Start by marking “How to Teach Vocabulary” as Want to Read:
How to Teach Vocabulary

How to Teach Vocabulary (How to Teach...)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The How to!series offers practical teaching ideas within a clear, theoretical framework. Each title includes a photocopiable 'Task File' of training and reflection activities to reinforce the theories and practical ideas presented.
Published April 5th 2002 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about How to Teach Vocabulary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Teach Vocabulary

Megan
Like all the books in the 'How to teach" series, How to teach vocabulary is packed with information and advice.
Cosima
Overall, a very helpful book with a sensible structure and lots of practical ideas for teaching. What I found annoying, though, was the occasional over-simplification of linguistic phenomena as well as the consistent avoidance even of basic linguistic terminology. English teachers should and can be expected to be familiar with the most basic linguistic and grammatical terms, in my humble opinion.
Csaba Berger
Amazing and helpful description of how vocabulary can be taught in language classes. I would actually emphasise the importance of all the exemplary material provided by the author as they were the real representantion of what was described throughout the pages. All the chapters are leading to more complex topics related to vocabulary teaching, culminating in the ultimate chapter where testing and revision are mentioned as the most important component of teaching vocabulary properly. The book and ...more
Osman
Oct 13, 2014 Osman marked it as to-read
really good
yengyeng
I never realised how difficult it was to teach vocabulary until I had to teach it. This book helped.
Nan Suphaphorn
I also do it with myself!! Very useful
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Inga Aj
Inga Aj marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Awalia
Awalia marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Mì Tôm
Mì Tôm marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Sri Fitriani
Sri Fitriani marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Nhi Yến
Nhi Yến marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Rahim Hadj Larbi
Rahim Hadj Larbi is currently reading it
Apr 09, 2015
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Agnes
Agnes marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Goncha Efendiyeva
Goncha Efendiyeva marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Shiva
Shiva marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Mohamed
Mohamed marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Herzul
Herzul marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Zoe Zoezoe
Zoe Zoezoe marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Nurhayati
Nurhayati marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • How Languages Are Learned
  • Learning Teaching (Macmillan Books for Teachers)
  • How to Teach English
  • Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching
  • Approaches and Methods in Language Teaching (Cambridge Language Teaching Library)
  • Five-Minute Activities: A Resource Book of Short Activities
  • Practical English Usage
  • Principles of Language Learning and Teaching
  • Research Methods in Language Learning
  • Grammar for English Language Teachers
  • English as a Global Language
  • Teaching Reading Skills in a Foreign Language (Methodology and Language Teaching Series)
  • Language Myths
  • Getting the Buggers to Behave
  • The Happiness of Blond People: A Personal Meditation on the Dangers of Identity
  • Common Errors in English Usage
  • The Woman Who Borrowed Memories: Selected Stories
  • An Introduction to Sociolinguistics
My name is Scott Thornbury. I'm a teacher and teacher educator, with over 30 years' experience in English language teaching, and an MA from the University of Reading. I am currently Associate Professor of English Language Studies at the New School in New York, where I teach on an on-line MA TESOL program. My previous experience includes teaching and teacher training in Egypt, UK, Spain (where I li ...more
More about Scott Thornbury...

How to Teach... (9 books)
  • How to Teach English
  • How to Teach Grammar
  • How to Teach Listening
  • How to Teach Speaking
  • How to Teach Writing
  • How to Teach Pronunciation
  • How to Teach Business English
  • How to Teach English with Technology
How to Teach Grammar How to Teach Speaking About Language: Tasks for Teachers of English Beyond the Sentence (Macmillan Books for Teachers) An A-Z of ELT (Macmillan Books for Teachers)