Start by marking “The Leopard” as Want to Read:
The Leopard

The Leopard (Harry Hole #8)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  28,972 Ratings  ·  2,293 Reviews
In the depths of winter, a killer stalks the city streets. His victims are two young women, both found with twenty-four inexplicable puncture wounds, both drowned in their own blood. The crime scenes offer no clues, the media is reaching fever pitch, and the police are running out of options. There is only one man who can help them, and he doesn't want to be found.

Deeply t
Published January 20th 2011 by Harvill Secker (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Leopard, please sign up.

Wynn Click on "other editions" and then switch to the edition you are reading or have read. You can also search goodreads by entering the ISBN number of…moreClick on "other editions" and then switch to the edition you are reading or have read. You can also search goodreads by entering the ISBN number of the book or the ASIN number for Kindle. (less)
Georgia Hughes yes it is,,,,I love the character Harry Hole. The Leopard is number 8 in the series about this troubled but brilliant detective...try to read the…moreyes it is,,,,I love the character Harry Hole. The Leopard is number 8 in the series about this troubled but brilliant detective...try to read the novels in order!!(less)

Carol
Jan 12, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Harry Hole:

Last time I heard from you, you lost the woman you loved, her son who called you Dad and your middle finger. You quit Crime Squad for good, sulking from the trauma and devastation in your life caused chasing down that twisted Snowman. You moved to Hong Kong where you graduated at the top of your class from Jim Beam to heroin. No more serial killer hunts for you. Just smack, glass noodles and gambling on losing horses. The good life for someone who has given up on life.

Then this
Anna
Feb 22, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially Harry Bosch fans
Shelves: apl, audiobook, 2012, 2016
Nesbø's Harry Hole books should come with at least two warnings on them; Never start to read one if you need a full night of sleep (you will be up until way too late because the story is just too addictive), and never start to read one if you don't have at least one more Harry Hole, ideally in chronological order lined up waiting for you next, since you'll probably be going on Harry Hole binge.
This one would work great outside the series too, but it is much more enjoyable if you read the HH book
Phrynne
Aug 11, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 8 in the Harry Hole series and maybe the best out of all of them so far! Harry is by now a confirmed alcoholic and spends a lot of his time in drunken binges but when a new serial killer comes on the scene he manages to stay sober long enough to solve the case. Despite his failings Harry is still such a likeable character and always smart enough to win out over criminals and bent police officers. Possibly his success is due to the fact that he really really does not care what happens to h ...more
Kathy
Jan 03, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The violence in The Leopard is gruesome and unrelenting (took me a while to craft a review without the phrase "sick fuck" in it [oops]). For some, I know, it will be too much. It came close for me, but my lack of an ability to visualize allowed me to power through.

That said, the violence works well within the story. Detective Harry Hole is back on the case of another serial killer and lets face it, things have to get pretty damn dicey to shake up Harry (and he is well and truly shook).

This thril
James Thane
At the end of the seventh book in this series, The Snowman, Inspector Harry Hole was an emotional wreck. The case had taken a very heavy toll on him personally and his reaction to it all was to quit the Oslo police force and run away to Hong Kong where he lost himself in the city's notorious opium dens. But now a new serial killer may be stalking victims back in Norway and Harry is the most experienced policeman in the country in dealing with such criminals.

Harry's boss sends Kaja Solness, an at
Anna
Nov 07, 2014 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Οι τρεις αγαπημένοι μου Χαρούληδες (όχι απαραίτητα με αυτή τη σειρά) είναι οι εξής:
1ον) Χάρι Πότερ για τις αναμνήσεις των εφηβικών – φοιτητικών χρόνων και την αγωνία για κάθε καινούριο βιβλίο
2ον) Χάρι Χόλε για τα αξημέρωτα βράδια που αγωνιούσα ποιος είναι ο δολοφόνος και αν θα επιβιώσει ο αγαπημένος μου επιθεωρητής ή αν θα τα σκατώσει εξαιτίας του ποτού
3ον) Γιάννης Χαρούλης γιατί… εντάξει, έχετε πάει σε live του;
Πάμε λοιπόν στο νο 2, όπου σε αυτή την περιπέτεια τα πράγματα… δεν έχουν πολύ σχέσ
April
Jan 19, 2012 April marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that aren't dreadful but just aren't worth finishing. All the same, I cannot remember the last time I read 311 pages of a book only to decide I couldn't be bothered to read the rest. After several days of being really confused by my overwhelming apathy and agonizing over what to do, I finally gave myself permission to give up.

