Start by marking “Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)

Desert Shadows (Lena Jones Mystery #3)

After Scottsdale publisher Gloriana Allerton is poisoned at the annual Southwestern Publishers' Convention and a Pima Indian friend is accused of the murder, Lena Jones begins to investigate the seldom talked about side of the business--racist publishing. To her horror, Lena finds herself rubbing elbows with extremist politicians and members of local fascist groups.

Though
Published January 31st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published August 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Desert Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Shadows

Melodie
Nov 22, 2014 Melodie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Hadn't read a Lena Jones in some time. DESERT WIVES was a stellar read some years back. This one was a good enough read, just not nearly as good as the previous book. Have a couple more in this series I need to get to. Will try and get the next in the series read by the end of the year. Mostly recommend......but if you're looking to start with this series, I can't recommend DESERT WIVES highly enough.
Chris
Feb 22, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good mystery, and more unraveling of Lena's own mysterious story. The setting, of Scottsdale, is somewhat known to me, and I think I'll make sure that on my next adventure that far north I'll take book number 4 with me so that I can check out some of the actual places she talks about!
Stuart
This is the third Lena Jones mystery, though only the first I have read. In this story, sub-titled “Publishing can be Murder”, Lena investigates the death of publisher Scottsdale publisher Gloriana Alden-Taylor, who was poisoned at the annual Southwestern Publishers' Convention. She is drawn in to the case because a Pima Indian friend has been accused of the murder.
Gloriana’s publishing house delivers primarily racist texts, so the field is rife with people who may have wanted to kill her, inclu
Gail
Jan 03, 2010 Gail rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
THis is the third Lena Jones mystery and continues the series as absorbing and gritty as the previous two. Lena Jones is a former cop turned private detective in Scottsdale Arizona. A product of a series of bad foster homes, Lena is strong, beautiful, and analytical. Her heart is closed and she is haunted by the mystery of her past and by the abuses of the foster care system.

The autocratic head of Patriot's Blood, Gloriana Alden-Taylor is poisoned at a banquet and the evidence points to her Pima
Kae Cheatham
Apr 14, 2011 Kae Cheatham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good plot and development. In this, PI Lena Jones delves into the murder of a not-well-liked owner of an independent publishing house. The suspects are many, and the sub plot delves into hate crimes.

Credible information about the publishing industry and how/why books get published. Characters are well-drawn. Could have used some editing to get rid of "elderly stucco houses", glaciers falling from the sky and "cylindrical smiles"--I still can't figure that out.

Webb's books often carry too much ex
george burns
Sep 18, 2014 george burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lena at her Best

Lena Jones is one of the most interesting fictional detectives created in recent years. In some ways she is both hard and tough, but she retains a strong sense of social justice and is tortured by her horrific and mysterious past. In this outing she attempts to prove the innocence of a man who is charged with the murder of a greedy and snobbish publisher of hate literature. Lena must investigate the many unpleasant characters who had reasons to hate the victim and at the same loo
Betty
Publishers

Sheila Beaumont
This third book featuring private investigator Lena Jones is a terrific detective tale that starts out with the murder of the owner of Patriot's Blood Press at the Southwest Book Publishers Expo, when her salad is sprinkled with water hemlock. Suspects abound, including family members, employees, displeased authors, political extremists, and an imprisoned serial killer. It's a fascinating mystery, with an intelligent heroine who has a mysterious past, the beautifully portrayed Arizona desert set ...more
Audrey
Sep 24, 2011 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less gritty than the previous entry in the Lena Jones series but also less easy to read. There are a lot of terrible people in this book, doing terrible things. The characters are well drawn and the Dusty subplot gets a fair shake, and there are lots of haunted houses and haunted people populating these pages. But Webb handles yet another social harm with characteristic aplomb and wades hip-deep into the things no one likes to talk about: addiction, racism, abuse and recovery.

