Start by marking “The Million Dollar Putt” as Want to Read:
The Million Dollar Putt

The Million Dollar Putt (Million Dollar #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Edward Bogie Bogard is blind, but he's determined to master the game of golf when it turns out he has the swing of a natural player. Soon, someone mysteriously enters Bogie in a golfing tournament with a million-dollar prize.
Published May 1st 2007 by Perfection Learning (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Million Dollar Putt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Million Dollar Putt

Tracy
Oct 01, 2008 Tracy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 9-109 year olds
Shelves: ya
I loved this book so much I could pour chocolate syrup over it and eat it up! Who knew a book about golf could be so sweet. And funny too. But it's really not about golf (althought I did finally learn what words like par, bogie and birdie mean), Bogie and Birdie are characters who overcome challenges that kids shouldn't have to face. Both ultimately prove that you can turn your "challenges" into triumph, especially when you have a supportive best friend!
I only read this because of my 4th grader
Christian Garcia
Anyone up for blind golfing? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. This book is like no other ,because of the point of view. The point of is told by a blind kid named Ed Bogard or Bogie for short. It actually feels like your blind because whatever he sees, you see...which is nothing much.

***Spoiler Alert***

This book takes place in Hawai'i which is one of the best places to play golf because of its 12 best golf courses in the world. In the story Birdie, one of Bogie's friend wants Bogie t
Caleb Lattin
I think this book is pretty darn good. It is about golf and I love and play golf, so it relates to me. It also has an amazing story line. A blind golfer suddenly becomes aware that he is good at golf. His caddy lines him up and he hits the ball. Then, he plays his first hole and he gets a hole in one. He enters a golf tournament for a million dollars, and you will have to read the book to find out what happens.
This book would be a good 6th grade and up book because a lot of informatio is thro
Daniel
Key Issues: Blind, Golf, Love, Fitting in, Bullied

List of Characters
Ed Bogard: Blind, funny, brave,nice, friendly{Narrator,protagonist}
Birdie: Cute, lonely, builder, bad at sports{protagonist}
Hunter: Selfish, rude, mean, bully toward Ed,{antagonist}
Ronnie: Friend of Hunter's, short, rude, heartless{antagonist}
Alex: Friend of Hunter's, tall, strong, unfriendly{antagonist}
Ed's Dad: Hate's golf, nice, collects golf balls{protagonist}

Plot Summary: Ed who is blind meets a very nice girl named Birdie.
Hunter E
I read a million dollar putt by Dan Gutman. It was about a blind boy named Bogie who had a special talent at golf and he enters a million dollar contest for golfing. My favorite part was when Bogie out drove Hunter Lynch at the driving range. A personal connection is that I really love golf as a hobby but I don't feel like doing anything with it like entering something. If you like sports even if you don't play golf I recommend this book. I would rate the book a 5/5.
Zach Howe
The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Gutman Realistic Fiction # of pages 169

Summary- Ed Bargard or Bogie for short is about 13 years old, is interested in golf, is blind, brownish hair, kind of tall. Birdie Andrews a girl, is Bogies friend. Kind of tall, dirty blond hair, funny personality. setting Bogies house- small, Golf courses, theme- it doesn't matter what you look like on the outside. 1. Bogie plays his guitar 2. Bogie meets Birdie 3. Bogie hits the ball more than 200 yards 4. A guy says that b
James

In the book, The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Newman,Bogey, a blind kid, is about to figure out that he has a special talent. Hunter Lynche, a bully, and his friends offer to take him to golf range to compete for the best drive. Ronnie hits the ball 150 yards,Jonah hit the ball 175 yards, and Hunter hit the ball 200 yards. They almost forgot about Bogey. Bogey had Ronney set the club head behind the ball and he swung and hit it perfectly straight past 200 yards. Bogey won the bet and told his dad,
Mason Bondurant
I read "troublemaker" by Dan Gutman and I thought this book was great! Gutman is one of my favorite authors, no matter what book I bet it really is good. This book had very good voice and I kind of connected with it because I enjoy golf too!
"Troublemaker" is about a boy named Ed but people just call him Bogey. He finds that he is truly an amazing golfer and even trainers are saying it. But he is just the hitter, he needs some eyes it there to tell him where the hole is. That's when Birdie Andr
82_#14 All
Jake H
Plot-
The Million Dollar Putt is a very interesting book. You don't normally see a blind golfer, but in this book, Edward Bogard is one of them. He lost his eye sight when he was about three years old. Ever since then, he had to use his other senses to get through his obstacles. His mother has died when Edward was just a baby. He doesn't remember her. One day, Edwards so called "friends" took him out to go golfing. His friends made a bet to see who could hit the golf ball the farthest. It turns o
Mandy
I'm reading this with Sam for his chat and chew. Sam is now a big fan of this author and has been searching for all of his books at the library.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Parents Review: Okay, I know I was boy crazy at 13 but now being an adult/parent I know its entirely too young. So, I don't love the romance between the 2 main characters, the holding of hands and the kiss, at only 13. Way too young. And I don't get the relationship between the father and son. It's basically built on lies. And I don't know th
Yasmine Lopez
Do you ever wonder if a person who lost their eye sight could do or be better at something then a person that has their eye sight? Or if it is even possible? Well this is the Fiction book " The Million Dollar Putt ". This was AMAZING for me because i learned the blind can do so many things even though they are blind.