Why couldn't I summon up the will to read? For one thing, this is not even half as good a book as The Snowman nor was its killer remotely as frightenin
Cátia Santos
Jul 03, 2015 Cátia Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5*! Só não dei as cinco porque achei que o final foi um pouco confuso. Penso que ganhava mais se tivesse terminado o livro umas páginas antes, pois já não ficaria com a sensação de que andou a arrastar a história no final.

Ainda assim, um livro muito empolgante, como sempre, daquele que é, atualmente, o meu escritor nórdico favorito! :) Sou completamente fã de Jo Nesbo!
Desiree Koh
Jul 31, 2011 Desiree Koh rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of crime fiction, unless it was written by Raymond Chandler, but that's not crime fiction - that's noir literature. However, I was enticed by and enjoyed the Stieg Larsson books last summer, despite how poorly they were edited and awful the English translations were. The narratives were compelling, and I couldn't put them down.

I decided to pick up the latest book by Jo Nesbo - billed as the "Norwegian Stieg Larsson" - because I was curious about this new trend of explicitly gruesom
Carolyn
Aug 20, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
After catching the serial killer known as the Snowman Harry Hole quit the Crime Squad and lit out for Hong Kong where he could indulge in drinking, gambling and heroin in an attempt to forget about Rakel. But now there has been a series of inexplicably linked deaths and Crime Squad want Harry back in Oslo and his ex-colleague Kaja Solness is sent to track him down.

I think this might be my favourite Jo Nesbo to date (just ahead of The Snowman). The plot is complex and made more so by the tug of w
Αγγελική Βρ.
Παρα τον περιορισμενο χρονο μου και την μεγαλη εκταση του βιβλιου δεν γινοταν να εχω μισαωρο κενο και να μην το πιασω στο χερια μου.!! Ηταν υπεροχο !! Αν ειμαι αντικειμενικη αυτη τη στιγμη, αφου δεν εχει περασει πανω απο ωρα που το τελειωσα, θα το ονομαςω το αγαπημενο μου απο nesbo μεχρι στιγμης!!
Nancy Oakes
It is just a crying shame that this novel is not going to be available in the U.S. right away, because really, American readers of Jo Nesbø are missing out on one of the very best books in the entire series. I couldn't even purchase a copy from Book Depository directly, so I had to take the roundabout alternative and purchase from BD through Amazon. It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it. Trust me, after finishing The Snowman, you are going to want to read this book as quickly as possible. ...more
Mohikanos
May 09, 2016 Mohikanos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένας συγγραφικός άθλος του Nesbo που καταφέρνει να γράψει ένα πολύπλευρο μυθιστόρημα 780 σελίδων κρατώντας αμείωτο το ενδιαφέρον του αναγνώστη, χωρίς να χάνει τον ειρμό του, χωρίς να αερολογεί και χωρίς να πλατειάζει.
Το διάβασα σε 2 εβδομάδες (διαβάζω σχετικά αργά) και, πραγματικά, αισθανόμουν όταν το τελείωσα ότι είχα περάσει τουλάχιστον ένα μήνα ζωής δίπλα στον Χόλε, μπλεγμένος στην ίδια την ιστορία, με παρέα όλους τους ρόλους του βιβλίου, συμπάσχοντας και συμμετέχοντας σε όλες τις εκφάνσεις τ
Menia
Jan 09, 2017 Menia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
readathon 3/26 βιβλίο με περισσότερες από 700 σελίδες

