Lilith's Dream (Hunger, #3)

Lilith's Dream (Hunger #3)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  17 reviews

An ancient vampire, beautiful beyond words, a vulnerable young man drawn to her by a power beyond his understanding, two desperate parents searching across the world for the son they love -- these are the riveting, unexpected elements of Whitley Strieber's extraordinary new novel.

Lilith, the ages-old mother of the dying race of vampires, has been forced to come out of he

Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 30th 2003 by Pocket Star (first published October 8th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Lilith's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lilith's Dream

Mike Philbin
You could never play this movie the way the book is written - the viewing public has seen too much of this sort of cheap-shot denouement in the likes of Men in Black and Bobby Ewing’s series-long shower. You’d have to start the movie WITH the denouement. To fully sate this in a modern cinema-going audience jaded by year after year of blockbuster narrative, the movie of LILITH’S DREAM would have to rip its own narrative balls out in this first scene in that legendary Hall of Mirrors.

Lilith’s Dre...more
Tess
meh.
The only good thing I can say about this book is since this is a pre-Twilight vampire novel there are no sparkles!
Maybe I needed to read the others in the series first. I'm having a hard time summing up exactly what was wrong with this novel. First, This story seemed incredibly confusing. Lilith has odd flashbacks to possibly another time, or another world, or both. Leo talks about her previous life before becoming a vampire while she was basically a thrall. Paul and Becky seem to love each...more
Judah
(My Half-way-through review)
Ahhhh, where to begin? I want to like this book. I enjoyed both of the previous books for the most part, but this one? Meh.

Normally, I don't get caught up in the inconsistencies in books. I can overlook them and just enjoy the story for what it is. But I'm finding myself increasingly annoyed by Lilith's Dream.

Little things like the fact that Lilith is supposed to have been around since when mammoths roamed the earth, she's supposed to have interacted with humans withi...more
Sheba
Strieber's efficiency with dialogue both works and doesn't work. It works in the sense that his plot twists generally happen through dialogue, thus the spareness often contains truly unforeseen surprises (an underrated and almost forgotten skill nowadays--twists that you can't see coming a mile away), but it doesn't work in that it's often confusing as to who is speaking and what is actually happening. When the point of view is from a slower perspective the story really flourishes. The opening p...more
Shaye Lowe
I read this book several years ago. This was one of those books that I just grabbed because the title and book cover caught my eye. I enjoyed this book. It was surprisingly very good. I loved the story and it actually made me google, Lilith. I was amazed in all my years of going to church I had never heard of her. Not surprising though. I like Lilith's story. Just looked it up and I didn't know it was a trilogy and I had read the last one.
Ladiibbug
#3 in this trilogy

Woot! A series completed!

#1 The Hunger & #2 The Last Vampire: I enjoyed 1 & 2 more than #3. Tho written in the '80's (?), The Hunger is a terrific vampire book! Very different, a darker look at the vampire life.

Stephen
I liked it. Not as good as The Hunger, but I think that was because Strieber was working with a larger tapestry here.

If you've got a weekend sometime, this is a better use of your time than TV or mindless internet use.
Lynxie
I think I was missing information because I picked this up without realising it was book 3 of a series. Oh well.
Donna
It was alright. Not the best Vampire genre book I've read, but still kept my interest throughout.
Petra
I liked Strieber's first book. The second one was awful. This one is equally bad.
It is hard to believe that the scenes in the book were written by the same person. I completely buy the descriptions of Lilith and her perception of human world. I however hate his *humans*, if they can be called that. The worst dialog ever!
I have this book on My Kindle and after the firth third I had to skip over all of the *human* parts, they did not help with the story development, Paul and Sandy (*snicker*) are...more
Fiona Shacklehack
Read it to complete the trilogy: it's the last piece in a downwards spiral started by nr. 2. Pity, the Hunger was nice.

Ok, so there are a few nice moments but it's hard to take the book seriously.

Major spoiler: the idea of a prehistoric vampire risen from under a pyramid (with an elongated head [probably from reading every scroll in the hall of records, whoop whoop for mentioning it] but otherwise quite dashing) trying to eat the horny local des(s)ert people whilst driving and shifting a sodde...more
Amy
I picked this one up the other day, and I really tried to enjoy it. Fifty pages in, I put it down, and I just can't bring myself to pick it back up. It's just not worth it for me, and life is too short to read books you're not enjoying. Now, I do like to read fluff literature every once in a while. The problem with this one is that the author does not know that he is writing a fluff novel, which makes it no fun. Though this book is not for me, I can see that it might be fun for someone else, so...more
Wendy Holcombe
I'm giving this book only 2 stars because I don't really remember it. I saw back in one of my post on Live Journal that I was reading it, but I just read the synopsis of it and I barely recall any of it, if a book can't bring back any more of my recall than that it can't be that much of a book.

I'm also surprised to see it's the third in a series and I don't think I read the first two. I've always loved the story of Lilith. It doesn't sound like this is a very good one.
Barbara
I was mesmerized by the first chapter and would have recommended the book to everyone if it had lived up to the expectations of that first chapter. Unfortunately it didn't. It starts with this more than ancient vampire waking up without her attendants and trying to make sense of the world and ends with an orgy followed by and all shoot out killing spree.
Still a nice book to read if you look past the inconsistencies but it could have been so much more.
Shana
It started off really slow for me but it finally picked up. I'm still up in the air about the ending.
Sara
Yawn. Try "The Hunger" instead.
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Peter
Peter added it
Aug 15, 2014
Marty Elrod
Marty Elrod marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ann Tucker
Ann Tucker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
OddModicum Rachel
OddModicum Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kemy
Kemy marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • Blood Groove
  • The Golden
  • Voice Of The Blood
  • Darkness Captured (Dark Realm, #4)
  • The Last Vampire: Collector's Edition Volume 1 (The Last Vampire, #1-3)
  • Traveling with the Dead (James Asher, #2)
  • Candlenight
  • Underworld: Blood Enemy (Underworld, #2)
  • The Dark Blood Of Poppies
  • Blood Risk (Tucker Series, #1)
  • The Vampire Papers
  • The Dark Symphony
  • 30 Days of Night, Vol. 5: Three Tales
  • Family Portrait
  • Glutsand (Die Sturmkönige, #3)
  • The World on Blood
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night
American writer best known for his horror novels The Wolfen and The Hunger and for Communion, a non-fiction description of his experiences with apparent alien contact. He has recently made significant advances in understanding this phenomenon, and has published his new discoveries in Solving the Communion Enigma.

Strieber also co-authored The Coming Global Superstorm with Art Bell, which inspired t...more
More about Whitley Strieber...
The Wolfen Communion: A True Story The Hunger (Hunger, #1) Warday 2012: The War For Souls