Start by marking “A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense” as Want to Read:
A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense

A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense (Nonsense Books #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  813 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
The owls, hen, larks, and their nests in his beard, are among the fey fauna and peculiar persons inhabiting the uniquely inspired nonsense rhymes and drawings of Lear (20th child of a London stockbroker), whose Book of Nonsense, first published in 1846, stands alone as the ultimate and most loved expression in English of freewheeling, benign, and unconstricted merriment.
Published November 3rd 1992 by Everyman's Library (first published 1846)

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Book of Nonsense - More Nonsense

Manny
I grew up reading A Book of Nonsense, which left me with a permanent weakness for limericks. (It's possible that there were other side-effects too). Here's my favourite Lear:
There was an old man of Thermopylae
Who never did anything properly
But they said, if you choose
To boil eggs in your shoes
You will never remain in Thermopylae!
I'm afraid I kept thinking of this all the way through 300, which did rather take the edge off it. Though to be honest, the art of the limerick has advanced significantl
Anwesha
Apr 17, 2014 Anwesha rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Took away 2 stars because contrary to the title of the book, some verses actually made sense!
Mike Jensen
Apr 03, 2011 Mike Jensen rated it did not like it
I marvel that so many venerate this book of (mostly) limericks for children. Lear deserves credit for inventing the form, but only 2 or 3 are satisfying. Most repeat most of the first line in the last, making the rhyme unsatisfying, most make no logical sense, most are pointless, and none are cute, clever, or even interesting. Lear's own line drawings are inept, and do not charm me. Lear has a cult following who, like Ruskin, venerate his work. I wonder why.
Emily
Mar 21, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it
Fun collection of limericks originally published in 1846. I think the combination of nonsense verse with Lear's appropriately silly illustrations is what really makes this book fun.

I was able to read this online at http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/BoN/i...
Christiana Hadji

There was a Young Lady whose nose,
Was so long that it reached to her toes;
So she hired an Old Lady,
Whose conduct was steady,
To carry that wonderful nose.

Πάντα ήθελα να διαβάσω ένα βιβλίο με limericks (σύντομα σατυρικά ποιήματα πέντε στροφών). Ο Edward Lear (1812-1888) ήταν Άγγλος ποιητής και σκιτσογράφος, και ο πρώτος που καθιέρωσε αυτή τη μορφή ποιημάτων, τα οποία ήταν τρομερά δημοφιλή στην εποχή του. Όπως λέει και ο τίτλος, τα ποιηματάκια αυτά δεν βγάζουν κανένα απολύτως νόημα, και σίγουρα θα
Patrick\
May 05, 2008 Patrick\ rated it really liked it
"Far and few, far and few/ Are the lands where the Jumblies live/ Their hands are green and their heads are blue/

And they went to sea in a sieve."

Probably wrong a bit here and there, but it's what I remember. I believe an intelligent, educated, wry mind works this way on opium.

"And when the sieve went round and round/ And everyone shouted, 'You'll all be drowned!' ... "

Well, it's for you to pick this gem of a book up and read it. A pleasurable diversion from serious stuff - unless you're a ni
Ammar
Jan 17, 2013 Ammar rated it did not like it
I was walking around in the library with no set destination when I came across this book, the title was (as is evident) most interesting; a writer who can write a book and call it nonsense must be special indeed.
Later...
"WTF did I just read?"
This is significant because even in internal monologue, I rarely ever resort to vulgarity, even in abbreviated forms.
A more suitable title to this book could never exist.
I should give this 5 stars, but it's improbable that the shock value was intended, so I'
A
Jun 13, 2012 A rated it did not like it
Appropriately titled.
Mona
Apr 28, 2012 Mona rated it did not like it
I thought it was nonsense.
Charles
Aug 15, 2011 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gift
fabulous.
Samantha Meyer
Mar 03, 2012 Samantha Meyer rated it liked it
Shelves: eced-221
A Book of Nonsense by Edward Lear is the comical collection of short poems about various characters. Some of my favorites were the "Old Man of Bohemia" the "Young Lady of Tyre" and the "Old man of the West." These short four line poems are very funny and involve tons of intersting people and creatures.
The rhymes in this book are very good in my opinion. The verse flows seamlessly and is very consistent throughout all of the poems. All of the individual poems are 4 lines which provides a steady r
Aureilia
Nov 06, 2013 Aureilia rated it it was ok
Book of Nonsense, originally published in 1846, is a book of short poems aimed at readers of primary to intermediate reading levels ages 6-12. I would say the average child today that could understand this book would be at least 10 years old. Words like auricular, horrid, perpetually, ass, and irascible are sophisticated vocabulary that are not only mature for kids but are foreign to most adults. On the other hand the illustrations the book provided can be interpreted well by younger readers. Le ...more
Cara
This book is definitely as advertised: "nonsense", just really silly things. I didn't know much about Edward Lear when I stumbled across this, but as a whole it was fine. While a little monotonous, they're cute little limericks and did make for a pleasant, quick read. Lear was actually a really interesting guy, with a unique history and background—so for being able to learn about him, I'm glad I came across this book; it was worth the read.
Douglas Dalrymple
Jan 04, 2013 Douglas Dalrymple rated it really liked it
What an oversight! I’ve apparently never mentioned Edward Lear before, but he’s a fixture at home, a favorite with parents and children alike. Since my son could write and rhyme, he’s been making his own limericks and illustrations in the style of Mr Lear. At every meeting of the Dalrymple Family Book Club, someone invariably reads from Edward Lear’s nonsense poems and stories.

