Start by marking “Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane Alaska Series #3)” as Want to Read:
Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane Alaska Series #3)

Skeleton Lake (Nik Kane #3)

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Wounded during an investigation and still grieving the loss of his son, Anchorage private detective Nik Kane returns to his first big case, one that he's never been able to close. Danny Shirtleff was an undercover cop gunned down on a muddy road next to Skeleton Lake. But even in Alaska, cold cases have a habit of heating up. And Nik Kane is about to get burned.
Published August 14th 2008 by Penguin Group (USA) Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Skeleton Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Skeleton Lake

Ashley
This book is one that tells the story of a man at three different times in his life: 1962, 1985, and 2007. Each chapter switches eras. It was not until page 200 of 300 that I realized that there were actually two completely separate mysteries going on in the book. I kept waiting for it all to come together and it never did. The book was more the development of a man with a very sad life than it was an intense mystery thriller. If you are looking for the biography of a fictional character who had ...more
Harry Lane
Best of the three in the series so far - provided you have read the first two. I had wondered how Doogan was going to go forward from the conclusion of the second volume, and he manages the task very well indeed. The story unfolds in flashbacks to Nik's childhood and early days as a detective. The conclusion resolves the mystery, but there is personal business left hanging. I look forward to the fourth story.
Pam Herrmann
This book left me confused. All the bouncing back and forth from past to present. Maybe I just couldn't get into the characters but at the end I was still wondering who was who. I was also irritated with the names - Cee Cee, Jackie Dee, Jackie DeeTwo. Won't be reading any more of his books if this is as good as it gets.
Jessica
A very depressing detective/mystery novel, which kept me guessing to the very melancholy end.

It was mixed with the main characters home life and youth filled with poverty and a longing to know what happened to his missing dad.

I read it because it took place in Anchorage. After reading it, I'd never want to visit or live there.

This book leads you to believe that most people are depraved and wicked. It was horrible, with little hope.

At least I couldn't figure out who the killer was. And when I did
Don Healy
Good escapist reading, especially if you're traveling to Alaska.
Kim
hmm....on the fence with this one. I guess my main problem is he ends the book just when its getting somewhere.

It begins after Nik wakes up in the hospital after being shot. He struggles with memories of his dad's leaving and his first case as a detective (a unsolved shooting of a fellow police officer). To relieve boredom and keep his mind off the death of his son, Nik goes through the old case file and opens up a cold case that hits closer to home than he realizes.
Savannah
Without the topicality of being in Juneau that kept the last episode in this ongoing series engrossing, I'm back to a more ho-hum attitude. I'm not sure I really like the protagonist and so I'm sort of indifferent to the pressures that are driving the series plot. And with this episode pretty much interior, the whole portrayal of Alaska part is much less compelling. I'll probably read the next, but this series is on notice to perform or not be worth the effort beyond that.
Michael
I decided to read this book because it was set in Alaska. As far as a sense for place, it could have been Manhattan. Basically your run-of-the-mill detective story.
Kayeb
I enjoyed this....... Nik Dane is the primary detective, and the setting is Alaska. There is the former cop who is killed, the broken marriage and some typical cop kinds of themes. Kane finds out that the dead man was quite a ladies man and made the rounds of many women in the area......including those who are married. An easy read, but still somehow kept my attention.
Fiona
Doogan captures the Alaska feel (of course he lives there) but I would have liked a little more town descriptions and even more Alaska charm. This one read like a typical "could be anywhere" mystery. His character is gritty enough without being too raw.
Sally
I saw after I read this, that this was the third in the series. It had an interesting jumping of time and hooked me in. The murder mystery became somewhat predictable, but overall an interesting read.
Joe O'c
Good; Continuing character: Nik Kane; fairly confusing story bouncing back and forth between time periods in Kane's life, alternating between a storyline about a murdered cop and Kane's long missing father
Anne
Sep 16, 2008 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buddy, Betty
Shelves: mystery
The unfolding of Nik Kane's back story just gets better and better and the Alaska setting is gripping and realistic. This is the third book in the series. Watch out for those cliff-hanging endings!
Mitzi
This was not as good as I thought it would be. Authors who jump around need to be sure to keep track of their own storyline. There were spots in the book toward the end that made no sense.
Brenda
I almost gave up on this book after a few chapters, but then it grabbed me, pulled me in, and I'm glad I finished it. Hope his next book comes out soon.
Steve Clark
This is the 3rd of a series. I think it would have helped to have read the first two first. Was expecting a little more Alaskaness to it.
Nadine
First 3 or 4 pages were about some cops discussing a case and the language was so bad I just decided to not even finish the book
Amaya
Other than the rapid ending that didn't really tie up all the lose ends, it was a very enjoyable read.
Lynn
Will go back and find the first in the series. The past always kicks series characters in the butt.
Nancy Mitchell
How hard it is for everyone to work their way through life. What a great Mystery!!!1
Nicole
I did not care for it much. The writing style was not my taste.
Lynda
I found the book uninteresting in places.
Carol Sanders
Carol Sanders marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
June
June added it
Mar 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Nik Kane (3 books)
  • Lost Angel
  • Capitol Offense
Lost Angel Capitol Offense Fashion Means Your Fur Hat is Dead: A Guide to Good Manners and Social Survival in Alaska Our Alaska: Personal Stories About Life in the North How to Speak Alaskan