Start by marking “Caleb's Story” as Want to Read:
Caleb's Story

Caleb's Story (Sarah, Plain and Tall #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,878 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
The third book in MacLachlan's popular series, which began with Sarah, Plainand Tall and was continued in Skylark, spins a tale of love, forgiveness, and the ties that bind a family together.
Published August 3rd 2004 by Perfection Learning (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Caleb's Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caleb's Story

Marklessgirl
May 15, 2016 Marklessgirl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Yes, it did make me cry. It was a little predictable but still a lot of fun and some surprises! Would highly recommend for younger people and family
I liked that it was not told from Anna's point of view anymore but I did love her! I kind of wish there would have been more books by Caleb.
Jessica
Heart warming and heart WRENCHING! I loved it. I fall in love with the characters more and more with each book.

Forgiveness is the main theme here. Not just, "I'm sorry" and then "Oh, that's okay" kind of thing. No. The What-I-did-was-wrong-and-naming-it confession...and then words of love that conveyed forgiveness. Yes. This.

One of my favorite scenes...
[after receiving a gift]
Grandfather put a hand on his chest.
"Grandfather?"
I was scared. I thought he was sick.
Grandfather waved me away.
"It
Stacy
Apr 04, 2016 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Merri Platt
Oct 29, 2014 Merri Platt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. It focuses on Caleb, the son of Jacob Witting, the stepson of Sarah, the younger brother of Anna and the older brother of Cassie. It starts out with his sister, Anna, giving him a journal to write down what happens on the farm and the family while she is away from them. Anna will be close but not close enough to live on the farm. She is helping the town Doctor by being his nurse. She doesn't want to miss anything so Anna asks Caleb to k ...more
Patti
Oct 12, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Caleb’s Story” is the third story in the “Sarah, Plain and Tall” series. The Witting family adds a little sister, Cassie who is now about 4. Annie gives the family journal to Caleb for him to add to, as she is going off to town for school and to work for the doctor.

Little Cassie is the first to spot a strange man behind the barn. Bitter feelings and resentment arise when Jacob realizes that this stranger is his long lost father, who walked away from the family with no explanation when Jacob wa
Lindsay
Jul 14, 2015 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great addition to the series. I really enjoyed being able to continue on the journey from Caleb's perspective, I found it enjoyable and it was neat to see things through his eyes. Caleb was by far my favourite character in Sarah Plain And Tall, when my teacher first read it to me and this book brought back the wonderful feelings of nostalgia and happiness, it was perfect! I highly recommend it to people who have read the first two books in the series.

I just love reading the Sara Plain An
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Anna has done something terrible.
She has given me a journal to fill.

MacLachlan has done something terrible. Many years after the enchanting story of Sarah, Plain and Tall, she had some pages to fill. Perhaps she had some money to earn, or a publisher to placate. But by 2000, strangely, she seems to have regressed from the tight, engaging writing she produced in 1985, or 1993 with Baby. Oh, all the ingredients are there for what could be a cracking good read dealing with serious issues, such as a
Dec 28, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia MacLachlan always seems to be able to fill my heart with her stories. Doesn't hurt that many of her main characters have the same names as people in my family. She manages to put a whole adult-sized novel's worth of character development into simple plots with lots of "white space" for each reader to bring themselves into the family she presents in such a short read.
Anne Slater
Feb 03, 2014 Anne Slater rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too long ago (within past 2 years, though) to say more than "I love Patricia MacLachlan-- if she wrote for cereal boxes, I'd read them"
Heather
Jun 30, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, reading-rainbow
Simple yet poetic, soul stirring writing fills the pages of Caleb's Story. The third installment of the Sarah, Plain and Tall series in told from the eyes of Caleb as Anna has passed pen and paper to him. Caleb is both sensitive and pragmatic. There is plenty of adventure and emotion found in this short book. I teared up more than I ever have during any Hallmark movie. But I also smiled plenty at the family's love for one another. I enjoyed meeting two new family members-Cassie, the newest addit ...more
Josiah
Jun 03, 2011 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Anna, through whose eyes and emotional perspective we received the narrative in Sarah, Plain and Tall and its sequel, Skylark, is an older teenager by the time that the events in this third book take place, and lives in town apart from her family. Before she first left home, though, she gave her younger brother Caleb a blank notebook journal of his own, and told him that it was now his responsibility to write down what happened in the family, recording the significant events of their lives in p ...more
Christy
Anna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bird prints in the mud. But it is hard for me. It is hard for me to find things to write about."It's your job now," Anna says as she hands Caleb her journals, asking him to continue writing the family story. But Sarah, Jacob, Anna, Caleb, a...moreAnna has done something terrible. She has given me her journal to fill.
In Anna's journal the words walk across the page like bir
Samantha
Feb 23, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Caleb’s Story would be appropriate for kids in upper elementary and middle school. This chapter book is the third in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Their family has expanded and become a cohesive unit. The winter weather has caused some problems, but they are used to it. Anna, the oldest daughter, is staying in town to work for the doctor, her future father-in-law. Jacob, the father, is also going into town for some business and won’t return for a few days. The rest of the family is left at h ...more
Emily
Jun 22, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Mom
I had read the first two books in the series many times as a child. However, I only read Caleb's Story once. I always thought it was too sad. I reread it now and understand everything so much more. I understand the grief Jacob was experiencing. Now, the book seems inspirational to me as love and forgiveness can overcome everything, even years of grief and feelings of betrayal.

