Start by marking “The Leopard” as Want to Read:
The Leopard

The Leopard (Harry Hole #8)

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  25,420 Ratings  ·  2,112 Reviews
In the depths of winter, a killer stalks the city streets. His victims are two young women, both found with twenty-four inexplicable puncture wounds, both drowned in their own blood. The crime scenes offer no clues, the media is reaching fever pitch, and the police are running out of options. There is only one man who can help them, and he doesn't want to be found.

Deeply t
Published January 20th 2011 by Harvill Secker (first published January 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Leopard, please sign up.

Wynn Click on "other editions" and then switch to the edition you are reading or have read. You can also search goodreads by entering the ISBN number of…moreClick on "other editions" and then switch to the edition you are reading or have read. You can also search goodreads by entering the ISBN number of the book or the ASIN number for Kindle. (less)

Carol
Feb 16, 2016 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Harry Hole:

Last time I heard from you, you lost the woman you loved, her son who called you Dad and your middle finger. You quit Crime Squad for good, sulking from the trauma and devastation in your life caused chasing down that twisted Snowman. You moved to Hong Kong where you graduated at the top of your class from Jim Beam to heroin. No more serial killer hunts for you. Just smack, glass noodles and gambling on losing horses. The good life for someone who has given up on life.

Then this
Anna
Apr 04, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: especially Harry Bosch fans
Shelves: apl, audiobook, 2012, 2016
Nesbø's Harry Hole books should come with at least two warnings on them; Never start to read one if you need a full night of sleep (you will be up until way too late because the story is just too addictive), and never start to read one if you don't have at least one more Harry Hole, ideally in chronological order lined up waiting for you next, since you'll probably be going on Harry Hole binge.
This one would work great outside the series too, but it is much more enjoyable if you read the HH book
Phrynne
Sep 04, 2015 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 8 in the Harry Hole series and maybe the best out of all of them so far! Harry is by now a confirmed alcoholic and spends a lot of his time in drunken binges but when a new serial killer comes on the scene he manages to stay sober long enough to solve the case. Despite his failings Harry is still such a likeable character and always smart enough to win out over criminals and bent police officers. Possibly his success is due to the fact that he really really does not care what happens to h ...more
Kathy
Jan 23, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The violence in The Leopard is gruesome and unrelenting (took me a while to craft a review without the phrase "sick fuck" in it [oops]). For some, I know, it will be too much. It came close for me, but my lack of an ability to visualize allowed me to power through.

That said, the violence works well within the story. Detective Harry Hole is back on the case of another serial killer and lets face it, things have to get pretty damn dicey to shake up Harry (and he is well and truly shook).

This thril
James Thane
At the end of the seventh book in this series, The Snowman, Inspector Harry Hole was an emotional wreck. The case had taken a very heavy toll on him personally and his reaction to it all was to quit the Oslo police force and run away to Hong Kong where he lost himself in the city's notorious opium dens. But now a new serial killer may be stalking victims back in Norway and Harry is the most experienced policeman in the country in dealing with such criminals.

Harry's boss sends Kaja Solness, an at
Cátia Santos
Jul 09, 2015 Cátia Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5*! Só não dei as cinco porque achei que o final foi um pouco confuso. Penso que ganhava mais se tivesse terminado o livro umas páginas antes, pois já não ficaria com a sensação de que andou a arrastar a história no final.

Ainda assim, um livro muito empolgante, como sempre, daquele que é, atualmente, o meu escritor nórdico favorito! :) Sou completamente fã de Jo Nesbo!
April
Jan 19, 2012 April marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
There are some books that aren't dreadful but just aren't worth finishing. All the same, I cannot remember the last time I read 311 pages of a book only to decide I couldn't be bothered to read the rest. After several days of being really confused by my overwhelming apathy and agonizing over what to do, I finally gave myself permission to give up.