This book took place in Hawai'i. The main character " Boggie " wanted to win the million dollar putt but the problem was he was blind. So he practiced everyday with his new golf co
Molly
Why a 4 star rating?:

I really enjoyed reading this humorous and inspirational story, I love the character of Bogie and the relationship he has with Birdie. It's a quick read with some laugh-out-loud parts and relatable characters. I especially like Bogie's attitude towards life and the way he encourages Birdie. The only thing I didn't really like was the idea that a blind 13 year old, who had never played golf before, could become a golf pro in a matter if a few weeks, it's just not realistic.

Pl
Matthew Macdonald
The Million Dollar Putt by Dan Gutman is a sporty and fun kind of book. It's about a 13 year old boy that is blind. Ed goes to the driving range one day to figure out that he can drive the fall 200 yards. And Ed enters in a competition that if he can make a putt he can win a million dollars.
This book takes place in modern time in Hawaii.
I would recommend this book to any body who loves fun sport type book. Also I recommend this book to people who like books by Dan Gutman.
Corey Vanek
Andrew Isho
I read the book million dollar putt by Dan Gutman. The genre is a realistic fiction novel. This book is about a blind person that can play golf. And someone enters him in a golf competition for a million dollar prize. I rated this book a 4 out of 5 stars. I rated it that because I thought it was original and creative.
Kinderly
it was a an amazing book i have read it 2 times thats how good it is it teaches you that anybody can do anything if you put your mind to it so go check out this book or buy it and read it.
Sam
I loved this book so much, it really tells you how people that are blind can do the same stuff that people that are not blind can do! I would rate this book a 10 out of 10.
B
This funny "million dollar" book features Edward Bogard, Bogie for short. Even though he is blind, Bogie experiences and is taught many things by is father such as biking, parasailing, etc. The one thing his father will not do with him is go golfing but Bogie finds out, on an outing with school chums, that he is a natural in the sport. So with his funny neighbor girl, Birdie, as coach, he begins to learn the sport and is entered into a million dollar tournament. It's humorous, (how he deals with ...more
Tana of Dumbledore's Army✞~
Hilarious! Made me laugh out loud, very good and i loved the characters!
Kolby jacobe
it was a good book i loved this book very exciting
Isaac
It is about a boy who lost his mother and he is very talented on playing golf. He has a very good friend that lives right next to his house. His father would never mention the thing golf in front of this boy because there was a bad story that happened to him when he was playing golf with his wife.

I think that this book is a little bit realistic and I think people would not want to read it if they don't want to read about golf.
Caroline
Before this book I had read million dollar kick for school I had to read a sports fiction so this is the book I choose. This book is about a boy who is blind and meets a girl, they become best friends. One day when the boy was at school a mean boy in his grade asks him if he wants to go to a driving range with him and his friends. Fooled the boy say yes but he discovers he has a great talent.
Sam
It may not be entirely appropriate for kids, since it includes a nudity joke and dealing with severe conditions like heatstroke, but the braver ones who still want to read it will enjoy this flying-blind underdog tale that will definitely inspire and entice you to go for the gold. Not a perfectly executed book, but definitely a close second to it.
Caitlintobin
A blind kid discovers he is a natural at golf. With the help of his neighbor, he enters a local golf tournament. Great lessons about having a disability, trying new things, making friends based on substance not appearance. Humorous. There is a reference to boyfriend/girlfriend.
Kyra
The library was having a drawing for an autographed copy of one of these and so now the book is on my shelf:)
I own the Million Dollar Kick to, and I've always avioded it, but after I read this book, I gave it a shot (no pun intended)I really like these books.
Marilyn
If you need a break from some heavy reading try reading this delightful young adult book. Fast read with wonderful characters. Children's and Young Adult book authors are some of the best writers! Who would dream that a young blind kid could be a natural golfer?
Yoonmee
Fun, cute, charming book about a blind boy and his scaredy-cat friend (girlfriend?) named Birdie who work together to learn how to play golf. Fast read. Probably good for reluctant readers. I think both boys and girls will enjoy this book.
Blake
This is one of my first Dan Gutman books to read and i think that he a great author. It was very interesting. It makes you realize that people with physical problems can do the same stuff as everyone else and succeed at it.
Connor James
I thought the book was okay. It had too much drama. I also think it's kind of an inspiration. I think it's an inspiration because it's about a kid competing a golf tournement for $1,000,000! Not only that but he's blind!
Million Dollar Putt 1 2 Nov 10, 2012 06:35AM
The Million Dollar Putt 1 2 Nov 10, 2012 06:30AM
The Million Dollar Putt 1 1 Nov 10, 2012 06:30AM
  • Molly McGinty Has a Really Good Day
  • Dead Guy Spy (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #2)
  • Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
  • Artsy-Fartsy
  • Hotel for Dogs
  • Noodle & Lou
  • Toes
  • My Life as a Smashed Burrito (The Incredible Worlds of Wally McDoogle, #1)
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...

Million Dollar (5 books)
  • The Million Dollar Shot (The Million Dollar Series #1)
  • The Million Dollar Kick (The Million Dollar Series #2)
  • The Million Dollar Goal (The Million Dollar Series #3)
  • The Million Dollar Strike (The Million Dollar Series #4)
The Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #1) Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Mission Unstoppable (The Genius Files #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)