Start by marking “Book of Common Prayer” as Want to Read:
Book of Common Prayer

Book of Common Prayer

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  442 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The Oxford Book of Common Prayer, Economy Edition is a beautifully constructed and reasonably-priced prayer book, making it a perfect choice for wide distribution in schools and for use as a pew prayer book.
All Oxford Prayer Books are bound with the same attention to detail and commitment to quality that have made Oxford Bibles famous the world over. The Economy Edition i
Leather Bound, 1979 economy, 1056 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Book of Common Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Common Prayer

Bcoghill Coghill
Jul 09, 2015 Bcoghill Coghill rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bcoghill by: My mom
Shelves: religion
350 years and going strong. I read the Evening Prayer most nights. It comes on my Kindle in a blog with lessons included. Makes flipping thru your bible obsolete.
My Kindle has the read text feature. I listen to "The Daily Office" blog many evening of the week as I lie in bed waiting for sleep. The words of Evening or Morning Prayer are the last words I hear by the Vesper Light.
RF
My spiritual home is the orthodox Anglican church - this is the tradition that taught me about liturgy and beauty and orthodox faith (I am not touching on all the other complicated politics of this right now!) I am very fond of my personal size BCP - I find prayer hard, and the BCP shapes my words. If you don't already have one - I recommend you acquire one!
the words in this book have shaped the very fabric of who I am...
Andy Mitchell
I am what you could label a devout Christian. But I didn't grow up in a liturgical tradition.

This book contains an introduction to the liturgy of the Episcopal Church. It is complicated to use this book for personal, devotional use.

I plan to use http://www.bookofcommonprayer.net/ind... --based upon this book and the NKJV--as I develop the discipline of reading the daily office and weekly lectionary.
Jacob Andrews
There's a mistake in the listing: this is the liturgy of the Episcopal Church in the USA, not the Church of England.

This is my church's standard liturgy. I use it when I lead services at a local nursing home. I prefer the older prayer books (stronger language, stronger theology), but the greater variety of services in the '79 book is helpful; and the more basic language is good for some contexts.
wes Goertzen
Oct 13, 2008 wes Goertzen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wonders what and for what they ought to pray
Recommended to wes by: uncle ben and drew
besides the nice little leather cover and the two book marks (genius) this is a great, great book of prayer. I mean where else to you get all kinds of subversive scripture options placed in the morning and evening prayers. Each and every day. I was rather confused by the whole thing the first time i went to Grace Episcopal in Siloam Springs but now, years later, i really love this book.
Karen L.
This is what I use for my daily morning prayer, mostly for the daily office reading and beautiful collects. My husband and I also enjoy the Sunday lectionary readings of scripture which prepare us for worship on Sunday. We attend a mid week lectionary Bible study. The BOCP contains readings from the psalms, old testament, gospel, and an epistle: a very nice balance.
Jean Grant
The layout and design of this book is superb. I bought it more for this than for the content--although the language is beautiful. Makes Christianity seem dated but alluring.
Robert
This book was presented to me by Fr. Kahl on 31 August 1980 as gratitude for my service as an alter boy at the church. My tenure was ending as I was off to prep school.
Cameron
Dec 05, 2007 Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Episcopalians
Shelves: religion
Mine has become quite worn from the weekly trips to and from church. But there is some deep pleasure in having my own prayer book to hold onto and use during services.
Mary Narkiewicz
I use this book of prayers every week when attending the Episcopal service on Sunday. A treasure trove.
Karen L.
I like this version. It says it like it is! Orthodox! I'd like to look at the one from the 1600's
Morris Nelms
Read parts of this to my father on his death bed. Love it.
Mary
Got a lot of inspiration from this lovely book.
Paul Beighley
classic resource for all Christians
Jabbott
What do I need to say?
Krisha Newham
Krisha Newham marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Elsie Shipman
Elsie Shipman marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • In The Spirit of Happiness: A Book of Spiritual Wisdom
  • The Peaceable Kingdom: A Primer In Christian Ethics
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer (v. 1)
  • Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • For All the Saints: Remembering the Christians Departed
  • Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers: Focusing Concern and Action
  • Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • Given for You: Reclaiming Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper
  • The Love of Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture
  • The Scandal of the Incarnation: Irenaeus Against the Heresies
  • Cassell's Latin Dictionary: Latin-English, English-Latin
The Book of Common Prayer and Administration of the Sacraments and Other Rites and Ceremonies of the Church An Order for Compline The Book of Common Prayer Daily Office Book: Two-Volume Set Episcopal Book of Common Prayer Burgundy Imitation Leather

“This Proper is always used on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday O God, who before the passion of thy only-begotten Son didst reveal his glory upon the holy mount: Grant unto us that we, beholding by faith the light of his countenance, may be strengthened to bear our cross, and be changed into his likeness from glory to glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.” 0 likes
“{p. 166} Ash Wednesday The Proper Liturgy for this day is on page 264. Almighty and everlasting God, who hatest nothing that thou hast made and dost forgive the sins of all those who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of thee, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.” 0 likes