Start by marking “The Ohio Knitting Mills Knitting Book: 26 Patterns Celebrating Four Decades of American Sweater Style” as Want to Read:

Vintage-inspired projects culled from the archives of the legendary knitwear maker. Paris, Mil....
Published August 9th 2010 by Artisan

To ask other readers questions about The Ohio Knitting Mills Knitting Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ohio Knitting Mills Knitting Book

Carol
Jan 17, 2011 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Although a knitting book is not what you would normally add to a reading list, this book gave a wonderful history of the Ohio Knitting Mills and the knitwear industry in the America of 1940s to 70s. Kind of Pop Culture of knit fashion! It makes me sad to think of the rich fashion history Cleveland had and how quickly that changed with cheap imports! I thought about Mary Grace's involvement in several Cleveland fashion icons...Bobbie Brooks for one...all gone now.
Keonaona
Jan 12, 2011 Keonaona rated it liked it
I copyedited this puppy. It was good fun; the history was interesting, and the patterns intriguing. I've flagged a couple to try out sometime after I get my yarn stash in order.
Tonileg
Nov 27, 2012 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
Another cute retro hand knitting patterns with great photos and a good premise because there is also a story around the Ohio Mills and its old patterns.
I would wear about half of the sweater patterns and I bought it new $17.95 before the Border's closed in our town.

New American Gentleman - men's vest with added decorations like needlepoint
Le Petit Pull et Amie - cute short sleeve with V collar and matching skirt with cabled pattern
Winter Wonderland - men's sweater with a brick Fair-Isle pattern
Kerfe
May 07, 2011 Kerfe rated it it was amazing
Besides the fun sweaters (and more) with knitting instuctions, for a variety of skill levels, "Ohio Knitting Mills" is a social history of the rise and fall of manufacturing in the United States. Who knew that when I was growing up in Cleveland it was home to a vibrant garment industry, home to many knitting mills? Fifty years later textile and garment manufacturing in the United States is pretty much dead. It's a sobering memorial to work that we haven't figured out how to replace.

But you can s
Katarina
Nov 05, 2012 Katarina rated it really liked it
My favorite things about this book are approach the writers have taken and the fact that it includes designs for men as well as women. The idea here is that the Ohio knitting mills produced wonderful clothing for decades, much of which defined American style, and now the patterns have been updated for a modern home knitter. The book is divided up by decade, with explanations of the changing times and photographs of the mills, their employees, and (of course) knitwear of the times. Each pattern i ...more
Cinnamon
I admit I wanted this book for the pattern for the dress on the cover. But I also wanted it because I like Ohio (to some degree) and I wanted to know more about this business. I have a sweater made by them that is close to being on it's last legs, but I love it immensely. There are several great and modern patterns in this book. In a few cases, the original pattern I find more interesting than the updated pattern, but that is few and far between. All in all, if you are interested in the history ...more
Jane
May 14, 2011 Jane added it
Shelves: crafts
I like the Poor Boy and Father Knows Best sweaters, although I dislike how the Poor Boy has been re-styled on the model to have a lower and less defined waist. I think I'll be sticking with vintage patterns to make mine someday!
Denise
Dec 05, 2010 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this bad boy!
Mckinley
Sep 01, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Nothing for me.
Erin
Jun 27, 2011 Erin rated it it was amazing
A lovely treasury of vintage patterns re-imagined for the modern day, accompanied by historical tidbits and archival photos. Love it!
Aparna
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
nancy johnson
nancy johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2015
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it really liked it
May 07, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it did not like it
Jun 12, 2011
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
wabbit
wabbit rated it really liked it
May 23, 2017
Leslie Clarkson
Leslie Clarkson rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2015
Mandy
Sep 30, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
beyond my skill set, yet totally awesome.
Kristin Roach
Kristin Roach rated it really liked it
May 31, 2012
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2011
Meghan
Meghan rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2015
Laura Dunham
Laura Dunham rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Coral
Coral rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Virginia McKee
Virginia McKee rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2013
Laura Tejada
Laura Tejada rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2014