Start by marking “Time At The Top” as Want to Read:
Time At The Top

Time At The Top (Time at the Top #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Illustrations by Peggie Bach.
There is a sequel: All in Good Time.
Published 1963 by Parnassus Press

To ask other readers questions about Time At The Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time At The Top

Lisa Vegan
I loved this book. It’s about an intelligent, imaginative, dramatic, kindhearted, and resourceful New York girl named Susan and her adventures “at the top” This takes place in New York in the early 1960s and goes back about 100 years. It’s an adventure tale for girls. Interesting that in the early 60s the author and Susan were talking about how the pace of life was too fast and there seemed to be longing to long ago more peaceful times. This is a fun read and I’ve read it many times. One of my f ...more
Kathryn
Aug 30, 2012 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan
A charming, breezy read perfect for a summer's afternoon. Here is the story of Susan Shaw, a tween in the early 1960s, utterly disgruntled with just about every aspect of her life (except her dear father). Susan has a penchant for acting and a yearning for something more interesting than taking a chorus role in the school play and waking up to the annoying blare of the neighbor's television every morning, and her imagination runs wild when an old woman promises her "Three" (three what, though?) ...more
Monica!
Fresh off of a YA book where the author self-inserts himself into the narrative in a smug and obnoxious way comes a YA book where the author self-inserts himself into the narrative in an adorable way that made me want to fist pump and leap for joy and shriek, “This, obnoxious authors, this is how you avoid sounding like a tool!”

I love Edward Ormondroyd.

And I love this book.

It’s yet another one I wish I’d read when I was more age-appropriate, but even as a sort of adult it was epic.

Susan-Shaw
Melody
Warm and fun, this tale of a time-traveling girl and the adventures she has in the past is set off brilliantly by the author's wry presence as a character. Delightful.
Margaret
I discovered Edward Ormondroyd's charming time travel fantasies, Time at the Top and All in Good Time, years ago when I was eight or nine; then I forgot about them for a long time until I happened upon a used copy of the first book (leading me on a long search for the second, which was much harder to track down). Upon rereading them for the first time in a few years, I find that they still hold up very well. Susan Shaw is having a bad day, but when she stops to help an elderly woman with her fly ...more
I read this book some thirty years ago in elementary school and it lit a spark inside of me about time travel that has yet to die. Since then, I have read this book with my children ( six of them ) who have all enjoyed it.
Ginny Messina
A great tale of time-travel, brilliantly and amusingly told by the author, who places himself as a character in the story. I loved the ending. Nice illustrations, too!
Tej
I got attracted to reading this book while deriving a list of Books that have been adapted into movies for our latest monthly Time Travel book club group.

I love a good children's time travel tale of which my all time favourite is the utterly enchanting classic, Tom's Midnight Garden.

While this 1960 novel is not quite in the league of the aforementioned classic, it is nevertheless a deliciously charming and eloquently narrated time travel adventure filled with warmth, humour and a very engaging
CLM
I believe this wonderful story about Susan, who time travels via a falling apart elevator, is back in print. Try to find a copy!
Bhan13
Enjoyed by a 6 and 12-year-old as a fast read-aloud, I liked it a lot when I first read it as a child.
Ms. Yingling
This 40th anniversary edition tells the tale of Susan Shaw, who lives in an apartment building with her widowed father. When she goes missing, the whole complex is thrown into a tizzy, and it's not an better when a note appears in Susan's handwriting, telling her father not to worry, and that she will be home soon. After meeting and helping a strange old lady on the street, Susan has been able to travel from 1960 back to 1881, and has met a very nice family. Victoria and Robert are at first take ...more
Terri Lynn
I truly love this charming book. Originally published in 1963 and including the author as a character (a non-intrusive one, an interested neighbor), this book was republished in 2003.

The story begins on a blustery winter afternoon when Susan Shaw is headed home to the apartment she shares with her widowed dad. An odd encounter with a mysterious older lady on the street leads to adventure when she is given "three" as a reward for helping the strange woman. Three turns out to be the number of time
Matthew Gatheringwater
Oddly enough, I've read far more children's books as an adult than I have as a child. As a young person, I was offended by the very idea of a children's book or a special part of the library for children. I was a Reader and I didn't want any babyish books, thank you very much. The idea that the best children's books (and, indeed, the best books of any genre) can transcend their target audience and be enjoyed by all sorts of readers had not yet impressed itself upon me.

