Start by marking “Glee: The Beginning: An Original Novel” as Want to Read:
Glee: The Beginning: An Original Novel

Glee: The Beginning: An Original Novel (Glee #1)

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,532 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Calling all Gleeks!

Get more of your favorite characters in this official Glee prequel!

All great performances deserve a warm-up! Enroll early at McKinley High--before New Directions was even a glimmer in Mr. Schuester's eye. When did Rachel first decide Finn was more than just a jock? When did Puck and Quinn start their secret romance? And how did the fledgling Glee Club f
Published August 3rd 2010 by Poppy (first published August 1st 2010)

Jolo Manansala
Apr 27, 2011 Jolo Manansala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me first start by saying I am a total Gleek. I am in love with Glee and everything about it. Which is why I feel guilty about this review.

I just felt that was needed before I start writing this.

The book sucked. Why did I even read this in the first place? Oh, it was because my friend got this for me for Christmas and I felt guilty not reading it (it DOES cost a lot here in the Philippines). I knew because of people from Tumblr before hand that it was bad, but I didn't think it would be that
Promising premise but the writing style got on my nerves.

DNF at page 55.
Jul 29, 2010 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv-series-novel
Glee: The Beginning is a short, fun read chronicling the events of McKinley High before Mr Schuester takes over Glee Club. The book starts off with Rachel Berry, resident over-achiever and know-it-all, being asked by Kurt to join Glee. After much deliberation, Rachel agrees to join, and the rest of the novel concentrates on the difficulties the members of the Glee Club have trying to avoid humiliation and gain acceptance from their peers and the “popular crowd”. Along the way, slushies are tosse ...more
2 Spooky Sarah
Basic writing and contained everything I hate about Glee then magnified it - I can't bloody stand Rachel, Quinn, or Finn and yet there they are with the book's focus firmly on them; as usual, the minority characters are more after thoughts - they don't even get to be on the front cover or on any of the giveaway posters! Plus, everything in the book contradicts how the Glee Club actually started as seen in the pilot - and last time I checked, the pilot was still bloody canon. Even the most hardco ...more
Jan 20, 2011 Zooey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hoarders collecting crap books
I can be very short about this one: it was awful. It doesn't often happen to me that I feel the urge to get myself a toy gun that looks awfully real and then fly over to the author and threaten her to take her hands off of the computer and keep them where I can see them. But now I really did, while I'm actually very anti-violent!

This book just completely missed its point to me. Obviously a tie-in book does not equal high quality literature, but this...?! I think there might be better fanfiction
Stephanie A.
Nov 17, 2014 Stephanie A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
For the record, this doesn't suck. As tie-in novels go, they're actually a rather pleasant experience, with a little more heart than usual. You just have to resign yourself to the fact that publishers of tie-in novels are afraid of writers who connect with character emotions like actors instead of script writers. I don't know how well it works as a canon-launching prequel, but if you try to think of it as a typical cotton candy/fluff YA novel, it succeeds in that respect. I am always casting YA ...more
Nov 08, 2014 Ivana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book was such a disappointment.

Glee is one of my all time favorite TV shows. I was excited to read the prequel, but it didn't last for long - it was awful. I've actually considered abandoning a book a couple of times.

The characters are boring and nothing like themselves from TV show, everybody hates each other, there are no healthy relationships or friendships.

I honestly don't even know how to write this review, it just sucked. I tend to search for the best in every book, but I couldn't fi
Aug 02, 2010 may rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I received this book I wasn't really sure what to expect. I loved the TV series but I've never really been a big fan of tie-in books. This one luckily is a bit different. It's actually an original novel so what happens in it is separate to the content of the television shows. The book also takes place before the Glee series so you really get to know all of the characters well.

There are lots of things I liked about this book but in particular I liked the way Lowell presented the Glee kids we
Jun 16, 2012 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend this book
Shelves: 2000-onwards
Having enjoyed watching Glee from the first series I thought I'd give The Beginning a try.

I was left extremely disappointed. The characters retained their flaws but lost all of their redeeming qualities. I find the t.v versions of Rachel, Puck and co. endearing despite their idiosyncratic ways, their book counterparts however were just obnoxious and unlikable.

The book was scattered with references to Puck's dubious pool cleaning business, cougars, M.I.L.Fs and other subjects unsuitable for young
Aug 25, 2010 kari rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2010
I enjoyed this book, but I'm a total Gleek. Not sure how much you'd enjoy it if you aren't a fan of the show. Since I know the characters, I think the author has their voices, mannerisms and personalities down very well.
This is sort of a prequel to teh show. It tells how the various Glee members met up and how Finn's baby came to be, although you have to read between the lines to know what happened. It's g-rated which is nice.
It's not a really compelling read, not a page-turner, but that could b
Kenya Bautista
Sep 20, 2013 Kenya Bautista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Franlin McKinley High Schools Glee Club was never really "popular". After Rachel and Finn Hudson join everyone seems to follow into their category. Quinn and Finn are in love but it isn't until Finn find out the secret Quinn and Puck have. Join this showmance and be prepared for some romantic drama.
Dewi Masna
Buku yang menarik, menceritakan kisah siswa siswi Mc Kinley High yang penuh warna. Rachel, seorang siswi yang pintar, energik, berbakat menyanyi, dan berpenampilan aneh. Quinn fabray, ketua tim cherio yang sangat cantik dan berambut pirang. Finn Hudson, quaterback tim futbol sekolah yang sangat tampan, dan diprediksi akan menjadi pasangan yang serasi quinn fabray. Di Mc Kinley High School siswa siswinya berkelompok berdasarkan kepopuleran. Anak-anak anggota tim futbol dan chearleader sekolah ada ...more
Victoria Kennedy
Originally published on My Books Are Me

As a fan of Glee, I've had this book sitting on my bookshelf for far too long, and I finally got round to picking it up. It's a quick read that's ideal for Glee fans, experiencing these characters through a different medium.

Following the life of our favourite McKinley High students before Glee kicked off, this book follows each of the major characters during the first few weeks of the new school year. Rachel is determined to let her star shine on the una
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Sep 24, 2010 Lyndsey O'Halloran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I have been a massive fan on Glee since it first started so I was both curious and excited to see how it would be transferred into a book and prequel. There was a lot of good reviews for it on Twitter so I was starting to think that it was done really well. I was unfortunately left not completely loving it though.

Glee: The Beginning really accentuates the personalities of the main characters and because of this, I could imagine them as they are on the TV show. I liked being able to picture each
Sean Kennedy
I'm really not expecting great literature when it comes to a novel based on the series Glee, but I at least expect it to fit in with the continuity of the show (although I guess it could be argued that this author is being as wildly inconsistent with plot and characterisation as the screenwriters). What you have here are blatant canonical facts being overlooked here such as Sandy Ryerson running the Glee club before Schue takes over - Ryerson is nowhere to be seen, and therefore the huge plot de ...more
Jan 10, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I am a total "Gleek," and I have been in love with the show since the very first episode. I'll spare you the details. But of course, I had to read the Glee book that answers my burning questions about what happened before the t.v. show kicked off, such as what grades the main characters are in, and how did Puck and Quinn wind up in bed together? I have a life, just not on Tuesdays.

Anyways, the book is true to form, right down to Sue Sylvester's hilariously-vile comments, Finn's adorable naivety,
Sandra Girard-Demontigny
I enjoyed this book. We must agree, this is not the best book in the world, but it is still interesting . However , in my opinion it is better to have read the book before seeing the TV show because the show is much better .
Petra Sýkorová
Tuhle knihu si spíš užijí milovníci stejnojmenného seriálu. Ostatním nejspíš nic neřekne. Já jsem si ji moc ráda přečetla a těším se na druhý díl.
Jul 01, 2016 Revital rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
מבדר, לא יותר מזה
Jan 23, 2011 Menoedh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Akhirnya selesai juga salah satu buku yang masuk kategori bacaan kamar mandi gue hehe..buku ini ngga memberikan sesuatu yang baru atau menarik. Kalau niat para penulis asli Glee menarik perhatian orang baru, buku ini dipastikan bakal gagal. Tapi kalau niatnya “hanya” menambahkan cerita apa yang terjadi sebelum episode 1 Season 1, ya memang hanya itu yang mereka sampaikan. Bisa divonis kalau yang membaca belum menonton Glee, buku ini bener-bener ngga penting.

Bukunya juga sepertinya berusaha dibua
Jan 29, 2012 Turtlelove.jcs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaydee Brain
Book Review
Glee: The Beginning
Written by Sophia Lowell, this novel was published by Hachette Book Group in New York, New York in August of 2010. I think this book was very good and I would read the other two after. I would recommend this book to any “Gleek”.
The story of the Glee Club takes place at McKinley High School in Lima, Ohio. The entire plot is about a few talented “nerds” trying to make their mark on the school and make everyone else appreciate them. The mos
Nádia Batista
Confesso que sou uma gleek... O Glee é provavelmente o meu guilty pleasure. Antes não suportava a série, até que comecei a ver enquanto esperava que desse uma que realmente gostava, e quando dei por mim, já amava a série. Quando descobri que havia livros, não descansei enquanto não li o primeiro, e tendo em conta que nem é muito grande, decidi guardá-lo para o Read-a-Thon.