Χαρούλι μου με κοψοχόλιασες πάλι, αλλά ευτυχώς που ξέρω ότι ο δημιουργός σου μας έχει και συνέχειες wink ;p
Jane
Nov 22, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing
I have a thing about Scandinavia and Scandinavian crime thrillers. Having enjoyed Wallander on TV, particularly Krister Henriksson's portrayal, I want to read all of Henning Mankel's series. The Danish TV series The Killing is also very good. Hence when my book group chose Jo Nesbo's The Leopard I was just a bit excited! Little did I know that The Leopard is the sixth book in the series and having not read any of the others, I feel I'm doing this back to front. On opening the book I was bitten! ...more
F.R.
Dec 11, 2011 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the advertising does work. One finds it almost impossible to commute around London these days without seeing adverts for Jo Nesbo’s various thrillers. They give the impression that every sentient being on the planet is currently gripped by this man’s books and slavering for the next one. More than eating or breathing oxygen, reading Norwegian crime novels is the done thing for the human race right now. As such, because I appear to be more of a sucker for this kind of thing than I previously r ...more
sslyb
Sep 19, 2012 sslyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite crime busters, Harry Hole,in another well written Nordic Crime Novel. I love the writing, love the character, but I almost want to give this one 3 stars because the murders are so hideously conceived. Does Nesbo think the crimes have to get more and more horrible to sell more books? The Snowman's MO was bad but this one is worse. When I read Headhunters will it be even worse?
Michelle
Feb 27, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why do I love you, Harry Hole? You are so broken. Yet Kaja, the new face in the Crime Squad, was tasked with flying to Hong Kong to dredge Harry up from his self exile to help catch a possible serial killer. He makes it back to Oslo, but oddly enough, the case takes him to the Congo. The book is fairly gruesome and introduces us to what I thought was the Leopard Apple. LOL. It's really Leopold's apple. I chose the killer almost right away and was pretty pleased when they made the arrest - only t ...more
Lisa
Dec 04, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
This was my least favorite Jo Nesbo book. I would love to blame it on the fact that I started it while riding home from Pgh or that it took me over 10 days to finish (a VERY long time for me to finish a 500 page book) However, I think it's because there were way too many characters, too many plot twists, and Harry just lost a little something for me. He was borderline pathetic. Many times throughout the story I wanted to slap him, at best. I just don't know.

I do know that if this was my first H
Felice
Jan 01, 2012 Felice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his previous novel Nesbø had Harry catching a serial killer known as The Snowman and almost losing himself in the process. In The Leopard Nesbø finds another multiple murderer for Harry to investigate. Apparently there’s a lot of that going around in Norway. Not to worry however Harry Hole is here to if not make sense of it then to at least put the bad guys behind bars.

Harry is my go to read among the Scandinavian crime spree novels. I never fell under the spell of Steig Larson or Henning Me
Vera Brandão
Novamente rendida aos livros de Jo Nesbo!
Vicky Ziliaskopoulou
Δεν ενθουσιάστηκα. Κατ' αρχήν, έχω θέμα όταν στο ίδιο βιβλίο υπάρχουν πολλά ονόματα. Εδώ ο δολοφόνος ξεκλήρισε μισό χωριό μέχρι να τελειώσει το βιβλίο, έχασα τη μπάλα με τους νεκρούς και τους αστυνομικούς και γενικά όλα τα πρόσωπα που παίρνουν μέρος στην υπόθεση. Επίσης δεν έχω διαβάσει τον "Χιονάνθρωπο" και ούτε πρόκειται προφανώς - λέει μέσα ποιος είναι ο χιονάνθρωπος οπότε δεν έχει και πολύ νόημα να το κάνω τώρα...
Επίσης κάποιες φορές δεν μπορούσα να παρακολουθήσω τη σκέψη του Χάρυ Χόλε ή την
Martin
Apr 03, 2014 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it starts slowly around middle I was enjoying some nice plot twist, but after that it went shockingly bad. things I did not enjoy:
- made up torture devices are ok, but presenting them as a real historical artefact stinks
- Norwegian police routinely travel to civil-war plagued African countries to investigate on a whim, without any official liason, contact, legal backup, guns, preparation or even a fucking medical check.
Nesbo is trying too hard and puts too many locations (rwanda, hong kong, germ
Terry Brooks
Feb 05, 2013 Terry Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I am swamped with finishing my next Shannara book (for 2014) and reading the galley proofs for Witch Wraith, I have not read a whole slew of fantasy books, both adult and young adult, that I am anxious to get to. Also, I am holding off on Shawn until I can get a running start! (Just kidding - I will review his book THE DARK THORN next month or the one after).

So let me recommend Jo Nesbo to you. Any of his books are wonderful, but I just finished The Leopard (probably #8 or so in his ser
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book was not an easy read. It's dark, graphic, and shows the dark dregs of society and hypocrisy.

Harry Hole is far from a good person, but he actually feels real. Almost every character feels like a real person.

Also the unexpected twists and turns. Every time I thought the plot was going to go somewhere it either didn't or it twisted it to an unexpected degree. There were some points where I even went "wow".

