Start by marking “Book of Common Prayer” as Want to Read:
Book of Common Prayer

Book of Common Prayer

4.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  498 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The Oxford Book of Common Prayer, Economy Edition is a beautifully constructed and reasonably-priced prayer book, making it a perfect choice for wide distribution in schools and for use as a pew prayer book.
All Oxford Prayer Books are bound with the same attention to detail and commitment to quality that have made Oxford Bibles famous the world over. The Economy Edition i
Leather Bound, 1979 economy, 1056 pages
Published February 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA

To ask other readers questions about Book of Common Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Common Prayer

Bcoghill Coghill
Jul 09, 2015 Bcoghill Coghill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Bcoghill by: My mom
Shelves: religion
350 years and going strong. I read the Evening Prayer most nights. It comes on my Kindle in a blog with lessons included. Makes flipping thru your bible obsolete.
My Kindle has the read text feature. I listen to "The Daily Office" blog many evening of the week as I lie in bed waiting for sleep. The words of Evening or Morning Prayer are the last words I hear by the Vesper Light.
RF
Jan 19, 2008 RF rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
My spiritual home is the orthodox Anglican church - this is the tradition that taught me about liturgy and beauty and orthodox faith (I am not touching on all the other complicated politics of this right now!) I am very fond of my personal size BCP - I find prayer hard, and the BCP shapes my words. If you don't already have one - I recommend you acquire one!
Aug 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: episcopal
the words in this book have shaped the very fabric of who I am...
Cameron
Dec 05, 2007 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Episcopalians
Shelves: religion
Mine has become quite worn from the weekly trips to and from church. But there is some deep pleasure in having my own prayer book to hold onto and use during services.
Morris Nelms
Jun 08, 2011 Morris Nelms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read parts of this to my father on his death bed. Love it.
Paul Beighley
classic resource for all Christians
Melissa
Oct 26, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't really read the whole thing.... but many beautiful set prayers, the compline service and prayers before bed are lovely.
Andy Mitchell
I am what you could label a devout Christian. But I didn't grow up in a liturgical tradition.

This book contains an introduction to the liturgy of the Episcopal Church. It is complicated to use this book for personal, devotional use.

I plan to use http://www.bookofcommonprayer.net/ind... --based upon this book and the NKJV--as I develop the discipline of reading the daily office and weekly lectionary.
Jacob Andrews
Apr 08, 2011 Jacob Andrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a mistake in the listing: this is the liturgy of the Episcopal Church in the USA, not the Church of England.

This is my church's standard liturgy. I use it when I lead services at a local nursing home. I prefer the older prayer books (stronger language, stronger theology), but the greater variety of services in the '79 book is helpful; and the more basic language is good for some contexts.
wes Goertzen
Oct 13, 2008 wes Goertzen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wonders what and for what they ought to pray
Recommended to wes by: uncle ben and drew
besides the nice little leather cover and the two book marks (genius) this is a great, great book of prayer. I mean where else to you get all kinds of subversive scripture options placed in the morning and evening prayers. Each and every day. I was rather confused by the whole thing the first time i went to Grace Episcopal in Siloam Springs but now, years later, i really love this book.
Karen L.
Mar 12, 2008 Karen L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
This is what I use for my daily morning prayer, mostly for the daily office reading and beautiful collects. My husband and I also enjoy the Sunday lectionary readings of scripture which prepare us for worship on Sunday. We attend a mid week lectionary Bible study. The BOCP contains readings from the psalms, old testament, gospel, and an epistle: a very nice balance.
Jean Grant
Feb 22, 2011 Jean Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
The layout and design of this book is superb. I bought it more for this than for the content--although the language is beautiful. Makes Christianity seem dated but alluring.
Robert
Nov 09, 2014 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was presented to me by Fr. Kahl on 31 August 1980 as gratitude for my service as an alter boy at the church. My tenure was ending as I was off to prep school.
Mary Narkiewicz
Jan 30, 2014 Mary Narkiewicz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I use this book of prayers every week when attending the Episcopal service on Sunday. A treasure trove.
Karen L.
Apr 02, 2008 Karen L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this version. It says it like it is! Orthodox! I'd like to look at the one from the 1600's
Mary
Apr 18, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got a lot of inspiration from this lovely book.
Jabbott
Feb 12, 2009 Jabbott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What do I need to say?
Samantha Shaffer
Samantha Shaffer is currently reading it
Feb 06, 2016
Howard Parsons
Howard Parsons marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Ashley
Ashley added it
Feb 02, 2016
Josh F
Josh F marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Abigail Tomlinson
Abigail Tomlinson marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer, Volume 1 of 3
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • Cassell's Latin Dictionary: Latin-English, English-Latin
  • The Philokalia, Volume 4: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • Welcome to the Episcopal Church: An Introduction to Its History, Faith, and Worship
  • Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament
  • The Greek New Testament/Dictionary
  • Historical Theology
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • For All the Saints: Remembering the Christians Departed
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • The Rule of Benedict: Insights for the Ages
  • The Love of Learning and the Desire for God: A Study of Monastic Culture

“For Sleep O heavenly Father, you give your children sleep for the refreshing of soul and body: Grant me this gift, I pray; keep me in that perfect peace which you have promised to those whose minds are fixed on you; and give me such a sense of your presence, that in the hours of silence I may enjoy the blessed assurance of your love; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.   In the Morning This is another day, O Lord. I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be. If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely. If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly. If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently. And if I am to do nothing, let me do it gallantly. Make these words more than words, and give me the Spirit of Jesus. Amen.” 4 likes
“This Proper is always used on the Sunday before Ash Wednesday O God, who before the passion of thy only-begotten Son didst reveal his glory upon the holy mount: Grant unto us that we, beholding by faith the light of his countenance, may be strengthened to bear our cross, and be changed into his likeness from glory to glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.” 0 likes