Why couldn't I summon up the will to read? For one thing, this is not even half as good a book as The Snowman nor was its killer remotely as frightenin
Nancy Oakes
It is just a crying shame that this novel is not going to be available in the U.S. right away, because really, American readers of Jo Nesbø are missing out on one of the very best books in the entire series. I couldn't even purchase a copy from Book Depository directly, so I had to take the roundabout alternative and purchase from BD through Amazon. It's a bit more expensive, but well worth it. Trust me, after finishing The Snowman, you are going to want to read this book as quickly as possible. ...more
Jane
Nov 25, 2011 Jane rated it it was amazing
I have a thing about Scandinavia and Scandinavian crime thrillers. Having enjoyed Wallander on TV, particularly Krister Henriksson's portrayal, I want to read all of Henning Mankel's series. The Danish TV series The Killing is also very good. Hence when my book group chose Jo Nesbo's The Leopard I was just a bit excited! Little did I know that The Leopard is the sixth book in the series and having not read any of the others, I feel I'm doing this back to front. On opening the book I was bitten! ...more
Desiree Koh
Jul 31, 2011 Desiree Koh rated it it was ok
I'm not a fan of crime fiction, unless it was written by Raymond Chandler, but that's not crime fiction - that's noir literature. However, I was enticed by and enjoyed the Stieg Larsson books last summer, despite how poorly they were edited and awful the English translations were. The narratives were compelling, and I couldn't put them down.

I decided to pick up the latest book by Jo Nesbo - billed as the "Norwegian Stieg Larsson" - because I was curious about this new trend of explicitly gruesom
sslyb
May 15, 2015 sslyb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite crime busters, Harry Hole,in another well written Nordic Crime Novel. I love the writing, love the character, but I almost want to give this one 3 stars because the murders are so hideously conceived. Does Nesbo think the crimes have to get more and more horrible to sell more books? The Snowman's MO was bad but this one is worse. When I read Headhunters will it be even worse?
Αγγελική Βρ.
Παρα τον περιορισμενο χρονο μου και την μεγαλη εκταση του βιβλιου δεν γινοταν να εχω μισαωρο κενο και να μην το πιασω στο χερια μου.!! Ηταν υπεροχο !! Αν ειμαι αντικειμενικη αυτη τη στιγμη, αφου δεν εχει περασει πανω απο ωρα που το τελειωσα, θα το ονομαςω το αγαπημενο μου απο nesbo μεχρι στιγμης!!
Anastasia
Oct 20, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-crimes
Το λάτρεψα!...,αν και πιο καταθληπτικός κ παρακμιακός από όλα τα προηγούμενα ο Χόλε....η ανατροπή της ανατροπής,θαυμάζω τον τρόπο που χτίζει τις ιστορίες του ο Νεσμπο...
F.R.
Jul 23, 2015 F.R. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So the advertising does work. One finds it almost impossible to commute around London these days without seeing adverts for Jo Nesbo’s various thrillers. They give the impression that every sentient being on the planet is currently gripped by this man’s books and slavering for the next one. More than eating or breathing oxygen, reading Norwegian crime novels is the done thing for the human race right now. As such, because I appear to be more of a sucker for this kind of thing than I previously r ...more
Felice
Jan 01, 2012 Felice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In his previous novel Nesbø had Harry catching a serial killer known as The Snowman and almost losing himself in the process. In The Leopard Nesbø finds another multiple murderer for Harry to investigate. Apparently there’s a lot of that going around in Norway. Not to worry however Harry Hole is here to if not make sense of it then to at least put the bad guys behind bars.

Harry is my go to read among the Scandinavian crime spree novels. I never fell under the spell of Steig Larson or Henning Me
Michelle
Feb 27, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why do I love you, Harry Hole? You are so broken. Yet Kaja, the new face in the Crime Squad, was tasked with flying to Hong Kong to dredge Harry up from his self exile to help catch a possible serial killer. He makes it back to Oslo, but oddly enough, the case takes him to the Congo. The book is fairly gruesome and introduces us to what I thought was the Leopard Apple. LOL. It's really Leopold's apple. I chose the killer almost right away and was pretty pleased when they made the arrest - only t ...more
Cathy DuPont
Feb 10, 2015 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally, I'm caught up with the series.

As Norwegian Jo Nesbo fans know, Harry Hole's adventures had to be read out of order (by English readers) due to translation decisions by the publishers.

