Start by marking “Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine: An Introduction to Knowledge and Practice” as Want to Read:

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Following a survey of ancient, early medieval, and Islamic medicine, Siraisi discusses the categories and conditions of medical practice in the twelfth to the fifteenth centuries; the development of medical education; knowledge of physiology and anatomy; concepts of disease; and therapies, including surgery.
Published (first published June 15th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medieval and Early Renaissance Medicine

This was one of the texts for courses in the History of Science I took at the University of Oklahoma (which offers degrees in the History of Science).

If I had a quarrel with the book, it's that it didn't offer much quarter to non-academic medicine. Except for the nobility and the rich in cities, most people got medical care locally during these periods, and the training and theoretical bases of midwifery, etc are fairly scantily covered in this book.

There should also have been more coverage of t
C.P. Lesley
A really fascinating, well-written, easy to follow introduction to medieval and Renaissance medicine in theory and practice. It is not the author's fault that she didn't tell me what I wanted to know: how our ancestors understood and (attempted to) treat heart disease. But I did learn many other things, and the list of sources in the notes/bibliography is priceless. If you are not a doctor and need a brief overview of medicine up to the year 1600, this is the place to start.

Philip Pormann's Medi
Excellent, a delight to read, covers the most important bases of early medicine. I use it all the time in my research and teaching.
Interesting read, easy to understand, and a very good introduction to how medieval medical practitioners thought
The academic writing style gives a dry, but information rich, look into the history of medicine.
Pretty interesting... Watch out for those anal fistulas!
really... really ... dry reading.
Jo Walton
Jo Walton marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Osiris Oliphant
Osiris Oliphant marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
John added it
Aug 16, 2015
India marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Arshad Khan
Arshad Khan marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Tanya Hakala
Tanya Hakala marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Emily Seger
Emily Seger marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Jen Swinney
Jen Swinney marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Axel Byberg Fosse
Axel Byberg Fosse marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Waldo Varjak
Waldo Varjak marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Diego marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
History, Medicine, and the Traditions of Renaissance Learning The Clock and the Mirror: Girolamo Cardano and Renaissance Medicine Taddeo Alderotti And His Pupils: Two Generations Of Italian Medical Learning Avicenna in Renaissance Italy: The Canon and Medical Teaching in Italian Universities After 1500 Communities of Learned Experience: Epistolary Medicine in the Renaissance