Start by marking “The ICU Book” as Want to Read:
The ICU Book

The ICU Book

This best-selling resource provides a general overview and basic information for all adult intensive care units. The material is presented in a brief and quick-access format which allows for topic and exam review. It provides enough detailed and specific information to address most all questions and problems that arise in the ICU. Emphasis on fundamental principles in the ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 1088 pages
Published September 27th 2006 by LWW (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The ICU Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The ICU Book

Nov 06, 2008 Ashlee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ICU Nurses
Recommended to Ashlee by:
Well, basically I added this one because I have been using it and will probably continue to use it as a nurse in the Cardiovascular ICU. Unless you're a nurse or you really want to know a lot of pointless info about what's going on in an ICU environment, I don't recommend this to the layperson. However, if you are a health care professional, this book provides a lot of information and is easy to understand if you understand nursing and the ICU setting.
Thomas Müller
May 20, 2013 Thomas Müller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the single best medical book I have ever read. If you are a doctor, no matter your specialty, you should read it.
Zachary Brown
Aug 28, 2016 Zachary Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Board preparation

Re-reading this book for board preparation, a couple of things stand out. Marino is excellent at challenging dogma and supports understanding the correct reasoning for medical pathophysiology. I find the style to be very readable and succinct. However, the editor of the kindle edition (am reading on an iPad) needs to be fired. There are typos, inaccurate figures/tables, and just plain odd typesetting that is quite distracting. Hopefully this will be corrected in future editions
Ahmed Alohali
May 23, 2015 Ahmed Alohali rated it liked it
I read the 4th edition. Introductory textbook for critical care medicine if you are interested resident or at the begging of your fellowship a lot of basic science. I like the historical link and the sayings at the start of each chapter.
Osama Ghazy
Feb 25, 2016 Osama Ghazy rated it liked it
Not so good
no organiziation
missed part like obstetric
Very good chapters like mechanical ventilation, electrolyte imbalanace
Nov 08, 2009 Zachariareagle rated it really liked it
Okay I know this is pretty geeky, but it is a must read for my profession. Actually I found this book very readable. The topics are huge, but the chapter sizes are manageable. I could come home from a busy day in the ICU and read a chapter to two to learn WHY I did what I did that day. This is a book I will return to frequently during the rest of my residency and fellowship.
Mar 07, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
Essential for any critical care enthusiast, not just surgeons but medical ICU folks, nurses, etc. Very easy-to-understand, good use of diagrams and good references at the end of each chapter.
Apr 05, 2012 Ellen rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Best nursing book I've ever owned (and I own quite a few). I consult this book regularly. Highly recommend it for any ICU nurse who always likes to ask "why?".
Mar 08, 2010 Javier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nurses
This is an excellent book. People going to the hospital should carry one of these even if they cant read it. All nurses should have a copy.
Jul 23, 2011 Todd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: medical, favorites
So incredibly readable, Dan Marino has got real talent. This should be required reading for any IM resident or physician.
May 02, 2011 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Well written, easy to read, the best ICU reference for residents on critical care I have come across.
Niki P
Jul 31, 2015 Niki P rated it it was amazing
A great manual that I refer to on a regular basis.
Leila Jane
Mar 10, 2011 Leila Jane rated it really liked it
Marino is awesome and tells it like it is.
Sep 21, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
My favorite 'school' book right now
Mar 05, 2008 Bobby rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: medical people
Yes, I am a dork and thought it would be cool to post a medical book here.
Sabeena Setia
Jun 25, 2007 Sabeena Setia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all in medicine
Sep 02, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: residents who do time in the icu
Shelves: never-finished
Clear and readable.
Baielle marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
GS Campbell
GS Campbell is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2016
Chesandra Swaby
Chesandra Swaby rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2016
Kyle Maier
Kyle Maier rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2016
Sam Rayner
Sam Rayner rated it it was amazing
Joseph D. Walch
Joseph D. Walch rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2016
Annie marked it as to-read
Dustin Boyd
Dustin Boyd rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Vanessa C T
Vanessa C T rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Alex added it
Oct 02, 2016
Hala marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Dr-ahmed Zaki
Dr-ahmed Zaki marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
  • The Only EKG Book You'll Ever Need
  • Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
  • Kaplan Medical USMLE Medical Ethics: The 100 Cases You Are Most Likely to See on the Exam
  • Pocket Medicine: The Massachusetts General Hospital Handbook of Internal Medicine 3e
  • Letters to a Young Doctor
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • Energy Medicine: The Scientific Basis
  • The Rise and Fall of Modern Medicine
  • All the Mathematics You Missed: But Need to Know for Graduate School
  • The Strange Case of the Walking Corpse: A Chronicle of Medical Mysteries, Curious Remedies, and Bizarre but True Healing  Folklore
  • The Impact of Inequality: How to Make Sick Societies Healthier
  • The New Russians
  • Modern Portfolio Theory and Investment Analysis
  • Self-Nurture: Learning to Care for Yourself As Effectively As You Care for Everyone Else