A really great seri
Betty
Jan 04, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Lena Jones has flashbacks of her early life while trying to solve the MURDER of right book publisher. Owen, her partner's cousin has been arrested for the poisoning of Corinna Allen-Taylor who was publishing right material to make money. Her court order therapist is pushing her to what is bothering her and one her foster parents present. Dusty is back wanting to restart their affair. She meets all heirs and other publishers and that almost everyone had a motive. Will Lena solve this problem befo ...more
Swanbender2001
The more Lena delves into the character of Gloriana, the more surprises she discovers. For what appears to be a racist and a purist turns out to be motives based on making money, as Gloriana would back anything that would give her money to sink into one of her 'fevers'; mainly rebuilding her beloved Hacienda or tracking the genealogy of her family's history.
I enjoyed finding out more about Lena's past in this book.
Holly Morey
Jul 12, 2009 Holly Morey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main character Lena Jones is trying to find out who murdered a very unpopular publisher. Her partner's cousin has been accused of the deed and everyone knows that he did not murder the woman. Lena is also taking anger management therapy to keep her PI license. It is through this therapy that we learn more about Lena's life in the Foster Care system. This is a quick read. The characters are entertaining and I like Betty Webb's writing and story telling.
Kathy
Apr 01, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading the investigations of Lena Jones continues to be interesting and captivating. I quite enjoy Betty Webb's writing style and the obvious research she puts into her books. This story moved right along and made for fairly quick reading. Love the continuing cast of characters and how Lena's story as a child continues weaving through.
Elizabeth
Betty Webb places a murder tight in the center of a conference for independent publishers. I found it very educational as well as entertaining. I didn't feel it was as good as DESERT WIVES which I thought was excellent, but I look forward to more of this series.
Trudy Whatnot Books
Jun 09, 2011 Trudy Whatnot Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wnbooks-com
I enjoyed this mystery, very well written with ins and out the end was not what I expected. You will have to read to discover the ending!

one copy available! http://florida-house.ecrater.com/p/11...
Jamie Brooks
Aug 12, 2010 Jamie Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010, mystery
Not much to say except I am still loving this series. I am also interestd to see how Lena and Dusty's relationship plays out. hmm....
Nikki
Feb 12, 2009 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scottsdale private eye Lena Jones investigates a right-wing publisher's murder, and gets a little closer to solving her own personal mystery. Recommended.
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it really liked it
May 11, 2012
Trixie
Trixie rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2014
Judith
Judith rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2010
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Geri
Geri rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2013
Be Red
Be Red rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
BookishBelle
BookishBelle rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Annette Mahon
Annette Mahon rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Arlene
Arlene rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Pajones
Pajones rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Statute of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • Shadow Bones (Great Lakes Legends, #2)
  • The Passover Murder (Christine Bennett, #7)
  • The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord, #11)
  • Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey, #3)
  • Mischief (87th Precinct #45)
  • Split Image
As a journalist and literary critic for more than 20 years, Betty -- a resident of Scottsdale, Arizona, where her detective Lena Jones also lives -- has interviewed U. S. presidents, Nobel prize-winners, astronauts who’ve walked on the moon, polygamy runaways, the homeless, and the hopeless.

Now retired from journalism to write full time, she also contributes the Small Press column for Mystery Sce
More about Betty Webb...

Lena Jones Mystery (9 books)
  • Desert Noir (A Lena Jones Mystery #1)
  • Desert Wives (A Lena Jones Mystery #2)
  • Desert Run (A Lena Jones Mystery #4)
  • Desert Cut (A Lena Jones Mystery #5)
  • Desert Lost (A Lena Jones Mystery #6)
  • Desert Wind (A Lena Jones Mystery, #7)
  • Desert Rage (Lena Jones Mystery, #8)
  • Desert Vengeance (Lena Jones Mystery, #9)

“To do what you believe in, that is the course of action all honest men and women should follow, even to the death. But to spread such lies only for money, that is unforgivable.” 1 likes
“I didn’t like it when men presumed to answer for their women; as a detective, I liked it even less.” 1 likes