Start by marking “Lilith's Dream (Hunger, #3)” as Want to Read:
Lilith's Dream (Hunger, #3)

Lilith's Dream (Hunger #3)

An ancient vampire, beautiful beyond words, a vulnerable young man drawn to her by a power beyond his understanding, two desperate parents searching across the world for the son they love -- these are the riveting, unexpected elements of Whitley Strieber's extraordinary new novel.

Lilith, the ages-old mother of the dying race of vampires, has been forced to come out of he

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 30th 2003 by Pocket Star (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lilith's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilith's Dream

Tess
Aug 27, 2013 Tess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, paranormal, series
meh.
The only good thing I can say about this book is since this is a pre-Twilight vampire novel there are no sparkles!
Maybe I needed to read the others in the series first. I'm having a hard time summing up exactly what was wrong with this novel. First, This story seemed incredibly confusing. Lilith has odd flashbacks to possibly another time, or another world, or both. Leo talks about her previous life before becoming a vampire while she was basically a thrall. Paul and Becky seem to love each
Hertzan Chimera
Feb 22, 2008 Hertzan Chimera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You could never play this movie the way the book is written - the viewing public has seen too much of this sort of cheap-shot denouement in the likes of Men in Black and Bobby Ewing’s series-long shower. You’d have to start the movie WITH the denouement. To fully sate this in a modern cinema-going audience jaded by year after year of blockbuster narrative, the movie of LILITH’S DREAM would have to rip its own narrative balls out in this first scene in that legendary Hall of Mirrors.

Lilith’s Dre
Judah
May 17, 2010 Judah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-paper
(My Half-way-through review)
Ahhhh, where to begin? I want to like this book. I enjoyed both of the previous books for the most part, but this one? Meh.

Normally, I don't get caught up in the inconsistencies in books. I can overlook them and just enjoy the story for what it is. But I'm finding myself increasingly annoyed by Lilith's Dream.

Little things like the fact that Lilith is supposed to have been around since when mammoths roamed the earth, she's supposed to have interacted with humans withi
Sheba
Aug 02, 2011 Sheba rated it liked it
Strieber's efficiency with dialogue both works and doesn't work. It works in the sense that his plot twists generally happen through dialogue, thus the spareness often contains truly unforeseen surprises (an underrated and almost forgotten skill nowadays--twists that you can't see coming a mile away), but it doesn't work in that it's often confusing as to who is speaking and what is actually happening. When the point of view is from a slower perspective the story really flourishes. The opening p ...more
Shaye Lowe
I read this book several years ago. This was one of those books that I just grabbed because the title and book cover caught my eye. I enjoyed this book. It was surprisingly very good. I loved the story and it actually made me google, Lilith. I was amazed in all my years of going to church I had never heard of her. Not surprising though. I like Lilith's story. Just looked it up and I didn't know it was a trilogy and I had read the last one.
Ladiibbug
#3 in this trilogy

Woot! A series completed!

#1 The Hunger & #2 The Last Vampire: I enjoyed 1 & 2 more than #3. Tho written in the '80's (?), The Hunger is a terrific vampire book! Very different, a darker look at the vampire life.

Stephen
I liked it. Not as good as The Hunger, but I think that was because Strieber was working with a larger tapestry here.

If you've got a weekend sometime, this is a better use of your time than TV or mindless internet use.
Lynxie
I think I was missing information because I picked this up without realising it was book 3 of a series. Oh well.
Donna
May 22, 2012 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was alright. Not the best Vampire genre book I've read, but still kept my interest throughout.
Eric Byrnes
Mar 15, 2016 Eric Byrnes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: de-vampyris
This really was a disappointing read; some really, really inane garbage.
Mar 07, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1.5 stars Like most people, I had no idea this was book 3 in a series. It really didn’t encourage me to read the others (although I hear The Hunger is much better.) I wanted to like it, but couldn’t engage with the characters, the plot, or the themes of . . . of what? Humans are stupid food? Vampires are evil human-herders and must be destroyed? This is all a dream? What the hell?

Also, what was up with the flashbacks to another time/place/planet? Were we supposed to gain sympathy for Lilith and
Petra
Sep 19, 2012 Petra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Strieber's first book. The second one was awful. This one is equally bad.
It is hard to believe that the scenes in the book were written by the same person. I completely buy the descriptions of Lilith and her perception of human world. I however hate his *humans*, if they can be called that. The worst dialog ever!
I have this book on My Kindle and after the firth third I had to skip over all of the *human* parts, they did not help with the story development, Paul and Sandy (*snicker*) are
Fiona Shacklehack
Mar 01, 2011 Fiona Shacklehack rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read it to complete the trilogy: it's the last piece in a downwards spiral started by nr. 2. Pity, the Hunger was nice.

