Start by marking “Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure” as Want to Read:
Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure

Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Don Brown introduces us to yet another little-known heroine. On June 9, 1909, twenty-two-year-old Alice Ramsey hitched up her skirts and climbed behind the wheel of a Maxwell touring car. Fifty-nine days later she rolled into San Francisco, becoming the first woman to drive across America. What happened in between is quite a tale! Through words and pictures, the author sha ...more
Published September 26th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published September 9th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure

Connie
I received three books by this author for Christmas from my Secret Santa at LibraryThing. Of the three, I think this is the weakest. Instead of focusing on Alice Ramsey's life, it covers only her first trip across the nation. I would rather have seen more information about her instead of just facts about the trip.

However, the trip is covered in a clear and factual way, and it is interesting in and of itself, even if it's not what I was expecting in a biography. It's bound to be interesting to an
Jillian Reed
Historical book about the first woman to drive across America. She took more than fifty days to travel and decided to take more
Than thirty trips across America throughout her life. Educational!
Kathryn Reeder
Shelli Gheen
Alice Ramsey's Grand Adventure (1997), written and illustrated by Don Brown, relates the true story of Alice Ramsey who, in 1909, became the first woman to drive an automobile across the United States from New York to San Francisco. The narrative style of this biography as well as the at times humorous illustrations present the often difficult journey in a way that young readers will enjoy. A great read for Women's History Month.

Themes: Women's history; Perseverance

Ways to use this book with chi
Dolly
Apr 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining and true story about Alice Ramsey's wild ride across the United States...in 1909! I thought it was a fascinating look at the system of maps and roads available at the time and I explained to our girls that this occurred before their great-grandparents were even born.

The story is appropriate for elementary school-age children and it is a good way to share a bit of American history without being boring or overwhelming with details. The illustrations aren't my favorite, but
Lynn
K+. All ages. What a great story!I never heard of Alice Ramsey before reading this book, but this is definitely a story that needs to be shared.

Fascinating look at our country in 1909: the condition and lack of roads; the technology of the automobiles at the time...i.e. headlights that were torches lit my matches! (can you imagine that?), and a top speed of 42 miles an hour; and particularly the dedication and perseverance it took to make this 59 day journey.
Matthew
Another Don Brown gem. I love his biographies of less prominent historical figures. Alice Ramsey sounded like a tough, resilient woman with an iron will and a knack for resourcefulness. This is a great biographical snippet of her life recounting her first trip across the U.S. by automobile. Good details about the car, the trip, the obstacles, and the people who supported her.
Lesley
I'd never heard of Alice Ramsey until recently, so I was glad to be able to read about her cross-country driving adventure in this children's book! I admire Ramsey's sense of adventure and spunkiness; this book made me want to learn more about her and about her trip! I enjoyed the illustrations, too.
Nicole
This picture book tells the story of Alice Ramsey, the first woman to drive across the country. It is a great review of geography, as Alice's route is detailed in the text. This is a fun way to introduce kids to a famous face that they may not have heard of before.
Isela
This book has some wonderful illustrations as Alice travels to different part of the country. The time of the story is in 1909, therefore, I can use this book so children can determine the difference between now and then.
Emily
An interesting account of the first woman to drive across the US. I'm very glad we have decent roads and maps now, and I don't have to drive on railroad tracks.
Kim
Aug 15, 2012 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: TOG
True story of Alice Ramsey's Journey to be the first woman to drive across the country. We found it flat and disappointing.
Finny
Mommy says: Cool bio about a Alice Ramsey's cross country drive a century ago. What a spitfire she must have been!
Amy
Eh - no emotional attachment and really didn't come off as that big of an adventure.
Debra
K-5

Measurement - Distance - Travel across the US
Pioneering Spirit
Beff
Great book to inspire young girls about adventure and dedication.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Ylva
Ylva marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Christine Turner
Christine Turner marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Brian Callaghan
Brian Callaghan marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Meagan Rivera
Meagan Rivera marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
4198059

Don Brown is the award-winning author and illustrator of many picture book biographies. He has been widely praised for his resonant storytelling and his delicate watercolor paintings that evoke the excitement, humor, pain, and joy of lives lived with passion. School Library Journal has called him "a current pac
More about Don Brown...
The Great American Dust Bowl America Is Under Attack: September 11, 2001: The Day the Towers Fell Odd Boy Out: Young Albert Einstein Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank