Start by marking “Personae: The Shorter Poems of Ezra Pound” as Want to Read:
Personae: The Shorter Poems of Ezra Pound

Personae: The Shorter Poems of Ezra Pound

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  720 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
If the invention of literary modernism is usually attributed to James Joyce, T. S. Eliot and Ezra Pound, it was Pound alone who provided (in Hugh Kenner's words) "the synergetic presence" to convert individual experiment into an international movement. In 1926 Pound carefully sculpted his body of shorter poems into a definitive collection which would best show the concentr ...more
Published May 1st 1990 by New Directions Publishing Corporation (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Personae, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Personae

Hadrian
Oct 17, 2015 Hadrian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, poetry
Rhythmic, meaningful, dense with historical references from troubadors to Li Po and Tertullian.
Eric
Dec 26, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Silet"

When I behold how black, immortal ink
Drips from my deathless pen--ah, well-away!
Why should we stop at all for what I think?
There is enough in what I chance to say.

It is enough that we once came together;
What is the use of setting it to rime?
When it is autumn do we get spring weather,
Or gather may of harsh northwindish time?

It is enough that we once came together;
What if the wind have turned against the rain?
It is enough that we once came together;
Time has seen this, and will not turn agai
Vi MacDhòmhnaill
Jan 01, 2016 Vi MacDhòmhnaill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
4.5
I do not like you, Ezra Pound.
You are a fascist and a racist and a raging anti-semite, and (perhaps most irritating of all) a bloody good poet.
Rahil Swan
I didn't read it from cover to cover in fact, I guess I need a more profound background in order to understand it better , I'll read it when i'll improve my language and my Latin culture :p But I loved what i managed to understand! i discovered great lines !
(I sough and sing / that love goes out/ leaving me no power to hold him/ Of love i have naught ) :'(
( Even in my dreams you have denied yourself to me, and sent me your handmaids ) <3
(But from where my heart is set/ No message I get / M
Sue
May 23, 2007 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
not shaking the grass"

More truth in these four lines than anything I have ever read.

Resolute and profound. I could read it over and over again.
Janel
Sep 03, 2007 Janel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Specifically I read Homage to Sextus Propertius, which I believe is in this edition of this book. I have a much older copy. Although I don't think I "got" a good percentage of the Greek references, I did love it for the sound and rhythm. I found myself readng it aloud.
Peter Crofts
Feb 23, 2015 Peter Crofts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading Pound's early poetry gives no clue that he will become one of the leading lights of the first generation of modernist poets. "In Durance" is by far one of my favorite poems of the last century, it's almost gnostic, but it looks back to the past. By the end of the volume you are smack dab in the middle of a literary revolution, with something like Hugh Selwyn Mauberly, that is still playing out. This volume also contains Cathay which are his translations of Chinese poetry of the Tang dyna ...more
Mitch
Jul 27, 2007 Mitch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great stuff. Mauberly, Propertius, Cathay...superb
Ryan
Nov 14, 2015 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Poems from Cathay were some of the greatest things I've ever read. Pound's actual poetry was too dense for me. He frequently alluded to history and literary characters that I had no clue about, Pound is too smart for me. There were a few gems that popped up, but there were too few. By all means he was probably the greatest teacher to have ever lived, and had a knowledge of the poetic tradition that is unrivaled. Unfortunately I found a lot of his poems not very moving to say the least. Probably ...more
Rob Woodard
Sep 25, 2009 Rob Woodard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been wrestling with Pound for years, and I've finally come to the conclusion that in regards to pure ability he's the best poet I've ever read. His understanding of language, meter and melody in verse is simple unbelievable. When he's rolling, his lines have so much life and are so much fun that they put the work of most poets to shame. Often, though, he erudition gets the best of him and he seems to confuse personal obsession with cultural worth, which creates a lot of needless obscurity a ...more
Talbot Hook
Aug 24, 2014 Talbot Hook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Empty are the ways,
Empty are the ways of this land
And the flowers
Bend over with heavy heads.
They bend in vain.
Empty are the ways of this land
Where Ione
Walked once, and now does not walk
But seems like a person just gone.
Yuri Bernales
Jan 16, 2015 Yuri Bernales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Look at this guy:

That sort of poet.
Piet Michael
Jul 19, 2014 Piet Michael rated it liked it
These poems are very high-browed and written in old-fashioned style with Trobadorian topics. They are partly hard to read, but intriguing after all.
Sandra
Feb 17, 2015 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Tantos millares de bellezas han bajado al Averno, dejad que alguna se quede arriba con nosotros..."
David
Aug 07, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Apart from the exhausting Antiquity-gauntlet which is "Homage to Sextus Propertius," everything here is golden. Would love to delve into the Cantos soon.
Andy
Oct 14, 2007 Andy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In addition to being a jerk, Pound was clearly intelligent and passionate about poetry, but a poet's actual interest has to be in life, and I get the impression Pound's interest was only in poetry. When he includes his "translations" of other poets who dared write about human experience, a breath of air comes suddenly into the book, and then quickly departs as we return to Pound's gratuitously obscure, self-important little discourses on himself or on his latest reading.
Rachel Smalter Hall
This book has one of my favorite lines of poetry ever. It's from Pound's poem about the river-merchant's wife. Observing pairs of butterflies as she thinks of her departed husband, she says simply, beautifully:

"They hurt me. I grow older."

Oh, Ezra Pound, you were such a kook. A stodgy old brilliant kook. I never would have wanted to know you in real life. But I guess I can say that about a lot of crotchety old writers.
Cooper Renner
May 31, 2008 Cooper Renner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even in this selection from Pound's early career, there are poems one doesn't need--hence the docking of one star from the rating. But this remains one of the premier books of poetry of the 20th century, one of the very few which readers ought to have. Perhaps my favorite is Homage to Sextus Propertius (which some classical scholars hate), but "The River Merchant's Wife" is also here and many other fine works.
Mark
Mar 22, 2009 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a lot of Ezra Pound's poetry. If sometimes he seems too technical, it's always with some type of emotion...that perhaps he pilfered from the past, but still. Second-hand sublimity is sublimity still.

I consider Pound a musician. Even when I don't understand what his poems are saying, they still sound beautiful. The rhythm gets-- what does he say?-- caught in your ear. Pound is my Penelope.
Peter Barnes
Nov 04, 2007 Peter Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Doria

Be in me as the eternal moods
of the bleak wind, and not
As transient things are—
gaiety of flowers.
Have me in the strong loneliness 5
of sunless cliffs
And of gray waters.
Let the gods speak softly of us
In days hereafter,
the shadowy flowers of Orcus 10
Remember thee.
Ty
Feb 12, 2012 Ty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read about half of these poems, and I'm a poetry newb, but they were alright. My knowledge of ancient Greek literature extends as far as maybe a play or two by Sophocles, so I got nothing of those references. In general, Pound is trying to be too erudite. Plus he's a fascist and all that.
Jeffrey
I like Ezra Pound. I know a lot of people will disagree for a lot of different reasons, but this is one of my favorite volumes of poetry (it's also hard to imagine greater diversity in a collection of one poet's work).
Bobsie67
Aug 08, 2008 Bobsie67 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Perhaps the most difficult poetry that I've ever tried to read. Maybe even more difficult than John Donne, if that's possible.
Daniel Seifert
Oct 08, 2011 Daniel Seifert marked it as picked-up-periodically  ·  review of another edition
A found an old version, a New Direction Book (1926) while helping an old French professor clean out out his flat
Ben
Jun 05, 2007 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modernisme, poetry
There's a lot of poetic variety here, and Pound does it all well. I especially like them when they're short.
Clint
Nov 03, 2007 Clint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is there to say about Ezra Pound people haven't said before? The solitary volcano indeed!
Robyn
Jan 19, 2008 Robyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the poem
The River-Merchant's Wife: A Letter
Bill Bogert
Deeply influenced by the poem Hugh Selwyn Mauberley
Heather
Jan 17, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the only book of poetry I thoroughly enjoyed.
Laura Wetsel
Mar 18, 2009 Laura Wetsel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I sleep with this under my pillow.
  • "A"
  • Collected Works
  • Houseboat Days
  • The Pound Era
  • Grave of Light: New and Selected Poems, 1970-2005
Ezra Weston Loomis Pound was an American expatriate poet, critic and intellectual who was a major figure of the Modernist movement in early-to-mid 20th century poetry.

Pound's The Cantos contains music and bears a title that could be translated as The Songs—although it never is. Pound's ear was tuned to the motz et sons of troubadour poetry where, as musicologist John Stevens has noted, "melody and
More about Ezra Pound...

“Till now they send him dreams and no more deed;
So doth he flame again with might for action,
Forgetful of the council of the elders,
Forgetful that who rules doth no more battle,
Forgetful that such might no more cleaves to him
So doth he flame again toward valiant doing.”
4 likes
“We claim no glory. If the tempest rolls