Start by marking “Caleb's Story” as Want to Read:
Caleb's Story

Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,492 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Anna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill. In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bird prints in the mud. But it is hard for me. It is hard for me to find things to write about."

Published August 1st 2002 by Perfection Learning (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Caleb's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caleb's Story

Merri Platt
This is the third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. It focuses on Caleb, the son of Jacob Witting, the stepson of Sarah, the younger brother of Anna and the older brother of Cassie. It starts out with his sister, Anna, giving him a journal to write down what happens on the farm and the family while she is away from them. Anna will be close but not close enough to live on the farm. She is helping the town Doctor by being his nurse. She doesn't want to miss anything so Anna asks Caleb to k ...more
Patti
“Caleb’s Story” is the third story in the “Sarah, Plain and Tall” series. The Witting family adds a little sister, Cassie who is now about 4. Annie gives the family journal to Caleb for him to add to, as she is going off to town for school and to work for the doctor.

Little Cassie is the first to spot a strange man behind the barn. Bitter feelings and resentment arise when Jacob realizes that this stranger is his long lost father, who walked away from the family with no explanation when Jacob wa
Patricia MacLachlan always seems to be able to fill my heart with her stories. Doesn't hurt that many of her main characters have the same names as people in my family. She manages to put a whole adult-sized novel's worth of character development into simple plots with lots of "white space" for each reader to bring themselves into the family she presents in such a short read.
Anne Slater
Too long ago (within past 2 years, though) to say more than "I love Patricia MacLachlan-- if she wrote for cereal boxes, I'd read them"
Josiah
Anna, through whose eyes and emotional perspective we received the narrative in Sarah, Plain and Tall and its sequel, Skylark, is an older teenager by the time that the events in this third book take place, and lives in town apart from her family. Before she first left home, though, she gave her younger brother Caleb a blank notebook journal of his own, and told him that it was now his responsibility to write down what happened in the family, recording the significant events of their lives in p ...more
Christy
Anna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bird prints in the mud. But it is hard for me. It is hard for me to find things to write about."It's your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, a...moreAnna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bir
Samantha
Caleb’s Story would be appropriate for kids in upper elementary and middle school. This chapter book is the third in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Their family has expanded and become a cohesive unit. The winter weather has caused some problems, but they are used to it. Anna, the oldest daughter, is staying in town to work for the doctor, her future father-in-law. Jacob, the father, is also going into town for some business and won’t return for a few days. The rest of the family is left at h ...more
Molly
In this installment of the series, Caleb narrates the story as Anna has left for school in town. Jacob and Sarah have also added to the family and Caleb now has a younger sister, Cassie. Jacob's father comes back into their lives after leaving, but he may not be ready to to forgive him.
I thought this was a lovely story about family and forgiveness. I also enjoyed seeing this family grow and develop.
Mario
I liked how Jacobs grandpa came home and how Caleb taught him how to read and wright.
The story was about when Jacobs grandpa comes home and helps out. When Sarah went out in to a storm grandpa and Caleb had to find her in a snow pile. They get her inside and save her.
I didn't like how the story just kind of stops. I also didn't like how it didn't tell if Sarah was the mother or sister.
Sharon
Anna has given me an arduous task. I,Caleb, must continue writing the story of our family life. I don't like journal writing and have no talent with words.We work on our farm--we go to school; besides nothing happens here or so I thought. Cassie and I find a strange man in our barn; John (our long-lost grandfather) joins our family. My journal writing comes to life!

"The wind howls outside, the snow and sleet hitting the windows like stones tossed there. Inside it is peaceful. But John doesn't lo
Pinky
Anna has grown and is working with a doctor in town and Caleb has taken over as narrator in this third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Jacob's father arrives surrounded in mystery. Another solid, beautifully told story, but I miss Anna and Sarah and am not as attached to little sister Cassie.
Angela
For some reason the way Caleb acts and talks in this whole series gives me the impression that he is a little slow. Having this book be from his perspective made it less interesting because he doesn't have the insights that she does. I do like the story line, though.
What a delight it was to find this book (published in 2001) after having read and seen the Hallmark Hall of Fame versions of Sarah Plain and Tall(pub 1985) and Skylark(pub 1994) so many years ago! This one was also adapted into a film, apparently with the title "Winter's End". Seeing Christopher Walken as stoic prairie family man again after such.... uh, memorable, roles as he's had in Pulp Fiction, the Weapon of Choice video, etc., should be a treat.

