Start by marking “Year's Happy Ending” as Want to Read:
Year's Happy Ending

Year's Happy Ending

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Professor Gideon Beaufort tried Deborah's good nature severely. He scorned her future as a trained nanny, spending her life caring for "other" people's children. But was "his" proposal any more enticing? All he wanted was a substitute mother for his young daughter and nothing more--apparently he'd forgotten how to love!Perhaps the exotic skies of Portugal's Algarve and a n ...more
Paperback, The Best of Betty Neels, 184 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by Harlequin (first published July 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Year's Happy Ending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Happy Ending

Jane Night
Full review available on my blog:

I have to be fair and start out by saying that this book was written before I was born. In it’s time it was probably a pretty great book and Betty Neels was probably a really well respected author. If she hadn’t been I imagine Harlequin would not have put out a “The Best of Betty Neels” series after the author died in 2001 (I was in high school).

The book had an old plot which is one of my favorites. Man marries woman becaus
Nell
Another one of Betty's best reads. Nice, nostalgic and very sweet.
Barbara
I think this one is remembered more for the fact that there are NO doctors or nurses on the scene--none at all. She's a certified nanny (not merely a mother's help/au pair type) and he's an economics whiz-bang, often advises the Ministry(i.e., government)and lectures and writes. etc., blah, blah.
This is one of Betty's standard Marriage of Convenience plots--he has a daughter who needs a mother.
Good ole' Gideon is really very unlikable for most of the book. Our heroine, for reasons known only to
Clarissa
Betty Neels. I bless my mom for having any number of Betty Neels books stashed behind her bed while growing up. Sometimes you just NEED an old-fashioned, sappy, sigh with longing (not lust), the good girl wins because she is the good girl, love story. Her plots are pretty much all the same. Sometimes the heroine is a looker, sometimes not so much. Sometimes the leading man is a prominent doctor, sometimes he's a professor. But they ultimately follow the same story of the characters meeting by ch ...more
Pamela Shropshire
Deborah Farley is a trained nanny. She meets Gideon Beaufort, an economist, who is the brother of her temporary employer, Peggy Burns. Gideon is a widower and has a 10 year old daughter, Eleanor. Gideon proposes a MOC to Deborah; she refuses repeatedly, until she has her DR.

Gideon is alternately cold and distant and warm and teasing. He brings friends home for a weekend house party including old flame, Lady Barbara Inge.

Deborah is the usual sensible, loving but not lovely, BN heroine. It's har
Helen Manning
Classic Betty Neels. Yes she is predictable but always satisfying.
Kandace Durbin
it was a good book
Patricia Solla
Once again a dry romance and dramatic settings and locations. The storyline has the strong male. What starts out to be a marriage of conveinance turns into true love. The female in this story has a very interesting occupation. Liked the character descriptions in this book of the uppercrust of society and their foibles.
Marnie
Apr 04, 2011 Marnie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I was a quick simple read. A bit of a departure for Betty... no doctors or nurses, but instead a Economist and a Nanny :) Nice for a change. Wasn't crazy about the characters at the beginning... they both seemed distant and crabby, but they grew on me eventually... and they lived happily ever after (sigh). :)
Lily Lamb
...sigh....another cute innocent romance from Betty Neals...it was a nice change that our hero was not Dutch and a doctor. ;)
Amber
Holy shit, he was neither Dutch nor a doctor!
Allison
The books always end so quickly.
jingles
Harlequin Romance #2692
Amara
Amara marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Sidonia
Sidonia marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Alice
Alice added it
May 18, 2015
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Sofia Tirabassi
Sofia Tirabassi marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Rini
Rini added it
Apr 25, 2015
Shamina Masaji
Shamina Masaji marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Joelle.bcn
Joelle.bcn marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years, which stood her in good stead for the tribulations to come with the Second World War. She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and State Cert ...more
More about Betty Neels...
An Old-Fashioned Girl The Quiet Professor Cassandra by Chance A Girl In a Million (The Best of Betty Neels) Winter Wedding