Lear’s limericks are wonderful, of course, but so are his longer pieces. There’s the famous Owl and the Pussycat, of cou
Liz Cee
Dec 02, 2014 Liz Cee rated it it was amazing
This book brought back such wonderful memories, as I remember my late father reading them to me. I listened to them in the car with my twenty year old daughter and we were laughing so hard, I had to pull over. Despite some of the very dated prose, this is a treasure.
Renee
Dec 05, 2015 Renee rated it really liked it
I meant to read one poem a day, but instead made it through the whole book in 2 days. Oops... I guess that means more poetry to discover?

These were fun, cute little poems. I think this would have been great in an illustrated format - i guess that is one drawback with the library e-books.
Eric
Oct 16, 2012 Eric rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was very young around 9-12, around the same time I first read Andersen's fairy tales (the original, with The Marsh King's Daughter being my favorite), Kipling, and Carroll. Like the other books mentioned, I read it from a hardbound pleasantly yellowed-with-age copy complete with the original illustrations.

Yes, the limericks neither have the cleverness nor the inventiveness of Carroll's works. Most people will certainly not enjoy it if they read it as adults the first time, bec
Alexander Lisovsky
маленькие английские стихи о животных и об авторе; "поэзия бессмыслицы"
Mariana Ferreira
Mar 11, 2014 Mariana Ferreira rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As silly and sweet and crazy and nonsensical as life can be.
Brianna Crall
Jun 30, 2015 Brianna Crall rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Can't wait to share with students.
Andrea Salcedo
Feb 13, 2013 Andrea Salcedo rated it liked it
The book of Nonsense
By: Edward Lear
Recommended age groups: 5-9

The book of Nonsense was definitely a fitting title. This was all nonsense. They are short poems of about 5 lines and they generally speak of a made up person and find almost any word that describes it to rhyme with it. At certain points it seems as though they are making up words just to make it rhyme.

I found it to be confusing as to why this would even be published but then I think its goes to show children that they can make thing
CaroleHeidi
Dec 02, 2012 CaroleHeidi rated it it was ok
I know this was supposed to be nonsensical but some of it was ridiculous.

A book of limericks is never going to be full of literary genius, but a lot of them seemed to be desperate attempts to make the rhyming pattern based only loosely on the opening line of each poem.

Also, it featured several instances of a pet hate of mine – ‘rhyming’ two words just because they are spelled the same. ‘Prague’ and ‘vague’ do not sound the same, regardless of the letter patterns they share.

Some were good, lots
Charles Cornell
Mar 17, 2012 Charles Cornell rated it really liked it
I read this when I was very young and didn't truly appreciate the influence it had on me until much later in life. I still have my original copy (dated in the sixties) and I treasure it. Like so many classics, it requires a dwell time with its readers... it matures with you like a fine wine - once its messages are properly decanted and its aroma sampled, its taste on the pallette can be fully savored. It needs to be read when you are young, put away while life immerses you, and then read again w ...more
Valia
Natalie
Nov 30, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Natalie by: NEH Classics list
Shelves: childrens-books
This book didn't appeal to me. I've read a little of the history of the book and know that it was such a popular one with youth in its day -- the children would laugh uproariously at the rhymes and the pictures. Some were a stretch of the imagination and funny, others must have been funny if one knew the events of the day. I can imagine that it definitely established both the limerick and that imaginative nonsense appeals to children.
Ashley
Jun 20, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
This book was adorable I really liked it and it was really funny even though I was just like this is kind of stupid but it was cute. I read it to some of my little cousins and they loved it too because it was just so random. I recommend this book to anybody that just wants a good laugh, it feels like something I would write in writing arts class on a free write because all my free writes are just so random and confusing.
Kay
I can't recall when I first read Edward Lear... though of course from childhood on I'd heard The Owl and the Pussycat and other verses. There is something so endearing in Lear, so innocent and yet sly at the same time. I find nonsense verse extremely comforting, and the verse and illustrations of Edward Lear in particular to be a touchstone.

Scott Harris
Mar 07, 2012 Scott Harris rated it really liked it
Lear's collection of little limericks is fun and strange, if not somewhat repetitive. His tendency to reuse the first rhyming word in the last verse made the endings a little less fun and creative, but given the sheer number of them, still impressive. It is very interesting that he wrote these for the young people in his family as a gift.
Dan
Apr 02, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Before Dr. Seuss, there was Edward Lear, writing his (G-rated) limericks and poems about apple pie. Simple nursery rhyme stuff, and more about the music of the English language than about event or character. “Type A” personalities will probably find it frustrating.
  • Haunted House
  • The Magic Fishbone
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Hodja fra Pjort
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
  • Myth Ritual and Religion Volume 1
  • Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)
  • Fungus the Bogeyman
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Beegu
Edward Lear was an English artist, illustrator and writer known for his literary nonsense, in poetry and prose, and especially his limericks, a form which he popularized.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/edward-lear

More about Edward Lear...

Nonsense Books (4 books)
  • Nonsense Songs
  • More Nonsense
  • Laughable Lyrics

“nonsense pictures There was a Young Lady of Troy, Whom several large flies did annoy; Some she killed” 0 likes
“Young Lady of Hull, Who was chased by a” 0 likes