And yes, for those of us who are anal retentive in reading series in order know, it's not pleasant to read out of order. But when there's nothing that can be done about it, what to do? Well, do as I did...just forget it and read them when you get them.

But this book in particular is the main reason I like
Alexandra
Der Leopard ist ein Krimi, der eine so starke Horrorkomponente hat, dass sie fast zuviel ist für meine zartgestickte Seele. Manche Opfer werden nicht nur ermordet, sondern auch noch gefoltert und das in ausführlichsten Beschreibungen aus der Sicht des Sterbenden. Schon bei der ersten Szene setzte doch ernsthaft mein Würgereflex ein. Weiters ist dies ein Roman, bei dem ein empfindliches Gemüt zwar dann in der Nacht schlechte Träume bekommt, aber den man auch nicht weglegen kann - wie so ein hypno ...more
Lisa
Dec 04, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
This was my least favorite Jo Nesbo book. I would love to blame it on the fact that I started it while riding home from Pgh or that it took me over 10 days to finish (a VERY long time for me to finish a 500 page book) However, I think it's because there were way too many characters, too many plot twists, and Harry just lost a little something for me. He was borderline pathetic. Many times throughout the story I wanted to slap him, at best. I just don't know.

I do know that if this was my first H
Terry Brooks
Feb 05, 2013 Terry Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because I am swamped with finishing my next Shannara book (for 2014) and reading the galley proofs for Witch Wraith, I have not read a whole slew of fantasy books, both adult and young adult, that I am anxious to get to. Also, I am holding off on Shawn until I can get a running start! (Just kidding - I will review his book THE DARK THORN next month or the one after).

So let me recommend Jo Nesbo to you. Any of his books are wonderful, but I just finished The Leopard (probably #8 or so in his ser
Kevin Farrell
Jan 28, 2012 Kevin Farrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short version of this review is this: If you liked the Snowman by Jo Nesbo then you will like this.

Longer version: The story follows Harry Hole to China where he is trying to bury himself in opium addiction after losing people close to him in the Snowman case. He is not coping well. He has a gambling debt to persons in China that are hunting him. His old boss needs him back for a case that is exploding with murders. To make matters worse, there is a new Investigative Unit that is maneuvering
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This book was not an easy read. It's dark, graphic, and shows the dark dregs of society and hypocrisy.

Harry Hole is far from a good person, but he actually feels real. Almost every character feels like a real person.

Also the unexpected twists and turns. Every time I thought the plot was going to go somewhere it either didn't or it twisted it to an unexpected degree. There were some points where I even went "wow".

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a thriller/serial killer novel without seei
Ricardo
Feb 22, 2015 Ricardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um livro brutal, dei por mim vezes sem conta de boca aberta, literalmente, tentado perceber o que sentiam as vítimas do "Leopoldo". .. Cheguei a procurar na net pelo dito instrumento de tortura, que vim a descobrir ser invenção da mente do Nesbo... Quem leu vai me perceber, quem não leu.... Leia!!!! Leitura obrigatória para quem gosta de um excelente thriller !! Livro leitura compulsiva... O único senão, algumas coincidência são absurdamente coincidentes.... Mas.. É literatura, fazemos lá a noss ...more
Đorđe Bajić
Jun 07, 2015 Đorđe Bajić rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, crime
Kada se Nesbe raspiše, on se zaista raspiše. U 700 stranica je ugurao dosta toga - ima opštih mesta, priča je istovremeno zapetljana i banalna, nije ovo savršen roman. Opet, prijalo mi je. Veoma. Hari Hule je dopadljiv glavni junak i misterije u koje se upetlja nikada nisu dosadne. Uz to, treba podvući, ovaj roman se dešava na čak 4 kontinenta. Afrička završnica je zanimljiva, šteta što na nju nije stavljan akcenat.
Verovsky Brandão
Nov 12, 2014 Verovsky Brandão rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leituras-2014
Novamente rendida aos livros de Jo Nesbo!
Matt
Jan 26, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By crafting arguably the most intense of the Harry Hole novels to date, Nesbø puts the reader in the middle of an intense murder investigation and search for another horrific killer. After suffering greatly at the hands of the The Snowman, a serial killer from a previous novel, Hole is hiding out in Hong Kong, with little interest in returning to his native land. Kaja Solness, newest member of the Crime Squad within the Oslo Police, is sent to coax him back, explaining that the Squad has come up ...more
Fatima
Oct 23, 2015 Fatima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Como habrán notado, sigo con mi saga y mi adicción a Jo Nesbo, en esta ocasión le toca al libro “El Leopardo”, el cual nuevamente me estuvo atrapada hasta su última página.