Ok, so there are a few nice moments but it's hard to take the book seriously.

Major spoiler: the idea of a prehistoric vampire risen from under a pyramid (with an elongated head [probably from reading every scroll in the hall of records, whoop whoop for mentioning it] but otherwise quite dashing) trying to eat the horny local des(s)ert people whilst driving and shifting a sodde
Michael Vischi
May 27, 2015 Michael Vischi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The last in The Hunger series. It's a little sad to see our beloved Miriam NOT take center stage, and instead introduce Lilith... the biblical Lilith. If The Last Vampire seemed like a different road than The Hunger, then Lilith's Dream is a different highway all together. Still an amazing high-octane read, this third and final act concludes with a lot of satisfaction. Once again Mr. Whitley breathes such life into his characters, it's very easy to find yourself struggling with them... standing ...more
Kristin King
Well written vampire tale with rise of the oldest into the modern world after a long sleep. Her understanding of religious rituals, vehicles, buildings, etc. was very entertaining without robbing the edge of the story.

I had not read the previous two books so was not as invested in the returning characters. A touch too explicit in a couple spots for my taste, the take on vampires, keepers, blood letting, etc. was really well developed and the best part of tale in many ways. The waste of historic
Amy
Dec 16, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
I picked this one up the other day, and I really tried to enjoy it. Fifty pages in, I put it down, and I just can't bring myself to pick it back up. It's just not worth it for me, and life is too short to read books you're not enjoying. Now, I do like to read fluff literature every once in a while. The problem with this one is that the author does not know that he is writing a fluff novel, which makes it no fun. Though this book is not for me, I can see that it might be fun for someone else, so ...more
Wendy Holcombe
I'm giving this book only 2 stars because I don't really remember it. I saw back in one of my post on Live Journal that I was reading it, but I just read the synopsis of it and I barely recall any of it, if a book can't bring back any more of my recall than that it can't be that much of a book.

I'm also surprised to see it's the third in a series and I don't think I read the first two. I've always loved the story of Lilith. It doesn't sound like this is a very good one.
Barbara
Oct 30, 2011 Barbara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires
I was mesmerized by the first chapter and would have recommended the book to everyone if it had lived up to the expectations of that first chapter. Unfortunately it didn't. It starts with this more than ancient vampire waking up without her attendants and trying to make sense of the world and ends with an orgy followed by and all shoot out killing spree.
Still a nice book to read if you look past the inconsistencies but it could have been so much more.
Danielle
Aug 23, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Not since Anne Rice's Interview With a Vampire have I enjoyed a vampire story this much! this is a trilogy, which I didn't know. It is preceded by The Hunger, which was made into a movie, and The Last Vampire. I haven't read them yet, but they are ordered! Cannot wait. If you like vampires, read this, but read the other 2 first. Whitley Strieber is an amazing author.
Tiffany Kramer
I picked this book up without realizing that it was the last in a trilogy. After the first few chapters it wasn't that hard to fallow but I never found myself becoming attached to any of the characters. I recently came across the first book Hunger and plan to give that a read so maybe someday I will revisit this one with a changed perspective.
Rene
Mar 16, 2016 Rene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-want
This was an amazing Whitley Strieber book and one of his perfect endings. I didn't enjoy the 2nd one as much as the first or this one. But this is now one of my favorite books. Don't think I have enjoyed one of his books this much since Forbidden Zone.
Shana
Aug 07, 2013 Shana rated it liked it
It started off really slow for me but it finally picked up. I'm still up in the air about the ending.
Jeremy Vaeni
Mar 16, 2015 Jeremy Vaeni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the trilogy, this one is pure poetry disguised as prose. It's Strieber at his best and completely underrated!
Alex
May 21, 2016 Alex rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Not as good as the last two in the vampire series. Over the top and a touch corny. I enjoy the vampire world and history Strieber has created but the actually story he uses to convey it was weak.
Milk
Milk rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Sat
Sat rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2015
Gelatine
Gelatine rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Alycia Timm
Alycia Timm rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • The Time of Feasting
  • Seduced by Darkness (Dark Realm, #2)
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • Die Gebannte (Die Alchimistin, #3)
  • The Golden
  • FVZA: The Federal Vampire and Zombie Agency
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 4: Bloodsucker Tales
  • Candlenight
  • A Coven of Vampires
  • Vampyrrhic Rites
  • Blood Bank (Vicki Nelson #6)
  • A Fiend In Need
  • The Vampire Vivienne
  • Judastöchter (Kinder des Judas, #3)
  • Dragon Head, Volume 2 (Dragon Head, #2)
  • The Vampire Papers
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t
More about Whitley Strieber...

Hunger (3 books)
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • The Last Vampire (Hunger, #2)