multiple cases, one of a man found brutally murdered, whose body was mutilated to prevent identification, ano
Kurt
The early report: Third in the trio of Javier Falcon policers, this one took a little while to hit its stride. Good news is that I'm loving it right now and I'm less than a third of the way through. Keep hope alive.

The late-night news: Funny, I ended up really having to push my way through this one. Many reviews by fans of author Robert Wilson have used the unfortunate term "needlessly padded" when discussing this one, and I've got to agree. The final chapters, in which the baddies are pressed h
David Hambling

My goodness but this was bad. It rates two stars because it's quite readable, but it's like a low-grade TV thriller.

Briefly:

-- a tourist's eye view of Spain, in which the Spanish are determined to act like stereotypes and have a fascination with England

-- a ridiculously accelerated timeline which has, for example a bombing victim appearing on Tv the next day to endorse a political candidate

-- gigantic flukes like the protagonists best friend being sent in to act as a spy and stumbling on the vit
Lisa
På dansk: Mordere i skjul

Det er et skarpt og politisk godt tænkt plot. Religiøs terrorisme, politisk opportunisme og populisme går hånd i hånd med almindelige borgeres frygt. Politi og efterretningsorganisationers manglende gennemsigtighed og evne til at skabe overblik efter en bombe springer i et boligområde i Sevilla er det centrale plot. Herudfra udskiller der sig adskillige sidehistorier, der både har korruption, ligestilling, medierne og magtens uhellige alliancer, nordafrikas geopolitiske
Rob Wilkinson
Our hero, a local murder investigator, meets international anti terrorism agencies in this richly-threaded storyline which leaves little room for character development. Nothing is what it seems as Wilson paints a Le Carré-like world of ambiguous relationships. I enjoyed it. The novel reaches some sort of denouement with a pleasing number of loose ends. No doubt to be played with later in the series.
Pat
I am now addicted to Robert Wilson...this is the quintessential mystery novel for the post 9/11 age.Wilson captures the the dark underbelly of the lust for power that is attached to every so-called ideology,secular or religious, and asks the hard questions: who profits? who is a stakeholder? what do people really mean when they talk about "belief" and how many layers are there to any given action? Our protagonist, Javier Falcon, is just as driven and introspective as ever and the larger terroris ...more
Rob Innis
Please note - it really is best to read this series of 4 books in sequence so as too best understand the ongoing threads, although each has a main plot - the protagonist Inspector Jefe Javier Falcon, Seville cop, has a hectic private life which seems to impinge on his professional activities - trying to catch the baddies. In this one Seville is rocked by an explosion. the usual suspects are in the frame but Javi persues other leads and it all gets complicated and enthralling. Great scene setting ...more
Debbie
I love the Falcon series. Wilson is a writer of complicated, engaging mysteries as literature.
Babete
Jun 13, 2015 Babete marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
(Feira do Livro 2015)
George Ilsley
The rave reviews made me pick up this book, but it took a while to get into. Much of the conversation is rather wooden, or perhaps Spanish police officers are all rather prolix philosophers. However, this book grew on me and at one point even provide a succinct and convincing explanation of why the US invaded Iraq. There are a lot of ideas here about fundamentalism, terrorism, the clash of civilizations, and how things may not actually be what they appear to be at first. A thriller that deserves ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

About terrorism, religious zealotry, and good old-fashioned human foibles like greed, The Hidden Assassins mixes the personal with the political. With a complex plot and many__perhaps too many__subplots, the mystery offers nuanced insights into crime, culture, psychology, religion, history, and personal relationships. Rich in settings, details, and characters__particularly the intelligent and sensitive Falc_

