Start by marking “The Rise Fall of ECW: Extreme Championship Wrestling” as Want to Read:
The Rise  Fall of ECW: Extreme Championship Wrestling

The Rise Fall of ECW: Extreme Championship Wrestling

Independent wrestling promotions were once the norm all across the country. However, with the rise of World Wrestling Entertainment and the creation of World Championship Wrestling -- out of three Southern promotions -- the possibility of an independent succeeding grew fainter and fainter. As the nineties began, independents were looking for creative ways to survive. In th ...more
Published May 22nd 2007 by World Wrestling Entertainment (first published June 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Rise Fall of ECW, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise Fall of ECW

Tom
Jun 10, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just recently finished reading The Rise & Fall of ECW, a WWE publication. So it shown the history of ECW from those who participated and at the time was also serving tenure in WWE after their takeover in 2002. I could get into more indepth information in the review here, but I've already done that on my blog post here. I advised you to check it out now.
Anthony
Still on my wrestling kick I picked this one up giving some of the history of the wrestling promotion that really changed the scene of wrestling back in the 90’s. I enjoyed this one because I am a wrestling geek. This book even reviewed some of the storylines from the promotion. This filled in some of the back story to some of the wrestlers that I saw when I was watching WWE.
BookMarc
Mar 29, 2011 BookMarc rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read but not really in depth enough to make it an excellent read. It was very much a whistle-stop account of how ECW came to be, was built up and then how it fell. While entertaining a fan of this genre might feel a tad disappointed that major issues and stories don't get the amount of space they require and that the history of the federation is very much watered down.
Davy
Jan 24, 2012 Davy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For any former ECW fan this book is a must read. I loved ECW and was sad when it folded. I know they made a DVD before this book was made but they could only fit so much of the story of ECW into a 90 minute DVD. They book filled in a lot of holes. If you loved ECW like I did you should read this.
Steve
Feb 07, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the best wrestling book in years. It brought the ECW history to a reality and used most members of the group and how they worked in this fledging wrestling organization. Maybe the The Franchise was missing but testimony was great, including Paul E.'s stuff was great.
EC dub! EC dub!
Ian
Jan 17, 2013 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good read for people who like ECW, but not for people who like well-written books. It's a disjointed but informative book with some interesting interviews and some new insights into the company. It's nothing ground-breaking but a good summary of ECW.
Ted
Sep 29, 2012 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrestling
Excellent book that explains the history of ECW. Includes interviews from Paul Heyman and wrestlers from ECW.
Victor Orozco
Aug 03, 2013 Victor Orozco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Good. The history of one of the most popular professional wrestling organizations from the men and women who lived it. WWE knew there was money to be made out of this story and definitely knew that this was something that would sell. To this day the three letter chant of ECW brings great joy to fans. The story is well told, but I can't help if its facts and conclusions aren't simply revisionism by WWE. Because like it or not WWE was partially responsible in the company's downfall. ECW start ...more
Tanya
Feb 20, 2015 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is another one of my thrift shop finds. I was really excited to find this there. The book gives the history of ECW from it's first days in 1993 until it's last in 2001. I loved learning more about the company (How it started and what made them popular), the business side of things (merchandise, setting up shows, pay per views, etc.) and, of course, the wrestlers.

I really like that the author didn't censor the wrestlers when he interviewed them. If you don't like swears, especially the
Simon
Jun 12, 2015 Simon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so wanted this book to be a 5-star book, I was a big wrestling fan, still am to some extent, but I missed seeing the ECW hype in it's time, being on the wrong side of the Atlantic. This isn't a bad book by any stretch of the word, it just feels to sanitised and rushed, whether this is because it's bought out by WWE I've no idea. Certainly reading about it in the wrestling magazines there seemed to be more issues between ECW and WWF (now WWE) than are covered in the book.

At the end of the day,
Frank Gurrieri
Jan 22, 2015 Frank Gurrieri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a huge pro wrestling fan, ECW was something I got into later after they already closed. I went to a show when I was younger on Staten Island but I didn't know anyone back then.

This book had a lot of things that were quoted from the "Rise and Fall"documentary so that was all rehash stuff

There were a few things in the book I didn't know about

All in all it was a good read and I don't have a negative things to say about ECW. I wish it was still around today. The wrestling world needs somethi
Mark
Sep 29, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it possible for a book to have too much information? I am easily the most enthusiastic fan of professional wrestling I know, and this book seemed to drag for me. There was definitely a great attention to detail, but I think the larger-than-life characters and their unbelievable stories were obscured by the tedium. Given the option, watch the DVD instead.
Vicki
Apr 15, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, quick read about the company which changed professional wrestling. Would be interesting to have a follow up regarding the WWE reincarnation of the brand and the continuing journey of the legend who is Paul Heyman.
Josh Liller
Mar 19, 2009 Josh Liller rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wrestling
Decent book, but it skips over too much stuff. Also, it is a WWE sanctioned book and as a result has some revisionist history issues.

If you want to read about ECW, I recommend "Hardcore History" instead.
Trevor Dailey
Aug 06, 2015 Trevor Dailey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-ness
Good read but repetitive if you have ever watched the documentary. The talking heads are basically verbatim.
Frank Doosey
While it's a good read, it's essentially the DVD in book form. If you've seen the video you've read the book.
Gerald Bozenda
Dec 22, 2012 Gerald Bozenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really cool book. Rated highly partly because it brought back so many memories.
Michael Lighten
Very well put together book, but it is slow at spots. Just reading the names from wrestling world past was enough to keep reading. It did bring back a lot of memories. Well worth the read.
Perry
Jan 22, 2014 Perry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Is what it is. Poorly written, often inaccurate, and a total self-indulgent guilty pleasure with zero literary value.
Stephen Bruno
Jun 22, 2014 Stephen Bruno rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of my least favorite wrestling books that I've read. It was essentially a work, just giving results of ecw shows in chronological order. No real "behind the scenes" dirt or anything interesting.
Yulia
Yulia rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2017
Joel Gordon
Joel Gordon rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Luke Hayhurst
Luke Hayhurst rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2016
Juxhin Deliu
Albeit too formulaic and lacking of deeper analysis, it has some interesting personal recollections from main personalities and lots of minor but propedeutic anecdotes.
Slash
Slash rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2009
Ian Moore
Ian Moore rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Pat Devlin
Pat Devlin rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2014
Hilary White
Hilary White rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Mitch Cowan
Mitch Cowan rated it it was ok
Nov 19, 2009
Professor
Professor rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2013
  • Are We There Yet?: Tales from the Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstars
  • Cheating Death, Stealing Life: The Eddie Guerrero Story
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • The Road Warriors: Danger, Death, and the Rush of Wrestling
  • The Hardcore Diaries
  • Adam Copeland on Edge
  • Batista Unleashed (Wwe)
  • The Stone Cold Truth
  • Sex, Lies, and Headlocks: The Real Story of Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation
  • The Hardy Boyz: Exist 2 Inspire
  • Ring of Hell: The Story of Chris Benoit and the Fall of the Pro Wrestling Industry
  • Hardcore History: The Extremely Unauthorized Story of the ECW