Preview the book from Google Books
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good book, sad in some moments, but also has some sweet moments too. Recommend the book as the other books, Skylark and Sarah Plain and Tall.
Maggie
Lovely continuation of the Whitting family as they are introduced to a new member who brings happiness to some and pain to others.
Cheryl
During the school year, this is where I'm at: between children's literature and educational giberish! I prefer the children's lit. Caleb's Story is a follow-up on Sarah Plain and Tall, by the same author. It is rich in figurative language and tells a warm and insightful story of a family torn apart by misunderstanding and pulled together through the hope of children. A wonderful read for any age... but I specifically gave this assignment to 4th graders. Remember, parents, as important as it is t ...more
Kate
I am constantly surprised (and pleasantly so!) just how lyrical Patricia MacLachlan's writing is. This is the third book in the 'Sarah, Plain and Tall' series, and the first two were told by Anna, Sarah's step-daughter. In this book, Anna has given the responsibility for the family's story to Caleb. Because of this, I was expecting the writing to be markedly different. While it is very clear that this is Caleb's voice (emphasis is put on things in a different way than Anna would have done), MacL ...more
Tamara
For me personally this was the best book of the series thus far. However, for Amelia I felt a lot of the themes were a little above her head. She enjoyed the book a lot, especially the addition of Cassie!
Daryl
A sweet book. I love this series. Great for kids and I think adults also.
Sandy
"It's your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, and their new little sister, Cassie, have already formed a family, and Caleb fears there will be nothing left to write about. That is, before Cassie discovers a mysterious old man in the barn, and everything changes. Everyone is excited about the arrival of a new family member--except for Jacob, who holds a bitter grudge. Only the special love of Caleb, ...more
Kathryne
Anna has moved to town to go to school and to assist the local doctor. She has passed the responsibility of recording the family’s story on to Caleb. At first Caleb feels there isn’t much to tell and doubts his own abilities to write as well as his sister. But then his little sister Cassie meets a strange man in their barn and suddenly Caleb has an interesting story to tell. Who is this strange man? Why is he here? What does he want? Why is Papa so angry with him?

This was a touching story of fo
Kendall
May 24, 2014 Kendall is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Read this book very good
Arielle
Jun 14, 2012 Arielle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grade school children
Recommended to Arielle by: the last page of Skylark
Not as good as the first two in the Sarah Plain and Tall series, but still nicely written and wonderful pacing. The tone of the story is effectively changed with the change of narrator. I usually don't like change, but I didn't miss Anna's character anywhere near as much as I thought I would. MacLachlan is wonderful at conveying who the characters are without excessive description (almost sole use of dialogue and narration). The characters are so lovable. A fairly predictable, yet, hear-warming ...more
Prady
I like it because there was Jacob who was mad at John.
It is because John didn't know how to write.

Natalie
Patricia MacLachlan's books are so charming. Now that I have finished Sarah, Plain and Tall, Skylark, and Caleb's Story, I will have decide whether to venture into more MacLachlan books. (How sad that my library doesn't have More Perfect than the Moon on audio. Maybe I can convince them to buy it!) I have listened to these stories on audio and I just really like the voice - not only of the reader, but just the voice of the stories. Delightful, clean and full of heart.
Sydney
its about Cassie saw a man and Sarah took him in and they don't know who he is but when their papa came in he got all mad because he thought his father was dead and then the rest of the days Caleb's dad was really mad then Caleb told his pa to make up with his grandpa when they did their pa broke his ankle after they fixed it Sarah got buried in the snow and they rescued her. before Caleb was teaching grandpa to write.at the end Caleb gave grandpa his own journal.
Elizabeth S
As with the other books of the series, this is a beautiful, simple, choice little gem. There is hardship, love, work, patience, loss, and joy. We learn forgiveness through the lives of the characters. I appreciated that changes of heart don't come during dramatic, Hollywood events. Rather, changes come through hard work, patience, wisdom, and faith. Only these virtues are seldom discussed by name, they are merely displayed in the life of the characters.
Heidi
Love the series and have already seen the third movie. Might as well read the book.

Okay, now read--and it's exactly like the movie! I like that we get Caleb's point of view in this book, although I did miss having Anna. Still, it was nice that Caleb was able to get a final sense of belonging and vision/goal of his future--especially as it relates to the connection of his "emotional-barriered" father.
Allie C
I gave this book four stars because at the end of the book it leaves you wanting more.It pulls you in to the prombles and it makes you feel like you are in the book itself. It is about Papa the dad and his dad are not talking to each other because when Papa was little his dad left him.That is why they are not talking to each other until Sarh get hurt in a storm and then they talk to each other.
Patricia MacLachlan has made another sequel to Sarah, Plain, and Tall and it is still as great at the first and second book! In this book we meet a strange man with one big secret - He's Caleb's grandfather! Caleb's father, Jacob, is angry when he finds out his father is at their house, but with some work their relationship is bound back together.
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • The Gold Cadillac
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Teacher's Funeral : A Comedy in Three Parts
  • The Night Journey
  • The Cabin Faced West
  • The Birthday Room
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Toy Dance Party (Toys #2)
  • The Story of the Walnut Tree
  • Star in the Storm
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • All the Way Home
  • Dragon: Hound of Honor
  • Castle Diary: The Journal of Tobias Burgess
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...

Sarah, Plain and Tall (5 books)
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)
Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2) Waiting for the Magic All the Places to Love Edward's Eyes

“... I want most of all for you to forgive Grandfather. I want you to forgive Grandfather so I can grow up and be just like you.” 6 likes