Kenyon
Since I last posted to Goodreads which was ages ago, I've consumed all of Robert Wilson, Alan Furst, Ian Rankin, Philip Kerr, Jo Nesbro, Henning Mankell, and a fair amount of others is the spy and mystery genre! Phiip Kerr has a new one out this month that I'm looking forward to reading soon and the inimitable John LeCarre has a new one coming in June. There's a great piece on LeCarre in yesterday's New York Times Magazine.
Alistair
having read some other books by robert wilson this was a bit of a re -tread of his previous books . this featured an international terrorist plot which bored me and his usual complex and conspiratorial police investigation was a bit tired .
i have noticed that thrillers are often in a narrower format than other books which makes the sentences shorter and easily read . a cunning ploy .
Patty Richardson
This was a great read. Intrigue, mystery, spy genre. Very Bourne Identity-esque. It took me forever to finish this book, but I've turned into a not-so-great reader. Plus, I put this down to read my cousin's book, which took me a weekend to read. Lots of characters and a very complicated, intricate plot, but that makes the investigation worth following and challenging to the reader's assumptions.
Mei
Ugh, most definitely not for me. That's probably why it took me so long to finish. The thread of the story gets a little lost for me in the weaving, the many, many characters whose names I can hardly keep straight in my head, and the heavy, heavy writing. Sorry. After the laconic style of the Swedes, I found this very difficult to follow.
Ian
Best so far of WIlson's Javier Falcon reads. Terrorism, so real today, is the feature of this novel. It is interesting to read novel series where the characters continue book to book. Keeps one guessing how they will progress in the future and when and how the writer chooses to 'terminate' them.
Melinda Seyler
Mar 08, 2013 Melinda Seyler rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com

I liked the other Robert Wilson book I read, so got this from the library. Well written, complex plot of terrorists in Spain and Morocco. Nicely done but it was a bit convoluted and the primary character's private life kept intervening. Okay, but I've probably had my fill now...
Butterfly2507
Naja. Ich fand es eigentlich ganz gut. Eigentlich. Mir wareneinfach zu viele Personen dabei (auch noch alle mit spanischen Namen) und ich weiß immer noch nicht genau wer eigentlich zu wem gehört :P Und obwohl es über 600 Seiten hat, habe ich es doch relativ schnell gelesen :)
Elisa Kay
This book was really very difficult for me to finish reading. I struggled with the way in which the issues in the book developed and I found it really hard to identify the reason behind this book. The title had intrigued me and I expected alot more from this book.
Marion
I enjoyed the previous two books in the Javier Falcon series much more than this one. The terrorist plots in this one had so much backstory that the book seemed to plod along unfortunately. Hope that Wilson returns to form in the fourth.
Tim
i love this guy; I've read several of his books. My favorites of his are his Graham Greenish africa books... of a seedy (and sweaty) englishman in Nigeria and Benin... highbrow english mystery/thriller stuff.
Marjorie Campbell
The Javier Falcon series of murder mysteries are a treat for people who like a well written and fully-fleshed set of characters. Each book in the series is a gem - and stands on its own merits.
Melissa
A good thriller. Reminded me a bit of the Millenium trilogy...lots of characters and different things going on. Apparently it's part of a series, so I'll have to read more...hint, hint, Ralph. :)
  • 36 Yalta Boulevard
  • Lie In The Dark
  • No Happy Ending: A Hector Belascoaran Shayne Detective Novel
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • Maigret Loses His Temper
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • A Question of Belief (Commissario Brunetti, #19)
  • Timebomb
  • A Death in Valencia
  • Silent Dances (Starbridge, #2)
  • Messiah
  • Murder in Pigalle
  • The Anniversary Man
  • The Book of Q: A Novel
2819300
Robert Wilson has written thirteen novels including the Bruce Medway noir series set in West Africa and two Lisbon books with WW2 settings the first of which, A Small Death in Lisbon, won the CWA Gold Dagger in 1999 and the International Deutsche Krimi prize in 2003. He has written four psychological crime novels set in Seville, with his Spanish detective, Javier Falcón. Two of these books (The Bl ...more
More about Robert Wilson...

Javier Falcon (4 books)
  • The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1)
  • The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2)
  • The Ignorance of Blood (Javier Falcon, #4)
A Small Death in Lisbon The Blind Man of Seville (Javier Falcon, #1) The Company of Strangers The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2) The Ignorance of Blood (Javier Falcon, #4)