Estava à espera de uma adaptação literária da série, o que aconteceu mais ou menos - Glee O Início mostra as personagens ante
Macy  (It's a Book Thing)
May 15, 2012 Macy (It's a Book Thing) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
More of my reviews at

=84/100 B

When I bought this book, I didn't have many expectations. In all honesty, I expected much less then I actually got out of it. It was a really easy read and a good break from all the super depressing books that I read. I must admit, I am a BIG Glee fan. I watch the show all the time, have all the music, and sing the songs in the shower on a
Jesse Owen
Aug 04, 2010 Jesse Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Before I begin I should point out that I love Glee (how it managed to pass by the rest of my family I have absolutley no idea), I loved the story and I especially loved the songs – many of them I preferred over the orignal (can I say that?) so approaching the book was interesting in that obviously one of the key parts of the show (the songs) was missing.

This aside I felt the book really captures the spirit of Glee, it may not be the TV series but it stood up well on it’s own ground, we start wit
Sep 07, 2016 Keri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't consider myself a "gleek." I watch the show on occasion and find certain episodes enjoyable and the humor is spot-on at times. This book, which belongs to my younger sister, was lying around the house. With summer coming to a close, I was looking for something light to read before I return to reading those grueling, large college textbooks. This Glee "prequel" seemed to be the perfect book.

The writing isn't great, but I wasn't expecting descriptive prose and figurative language. The s
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Aug 29, 2010 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
GLEEEEEEEEE!! Yep, if you can't already tell, I loved this book. It's the perfect antidote to pining away for the TV show, and is written so well that you feel like you're watching it rather than reading it. Sophia Lowell manages to capture each character's dialogue and personality perfectly, and offers an extra insight into their pre-Glee lives.

I'll be honest here: I'm quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I'm a big fan of the show so I knew I'd like it, but I was a bit concerned abo
Alex Bennett
Aug 27, 2010 Alex Bennett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I’ve known I wanted to read this book since I first found out about it. Glee is my favorite series and anything that has to do with Glee is something I must check out. Now, I haven’t read any T.V. to book or even movie to book adaptations, so I didn’t know what to expect. After seeing some pretty bad reviews, I didn’t know if I was going to like it much. Regardless of my hesitation, I started reading it the day I got it. And boy, am I glad I did.

You get to see all of your favorite characters in
SJH (A Dream of Books)
All you Gleeks out there (of which, yes, I am one!) will love this book which is a prequel to the phenomenal smash-hit TV show. There's a danger with TV tie-ins that they won't capture the spirit and enjoyment of the show itself but there's no need to worry about that here because Sophia Lowell has done a tremendous job of transferring the essence of Glee into the written word.

I had fun finding out about all my favourite characters before they formed 'New Directions' with Mr Schuester, their Sp
Sarah O'Neill
I am a gleek. I love glee so much and this book was so much fun.

I fell in love when I saw it in my school library <3
It is quite different from the TV series because some parts they don't really get into details e.g. Quinn's pregnancy and the fact that Kurt is gay, and they also added a lot of things that WEREN'T in the TV show... E.g. Rachel's Morning announcements.

The thing that caught my attention was where glee began, unlike the TV series, glee didn't go from that lady (FORGOT NAME!) the
Dec 28, 2012 Maud rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Glee fans who crave more Glee stuff
All great performances deserve a warm-up, enroll early at McKinley High (before New Directions was even a glimmer in Mr. Schuester's eye). When did Rachel first decide Finn was more than just a jock? When did Puck and Quinn start their secret romance? And how did the fledgling Glee Club function without a fearless leader? Hint: It wasn't exactly a perfect melody.
Break out the gold stars and refill the slushies: It's time to find out what happened to all your favorite characters "before" the show
OMG! is GLEE ending this season? 4 15 Jul 09, 2012 04:45PM
gLee: Favorite Season 3 Episode 1 6 Feb 16, 2012 05:17AM
  • Don't Stop Believin': The Unofficial Guide to Glee
  • The Xander Years, Vol. 1 (The Xander Years, #1)
  • Archie Meets Glee
  • Glee: The Official William McKinley High School Yearbook
  • Footloose
  • Broadway Dreams (High School Musical, Stories from East High, #5)
  • Endangered Species (Angel: Season 3, #6)
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Secret Identity (Lost, #2)
  • Clueless (Clueless, #1)
  • Beverly Hills 90210 (Beverly Hills, 90210 #1)
  • Poetry in Motion (High School Musical: Stories from East High, #3)
  • Finding Lost: The Unofficial Guide
  • Get Your Vote On (High School Musical, Stories from East High, #8)
  • Signs of Life (Lost, #3)
  • Gender Blender
  • Choosing Glee: 10 Rules to Finding Inspiration, Happiness, and the Real You
  • The Outsider (The OC, #1)
Sophia Lowell is the pen name for a talented and seasoned YA novelist.
More about Sophia Lowell...

Glee (3 books)
  • Foreign Exchange (Glee, #2)
  • Summer Break (Glee, #3)

“Being a part of something special makes you special...” 10 likes