Start by marking “If You're Happy and You Know It” as Want to Read:
If You're Happy and You Know It

If You're Happy and You Know It

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Here's a new take on the popular song known to every child. In this version, a collection of animals put their own twist on the words. A new version that stresses individuality and won't fail to amuse every child. Chosen for the 2004 edition of The Best Children's Books of the Year, Bank Street College of Education.
Published October 4th 2004 by Star Bright Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about If You're Happy and You Know It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You're Happy and You Know It

Hannah
Jun 30, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
If You're Happy and You Know It by Jan Ormerod is a fun and engaging book. It begins with a young girl who is singing because she feels happy. The story follows different animals and the things that they do when they are happy.

I read this to the children in EYFS and got them to stand up and join in with the actions and songs in the story. The children really enjoyed the way that they could not only read the story, but also use their bodies to move in different ways.

This is a great book for youn
Heidi
Mar 01, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3 and up
Shelves: picture-book
Instead of the well-known lyrics to the popular titled song, this is a story of a girl who feels happy and sings a song. However, various animals tell her other ways to express happiness (dog-wave your tail; elephant-flap your ears; crocodile-snap your teeth; and so on). In the end, the little girl realizes that she can show her happiness in her own unique way which includes all of the ways mentioned throughout the story by the animals and the girl.

This didn't flow as well as it could have and i
Lily
Jan 28, 2016 Lily rated it it was amazing
I chose this book because I read it with the little kids I worked with at the daycare this past summer. This book is really cute and expands upon the original story touching on different emotions. This teaches children about emotions.
Alexis Fiore
Feb 11, 2014 Alexis Fiore rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a little girl singing because she was happy. She clapped her hands and then it goes on to tell what different animals do when they are happy. I think it a great book for younger children and it would be fun for them to follow along and sing.
Dholsten
Dec 26, 2014 Dholsten rated it it was ok
Liked the use of a familiar song and the variations of how "happy" is expressed. The hyena giggled--a nice surprise; and of course the toucan HAS to make some gesture utilizing its beak...lol. Cute book.
Pipa Guest
Nov 07, 2015 Pipa Guest rated it liked it
A funny book about a little girl singing the song and then animals joining in. Very enjoyable.
Danette
Apr 27, 2016 Danette rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was perfect for Abigail's personality.
Vivian
Sep 27, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Here's another action-packed picture book. We "warmed up" by singing the song without the book, doing three actions and then all three actions together. The children are very familiar with this and enjoy it.

I said, "suppose you were a puppy and couldn't do those actions?" I turned to the first double-page spread featuring an animal's take on the song. We sang through the next six critters, finishing with the kangaroo, of course. We could have skipped two of them and done only three if time were
Duane
May 11, 2010 Duane rated it it was amazing
This is a great book to use as a storyhour presentation to preschoolers! Following the usual song, a young girl meets various animals that show her how they sing the song using their animal characteristics. With wonderful illustrations, it's easy for kids to follow along with the song, plus they get to mimick the movements and words. A great energetic book for any preschool teacher!
Velita
Everyone knows the song 'If you're happy and you know it' but this book is a cute twist on it where animals put their own spin on the words. In the end, the girl learns you can be happy and express that in her own way.

This book would be a great example of rhyming and repetition.
Kandise
Oct 12, 2010 Kandise rated it really liked it
I read this book aloud to a group of daycare children and they loved it. I pretty much sang the song to them and muddled the words of the book a bit along the way, but they acted out the book's words without my having suggested it. They particularly enjoyed screeching.
Sep 20, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
When I read this book with my son I sing most of it and my son definitely loves that. The pictures are great too and everytime I pull it off the shelf to read with him he gets a huge smile on his face (he's currently about 9 months).
Raven Grider
Apr 11, 2011 Raven Grider rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
The way the text is written in this book is absolutely fantastic! Most of the text is supposed to read as a song, so this would be great for pre-schoolers or kindergartners. The illustrations are engaging and wonderful, as well.
Sydney
Sep 04, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it
At first this book through me off because I was reading it to the song's rhythm, once I figured out the planned breaks to allow for a new spin on the original story, it was a really fun read.
Heather
We didn't like this book. The text doesn't rhyme and there's NO rhythm. It was just plain awkward to read. My husband also commented on how he didn't like to read it out loud.
Tricia
Aug 22, 2008 Tricia rated it liked it
Recommends it for: music and movement
different animals do different things when they are happy. can be sung/read. good for storytime to get the kids involved.
Toma Szabat
Jul 01, 2011 Toma Szabat rated it it was amazing
I like to read this book and act silly infront of my teenage children, always good for a smile and some laughs !!
Kathy Morrison
Jul 01, 2008 Kathy Morrison rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents and teachers
Recommended to Kathy by: Christa
This book goes very well when teaching about feelings or using the song "if you're happy and you know it..."
Paula
Jul 20, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
A little girl and various animals sing their own versions of this popular rhyme.
Jayanne
Nov 25, 2008 Jayanne rated it really liked it
Easy to add lots of action when telling.
Sophie Sophie
Sophie Sophie marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Jacki
Jacki rated it liked it
May 13, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
Ismail
Ismail added it
Feb 22, 2016
Madison Messersmith
Madison Messersmith marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jan Ormerod grew up in the small towns of Western Australia, with three older sisters, and as a child she drew constantly and compulsively. She went to art school and studied drawing, painting and sculpture. After completing her degree, Jan become an Associate of the Western Australian Institute of Technology and Design in Education, taught in secondary schools on enrichment programmes, and lectur ...more
More about Jan Ormerod...