Este tiene un arranque brutal, casi despiadado, la novela te engancha desde el principio y los personajes y los acontecimientos desfilan de modo trepidante. No voy a dar spoiler de la trama, pero si pronunciare que podría haber terminado el mismo con 100 paginas menos, este continua con su prosa fluida, personajes bien perfila
João Carlos

"The mountain resort area of Ustaoset"

Os livros do escritor norueguês Jo Nesbo (n. 1960) nunca me desiludem.
”O Leopardo” é o oitavo livro da série “Harry Hole”, no meu caso “apenas” o sexto, um enredo que se inicia após os acontecimentos traumáticos de ”O Boneco de Neve”, com Harry Hole a ser resgatado pela atraente detective Kaja Solness do seu auto-exílio em Hong Kong.
No regresso à Noruega “justificado” pela grave doença do seu pai Olav, um novo serial killer aterroriza a lindíssima cidade d
Bonnie
Apr 16, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swedish Crime novels are my favorite to read. Stieg Larsson, Henning Mankell, Asa Larsson, Ake Ewardson, and Leif Persson are all excellent writers. And at the top of the list is Jo Nesbo. I had previously read two other books by Jo: The Redbreast and Nemesis, numbers three and number four respectively. The Leopard is number eight and stars the Inspector Harry Hole. As the story opens, Harry is living in Hong Kong frequenting the opium dens and trying to forget his last case that involved a seri ...more
Stephen Hayes
This is the third book I have read by Jo Nesbø, where the protagonist is Oslo detective Harry Hole. The book opens with Harry on indefinite leave, hiding out in the opium dens of Hong Kong, and being brought back to solve a serial murder case -- two women have been found dead, drowned in their own blood.

I haven't read the book immediately preceding this one in the series, The snowman, which apparently explains why Harry was in Hong Kong, and perhaps one needs to read that to understand what hap
  • Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #8)
  • When the Devil Holds the Candle (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #4)
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Jakthundene (William Wisting #8)
  • The Absent One (Department Q, #2)
  • Lucifer's Tears (Inspector Kari Vaara, #2)
  • The Troubled Man (Wallander #10)
  • The Fire Engine That Disappeared  (Martin Beck, #5)
  • Echoes from the Dead (The Öland Quartet, #1)
  • Bad Blood (Intercrime, #2)
Jo Nesbø is a bestselling Norwegian author and musician. He was born in Oslo and grew up in Molde. Nesbø graduated from the Norwegian School of Economics with a degree in economics. Nesbø is primarily famous for his crime novels about Detective Harry Hole, but he is also the main vocals and songwriter for the Norwegian rock band Di Derre. In 2007 Nesbø also released his first children's book, Dokt ...more
More about Jo Nesbø...

Harry Hole (10 books)
  • Flaggermusmannen (Harry Hole, #1)
  • Cockroaches (Harry Hole, #2)
  • The Redbreast (Harry Hole, #3)
  • Nemesis (Harry Hole, #4)
  • The Devil's Star (Harry Hole, #5)
  • Frelseren (Harry Hole, #6)
  • The Snowman (Harry Hole, #7)
  • Phantom (Harry Hole, #9)
  • Police (Harry Hole, #10)

“I think it's possible to learn. The problem is that we learn so damned slowly, so that by the time you've realized something, it's too late.” 13 likes
“Incidentally, I really agree with those who say that the capacity to forgive says something about the essential quality of a person. I'm the lowest grade.'
'I didn't mean to criticize you.'
'I promise to be better in my next life...”
9 likes