Interesting Fact: The movie based on this book is called Winter's End. Both are good titles I think.
Kathleen
I enjoyed reading this book. It was very easy to read and there was never really a time where I got tired of reading it. I had read the previous book in the series, Sarah Plain and Tall when I was a kid, so the story's characters were somewhat familiar to me. I think the author conveyed a valuable lesson in the story: forgiveness. This is something many people struggle with and this story reminds us that life is too short to hold grudges.
Sharon
Oct 02, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anna has given me an arduous task. I,Caleb, must continue writing the story of our family life. I don't like journal writing and have no talent with words.We work on our farm--we go to school; besides nothing happens here or so I thought. Cassie and I find a strange man in our barn; John (our long-lost grandfather) joins our family. My journal writing comes to life!

"The wind howls outside, the snow and sleet hitting the windows like stones tossed there. Inside it is peaceful. But John doesn't lo
Musiquedevie
Apr 25, 2015 Musiquedevie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't familiar that there was a 3rd book to "Sarah, Plain & Tall." I was thrilled to find it! What a wonderful story, one that not only gives the reader an update of how the Witting family is doing but also teaches a powerful lesson of forgiveness. What a refreshing read and another beautiful work by Patricia MacLachlan.
Pinky
Apr 13, 2014 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-14
Anna has grown and is working with a doctor in town and Caleb has taken over as narrator in this third book in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. Jacob's father arrives surrounded in mystery. Another solid, beautifully told story, but I miss Anna and Sarah and am not as attached to little sister Cassie.
Stacy Luce
Aug 04, 2016 Stacy Luce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fast, fun book to read. I read the previous two books in this series when I was younger, but only recently realized there were more. This is a pretty simple story that highly values family and tough forgiveness. I'm excited for my daughter to read this series one day.
Erin
I liked this one the best so far, though it bugs me that every time someone says something even mildly serious, they ALWAYS say it "softly," which sounded pretty repetitive after a while, haha. Looking forward to continuing on with the last two books when I can find copies of them. :)
Angela
Dec 28, 2014 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason the way Caleb acts and talks in this whole series gives me the impression that he is a little slow. Having this book be from his perspective made it less interesting because he doesn't have the insights that she does. I do like the story line, though.
Autumn
Jun 12, 2015 Autumn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-books
This book was interspersed with Caleb's journal entries. I love that it showed not only his commentary on things, but also how much his writing improved as the story progressed. This short story was warm and wonderful.
Connie D
Feb 06, 2016 Connie D rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For lovers of Sarah, Plain and Tall. This is a follow-up, a lovely, sweet book that resonates with me even though I'm no longer a child. MacLachlan shows us great depth of feeling through characters' actions and terse statements. (As a child, I would have given this 5 stars. As an adult, it's a short story.)
Abby
Feb 09, 2016 Abby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked hearing this story in Caleb's voice. He has grown into a fine man. The story is about forgiveness and learning to love. These stories are always a little sad as they talk about real life and the struggles of relationships. Great book for all ages to read.
What a delight it was to find this book (published in 2001) after having read and seen the Hallmark Hall of Fame versions of Sarah Plain and Tall(pub 1985) and Skylark(pub 1994) so many years ago! This one was also adapted into a film, apparently with the title "Winter's End". Seeing Christopher Walken as stoic prairie family man again after such.... uh, memorable, roles as he's had in Pulp Fiction, the Weapon of Choice video, etc., should be a treat.

Preview the book from Google Books
Karen
Jul 25, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third is this series, Caleb is now in charge of the journals. A mysterious man arrives at the farm after Anna move to town to help the doctor.
Barb
Dec 17, 2015 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to this. Jacob's father comes back after being gone almost his whole life. So predictable. Not as good as some of her other books.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Good book, sad in some moments, but also has some sweet moments too. Recommend the book as the other books, Skylark and Sarah Plain and Tall.
Christina
I had to read the whole "Sarah Plain & Tall" series for school a while back and I think I remember liking at least half of them. :)
Maggie
Lovely continuation of the Whitting family as they are introduced to a new member who brings happiness to some and pain to others.
  • The Doll Shop Downstairs
  • The Ballad of Lucy Whipple
  • The Night Journey
  • Rose's Story (The Girls of Lighthouse Lane, #2)
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • The Light and the Glory for Children: Discovering God's Plan for America from Christopher Columbus to George Washington
  • On the Wings of Heroes
  • The Invisible Friend (Viking Quest, #3)
  • The Cabin Faced West
  • All the Way Home
  • Star in the Storm
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Dragon: Hound of Honor
  • Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)
  • Dear Austin: Letters from the Underground Railroad
  • Much Ado About Grubstake
  • Jenny of the Tetons
  • Dandelion
Patricia MacLachlan is a bestselling U.S. children's author, best known for winning the 1986 Newbery Medal for her book Sarah, Plain and Tall.

For more information, please see http://www.answers.com/topic/patricia...
More about Patricia MacLachlan...

Sarah, Plain and Tall (5 books)
  • Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1)
  • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
  • More Perfect than the Moon (Sarah, Plain and Tall #4)
  • Grandfather's Dance (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #5)

“... I want most of all for you to forgive Grandfather. I want you to forgive Grandfather so I can grow up and be just like you.” 6 likes