Still, children's books are
Starry
I'm wondering why I had never heard of this darling little book! It was published in 1963, and our library system shelves it under Sci-Fi, rather than Young Adult, and the cover on the library edition is a mustard yellow with a tiny picture of 3 children dressed in old-fashioned clothing. Hmm, this book needs to be better marketed and shelved?

I loved the author's voice and style. And I like that he plays himself, a writer living in the same apartment building as the main character. He takes an i
Kristi Lamont
Read this because I'm on a mission to rediscover a book about time travel/ghosts that made a huge impact me when I was in either fourth or fifth grade. The concept of the book I'm seeking is that time is always happening -- past, present and future -- in a circle, and you can meet yourself at some point on that circle. It was fairly deep for the age group for which it was written. Alas, this was not that book. But it was a pleasant little read.
Rebecca
I read this some years ago and remembered it particularly for the unusual ending--very unlike most time-travel books for children, and I appreciated the difference. It was the ending that, as a child, I would certainly have chosen for the book, though of course as an adult I can see all the issues! But the book was not intended for me, so it's pointless to comment on those.

I will take a bit of issue with how the book was written, though--my last writing teacher would have flayed me for doing it
LemontreeLime
This was sweet, with a plot centered on wish fulfillment via a time traveling elevator. I personally liked the description of Sarah's mysterious windswept 'gypsy witch' best of all, even more than the following adventures.
Susan
Recommended by my boss who just bought the 40th anniversary copy for the library...a really charming book, a fun read, with really nice moments like when Susan (love main characters named Susan) is back in time and seeing the country sky full of stars in a way she has never seen them before and realizes that the night sky is actually making the same kind of sound a seashell makes ...good stuff.
The fact that the present time is the 1980's in the story did not detract for me, but did give me the s
Rd
I read this book when I was in the 4th grade. I still remember it being one of the best books I ever read - nearly 40 years later. I might just read it again!
Stacey
I LOVED this book when I was a kid. And every several years or so, I remember it fondly and want to read it again.
Michelle
Just fantastic! Susan from the 1960s finds herself in the 1880s...wonderful characters!
Kenyan
the girl who travels in time. hot chocolate with a skin.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2007 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like kid's books
Shelves: childrensbooks
Sweet little book that I picked up for a dollar at a used book store. It has great drawings in it, and the story is simple and involves: time travel, costumes, buried treasure, romance and tomfoolery (they trick the money-hungry suitor into packing up and leaving by pretending the recently widowed mother has just lost her fortune to a confidence man AND has smallpox... Need I say more?). A very quick read—it took me a lazy afternoon.
Shonna Froebel
40th Anniversary edition.
Not bad kid's book about time travel from 1960 back to 1881.
Meghan W
I didn't read this until I had seen the movie over and over and over again about a hundred times during my childhood. So of course there were differences, and since I was so young, I liked the movie better than the book because I'd seen the movie first. However, the plot is still compelling and enjoyable and the ending still had be wishing I could time travel. A must read for all little girls!
Joanna
I read this as a child from the elemetary school's library and re-read it 2-3 years ago. It must have some staying power. Great time travel story of a lonely girl and father who find happiness in the past as they travel up their apartment bulding's elevator to another time.
Cara
Time at the Top would have been better if I was younger. The basic premise was a girl rides the elevator in her building to another time. While back in time she meets a girl who needs her help, and makes a new friend. Cute story.
Ellice
Cute book about a girl from the 1960s who inadvertently travels back in time to the 1880s. Well written and surprisingly modern for a 50-year-old tale. Also has an interesting and satisfying ending.
Joanne Moyer
I'm pretty sure this is the book that started my love of time travel stories -- I remember getting it from the Book Mobile one summer and reading it in my backyard. It's still one of my all time favorites.
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • The Ghosts
  • Shadow Castle
  • No Flying in the House
  • The Juniper Game
  • The Keeping Days (Keeping Days, #1)
  • Octagon Magic (The Magic Series, #2)
  • The Velvet Room
  • The House of Arden (Fabian Time Fantasies, #1)
Edward Ormondroyd grew up in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, and Ann Arbor, Michigan. During WWII he served onboard a destroyer escort, participating in the invasions of Okinawa and Iwo Jima.

After the war he attended the University of California at Berkeley, where he received a bachelor's degree in English. Later he went back for a master's degree in library science.

He lived in Berkeley for 25 years, wo
More about Edward Ormondroyd...

Time at the Top (2 books)
  • All in Good Time
David and the Phoenix All in Good Time Theodore: The Adventures of a Smudgy Bear Castaways on Long Ago Time at the Top and All in Good Time: Two Novels