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a thriller/serial killer novel without seei
nikolaos
Jul 24, 2016 nikolaos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Σε σχέση με τον όγκο του βιβλίου , χρειάστηκα τελικά λίγο χρόνο για να το τελειώσω, οπότε σίγουρα μπορώ να πω ότι το παρόν βιβλίο δεν σε αφήνει να το αφήσεις !!!
Επίσης (παρά τον όγκο του) δεν μπορώ να θυμηθώ να κάνει κάποια ‘’κοιλιά’’ το βιβλίο!!!
Κλασικός Nesbo, με τον κλασικό ιδιόρρυθμο αστυνομικό του Χάρι Χόλε και με πολλές ανατροπές, για μία ακόμα φορά.
Χωρίς να θέλω να τα συγκρίνω, θεωρώ και τα τρία τελευταία βιβλία του Nesbo που διάβασα : Η Λεοπάρδαλη, Ο Λυτρωτής και ο Χιονάνθρωπος πολύ καλ
Đorđe Bajić
Jun 02, 2015 Đorđe Bajić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
Kada se Nesbe raspiše, on se zaista raspiše. U 700 stranica je ugurao dosta toga - ima opštih mesta, priča je istovremeno zapetljana i banalna, nije ovo savršen roman. Opet, prijalo mi je. Veoma. Hari Hule je dopadljiv glavni junak i misterije u koje se upetlja nikada nisu dosadne. Uz to, treba podvući, ovaj roman se dešava na čak 4 kontinenta. Afrička završnica je zanimljiva, šteta što na nju nije stavljan akcenat.
Anastasia
Aug 29, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-crimes
Το λάτρεψα!...,αν και πιο καταθληπτικός κ παρακμιακός από όλα τα προηγούμενα ο Χόλε....η ανατροπή της ανατροπής,θαυμάζω τον τρόπο που χτίζει τις ιστορίες του ο Νεσμπο...
Matt
Dec 16, 2014 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By crafting arguably the most intense of the Harry Hole novels to date, Nesbø puts the reader in the middle of an intense murder investigation and search for another horrific killer. After suffering greatly at the hands of the The Snowman, a serial killer from a previous novel, Hole is hiding out in Hong Kong, with little interest in returning to his native land. Kaja Solness, newest member of the Crime Squad within the Oslo Police, is sent to coax him back, explaining that the Squad has come up ...more
João Carlos

"The mountain resort area of Ustaoset"

Os livros do escritor norueguês Jo Nesbo (n. 1960) nunca me desiludem.
”O Leopardo” é o oitavo livro da série “Harry Hole”, no meu caso “apenas” o sexto, um enredo que se inicia após os acontecimentos traumáticos de ”O Boneco de Neve”, com Harry Hole a ser resgatado pela atraente detective Kaja Solness do seu auto-exílio em Hong Kong.
No regresso à Noruega “justificado” pela grave doença do seu pai Olav, um novo serial killer aterroriza a lindíssima cidade d
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #8)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • The Troubled Man (Kurt Wallander, #10)
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • Journal 64 (Afdeling Q, #4)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting #8)
  • Cell 8 (Grens & Sundkvist #3)
  • The Fire Engine That Disappeared  (Martin Beck, #5)
  • Misterioso (A-gruppen, #1)
  • Fear not
Jo Nesbø is a bestselling Norwegian author and musician. He was born in Oslo and grew up in Molde. Nesbø graduated from the Norwegian School of Economics with a degree in economics. Nesbø is primarily famous for his crime novels about Detective Harry Hole, but he is also the main vocals and songwriter for the Norwegian rock band Di Derre. In 2007 Nesbø also released his first children's book, Dokt ...more
More about Jo Nesbø...

Harry Hole (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flaggermusmannen (Harry Hole, #1)
  • Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2)
  • The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
  • Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4)
  • The Devil's Star (Harry Hole, #5)
  • Frelseren (Harry Hole, #6)
  • The Snowman (Harry Hole, #7)
  • Phantom (Harry Hole, #9)
  • Police (Harry Hole, #10)
  • Žízeň (Harry Hole #11)

“I think it's possible to learn. The problem is that we learn so damned slowly, so that by the time you've realized something, it's too late.” 17 likes
“Incidentally, I really agree with those who say that the capacity to forgive says something about the essential quality of a person. I'm the lowest grade.'
'I didn't mean to criticize you.'
'I promise to be better in my next life...”
10 likes